Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What actually is our contractual link with Mendes?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry to start yet another transfer thread but but all our discussions about transfers, either written on here or implied, seem to centre around the Club's links to Mendes. Does anyone know for sure exactly what we are committed to with this guy? Do we have to buy all our players through him? Do they always have to be Portuguese? Can we buy players from uk or foreign clubs that have no association with him? From what I read on here he seems to be central to anything we do in the transfer market and I'd certainly question some/many of the players we've bought in (some then loaned out?) and I wonder how much money he's made from 'advising' us?

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
tumblr_nkc97tHHf61tv4k5po1_500.gif

First Fosun are losing interest, then Nuno needs to go and now it's Mendes' turn.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry to start yet another transfer thread but but all our discussions about transfers, either written on here or implied, seem to centre around the Club's links to Mendes. Does anyone know for sure exactly what we are committed to with this guy? Do we have to buy all our players through him? Do they always have to be Portuguese? Can we buy players from uk or foreign clubs that have no association with him? From what I read on here he seems to be central to anything we do in the transfer market and I'd certainly question some/many of the players we've bought in (some then loaned out?) and I wonder how much money he's made from 'advising' us?
To cut a long story short zero otherwise, given the rules about agent involvement, we would have been penalised when the EFL investigated....

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You sound like an investigating journo, are you undercover for Villa talk?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always thought our ‘relationship’ with him was overstated and misunderstood by some. At the end of the day Shi and co. make final decisions on transfers.
Having said that, it’s fantastic that Guo and he accept each other’s calls.;)

jeb01

Reaction score
I believe Fosun hold a percentage share of Mendes agency business, Gestifute (?), so that is the business link. Of course, Fosun hold similar business interests in many other companies of all descriptions.
Mendes has no contract or direct business link with Wolves FC, despite what Villa and Leeds might have thought.
However, given the fact that Fosun own shares in his company, clearly Mendes has them and Wolves in mind when it comes to negotiating deals for the players for whom he is an agent.
I imagine he is extremely wealthy, but as a club we haven’t done too badly out of his link with our owners.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe Fosun hold a percentage share of Mendes agency business, Gestifute (?), so that is the business link. Of course, Fosun hold similar business interests in many other companies of all descriptions.
Mendes has no contract or direct business link with Wolves FC, despite what Villa and Leeds might have thought.
However, given the fact that Fosun own shares in his company, clearly Mendes has them and Wolves in mind when it comes to negotiating deals for the players for whom he is an agent.
I imagine he is extremely wealthy, but as a club we haven’t done too badly out of his link with our owners.
Nope, that would be against football rules. It has been reported that another of Fosun founder and majority shareholder Guo's companies happens to own shares in Gestifute. Reportedly that company, apart from Guo coincidentally being the owner (unsure if wholly or the majority), is legally nothing to do with Fosun.....

Edited to add: For completeness there are indeed articles claiming direct Fosun ownership of all or part of Gestifute's parent company.

Last edited:

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ive an brother who works as an agent. Its very much a "I scratch your back, then I scratch your back world.
Agents are competitors but they also depend on each other. So for instance one agent might call other agents to help facilitate a move for his client. They might help, but only because they know they'll get the favour returned.
So my guess is that Mendes role is partly advisory, letting the club know which players are potentially available and would fit the strategy, but also he helps set up the meetings with rhe right people.

People who think we rely too much on Mendes needs to understand that clubs always depends on agents. We just decided to rely mostly on the most well connected in the business.

Focke Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I've got to be honest, i've been thinking exactly the same as well. In a nutshell, why have we got so many Portuguese players in the team / squad? I'm pretty new to football support and so don't really know the ins and outs of transfer dealings etc. I'm in no way a bigot.

I basically think with the whole wide world to choose from why are we recruiting lots of Portuguese players? Some of them are obviously class footballers, but some aren't and are works in progress. I wonder how many U18 or U23 footballers actually progress to be full on premier league players and i also wonder how many of the current Portuguese players we have in the club are through the same agent. Look, if all the players were Neto's, Neves's or Podence's i wouldn't be asking this question, but they're not.

If a player sells for more money, will that automatically translate to a bigger fee for an agent?

Within the club itself who determines transfer policy? Is it solely Nuno or is it a mixture of different people who have different influences, such as agents, board members etc ?

Having seen recent 'ish' dealings concerning agents which haven't particularly portrayed them in a good light, (Pogba, Cardiff,) it would seem that they're hardly pure as the driven snow and i would think they know the law inside out. But if its all about money then i'm afraid that the law may be complied with, but the spirit of the law may not.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

We bought a player from Rochdale. I don’t know for certain but I’m guessing that they don’t have an association with Mendes

