Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What’s Nuno doing these days??

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would have him back in a heartbeat !!
Was excoriated for a season when he was deprived of fans, and then the services of Jiminez, Jota, Doherty and for a large part Neto. Effectively we lost about 40 goals! We still finished 12th.

Loves Wolverhampton, loves and connects with the fans, and has a charisma that can be seen from Space!!! Took us to heights we hadn’t visited since the great team!!

What were we thinking of ?????

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno has been and gone let's look forward not backwards and remember the good work he did here.

We need a big summer a real style change that could be the system or personnel.....or most likely both the last person you would want to do that with (with the greastest respect) is Nuno who is a more negative coach and these are mostly his players!

Like I said we need a bit of a reset so going back to Nuno would make zero sense but if Lage is the right guy now that is a completely different question!

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Was excoriated for a season when he was deprived of fans, and then the services of Jiminez, Jota, Doherty and for a large part Neto. Effectively we lost about 40 goals! We still finished 12th.

Loves Wolverhampton, loves and connects with the fans, and has a charisma that can be seen from Space!!! Took us to heights we hadn’t visited since the great team!!

Jimenez

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The only thing I would blame Nuno for was the p*ssing about with 4 at the back when we had no Summer break to change approach, had a season that was a month longer than everyone else's, had no fans which was a key part of his messaging to the team, sold two of our star players and lost a plethora of others to injury.

If he had just stuck with the tried and tested formation, I am convinced even with all those issues we would have been significantly better. We lost a third of a season to 4 at the back and that cost him his job.

Also, his tepid 4 at the back cost him the Tottenham job when his replacement has played three at the back for his whole, very successful, career and done the same at Spurs, very successfully.

I would have Nuno back but only if he was told he is never allowed to play with a back 4 again ever.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When you see what Conte has done at Spurs, Tuchel at Chelsea and I bet Den Haag at Utd we need to be looking at this level of manager if we genuinely want to be top 4. If we're happy mid-table then fair enough stick with Lage but in the Prem a solid reputation counts for a lot. No going back for Nuno but he is streets ahead of Lage imo and my worry is that we've just accepted being a Prem also ran. Sad.

CologneWolf

Reaction score

Hmm? Neto was injured in April. He missed the last 7 games...

Was the right call to get rid. My position was if he was still here to begin this season and we had a poor start he’d be gone anyway and with a new manager with no preseason we’d be scraping just to survive. Ironically, despite the our standing in the league table, the poor end to the season makes it feel as though we are in exactly the same spot regarding the manger’s future as we were 12 months ago.

Anyway it’s a big fat resounding no. A football manager is like your ex mrs... you never go back.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd love it if he came back! Won't happen, but yeah it would be bloody brilliant

geowolf

Reaction score
Nuno and Wolves are inextricably linked. He'll be back imo, sooner rather than later.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s weird but watching the footage this week of Klopp signing his new deal and the rapport he has with the Liverpool fans, made me think that’s what we had with Nuno.

For what it’s worth, think that ship has sailed, and perhaps rightly so, however I don’t think any manager comes close to what we had with Nuno for a good generation or so.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Nah, rarely works well to go back and we aren't that much worse than we were before. Difference was in the past we were still new to the Prem so the dismal performances we sort of ignored.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We got one place higher than we are now, with Jota, an uninjured Jiminez, Neto and a younger Moutiñho .
Nuno was brilliant and a cult figure, but Bruno needs to have the chance to bring some players in and Fosun to back him.

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When you see what Conte has done at Spurs, Tuchel at Chelsea and I bet Den Haag at Utd we need to be looking at this level of manager if we genuinely want to be top 4. If we're happy mid-table then fair enough stick with Lage but in the Prem a solid reputation counts for a lot. No going back for Nuno but he is streets ahead of Lage imo and my worry is that we've just accepted being a Prem also ran. Sad.
Your point about Conte etc is so right. You get what you pay for and if we want a CL quality squad and results the we have to hire someone who can deliver. But for that, Jeff will have to pay much more for a coach than he has been.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your point about Conte etc is so right. You get what you pay for and if we want a CL quality squad and results the we have to hire someone who can deliver. But for that, Jeff will have to pay much more for a coach than he has been.
This is the crux really. The club aspires top 4 but you need the quality manager who can deliver that and, of course, he will demand top players. If Fosun accept mediocrity, pay mediocre wages then we will just drift in mid-table for years imo. The right manager attracts the right players but I'm not sure Lage has the required quality or personality to be able to sell himself or the Club to the players we need.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's wearing a Bruno mask and still managing us. Has to be. Have you noticed Bruno has quite a large chin? That's to contain the beard for public appearances.

Only the relegated teams and Burnley scored fewer than us last season. And it is exactly the same this season. It's got to be the same man, hasn't it? Unless....unless...it's the same players all along simply not good enough to score goals. How could it be?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They will need considerable money available to bring in some quality in key positions. That level of manager will not join a mid-table club operating under "sell before you buy" rules. There's no magic wand that can be waved to turn the current squad into dynamic, free scoring goal scorers. Failing that, the only alternative is to keep well organised, stifle opponents and snatch something on the break. Exactly as we've seen under Nuno and Bruno.

