Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Win or entertain - what makes you feel pride , or feel good ? Poll

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is more important to you, when you pay to watch a Wolves game ?

Yes we all want to win , we all want to want be entertained . Many are saying they haven't enjoyed watching our recent matches so is that fair , as we have been doing alright for results ?

What gives you the biggest pride being 6th or above or being a supporter of an entertaining side ?

Nivada

Reaction score
I'm a winner, I was born to win so you know what I'm putting.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Priority is to win.
The rest is a bonus, but I don't think its unreasonable to hope/prefer to be entertained in the process as the team develops and grows.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are not mutually exclusive. Winning is important, though entertainment is pretty high as well. Otherwise, what's the point!

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it was all about winning comfortably then let's drop a division. We are still growing as a team, were not going to steam roll sides in the Premier, week in, week out.

At times we have shown some brilliant glimpses of what we can do, as we develop, they should become more often.

2 7th placed finishes shows we are close to the top, but we need time to push on.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
False dichotomy. The Liverpool team of the 70s/ 80s and the Man U team of the 90s/00s both won (often by big scores) and were both hugely entertaining. Wolves in the 50s -- we mostly won, often by big scores and were also great to watch. So combining the two can be and has been done.

Reactions: Ian

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
False dichotomy. The Liverpool team of the 70s/ 80s and the Man U team of the 90s/00s both won (often by big scores) and were both hugely entertaining. Wolves in the 50s -- we mostly won, often by big scores and were also great to watch. So combining the two can be and has been done.
But would you take the George Graham 1-0 to the arsenal league title or the parking the bus Chelsea team under Mourinho that won stuff, id happily take both and win things but then I dont have a problem with how we play now

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll be in the minority, but I choose entertainment.

I love it when we win. Hate it when we lose. But the stuff about football that hits the spot for me falls under the entertainment category. Brilliant goals, mazy runs, a young player having a stormer that makes the headlines, going toe-to-toe with a 'better' team.

We could be abject against Southampton, truly abysmal, but somehow squeak out a 1-0 win with a goal bobbling in off Raul's nipple. Great. I wouldn't say no.

Or we might draw 2-2, in a hell for leather game where Adama is rampaging, Saiss slices Ward-Prowse in half but only gets a yellow, Silva comes on, slaloms past three players and scores a thunderbolt in the 90th minute... you get the idea.

I enjoy attacking football and watching goals. If that brings about the win, then perfect; that's the point. But I confess I struggle to get invested in safety-first football that brings about long sequences of 0-0, 1-0, 0-1, 1-1, even if that's more successful.

Just me, though.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
why does it have to be one or the other, ideally both

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He who dares Rodney.
Usually winners are those that put it on the line and are prepared to take the risk of losing at times to go for the win

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder how many that voted win are the same ones who have been complaining about how boring we have become in the wins since the original lockdown was lifted?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely winning is everything
That said usually teams that win regularly are usually pretty entertaining too
To be entertaining requires confidence, and nothing breeds confidence more than winning
I have criticised some of the performances of late,but mainly because i know we have the players to perform much better
A few tweaks, and a few players to hit their best form, and we will entertain and win im sure

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Silly poll"- "they are not mutually exclusive" - "teams in the past have done both."

Sure

Yet I have read so many posts saying if we "open up our play" we will lose more games.

We all want both but we are definitely playing a contained defensive style and that is a proactive choice in order to pick up points.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used to be in the result is all that matters camp, but now I want to enjoy us playing good football, but this comes in many guises, not necessarily just attacking wise, I like to see a strong defensive performance and find that as entertaining in many ways.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used to be in the result is all that matters camp, but know I want to enjoy us playing good football, but this comes in many guises, not necessarily just attacking wise, I like to see a strong defensive performance and find that as entertaining in many ways.
I do appreciate watching a defensive game. But it's an acquired taste , and usually appreciated if against a strong team. Watching us defend against the likes of Fulham , Huddersfiled or Brighton, leaves me cold.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am a 1-0 guy everytime.
That said..there is a gulf of difference between winning 1-0..and losing 0-1.
That difference is essential.That difference is what ultimatley is dividing professional football from amateur.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Results will take care of themselves if you play well, Pulisaurus would say the result is most important but that's a very short term mind set as was proven at Albion

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Football is not entertainment, it's a sport. And the aim of any sport is to win. So, it's win for me

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As long as WWFC is in the top flight of football capable of beating anyone on the day that's all that's necessary. Of course that has to come with the caveat that the club still looks and feels like WWFC that plays at iconic Molineux and not some football version of a McDonalds franhise.

The long years bobbing along as a second division club was a travesty to the heritage and name of a fine old football club.

I couldn't care less if I watch sweeping attacking football, cagey 'keep it tight' football or wing it by a whisker football as long as we are competing with the best. I could care even less about winning trophies as that comes sometimes when you are able to properly compete at the top level.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching is very difficult and frustrating sometimes and many times it’s far from entertaining. Waiting and hoping to score, usually in the second half is lousy.......very seldom can I relax because we have a 2 goal lead.
And even when we are winning and the clock is running down, I know very well that we have conceded goals late in the game so I can’t relax until the final whistle.
Now part of this is due to my own football philosophy.......if you’re not attacking, you’re losing and the constant passing back drives me nuts.
Winning is of course more important but I think we played more entertaining football in our first and second seasons back up. This year not so much.

But Wolves are part of my DNA and I have to watch, albeit with, groans, pacing, shouting instructions, curses, grimaces, frightening the tv.......and this is just over the toss up.:)

Last edited:

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I voted entertain for pride but win feels so good

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we all want our team to win but we also want to see a great game as well, Ideally its good to get both together but if not I'll settle for victory

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Win....... In style.

When people talk about their favourite teams and era's its usually the 50's, 70's or Turner/Bully teams...... fast, free flowing , high scoring teams that picked up trophys.
Not the same fondness for Hoddles or Jacketts 0-0 seasons.

Wolf79

Groupie
Reaction score
Win....... In style.

When people talk about their favourite teams and era's its usually the 50's, 70's or Turner/Bully teams...... fast, free flowing , high scoring teams that picked up trophys.
Not the same fondness for Hoddles or Jacketts 0-0 seasons.
Agree win in style, but a bit unfair mentioning Kenny Jackett alongside Hoddle. We played some great football with Sako, Adobe & Dicko.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were brilliant last year against Spurs and Liverpool at Molineux, absolutely superb. Fast, attacking, entertaining... I left both games feeling gutted

We were poor against Sheff Utd and just about deserved the draw we got - I felt better after that game

Results > entertainment

Blackpool were entertaining, The **** were boring but got results (most the time), where are they both now?

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am a 1-0 guy everytime.
That said..there is a gulf of difference between winning 1-0..and losing 0-1.
That difference is essential.That difference is what ultimatley is dividing professional football from amateur.
“The difference between winning and losing is essential”

Id never realised that before, I really hope Nuno is picking up some of these pearls of wisdom.

Back
Top Bottom