Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What are we doing?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have sacked our best manager in 40 years who is now about to take the Everton job.

We are selling the Portugal number 1 keeper.

We are getting rid of Joao Moutinho and our wonderkid Ruben Neves by all accounts.

I'm not being funny, but this seems mental?
Total reset but from a higher base.

And it could all easily go tits up

D

Deleted member 4456

The powers that be have a cunning Baldrick plan to get us into the Europa Conference League. We'll finish seventh again and take our place amongst giants of world football such as Vardar Skopje and Žalgiris Vilnius.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have sacked our best manager in 40 years who is now about to take the Everton job.

We are getting rid of Joao Moutinho and our wonderkid Ruben Neves by all accounts.

Do you really think that the last season would have rated Nuno as the best we hav e had for forty years. Or was this a man who had three good years and now things had gone wrong.
Patricio may be still a good keeper for Portugal but certainly was not playing at his best for us. Again you must look at a manager when so many of the team were playing below par.
Most would say that Mouts is way past his best unless again he was another just playing below par. However we dont know it the club are letting him go. And until we see Neves go we dont know if he will. Unless you want to believe rumours.
No I think it would be mental for the club to see things going wrong and not do what they have to in order to correct it.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don´t count your chickens before all your eggs has hatched.
At least,that is the way we are doing it in Sweden..and I do suggest you lot do the same in the Wolverhampton area.

Not one thing you have said in your initial post makes me high my eyebrows.Steady in the ship and move forward hey?

I do think you will be more upset than this during the window...still,we will march on together.

Champions League under Fosun and Lage is close,I guaratuee that..if not under Lage then the very next manager/head coach.

I also have a great deal of diapers..since I have been needing those myselfs last couple of windows under Nuno.

In need?

Just gimme a call.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Amazing. I've been regularly reading threads for the last 2 years on here saying we should get rid of those very 3 players.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don‘t believe rumours. Just wait and see.

Its not like we have a vote or a voice in the Wolves boardroom, anyway.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Interesting take from Jonny Phillips. Seems like we felt Nuno had too much control.
To be fair to him, I agreed.

That's why I felt he would never be sacked as he was so enmeshed in the fabric of the club.

I feel we are lacking the DoF if that's our stance.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

None of the above seems like a bad decision.

Nuno had 4 years. A very good run by today's standards. Ended with a bit of a whimper, although by no means disgraced.

Rui might have been Portugal number 1, but he can be replaced, as Portugal itself is looking to do. From the start, 3 years ago, he showed some aspects of his game that are not optimal for the premier league and English football in general. He's a great shot stopper, and his reflexes are at times feline. But his distribution is below average and his command of the box is almost non existent.
I loved the handsome guy, but he's not the big loss some might think he is.

Joao Moutinho joined the club 3 years ago for a nominal fee of 5 million and a heck of a salary. We probably thought we would get 1 or 2 good seasons out of him. We did. Then we got one less good season. No biggie, he's still good but he's not the Moutinho of 3 years ago, and shouldn't be. In a small squad, and at his age all we did was run him into the ground. He should move, for his health at least.

Ruben Neves isn't a wonderkid any more. He's a father with 3 kids. But, he's still an asset. And assets can, and some say should, be monetized and used for the club's ends.

Not mental at all. Perhaps not what fans might wish, but still what to me makes sense.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remain far more excited and energised for the new season than I was a few weeks back

As gutted as I was to lose Nuno it was definitely time for a shakeup. Including the squad.

Good thing about Nuno going to Everton is we'll now have a real world experiment in which club made the best decision!

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do I keep thinking of Alan Curbishley and Charlton and how that ended up.
It's entirely plausible.

I woke up from a dream in which we had reached the play off final under Lage last night. I was somewhat pleased, but a bit non plussed because I didn't remember us going down. I fear this could quite easily happen

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do I keep thinking of Alan Curbishley and Charlton and how that ended up.
In that scenario, you have to ask yourself if Bruno Lage is better or worse than Iain Dowie. I'm expecting Lage to be better.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
None of the above seems like a bad decision.