Well, there is another alternative. Exciting football on the cheap, like Leeds. Or Fulham.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry, has everyone forgotten how utterly dire the football was in his last season. Never scoring in the first half. Never getting anyone in the box. Only beating the utterly terrible teams below us. No thanks.
Perhaps you should read the OP again!

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There is nobody amongst Mendes manager clients who is good enough to get us mixing with the Premier League elite. He’s got some decent players, but not managers (please don’t mention Mourinho).

Whoever or whenever someone replaces Bruno it will be inevitably be someone from Jorges clients. Bruno was cheap and available but does anyone believe he is a good enough manager to go toe to toe with Pep, Klippety, Tuchel, Conte etc and sustain it! The only way that will happen is if FOSUN invest serious money in a rebuild and make it an ongoing process. Will it happen? NO!

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It’s impossible to get one of those managers though when you’re Wolves.

Your best bet is to punt on an upstart from overseas and hope you strike it lucky. I think that’s what we hoped for in Lage as he clearly had something about him at Benfica - Poch when he went to Saints stands out, he was a relatively unknown entity and is now considered one of the best around.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love Nuno, will likely be my favourite Wolves manager for sometime, but going back rarely works. He’d get minimal time to turn things round from the crowd if he had a slow start, and would unlikely ever win back over the mob that wanted him out anyway.

If Lage were to walk out unexpectedly at some point…… and we needed a stop-gap, well, then, maybe……

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
What we had with Nuno was special. It's rare to get that kind of bond between manager and fans and he'll always be fondly thought of by the vast majority us. I think it was a right place right time kind of thing though and its unlikely he would have the same impact with a second stint, especially as most of the players from when he left are still around.

molineux man

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Perhaps you should read the OP again!
Just read it again, you said we finished 12th. We didn’t, we finished 13th. We were only six points from 17th.

Worst of all, despite 9 out of our 12 wins coming against bottom half sides, we didn’t beat a dreadful Albion side once!

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just read it again, you said we finished 12th. We didn’t, we finished 13th. We were only six points from 17th.

Worst of all, despite 9 out of our 12 wins coming against bottom half sides, we didn’t beat a dreadful Albion side once!

Can you not just acknowledge that he lost 40 goals with Jota and Doherty gone and Jiminez and Neto injured??

You don’t think that was significant??

You don’t think in those circumstances he was entitled to grind out some wins, which he was forced to do to keep us up??

Here’s one for you… how bad was the football in our first two seasons back in the Premiership??

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope he is sat with his feet up enjoying time with his family. Never have I seen a man with such a haunted look during that COVID season. I wish him nothing but the best. I don’t think it’s best for him or us for him to be even mentioned in any future appointments at manager/coach level.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno could come back in? Would he want to knowing how the board operate with transfers?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For what it's worth, while l still think getting rid of Nuno was an exercise in stupidity, with the exception of Eddie Howe at Bournemouth (and possibly Mourinho at Chelsea) l can't think of a manager who has gone back to a club and done at least as well as their first stint.

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry, has everyone forgotten how utterly dire the football was in his last season. Never scoring in the first half. Never getting anyone in the box. Only beating the utterly terrible teams below us. No thanks.
I must have dreamt that we beat Chavski at Molineux and Arsenal twice, including coming back from a goal down after Raul went off injured, then...

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno (ah.....smile)
If the stories of the value of his pay off are to be believed, and Spurs paid him in pound coins.....
if he is now working a five day week, eight hours a day, counting £1 per second, he would be gainfully employed until end of September 2023.
Good luck to him.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For what it's worth, while l still think getting rid of Nuno was an exercise in stupidity only rivalled by BREXIT l also think that you can't go back.

With the exception of Eddie Howe at Bournemouth (and possibly Mourinho at Chelsea) l can't think of a manager who has gone back to a club and done at least as well as their first stint.
Has David Moyes had 2 stints at West Ham? He seems to be doing ok atm…

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno coming back to manage pretty much the same bunch of players he was managing when he got the sack? Seriously? No chance. He was a very relieved man to be getting out at the end.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I must have dreamt that we beat Chavski at Molineux and Arsenal twice, including coming back from a goal down after Raul went off injured, then...

Nuno was Brilliant, but had Jota, a Jiminez before his injury, a fully fit Neves, a fit Podence and Neto. We are 1 place beneath Nuno's best.
I loved Nuno and always will, but I will give Bruno the same support I gave Nuno, because he is the manager of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
I know Nuno is a great man who loves Wolves and the people who support Wolves. I can guarantee you one thing, Nuno will be backing Bruno and wanting us to get behind Bruno, not being divided, but being one pack, with Bruno and will want Bruno and Wolves to do well.

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno fell out with the management. He won’t be coming back

Back
Top Bottom