Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Verdict: Wolves Vs Fulham

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched the highlights on Sky this morning and I thought there was cause for cautious optimism. We would have been very unfortunate to lose to that penalty. We still looked a little bit sloppy and it appeared that the players are still getting used to the new system. It will take some time before we are operating like the well oiled machine we were under Nuno's initial purple patch. I'm still a bit concerned about the defence, especially when we come up against a really top attacking team, and we should have a few more answers after next week's game against Spurs. I didn't think MGW's miss was as bad as some people are making it out to be. The ball was coming in at a hell of a pace, and I should think it was very difficult to control, Sa's penalty save was magnificent. It wasn't a penalty miss, it was a superb penalty save. Neto seems to be getting up to speed again, and it was really good to see Semedo back. I'll re-iterate that we desperately need a striker and a ball carrying midfielder who can bring the ball out of midfield and run at defences. I think we'll see a big difference once Jimenez gets back.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Disappointing, but still an improvement on much of the end of last season. The heat crippled both teams, made it slow and fractured, and I think that diminished pace suited Fulham more - at least, they dealt with it better by sitting in rank and expending less energy.

Collins and Kilman solid, and Sa needed that penalty save. Ait-Nouri did good forward things and typical, rash young defender things, and part of his development will be cutting those out. Jonny looked laboured and is a shadow of the player he once was - thank goodness Semedo is back.

Neves was good in flashes, but that free kick was selfish and embarrassing, and was followed twenty seconds later by a stroppy, sheepish foul for a booking. Our best player, our best passer, and always first name on the team sheet, but he's not going to win games, that needs to come from elsewhere.

Donk had one of his best games for us (and yes, I know the bar on that one isn't exactly high). MGW was lively, and to be honest I forgive him his hot-headedness (we need a touch of that) and his silly flicks, because he at least gives a **** and tried from start to finish. Neto is a weapon that someone needs to work out how to use effectively, the way he ****ed up that lovely chance was migraine-inducing, but he's just so dangerous. Podence was at his most Podence, if his pass success rate was above 40% I'd be astonished, and was thoroughly ineffective. Hwang flittered between actually looking like a footballer and then having familiar moments of the touch of a scarecrow wearing rubber gloves, but he held the ball up well in the first half before fading.

No one passed to Traore. So what was the point. Guedes is basically Neto, sharp pace and turn - not a striker, but will get goals, eventually. Not sure we needed another Neto, but it is what it is. We need a ****ing striker is what we need.

Lage? Well, he's not a top level manager. Let's be honest. He's just who we have. Whatever scenario he finds himself facing, he doesn't have the answers, and if anyone thinks he's going to unlock the potential of players like Neto, MGW, Ait-Nouri and Guedes, let alone Traore, they're going to be brutally disillusioned. Marco Silva was a fool for getting Fulham to time waste, they probably could have won that, but I think his players play for him more than ours do for Lage. If he went tomorrow, I don't think anyone on that pitch would bat an eyelid, and ultimately that lack of respect and belief will be costly if we're in for a long, hard season (and we are)
I’m not judging the system I’m judging the manager - imho he’s simply not good enough.
quotes…

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched the highlights on Sky this morning and I thought there was cause for cautious optimism. We would have been very unfortunate to lose to that penalty. We still looked a little bit sloppy and it appeared that the players are still getting used to the new system. It will take some time before we are operating like the well oiled machine we were under Nuno's initial purple patch. I'm still a bit concerned about the defence, especially when we come up against a really top attacking team, and we should have a few more answers after next week's game against Spurs. I didn't think MGW's miss was as bad as some people are making it out to be. The ball was coming in at a hell of a pace, and I should think it was very difficult to control, Sa's penalty save was magnificent. It wasn't a penalty miss, it was a superb penalty save. Neto seems to be getting up to speed again, and it was really good to see Semedo back. I'll re-iterate that we desperately need a striker and a ball carrying midfielder who can bring the ball out of midfield and run at defences. I think we'll see a big difference once Jimenez gets back.
I hope that you are right. I fear that you are massively over-optimistic. My big worry though is how easily losing can become a habit....