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mendes has been brilliant for Wolves. Do you remember when we all got excited to be linked to anyone? Not so long ago. We rarely said, they're not good enough. Now we complain at our owners, who've taken us to places beyond our dreams 5 years ago. We moan at the connection they've made with one of the top agents in world football. Who's brought in some awesome players. Who we're also complaining about. With a manager who's given us the best football we've seen since the 70s. With the character and decency worthy of absolute respect.
But yeah, let's put it all down to them wanting to rip us off and make money out of us supporters.
****ing hell. I wouldn't blame them if they said sod this for a laugh.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mendes has been brilliant for Wolves. Do you remember when we all got excited to be linked to anyone? Not so long ago. We rarely said, they're not good enough. Now we complain at our owners, who've taken us to places beyond our dreams 5 years ago. We moan at the connection they've made with one of the top agents in world football. Who's brought in some awesome players. Who we're also complaining about. With a manager who's given us the best football we've seen since the 70s. With the character and decency worthy of absolute respect.
But yeah, let's put it all down to them wanting to rip us off and make money out of us supporters.
Well said that man

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank you for at least answering some of my questions. Appreciated.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've got to be honest, i've been thinking exactly the same as well. In a nutshell, why have we got so many Portuguese players in the team / squad? I'm pretty new to football support and so don't really know the ins and outs of transfer dealings etc. I'm in no way a bigot.

I basically think with the whole wide world to choose from why are we recruiting lots of Portuguese players? Some of them are obviously class footballers, but some aren't and are works in progress. I wonder how many U18 or U23 footballers actually progress to be full on premier league players and i also wonder how many of the current Portuguese players we have in the club are through the same agent. Look, if all the players were Neto's, Neves's or Podence's i wouldn't be asking this question, but they're not.

If a player sells for more money, will that automatically translate to a bigger fee for an agent?

Within the club itself who determines transfer policy? Is it solely Nuno or is it a mixture of different people who have different influences, such as agents, board members etc ?

Having seen recent 'ish' dealings concerning agents which haven't particularly portrayed them in a good light, (Pogba, Cardiff,) it would seem that they're hardly pure as the driven snow and i would think they know the law inside out. But if its all about money then i'm afraid that the law may be complied with, but the spirit of the law may not.
Thank you also for taking my OP seriously. Appreciated.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Having seen recent 'ish' dealings concerning agents which haven't particularly portrayed them in a good light, (Pogba, Cardiff,) it would seem that they're hardly pure as the driven snow and i would think they know the law inside out. But if its all about money then i'm afraid thawt the law may be complied with, but the spirit of the law may not.

We won't be the first or last club, whether in football or other sports, to comply with the letter and not the spirit of the rules. When fine margins make a significant difference that is inevitable.

I think that the reason that we initially utilised the Portuguese market, even prior to Nuno, was in part the Mendes link and in part that Portuguese players were relatively cheap and low paid when compared to similar players in other countries. While fees have gone up the contacts that we have still give us an edge in that market.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand it’s business but I have often wondered why Fosun would buy 20% of Gestifute because the optics look bad. There is a conflict of interest at times.
So what was the rational to invest with Mendes? Hard not to be a tad cynical.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Tbf every club has relationships with agents, we just happen to have one with the best.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand it’s business but I have often wondered why Fosun would buy 20% of Gestifute because the optics look bad. There is a conflict of interest at times.
So what was the rational to invest with Mendes? Hard not to be a tad cynical.
There was an article a few years ago (reuters) , where fosun teamed up with Mendes after discovering the amount of cash that can be made, trading players.

They then found out 3rd party ownership was outlawed and looked for a club to invest in, the rest is history.

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Probably because our Manager and all his backroom staff are from Portugal. It's not a lot different from when Wenger was in his early days at Arsenal. How many French players did he have in the team?

Focke Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Thanks for your views. He has brought in some excellent players which obviously we've benefitted from. I'm sure we've paid the going rate for these players. He has also helped us win the championship and took us into Europe and to two 7th place finishes - there is absolutely no doubt he has helped Wolves FC massively. Nuno has been great for us as well although in my opinion he hasn't looked to great lately. That's it then, see you in the next life.

Last edited:

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do we have to buy all our players through him? Do they always have to be Portuguese?

Is this thread a joke that's gone over my head?

Anyone who's paid even a passing bit of attention to Wolves would know that we've made plenty of transfers over the last few years with no link at all to Mendes.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Tbf every club has relationships with agents, we just happen to have one with the best.
I sometimes get the feeling when Mendes comes up on here there seems to be an undercurrent (I can't put it better than that) about his dealings with us, as if we have little alternative but to go along with him. This may be totally false in reality; I hope it is.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I sometimes get the feeling when Mendes comes up on here there seems to be an undercurrent (I can't put it better than that) about his dealings with us, as if we have little alternative but to go along with him. This may be totally false in reality; I hope it is.
I would actually agree with that. He should be used if and only if it is to our benefit.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, I've also expressed concern about this. It's no coincidence that we get to have the likes of Neves, Jota etc for next to nothing in terms of transfer fees. This is the Mendes carousel. In return, we let our players go for well below their market value e.g. Doc and then pay way over the odds for players e.g. Silva...it's all very dodgy.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is this thread a joke that's gone over my head?

Anyone who's paid even a passing bit of attention to Wolves would know that we've made plenty of transfers over the last few years with no link at all to Mendes.
I have a ST at Wolves but I couldn't tell you for sure which players are via Mendes tbh. Who are some of the players who have no links to Mendes?

Back
Top Bottom