Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What actually is our contractual link with Mendes?

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regarding football agents in general they are stereotyped as being greedy under handed crooks and many are . Jorge Mendes has become a wealthy man with his transfer dealings with big clubs around the world and has the same sigma but where would wolves be without him today ? For me I see Jorge Mendes as an asset wolves can tap into when they see fit.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regarding football agents in general they are stereotyped as being greedy under handed crooks and many are . Jorge Mendes has become a wealthy man with his transfer dealings with big clubs around the world and has the same sigma but where would wolves be without him today ? For me I see Jorge Mendes as an asset wolves can tap into when they see fit.

Of course agents wants to make money and some of them only look out for their own pockets. However the really succesful ones knows there needs to be a good balance between own needs, the needs of the client and the needs of the clubs. In other words, a a good match between club and client, means a happy client, and potentially a good career development, which in the end means more money for client and agent.
If you look at some of the players, Mendes has helped link Wolves up with, it has certainly benefitted Wolves and his clients. Neto was a fringe player at Lazio. Jota was a squad player at Atletico, Patricio needed a chance abroad, after serving his time at Sporting,etc.

Obviously not every move works out, and the less talented the player is, or the more times it doesnt work out at clubs, the the harder it is for an agent to find a good match.

I am not saying he's faultless by the way, but as stated previously, every football club at the very top level has to deal with agents, in order to operate in the current Football world, so linking up with the very best is a very good move.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We won't be the first or last club, whether in football or other sports, to comply with the letter and not the spirit of the rules. When fine margins make a significant difference that is inevitable.

I think that the reason that we initially utilised the Portuguese market, even prior to Nuno, was in part the Mendes link and in part that Portuguese players were relatively cheap and low paid when compared to similar players in other countries. While fees have gone up the contacts that we have still give us an edge in that market.

The last part is a big one.
Yanited spent £50m on Fernandes, the best AM in Portugal. Transformed them.
Previously, they spent £90m for a Frenchman playing in Italy, for half the player.

It’s a buyers market for the premier league. Most of Europe is, our TV deal and subsequent wages on offer make it an easy sell. The Portuguese league are even more comparatively skint than the bigger European leagues though.
Throw in a Portuguese manager, back room staff and super agent, it’s hardly surprising.
We bought Neves for £15m, Jota for £12m ish.
If they were English and playing like they did in the chump season you could have doubled those prices.

Back
Top Bottom