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anybody think that our (understandably) cobbled together pre season was almost too easy? We only really had Sporting as a team who really tested us - the reason I think this is that the players who shone in pre season (RAN, Podence, Neto, Jonny mainly) simply haven’t been able to carry the form into the season. RAN and Jonny are the key examples of players who have had nothing to do defensively all pre season and have been pretty rubbish at the start of this season.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Nouri has had a wobble - the 3 CBs are no longer covering wide men (two poor performances and no one to take his place, competition for places is low)
Johnny has had a wobble - the 3 CBs are no longer covering wide men
Siass has gone,
Coady has gone
Toti wasn't there! not in the squad!
Mosquera wasn't there! not in the squad!
Boly is unwanted but we need a sub just in case there's injuries....great motivation..NOT
When we played a 5 people said "Wolves are a counter attacking team"...but
Today our first two chances on goal were quick breakaway counter attacks that we should have scored from. Neto missed one, Hwang Missed the next
Four at the back and counter attack? how on earth did that happen?
Some said that we never score in the first half, change needed
Pst, we didn't score in either half, change delivered? don't make me laugh

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nouri has had a wobble - the 3 CBs are no longer covering wide men (two poor performances and no one to take his place, competition for places is low)
Johnny has had a wobble - the 3 CBs are no longer covering wide men
Siass has gone,
Coady has gone
Toti wasn't there! not in the squad!
Mosquera wasn't there! not in the squad!
Boly is unwanted but we need a sub just in case there's injuries....great motivation..NOT
When we played a 5 people said "Wolves are a counter attacking team"...but
Today our first two chances on goal were quick breakaway counter attacks that we should have scored from. Neto missed one, Hwang Missed the next
Four at the back and counter attack? how on earth did that happen?
Some said that we never score in the first half, change needed
Pst, we didn't score in either half, change delivered? don't make me laugh
Toti was on the bench, as was Boly.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang wasn't that bad yesterday, he just couldn't get in the game. The problem is we have little shape.

I'm not convinced a striker will fix it but Lage needs a chance with a proper forward. The hand he's been dealt, first team at least, is not as bad as people make out imho.

As a manager he's really not endearing himself to anyone though, seemingly including his own players.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve delayed posting as I wondered whether I’d gone to the same game as a lot on here as reading some verdicts it would appear we were hopeless and clueless and if Fulham could have been bothered they’d have scored a hatful but they just decided to take pity on us.

The game I watched, we were by far the better team and should have scored at least 2. Compared to games vs Palace, Norwich (x2), Brighton and Brentford from last season it was night and day. I was concerned before the game after Fulham’s result last week that we would struggle particularly with the new system of 4 at the back, Mitrovic and Paulhinha. 4 at the back worked fine, Collins is ok but is a bit of a bambi on ice with the ball, Kilman is special. But they dominated Mitrovic. I felt the full backs were ok apart from Ait Nouri’s brain fade for the penalty but Semedo looked very good when he came on. In midfield Donk and Neves dominated, it was also noticeable that Neves dropped deeper but because Coady wasn’t there it worked and allowed him to get on the ball. Up front I felt Hwang wasn’t anywhere as bad as he was last season but was dead in his feet after an hour. The 3 behind him and Guedes were trying a lot but not everything came off, however Podence and MGW were guilty of missing guilt edged chances. They were very fluid, dropping deeper and changing positions. MGW was alot better than last time I saw him live, he still overdoes the tricks but he is stronger and more aware of others. He was also able to drive forward from midfield a couple of times. It was also noticeable that Fulham’s Centre backs seemed to fall over as soon as they were challenged by a lot smaller players, whereas we got nothing when they fouled MGW, Podence or Neto.

Yes we missed a striker up front but all in all I felt there was room for optimism. The team are getting used to a new system and new players and it won’t happen over night.

sigarner

Reaction score
Only positive yesterday was I made it to my new seat 2nd row from the back of the North Bank upper without keeling over

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those folk wanting Nuno out argued that he had the handbrake on and that the squad would do better with a new attacking head coach. Last season the excuse was that it was Nuno's squad and Lage hadn't been backed. This season we had a bloody big clear out, which he was presumably involved in, have supposedly changed the pattern (though we seem to have no discernible shape) and made a couple of hefty purchases so far. All you hear though from some is that Lage hasn't been backed enough.

When, if ever, do some people think that he will be responsible for results or rather the lack of?