Nuno had 4 years. A very good run by today's standards. Ended with a bit of a whimper, although by no means disgraced.

Rui might have been Portugal number 1, but he can be replaced, as Portugal itself is looking to do. From the start, 3 years ago, he showed some aspects of his game that are not optimal for the premier league and English football in general. He's a great shot stopper, and his reflexes are at times feline. But his distribution is below average and his command of the box is almost non existent.
I loved the handsome guy, but he's not the big loss some might think he is.

Joao Moutinho joined the club 3 years ago for a nominal fee of 5 million and a heck of a salary. We probably thought we would get 1 or 2 good seasons out of him. We did. Then we got one less good season. No biggie, he's still good but he's not the Moutinho of 3 years ago, and shouldn't be. In a small squad, and at his age all we did was run him into the ground. He should move, for his health at least.

Ruben Neves isn't a wonderkid any more. He's a father with 3 kids. But, he's still an asset. And assets can, and some say should, be monetized and used for the club's ends.

Not mental at all. Perhaps not what fans might wish, but still what to me makes sense.
Well said

T

TheConcourse

I can’t look at any of the decisions mentioned and say they’re a disaster either. Neves aside perhaps. But he’s not hit the heights that we expected consistently at this level.

Relegation form for large parts of last season. Relegation performances for pretty much all of it.

It’s time to shake things up and to move on.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well Bill I think it's a really bold move by Jeff that's for sure.

But reading what Jonny Philips has said and what has come out from Palace I think it's plausible that Nuno may well be getting a bit too demanding or even difficult to deal with for Jeff and Fosun.

You probably find all really great men and women can be swines, I know 25 years ago I worked for a real genius bloke that transformed the organisation I worked for but he was a swine to work for. He said to me that reasonable men never changed the world - but organisations can only stand that chaos and crazy behaviour for a limited time.

I am not saying Nuno was a nutter, but I bet Jeff was finding it harder to deal with him and the relationship must have broken down to some extent.

The one thing I was really surprised to hear was Nuno never attended a under 23's game. I don't know why, but that did shock me.

I have said on other threads that I am concerned about this coming season. Lots of change, some needed, other change less welcome like losing Neves or Adama.

I just hope Lage understands just how dam competitive the Premier league is. Even the worst bottom half teams are competitive - I doubt he thought that in his title win in Portugal. OK he has some English experience which helps, but if we are going to have a team of 5'5" midgets then we are in for a long hard season, we need some pace and put a bit of bite back into the squad.

I do admire Jeff for being bold, he could have quite easily just let it ride and lose more control. As last season just proved Nuno does not get it right every time.

Last edited:

Lycaon

Reaction score
I think the club know what they’re doing so I wouldn’t fret about it old bean!

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We have heard the message evolution not revolution a few times thae last few days, the latest in the jonny phillips article. Inwould be surprised now if we see the wholsesale changes we thought would occur a week back. It wouldnt surprise me if the likes of donk, saiss, coady and traore remained, with us losing the 3 portuguese in neves mouts and rui. Whether the sale of those 3 plus some of the reserves enable us to bring in a new midfield, central defender, goalkeeper and forward is to be seen over the coming weeks. Doing man maths of 3m for saiss, 15m for donk, 35m for traore, 20m for coady etc i dont feel is now going to be applicable

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As excited as I am for Lage to come in, I still think letting Nuno go was a poor decision. Considering all the things our of his control this year that went wrong, he should have been given another season to compete in "normal" times. Fosun could have either acted in haste, or pulled off a genius move. Only time will tell!

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Things have gone very stale at Wolves. Fosun have a bold plan to shake things up. Nuno, Moutinho, Neves and Patricio have all been great for Wolves but Nuno, Moutinho and Neves have all been all on a downward trajectory this last 18 months.

