Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Verdict: Wolves Vs Fulham

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Instead of 5 defenders and 3 attackers we now have 4 defenders and 4 attackers but crucially still no one to pull the strings and create in mf. Neves was the star at Leeds and did ok today but he's becoming more and more defensive which leaves us Dendonker who doesn't score and doesn't create. Podence, Neto and MGW, all young but all 3 are inconsistent and imv as a 3 are not the answer. The answer is, and has been for 2 seasons now, a dynamic, attacking mf and a goalscorer. Wolves, for whatever reason, just don't seem to want to put in place the final pieces of the jigsaw.
I agree but our model is to buy abd sell for profit so will never change as need young players to come good and make profit on sale.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RAN has had a poorish start to the season but it would be a huge mistake to drop him in my opinion. If we are supposed to be building something here for the future then we need to stick with it, his ceiling is much better than Semedo or Jonnys. I do agree with the view he is a better wing back than full back though.

I think Bruno needs to consider if RAN would be better used as a winger, at least as an option. His defensive play improved last season, but he had the benefit of more cover. As a FB, he’s carrying more defensive responsibilities and in the PL, that’s a tough job. Think he could be a better player further up the pitch, with the ability to get back to support the defence when needed.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First half ok. Second half ****e.
Hwang Podence Neto and MGW should all have scored. On a good that’s 4 . On a wolves typical day it’s sweet F A and it costs us 2 points.
Sa decent pen save but WTF is RAN doing again? Heatstroke challenge

And anyone who doubts what Donk does bring should be shown a video of this game. He was excellent.
Bruno is going no where. He will start to get a tune out of this group. There were signs first half today. We had more pace and bite than the tail end of last season.

Not happy but not despondent. It’s a clean sheet so it’s a start

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa... Happy for him for the penalty save.

Jonny and RAN... both had a disasterclass. Actually think Jonny's overall game was worse than RAN who will take the critics for the pen. In positive news Semedo looked good very sharp.

Collins and Kilman... both very solid. Looks to be an excellent partnership in the making. Nice to have CBs that dominate Mitrovic who was VERY quiet. They had a lot of the ball, both good with the ball at their feet but felt they were a little slow in passing out from the back.

Neves... was okay not his best game.

Dendoncker... Good game from him I thought very good defensively. Never thought he and Neves was a good partnership he tends to look better with Joao.

Neto... a little frustrating for me. Looks so dangerous when on the ball but was a little frustrating overall.

Podence... some nice moments but overall pretty ineffective

MGW... played well. A hard worker, tried lots of things.

Hwang... much more of a natural CF than Guedes should of done better for his chance early on though.

Overall I'm not too despondent think that team is much better with an actual CF. Some promising signs for me we look pretty solid defensively with the exception of our fullbacks who need to get a grip. I think we will definitely improve hopefully a CM and CF on their way.

Fulham were disgraceful in the second half ... the new Brentford. Palhinha doesn't look like we are missing much tbh.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think Bruno needs to consider if RAN would be better used as a winger, at least as an option. His defensive play improved last season, but he had the benefit of more cover. As a FB, he’s carrying more defensive responsibilities and in the PL, that’s a tough job. Think he could be a better player further up the pitch, with the ability to get back to support the defence when needed.

I don’t see why he couldn’t be used on the left of a midfield 3. He has energy and can run with the ball. In that position, he wouldn’t have to worry about running beyond the attackers after passing either because there would be cover.

It may not happen soon but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him progress into that role at some point in his career. Be it with Wolves or another club.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To think we could have got £30 for MGW - he should be fined a weeks wages for each ridiculous backheel resulting in Fulham charging up the pitch. A further fine for missing a sitter !

NEVER EVER will be Premiership material !
Harsh but agree with sentiment

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think MGW is the answer, espeacilly not blended with Neto & Podence. We need a fully functioning Jiminez up top or an equally physical CF.

I fear Bruno may not have many more games in charge.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree but our model is to buy abd sell for profit so will never change as need young players to come good and make profit on sale.
Not any more it's not :)

We will buy our way out of trouble this season but I'm worried about Brunoball

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not any more it's not :)

We will buy our way out of trouble this season but I'm worried about Brunoball
Not convinced it ever has been tbh. Apart from Jota, I am struggling to think of another significant sale in the last 5 years.

