Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Will we finish higher than 13th?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will score more than 36. We will finish about the same position and points wise.

There's the problem, for me. If Raul was fully fit and we had a reliable backup striker who could chip in with the goals, I really think we would be top 10. However, goal scoring is the whole point of the game and as Raul is still some way from fully fit and we don't have any other reliable goal scorers, that lack of goals will be our curse. I think we'll more see more of what we've been seeing - lots of creative attacking play, let down by poor finishing. Will be happy to get the 38 points or so needed to survive.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People are seriously judging our inability to score against Man U , Leicester and spurs .

Tight games with only a handful of clear cut chances . Wait until we get better chances vs the weaker opposition

The only reason we will finish below 13th is due to Jeff Shi transfer strategy, and injuries

We had several clear cut chances. Every other PL match I've seen has goals scored from half-chances, where we are missing the ones that should be in. I think Expected Goals has us around 5 so far.It can happen to any team for 1 or 2 matches. But that's now 4 in a row, 5 including the Forest matches where we scored 4 but missed sitters, too.

It is still early, and hopefully our finishing can't remain as abject and unlucky every single match. But still, the pattern that's emerging is of a team that does not score as many as it "should". Which is going to always put us behind those teams who take there chances and make the most of their half -chances.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His experience prior to this is about the equivalent of the Southern League Premier Division.
Previous experience, for me, is largely irrelevant. The question is 'can he step up to meet the physical and mental demands of the Prem' ?
Physically I don't see a problem; mentally, I guess we will find out this season.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Once we start scoring it wouldn't surprise me if we absolutely batter a few teams this season. Just fingers crossed we don't have any injuries.
I agree I think once Raul is back to himself we will pick up. Watford is a good acid test

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely will finish higher.
We have dominated play in our first 3 games, without being able to put one goal on the board.

Our luck will change and wins will materialise.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly. It's a shame that we didn't do anything to address this in the transfer window. We are needing/expecting/hoping that most of our current team will up their scoring rates to career bests.
I think most of them will come good. If we’re playing more attacking football then law of averages says they’ll score more goals.

Reality is you don’t need anyone to even hit double figures to have a high scoring team, you just need to spread the goals around. I don’t see why we can’t get 40 goals out of our 6 forwards (+ Neto). Another 15-20 from the rest of the squad and you’re on for our best scoring season.

It’s all ifs and buts at the moment, both for why we can score lots and why we can’t. Let’s see where we are in 10 games time. Hopefully we’ll be revising our targets upwards rather than down!

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've spoken to a lot of Wolves fans recently.
All the lads in the secure unit agree with me, they know I take badly to contrary views, that we will finish in the lower half of the Championship, having been relegated half way through the season.
(Between 10th and 13th).

WolvTown

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This seasons success will depend massively on injuries.
Keep key players and those coming back fit, we could quite easily finish higher than 13th.

VictorPyrrhic

Groupie
Reaction score
What evidence is there that we will continue to 'dominate' matches? because theire is a hell of a lot of evidence that over 38 matches performances regress to a mean and this applies for all teams relative to their expected outcomes.

i think fans are getting a little carried away with the 3 'performances' so far. There is no relationship between competing with Man United at home and then going on to win [easily or not] 50% of the teams that will turn up to Molineux and sit in deep.

All of a sudden the Traore threat, which has been the highlight of our play so far this season, is nullified and it is very likley that the xG will decrease.

In a nutshell, the 3 matches we have played so far are not represenatitve of over 50% of matches we will play this season and then there is of course the injuries and the rain replacing the sunshine.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What evidence is there that we will continue to 'dominate' matches? because theire is a hell of a lot of evidence that over 38 matches performances regress to a mean and this applies for all teams relative to their expected outcomes.

i think fans are getting a little carried away with the 3 'performances' so far. There is no relationship between competing with Man United at home and then going on to win [easily or not] 50% of the teams that will turn up to Molineux and sit in deep.

All of a sudden the Traore threat, which has been the highlight of our play so far this season, is nullified and it is very likley that the xG will decrease.

In a nutshell, the 3 matches we have played so far are not represenatitve of over 50% of matches we will play this season and then there is of course the injuries and the rain replacing the sunshine.

I don't think anyone is expecting to continue with such big numbers for the rest of the season. It think we've created the most open play chances in the division. Stats like that would mean we would finish top 4.

However it is a positive sign that we are going to do fine.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Unsure. I feel we might have lost a bit of that Premier League nous (like when we brushed aside Leeds twice last season while merely playing okay). Nuno for all of his foibles knew how to manage a game. The fact that we've already lost 3 isn't encouraging. Obviously we'll have a better idea after 10 games.