Neves can probably up his game with a fresh start at another club much like Jota did but If we do keep hold of him then we have to hope that Lage can reignite his hunger and unleash his potential. Moutinho can still do a job for us but if he does go that frees up a large slice of wages that can be used to bring in new talent. Same applies to Rui. It was great to see a keeper of his quality between the sticks at Molineux but for me Matty Murray is still the best keeper Wolves have had in the last 50 years.

Im definitely thankful for what Nuno did for Wolves. Was it just a magical coming together of a special group of players and manager at the right time though? I wish Nuno all the best, apart from against Wolves of course and it would be great to see both Lage and Nuno secure Champions League football next season.

The exciting thing about Lage is that he plays attacking football with no let up and he doesnt ease up on a 1 goal lead. Now that could be a disaster in the Premier League but it could also be a spectacular success. I think Wolves will be exciting to watch again next season rather than dull and boring. Providing we dont go down then that sounds good to me so I'm glass half full on the summer changes expected at Molineux.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

This exactly what I’ve been saying, but people on here don’t want to hear it.

it’s literally blind optimism at this point and that is absolutely 100% the wrong way to approach a season in the prem.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

As excited as I am for Lage to come in, I still think letting Nuno go was a poor decision. Considering all the things our of his control this year that went wrong, he should have been given another season to compete in "normal" times. Fosun could have either acted in haste, or pulled off a genius move. Only time will tell!
Act in haste… repent at leisure

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe Patricio wants to leave? A few years playing and living in Rome would be nice.

Maybe Neves wants a new challenge?

Do we really expect or want Moutinho to play regularly next season? We can't have a bit-part player on £100k a week.

And maybe a new manager can get us back to thinking a first-half goal should be expected and not treated as a novelty.

Stourwolf

Reaction score

We are getting rid of all our star players (if rumours are true) and replacing with cheap downgrades .....absolutely bonkers !!! Why has it gone so wrong ?

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Nuno goes to Everton it almost puts more pressure on Lage and Jeff. We’ve finished above Everton 2 out of 3 seasons and whilst we lost twice to them this season they were tight games (in comparison to others). If Everton push for Champions League and buy players like Coady, Boly, Traore and/or gazump us on Vitinha, RAN that’s not a good look for Jeff. Obviously Nuno could be a disaster there, they have a lot of ego players who are the type that Nuno isn’t keen on. If Nuno had gone abroad this issue wouldn’t arise.

my worrying that the desire to refresh the squad will lead us turning a potential Europa League squad into a mid table Championship squad. When that happens and we sack Lage even Eddie Howe and Steve Bruce won’t touch us

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it’s literally blind optimism at this point and that is absolutely 100% the wrong way to approach a season in the prem.
That's football fans though. Just about every supporter of nearly every club will expect next season to be better than this.
We seem to be going for an approach you see a lot on the continent of appointing a new coach and a fairly big churn of players. Maybe it won't work but sticking with Nuno wasn't looking promising.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are getting rid of all our star players (if rumours are true) and replacing with cheap downgrades .....absolutely bonkers !!! Why has it gone so wrong ?
I'd rather we bring in a £10m gem than sign a £30m+ bang average player. Think of Neto v Semedo. I'd remind you that when we first bought Jiminez in on loan he was only a bit part player at Benfica and he took a while to find his feet at Wolves. Jonny was not massively proven when he came in. Jota was not an established player. Cavaleiro, Costa and Boly all proved to be quality and relatively cheap signings.

We havent kicked a ball yet under Lage and you are writing us off already? Did you not witness some of the dross last season?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

Interesting take from Jonny Phillips. Seems like we felt Nuno had too much control.

Some pretty strange stuff. Not long ago we had the youngsters coming through (even though it may have just been necessity). Now it's his failure to bring through youth. Then Nuno had built an identity, now that's turned into "too much control". It was negative football and we needed an attacking alternative, now it's continuity and a style that will have to fit the PL.

Hoping Lage is a success, but I can do without these rewrites. Can't get on with it soon enough for me so we can make a judgement on facts not spin.

Back
Top Bottom