Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Whatever happened to the bloke who said ' come on me babbies ' ?

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone know? Does he still go to the games etc.

I've always found it brilliant how much the phrase caught on and how little sense it means to virtually everyone else.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score

I've always found it brilliant how much the phrase caught on and how little sense it means to virtually everyone else.
Somebody on here knows him and mentioned him a few weeks ago

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe he had a couple of kids?

RedFlagWolf

Reaction score

I honestly didn’t think there was ‘a bloke that shouts C’mon me babbies’ I thought it was something that many of us shouted!

I personally have been doing it for a couple of decades (since they became my babbies as opposed to my peers and before that the adults I wanted to be when I grow up).

I carried on the good work of my dad who had proudly been asking his babbies to C’mon for decades before!

Are we suggesting that this phrase is the exception rather than the rule as I thought many of us Wolves fans said it?

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn’t it the bloke who leant into the old changing rooms and had steve bull round the neck ? Also said ‘ you’re the best thing since John Richards ‘ -around 1988 ish after we got promoted from the old div 4?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lots of guys shouted it from the North Bank back in the late 60s and onwards.

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
FF to 3'38" to see the chap lean in thru window, grab Bully round neck and say the immortal words...

...but the full 6mins a nice trip down the Molineux Way

Last edited:

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Actually I was the first person to start shouting it at the Chorley game and it kicked on from there.

It's quite funny really as at a previous event I went to someone asked who's Brian and I said "I'm Brian" and that led to all sorts of trouble......

Anyway have I told you bout the time I started humming a tune called the liquidator ?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The word 'babby' used to be used a lot more than it is now, though. When I was at school, 60-odd years ago, the infants class was known as 'the babbies' class'. You still hear the shortened form 'bab' being used, a bit like 'luv', when talking to people -- 'Thanks, bab'

R

reanswolf

I honestly didn’t think there was ‘a bloke that shouts C’mon me babbies’ I thought it was something that many of us shouted!

I personally have been doing it for a couple of decades (since they became my babbies as opposed to my peers and before that the adults I wanted to be when I grow up).

I carried on the good work of my dad who had proudly been asking his babbies to C’mon for decades before!

Are we suggesting that this phrase is the exception rather than the rule as I thought many of us Wolves fans said it?
Bang on mate, I shout it sometime, its just a Wolverhampton/Black Country thing ay it?

I love local sayings like this and wish we would sing it instead of "Come On you Wolves".

In a similar vein as "Wolves Ay We".

H

howlin wolf

Actually I was the first person to start shouting it at the Chorley game and it kicked on from there.

It's quite funny really as at a previous event I went to someone asked who's Brian and I said "I'm Brian" and that led to all sorts of trouble......

Anyway have I told you bout the time I started humming a tune called the liquidator ?

I am Spartacus

RedFlagWolf

Reaction score
Bang on mate, I shout it sometime, its just a Wolverhampton/Black Country thing ay it?

I love local sayings like this and wish we would sing it instead of "Come On you Wolves".

In a similar vein as "Wolves Ay We".
And all said whilst proudly wearing my ‘Bostin’ T-Shirt!

Black Country items are my present of choice for birthdays and Christmas to my southern friends and work colleagues.
The London office is full of ‘Bostin’, ‘Mek Tay not War’ The Black Country Alphabet mugs and related stuff!

Jez

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I went to Wembley with him and 10 others to watch the Wolves v Burnley game

Absolute carnage that day.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The bloke in the dressing room window did only use a term that's been used for generations. In line with the watered down dialects all over the country now many words/phrases are not as common. He just highlighted it in a moment of euphoria.

As a kid 'Doe be a babby' 'Yome saft uz well uz a babby' were endearing forms of kids insults.

'Cumon me babbies' was a term my uncle used regularly when 'wotchin the oss heed backed' either at Dunstall Park or Grandstand on Saturday's. This was usually followed by much tutting and muttering when they 'day cumclose' to winning.

'Cumon me babbies' was used by grandfather (born 1894 Wolverhampton) to us when we were kids and he was taking us somewhere such as the East Park to have a kick about.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No I'm spartacus

(just look what you've started now)

I'm sure the phrase of variations of it have been around for years in the country. I think its mainly since the bloke putting his head through the dressing room window and shouting it that its become a regular part of Wolves fans repertoire. That my earliest memory of it at any rate

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm Brian and so's my wife

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My memory isn´t as good as it once was.
Wasn´t his name Steve?
I´ve read it..probably on this forum...but years and then some ago.

Tefal

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My memory isn´t as good as it once was.
Wasn´t his name Steve?
I´ve read it..probably on this forum...but years and then some ago.
There's an echo in here!
Quite right sir.
His name's Nobby and he sits in the North Bank in front of me.

Tefal

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still looks exactly the same, without the dodgy tash.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's an echo in here!

Quite right sir.
His name's Nobby and he sits in the North Bank in front of me.

Nobby hey?
That´s a proper english name.
Thanks for the heads up.

D

Deleted member 4152

I don’t think there is any suggestion the guy invented the phrase it is just that he was caught on camera saying it after we drew 2-2 with Sheffield United after we clinched promotion from Division 3
What a night that was. What a season. What a time

Cowans mentions that night in his BBC 'book'. reckons he gave us a good hiding by the John Ireland.

He was defo at a different game.

He should rename that book 'never been run, never been done'

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Me...He's still very much active in the North bank I believe.His name is Alan.AkA Nobby.Lives in the next village to me.He ay changed much.

top fox wolf

Reaction score
HI GUYS About

GIVING Players nick names I was the guy that shouted to my tuesday night Thursday night MATE AND I QUOTE GO ON ZICO TO A MR JEFF PALMER FROM BEHIND THE OLD NORTH BANK AND IT STUCK. I DID REMIND HIM OF IT A FEW YEARS BACK HE LOVED IT BOTH PLAYERS COULDN'T BE MORE DIFFERENT FROM ONE AN OTHER I SUPPOSE A CLEAVER MOL MIX MIXER WILL TELL ME THE IRONY THINK I KNOW. KEEP SAFE WOLVES AY WE.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My last shout before kick off is in tribute to my Late Dad, “ get some blood on your boots “ !

Vicious Sid

Reaction score
when one of my mates was courting his now wife it was all "allright bab" and " love ya bab" .
when they're mid 50s and both pushing 18 stone it's embarassing to be around, put me right off the phrase.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
when one of my mates was courting his now wife it was all "allright bab" and " love ya bab" .
when they're mid 50s and both pushing 18 stone it's embarassing to be around, put me right off the phrase.
Not an alluring image...

N

northbank1967

his name is alan and he drinks in the hatherton before games

Back
Top Bottom