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Should have won comfortably despite not being overly impressed with our performance. A couple of key signings (or the Raul of old) and we'll see a marked difference

Thought Fulham were garbage. Whole game is based upon trying to get a cross in to Mitrovic. They will go down

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Those folk wanting Nuno out argued that he had the handbrake on and that the squad would do better with a new attacking head coach. Last season the excuse was that it was Nuno's squad and Lage hadn't been backed. This season we had a bloody big clear out, which he was presumably involved in, have supposedly changed the pattern (though we seem to have no discernible shape) and made a couple of hefty purchases so far. All you hear though from some is that Lage hasn't been backed enough.

When, if ever, do some people think that he will be responsible for results or rather the lack of?
As soon as the crowed turn and we get spanked. It's coming IMO.

Flattest crowed I've seen for a long time, understandably.

Still love Bruno to turn it around, of course I would, but he's struggling to motivate a really talented group of players. They're all operating at 6/10 far too often

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Much as l hate to say it, and neither seems like any sort of long-term solution, we are paying both Cutrone and Bonatini. Not even considering either when we currently, without an established striker up top, have the penetration of a eunuch in a harem is a prime example of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Me Babbies

Reaction score
What do you expect him to do when we didn’t give him the ball?
I'd like him to move into space and give options to pass to him, like pretty much any professional football player.
Not just stand and watch the game like most of the Billy Wright stand....

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But if we have a stifled squad that can't score goals - under *two* consecutive managers, doesn't that suggest that it's not the managers fault? I don't think your reasoning leads to your conclusion! Nuno and Bruno have both managed teams before that had no problem scoring. It's that we have one PL level goalscorer in the squad and he's maybe 80% what he was.

The hefty purchases have been a centre half and another forward who scores a few, I believe last season was the first when he really rattled a few in. And he's had about 20 minutes! I suppose Hwang counts as a hefty purchase last year...

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
I can only accept that the Sky highlights were representive of the game.
We were far the better team outside the Fulham box.
Says it all we lose our only striker at Molineux through injury and we couldn’t score in a house of I’ll repute.
0-0 doesn’t avoid the drop against a Championship side.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the second half it seemed Lage had changed more to his 442 thing than the 4231. Meant MGW was pushed out very wide which I don’t think helped him or us.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Not read through....

Watched the highlights, MGW, and either Neto or Pod have to score....

Was difficult to see how poor the misses were when live...

Got to do better infront goal. Still can't believe Mitrovic did not get sent off...

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching MOTD just now you realise the lack of genuine quality throughout our side (Neves apart) but thankfully that goes for about at least 10-12 other sides. Positives this early are the Kilman/Collins partnership and the form of Neves, just hope he's not playing to attract attention? RAN has had 2 bad games and Semedo should come in v Spurs. With Neves so deep our mf consists of Dendonker and if this persists we will struggle to match last season's 38 goals. I think Podence and MGW are a luxury together, a luxury we can ill afford. I think Guedes looks more a wide player than a striker? Could he play off Jimenez? As Shearer says, and we all know, we need someone to score goals. If we don't get a proper striker in we will struggle this season for sure.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t get this. He took over a team with a lot of talent. Sure he hasn’t been supported but he should be doing better with what he has. He has worked with this group for over a year and they are going backwards. Surely he also had to approve letting Silva go on loan or things are worse than I thought with or “football department”
Took over a side that finished 13th, took it to 10th with no backing, waiting on a striker and a midfielder, let’s judge him in a few months.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely agree, last season is of no real relevance now. We are playing a different formation and have (some) different players and others playing who are back from long term injury who are probably fit for the first time in a long while. We should just concentrate on what has happened this season.
Well Andy, it's good to hear that someone feels like me.
Your reasons being absolutely spot on.

MelbourneWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Took over a side that finished 13th, took it to 10th with no backing, waiting on a striker and a midfielder, let’s judge him in a few months.

You are assuming Nuno had done as well as he possibly could in that year we finished 13th. I believe circumstances were extremely different and Nuno was done. I get the no backing and that sucks, but he just doesn't fill me with confidence that he is good enough for the Premier League. When things go south he reacts like a rabbit in the headlights, a mixture of surprise, fear and utter bewilderment.
I hope more than anything he turns it around fast.

Back
Top Bottom