VictorPyrrhic

Groupie
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is expecting to continue with such big numbers for the rest of the season. It think we've created the most open play chances in the division. Stats like that would mean we would finish top 4.

However it is a positive sign that we are going to do fine.

Brighton put in a lot of positive performances last season but they weren't anywhere near 7th plus some are predicting! I think about 12th to 16th is about right but so probably about 14th?

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brighton put in a lot of positive performances last season but they weren't anywhere near 7th plus some are predicting! I think about 12th to 16th is about right but so probably about 14th?

Brighton were averaging 13 shots a game, we're currently averaging 28. Having played Spurs, Leicester, Manu.

There is no way we will keep it up.

But.. 28 shots a game would more than likely get you top 7.

For perspective. Liverpool had the most shots per game last season with 16.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
interesting and very important quote from the E&S IMO, Sums up the Mighty Wolves in reality. long may we continue to be a proper local club with pride not greed,

Quote "“Wolves is, and continues to be, a very humble club,” he said. “It’s a family-orientated club, which may appear to be punching above its weight, but we’ve got to develop that ‘big club’, elite-sport mentality within that framework to become more consistent. We can’t go all out, thinking it’s all about success and in so doing, lose what Wolves is all about, but we do need to refocus.
We want to make it an environment that has comfort and familiarity, but one which is also a real elite performance environment – when you come in here, it’s special, it’s about performance. We push each other to be the best we can – players and staff."

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

By that logic though, the chances against us would drop too against teams less likely to attack?

50% of teams wouldn’t have a player of De Gea’s quality either.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
interesting and very important quote from the E&S IMO, Sums up the Mighty Wolves in reality. long may we continue to be a proper local club with pride not greed,

Quote "“Wolves is, and continues to be, a very humble club,” he said. “It’s a family-orientated club, which may appear to be punching above its weight, but we’ve got to develop that ‘big club’, elite-sport mentality within that framework to become more consistent. We can’t go all out, thinking it’s all about success and in so doing, lose what Wolves is all about, but we do need to refocus.
We want to make it an environment that has comfort and familiarity, but one which is also a real elite performance environment – when you come in here, it’s special, it’s about performance. We push each other to be the best we can – players and staff."
A quote from who?

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A quote from who?
its in the in the E&S bud. in this aticle By Liam KeenWolvesPublished: Sept 6, 2021Last Updated: Sept 6, 2021
i don't usually take much notice of this paper but i agree with this,

P.S.its brilliant how you put a link code up and the whole thing is there, Well done to the Molineux Mix

Last edited:

VictorPyrrhic

Groupie
Reaction score
By that logic though, the chances against us would drop too against teams less likely to attack?

50% of teams wouldn’t have a player of De Gea’s quality either.
I would have thought so but perhaps the quality of the chances will remain constant. CA football is underrated imo. 57 shots isn't really a stat to hold in high regard. However, i think it's fair to say that if you replayed the 3 matches so far x10,000 each we would likley gain 2 draws and a win so i can understand some fans optimism.

I think i'll reserve judgement for another half a dozen matches. As we all know by now, our first eleven should be no where near the bottom 3 but our season has come down to how many, who to and when our injuries occur in addition to maintaining performance levels over 90 minutes.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So seeing as this thread has been resurrected and I've seen this, I'd love (actually, probably hate!) to see how we'd look on this graph now
I’d say we’ve probably regressed massively.

On the other hand, we have now scored a goal so, swings and roundabouts!

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Give him a pre season at least he started off well
So a 26 year old footballer needs a pre-season to enable him to control a ball? It’s not just his first touch either. Last night I was in shock when twice he controlled the ball with his first touch only for normal service to be resumed when the second touch sent the ball ten yards away. Even if Carlsberg did pre-seasons there’d be no hope!

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So a 26 year old footballer needs a pre-season to enable him to control a ball? It’s not just his first touch either. Last night I was in shock when twice he controlled the ball with his first touch only for normal service to be resumed when the second touch sent the ball ten yards away. Even if Carlsberg did pre-seasons there’d be no hope!
2 comments I find funny
He can trap a ball further than I can kick it
His 2nd touch is a tackle

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2 comments I find funny
I asked my mate who watched Shaun Goater a lot at City and when I asked him what his first touch was like he replied”Put it this way, his second touch is often a header”!

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d forgotten we’d only scored 36 last season after “opening up” and becoming more fragile defensively.

Kind of puts this season in to perspective a bit in that we’ll (hopefully) just about score more than that whilst conceding a chunk less despite being seen as pretty goal shy this season.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

2 comments I find funny
Could be an urban myth and never found a source but I once heard Mark McGhee comment that Mick Mccarthy could head the ball further than most people can kick it, and Mccarthy said McGhee could trap it further than most people could kick it

Back
Top Bottom