W

WasStefan

quite poor. i’ll reserve judgement for now but first instincts are we are for a loooong season.

i think with this formation we will win more against mid table and lower teams but get absolutely tonked against the top 6 sides.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very impressed with Kilman/ Collins combo at the back. We need to be taught something called COMPOSURE in front of goal. Lack of it is why Neto and MGW failed to convert simple chances. Overall, tempo so, so, slow. Still so much sideways/ backwards passing. Guedes decent, will get a lot better. Adama not there mentally, he's not interested. Hwang, sorry he is not a PL footballer. Interested for 5 minutes then disappears. That's one goal from 3 hours of play against 2 teams which will be in the bottom 6. No where near good enough.

floydstreet

Reaction score
So we don’t need to worry about four at back. The centre half partnership is excellent and Semedo will improve the back four further.
Midfield donk played well, neves was superb, moutinho good but still need another.
Wingers / wide players we have enough but we need either one of Guedes, mgw, podence, neto, Hwang to score c7/8 goals at least.
Raul would have loved today and linked brilliantly with MGW in particular. But we all know we need another top striker.

Two top players away from a good squad
Question is buy a striker and midfielder- who do we have to sell to finance this ?

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Podence, Neto and MGW, all young but all 3 are inconsistent and imv as a 3 are not the answer. The answer is, and has been for 2 seasons now, a dynamic, attacking mf and a goalscorer. Wolves, for whatever reason, just don't seem to want to put in place the final pieces of the jigsaw.
Has to be Podence OR Gibbs-White, but not both.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just managed to watch the full match but having just tried to play for 2 hours in that heat... just horrible.

Anyway, no one was particularly bad IMHO or particularly good but Pod just does not work in that position at the moment. MGW should be playing there - the run second half showed what he can do.

Biggest worry - we have no shape. I have no idea what the players are trying to do. I still contrast that with Nuno where we were tactically incredibly set. It may not have always worked but you knew the plan. Under Lage, there seems to be no plan at all and again the subs came too late.

Defensively we did ok today but going forwards we looked oblivious to any plan whatsoever. We only had two chances against a poor side and one of those was their keeper making a mistake. No blame on any of the forwards TBH. Hwang, MGW and Neto struggled to get in the game, especially second half.

RAN played ok and set up our chance but he has to stop switching off. 3 times in 2 games now. MGW maybe should have scored but it was a trickier chance than it first looked.

Lage's getting players now but we still look terribly average. We should be playing better than this with the forwards at his disposal.

EDIT: I missed the first 7 mins and apparently Hwang missed a chance?

Last edited:

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People write their posts about Donk before the games and leave them in drafts.
He played well today, he did exactly what was asked of him. Actually also played a few decent forward passes
Nothing wrong with doncks today, I agree. If there's an issue, it's Podence not working as the third midfielder. MGW works so much harder and is more direct. Pod's a great player on his day but it's not working.

floydstreet

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with doncks today, I agree. If there's an issue, it's Podence not working as the third midfielder. MGW works so much harder and is more direct. Pod's a great player on his day but it's not working.
Donk was good today some nice passing too
Raul fit and another striker
Then it’s probably mgw or podence in 10
Neto / Hwang one side Guedes / Adama other wing

W

WasStefan

Nowt wrong with Donck, but he’s not the midfielder we need. We need someone who not only breaks up player but one that can take the ball forward and make those passes into a striker/ inside forward. He’s not that.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we looked like we had a lack of direction because we didn't have that striker to play towards.

Fulham just played to Mitrovic strengths. We just had 4 wingers on the pitch trying to dribble in a heat wave.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Max Kilimanjaro I dubbed him last season and I hope it sticks. England centre half in the making
Ironic if he makes the England squad and Coady misses out? I think Kilman will only get better alongside Collins and seeing Everton today Coady is going to struggle with Holgate and Tarkowski beside him. Interesting that Coady was the CH sacrificed by Lampard when chasing the game.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the heat sapped the energy from the game second half for both sides which made it more disjointed too to be fair.
Shouldn't have been too much of a problem for the Fulham players, they spent the majority of the second-half on their arses!

floydstreet

Reaction score
Yeah there was some Brentford esque time wasting for sure. Not as bad and I get it, but I hate it (same if we do it) and think the ref could have got a grip mind you. Their goalie time wasting just book him straight away, happened to Sa last season away at Brentford and totally fair

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has to be Podence OR Gibbs-White, but not both.
I tend to agree. With this formation and players available we don't seem to have a mf. With Neves so deep we have 5 defenders, 4 attackers and Dendonker running up and down but but basically not doing anything creative. I think 4 at the back will work but as for the rest, unless we get an out and out striker, I just see us toiling and getting not very far. As for Jimenez I don't see him as the answer tbh. We need a new striker simple as. From the little I saw of Guedes today, he's not physically big and he seems to like to play out wide. Perhaps not the goal-scorer we were hoping for?

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weird seeing people laughing-react to this when we haven’t won in NINE games, against mostly dross.

Genuinely don’t get the devotion some people have to him, when I feel absolutely nothing at all.
I agree, it's rather bizarre. Think of the reactions if someone like Paul Lambert was in charge. We have been terrible under this manager! And yes, I know it's not "his tools", but you must try to get the best out of what's available. He does not. At all.

Back
Top Bottom