Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

When football started in 1992.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It did start then didn't it? Well anyway, there used to be in the Premier League, a top six or seven teams fighting for the top places. There were then a group of sides making up the mid table and three or four teams fighting to avoid relegation.

As I see it now, we still have six or seven teams fighting it out for the top slots, although some of the teams have changed, but the mid table has now become a fight to avoid relegation.

This season no teams were cut a drift with say six games to play and it went right down to the wire. Crystal palace half way up the table had 45 points , only eleven more than relegated Leicester. I thought that 34 points may have been enough this year rather than the norm which appears to be 40 points. However, Everton sneaked in with 36.

It will be tough next season for the promoted teams Burnley, Sheffield United and Luton, while last years promoted sides might find it a bit harder to compete, as Leeds found out.

We need to get off to a good start, but that will depend on who the opening few weeks opponents are, and summer arrivals.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great thread title. It does make me angry when commentators forget all the stuff that happened before 1992.

Agreed. It seems that a lot of people tend to disregard football pre 1982. Apart from some great club sides, England won their only World Cup before 1992. Does that still count?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Top 2, next 5, 8th-15th, bottom 5.

The top performing clubs in 8th-15th might sneak into 6th or 7th place depending on others having bad seasons (Spurs and Chelsea this year, replaced by Brighton and Villa).

As a club expected to finish in that 8th-15th bracket, it’s much easier to slip into the bottom 5 clubs than challenge for the top 7.

Unless we do something different to the last few seasons, or our big money players start to perform consistently, we will be treading water until the one bad season where we won’t be as lucky as we were this season.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact is there are 6, maybe 7 clubs with Newcastle now that if they have a bad season it means they’ve missed out on the champions league.

For the other 13/14 a bad season means relegation a good season means stealing 6th or 7th.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
So it's worked just how 4 of the original big 5 wanted, plus Chelsea, Man City and now Newcastle have bought their way in.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
league should be reduced to 18. Far too many weak sides for my liking.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Top 2, next 5, 8th-15th, bottom 5.

The top performing clubs in 8th-15th might sneak into 6th or 7th place depending on others having bad seasons (Spurs and Chelsea this year, replaced by Brighton and Villa).

As a club expected to finish in that 8th-15th bracket, it’s much easier to slip into the bottom 5 clubs than challenge for the top 7.

Unless we do something different to the last few seasons, or our big money players start to perform consistently, we will be treading water until the one bad season where we won’t be as lucky as we were this season.
the way the end of season has shaped up that might be sooner than you think

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
Great thread title. It does make me angry when commentators forget all the stuff that happened before 1992.
Bothers me less now that it's a 30 year period.

It's fair to consider that an era of football. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

Unless you're Villa, when you claim to be a big club because of league titles won when Victoria was queen.

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leicester and Leeds took 12 points off us. Replicate last seasons results and win those 4 games would have seen on 53 points above Fulham.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Few mates of mine went to a meeting in 1991 skysports did a focus group of how they basically they wanted to make football so everyone can watch it from home and how it’s going to help every club evenly… of course the clubs loved the financial ideas the free beers we was given helped the crowd go along with the idea nothing like a free beer!! We all at the time thought yeah right that’s never going to happen. But you pretty much can watch any game now at the top level legally and illegally

Back
Top Bottom