Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Why Amazon’s move into European sports is unstoppable.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching games, (and other sports), is changing and the viewer might have better choices and lower subscription costs, at least initially.
Two years ago DAZN won the tv rights for Canada over the previous big suppliers at a fraction of the cost and from my point of view its fantastic. They still have one year left on those broadcasting rights but what will happen then is anybody’s guess.

As for England, will DAZN and Amazon try to grab a big slice of the broadcasting pie and thus, reduce costs for the viewer?…….but will there be other adverse affects what with Amazon already a huge global powerhouse.

“Tech giant gobbles up sports on TV, leaving fans uneasy, legacy broadcasters furious and regulators powerless.”

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching games, (and other sports), is changing and the viewer might have better choices and lower subscription costs, at least initially.
Two years ago DAZN won the tv rights for Canada over the previous big suppliers at a fraction of the cost and from my point of view its fantastic. They still have one year left on those broadcasting rights but what will happen then is anybody’s guess.

As for England, will DAZN and Amazon try to grab a big slice of the broadcasting pie and thus, reduce costs for the viewer?…….but will there be other adverse affects what with Amazon already a huge global powerhouse.

“Tech giant gobbles up sports on TV, leaving fans uneasy, legacy broadcasters furious and regulators powerless.”

amazon have made a move into french football,but tv rights settled until 2025 in the uk

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I watch the Premier League here in Spain, with DAZN. It costs me 10.00€ a month.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
amazon have made a move into french football,but tv rights settled until 2025 in the uk
Yes but still, with Amazon showing some of the games over the last couple years, it’s a sign of things to come, I think.
Part of me hates that gigantic American companies, Amazon, Google, Facebook, Apple etc, have too much influence over our lives already. ( I’m not anti American).
One concern I have is , would be Amazon want to show adds during the game. Prior to the USA hosting the ‘94 World Cup, Henry Kissinger was trying to convince FIFA to have extra stoppages during the games for adds. It didn’t work……that time.

BTW, …..let’s keep this on football and not politics although there is some overlapping.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watch the Premier League here in Spain, with DAZN. It costs me 10.00€ a month.
DAZN cost me $13Can. a month for these. ( I think DAZN made this package too tempting to pass up as they were new here but after this next years, I expect this will be trimmed down….and costs up.). No Euro, F.A. Cup.

NFL Network
NFL RedZone
NFL Game Pass

Premier League
UEFA Champions League
Europa League
Serie A
MLS Live
Carabao Cup
EFL Championship

WTA
PDC Darts
KHL
FIBA Basketball
6 Nations Rugby
Guinness Pro14 Rugby
Major League Baseball
World Snooker
Matchroom Boxing
Golden Boy Boxing

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's incredible how little the Premier League have moved with the times with regard to TV coverage in the UK, although I guess it's mainly due to the archaic rules that are still imposed by the governing bodies (Saturday 3pm kick offs etc)

Wonderful that we're still governed by theories that date from the 1960s

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's incredible how little the Premier League have moved with the times with regard to TV coverage in the UK, although I guess it's mainly due to the archaic rules that are still imposed by the governing bodies (Saturday 3pm kick offs etc)

Wonderful that we're still governed by theories that date from the 1960s
don`t think wolves had many 3pm kick offs

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t the Premier league just rollover the last lot of rights so there wasn’t any actual bidding.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazon Prime is a no brainer,for anyone that does online shopping plus decent films, series and now football for £1.50 a week,you get that back with the free postage
The coverage has been good quality, even the comms are better than average
No im not an agent for them,but i like value for money and at the moment they give it without a doubt

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s going to be interesting in the years to come.
PL is locked in for another 3 year cycle now, but the next time tender appears, I can see there being seismic changes.

There’s no motivation for the PL to want to change the status quo, they get huge amounts of money for minimal effort. Sky and BT are so completely dependant on football to sell their premium subscriptions that they have to keep on paying, otherwise sky sports becomes worthless and no one apart from the much smaller cricket and F1 audiences will subscribe. There’s enough ‘competition’ to keep them honest to an extent, try and lowball too much then amazon are waiting to pounce and devalue sky sports.

I could see 3-4 years being long enough for the PL to consider going over-the-top with their own subscription, possibly in partnership with Amazon for the digital infrastructure.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All the current rights do is encourage uptake of IPTV

What fool would pay ten times the amount every year for far less coverage?

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

Don’t care what Amazon do. I will still rather buy a ticket and go and watch the game on the stadium

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
DAZN cost me $13Can. a month for these. ( I think DAZN made this package too tempting to pass up as they were new here but after this next years, I expect this will be trimmed down….and costs up.). No Euro, F.A. Cup.

Premier League
UEFA Champions League
Europa League
Serie A
MLS Live
Carabao Cup

In Australia, without NFL the same coverage rights plus these Euro championships have been with a mobile phone company for about 4 years....there was a lot of criticism when they won the contract because it took football away from satellite audiences with dishes and boxes already setup (otherwise known as Rupert Murdoch's monopoly).
They basically relay BT Sport, Amazon or whichever UK company is broadcasting...we get every single game live but they're obviously overnight here so not worth as much as prime time UK or lunchtime Americas.

This season the total cost was AU $99 (so about £50), or free with their mobile phone contract.
The coverage and distribution quality is superb via HD IPTV or internet app..so any device.
Murdoch's company has lost everything worth watching and subscribers have left in droves, so what future for a company with sports broadcasting as it's core product?
It's an interesting model when a phone company with higher value and about 10 million subscribers can use sports broadcasting as a loss leader to drive more business into the phone side, and Amazon can do obviously do that on a much bigger scale in some world markets. They haven't broken Australia so their power here is not as great as in the UK, USA or Canada.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom