Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Verdict: Wolves Vs Fulham

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brilliant post. Spot on throughout. It particularly struck a chord for me when you said that were Lage to go how any of the players would bat an eyelid. I think that's really true.

I've copped grief for saying this in the past, but i think Lage is a good coach, but i dont think he is a head coach/manager. I dont think he is a good man manager, i dont think he can formulate a good game plan or style of play. I reckon he got lucky where everything fell into place for him at Benfica, but when it went wrong he couldnt turn it around.

He seems good from his background at improving and working with younger players, but its not really translating to what he is going as a manager/head coach.

Last edited:

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very slow and another hard watch.

I notice the reactions to MGW's performance on here and I really don't get it. I thought he was our best attacking player today.

And Neves getting some praise as usual. I thought he was very ineffective and slow. Dendoncker was surely our best central midfielder - won lots of duels and broke up play very well.

Kilman and Collins did well while Jonny and RAN were well below par.

And Bruno? He is very lucky to be managing a Premier League side.
100% concur.

the 15th Wanderer

Reaction score
I know the conditions are the same for both teams but did anyone else notice it was quite warm yesterday? May go some way to explain the poorer second half.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I know the conditions are the same for both teams but did anyone else notice it was quite warm yesterday? May go some way to explain the poorer second half.
I’d imagine it was difficult to play in but we can’t use it as too much of an excuse. Other teams seemed to do alright yesterday.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fail to see how this is Brunos fault.
When he arrived,Nuno had left an allready unbalanced squad behind..and then the backing from our owner hasn´t been up to scratch resulting in that the unbalanced squad continues to haunt us.
I am a little bit critical regarding the Guedes transfer since it doesn´t adresses those unbalances..especially regarding striker and central midfield.
However I can accept it due to the versatility of Guedes...but in the near future we need to adress our unbalances directly via the transfermarket for us to have a decent chance to progress and to further establish ourselves in the Premier League.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sorry but people calling for Lage's head are just embarrassing. He was basically forced to play a back five last year because we didn't have the personnel to play in a back four, and yet he still had us pushing top six by Christmas with basically the same group of players that looked like relegation fodder in Nuno's final season.

This year he finally gets a decent CB in to pair with Kilman, we've played TWO league games and conceded TWICE, yes it should have been three, but all through fault of one player. Very fixable. Kilman and Collins, for two young centre backs, look assured and commanding, and dominated Mitrovic today, and I felt dealt with Leeds full press in the first half fairly comfortably last week.

The main problem right now, is how wasteful we've been in possession, largely in that final third. It's the same problems we had last season, except now, we have an extra man going forward, but through no fault of Lage's, he has no centre forward to play as the focal point in this system. The ball isn't sticking with Hwang, Podence or Guedes playing with their back to goal.

We dominated possession against both Leeds and Fulham, and we actually look fairly comfortable in this system, even when we're being pressed (RAN aside, who hasn't adjusted yet, but he's still only just turned 21, so let's be realistic). When we have a fit Jimenez (and sign another to compete with him), we'll have any three of Guedes, Neto, MGW, Podence, Hwang, Traore playing behind him. Those are some serious, and very varied options to have.

When it clicks in an attacking sense, we'll be a match for any team in this league. I know it's a minority spouting this rubbish, but it just baffles me that people don't have the foresight to see what difference a proper centre forward, and hopefully another midfielder, will make to this team.
Well said sir

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well it is 9 games without a win and 3 wins in 16 isn't it?

Slightly premature maybe but you don't honestly think these conversations are not being discussed behind the scenes at this point.
Personally I think we should forget the end of last season's capitulation and crass performances and NOT include the statistics for this season.
It's this season we should be focusing on, not the last.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I think we should forget the end of last season's capitulation and crass performances and NOT include the statistics for this season.
What a strange opinion. I really hope nobody involved with running the club is doing the same.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Positives .Kilman and Collins look solid and will only improve. MGW mixed bag but enjoyed his energy and spark in midfield. Neto still not quite up to speed in my opinion but looks hungry and determined. Dendocker was excellent.

Negatives full backs .Ait Nouri is more a wing back Pen was poor from him.Podence I mean I felt he was our poorest player. Had to be subbed. Traore -please someone buy him -Forest need a player don't they ?

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don’t think MGW is the answer, espeacilly not blended with Neto & Podence. We need a fully functioning Jiminez up top or an equally physical CF.

I fear Bruno may not have many more games in charge.
That may be why he is less than courteous to the fans and why he had a spat with the Leeds coach. I would imagine that if a sword is dangling over your head any niceties are quickly forgotten.

What's the betting, that if Wolves are struggling in the PL when Christmas arrives Lage will already be history?

The Pie Poker

Reaction score
My early season scapegoats are RAN and MGW. I'm blaming them for everything so far.

Podence should've been subbed for Guedes 2nd half, but doesn't deserve the hate.

Both early through balls for the one on ones 1st half for Neto and Hwang were from him

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What a strange opinion. I really hope nobody involved with running the club is doing the same.
I think from the perspective of moving from back 5 to back 4 post Coady there’s some merit to not assessing this season and last season in the same bucket.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The lack of patience / respect / common sense on here is honestly breathtaking
How long has this been going on though? Ever since we sold Jota we‘ve not bee scoring enough goals, it’s been plain for all to see for an eternity. What have the club done about it? Nothing.

After the terrible injury to Raul, we did nothing to fix that in the short term and have still done nothing to back up what could be a less effective Raul moving forward.

That’s a potential 5 points lost already this season, for the club not acting when they could/should have. We’ve not won a game in 9 I think now, how many goals have we scored in this run? I think 6 and 2 of those were scored by Coady and Trincao!

Patience?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are we really doing “sack the manager” after two games?
There were a lot of rumours around that he'd have been gone in the summer had Fosun's target actually wanted to join us.

Can't blame Lage if players can't hit target when presented with sitters - more shooting practice please....

I'm not a fan but think talking about sacking him now is premature. He doesn't help himself though with bloody awful substitutions and blatant favouritism. All too often we are bloody slow, slow, slow...

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought we missed Coady's passing ability and his balls out from the back today.

The long passes from the back were effective in the Championship. In the PL, defenders generally just get back into shape, especially when it'll get passed out wide, and then passed back to the defence.

I reckon if we looked at yesterday's heat map, we'd see the game spent half the time being passed between Kilman and Collins.

Tapping it about to create stuff only works if there are urgent sharp passes when required, but you can see both the passes and the train of thought is just far too slow.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
m not a fan but think talking about sacking him now is premature. He doesn't help himself though with bloody awful substitutions and blatant favouritism. All too often we are bloody slow, slow, slow...
Admittedly the lack of a target man doesn't help, but I agree.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There were a lot of rumours around that he'd have been gone in the summer had Fosun's target actually wanted to join us.

Can't blame Lage if players can't hit target when presented with sitters - more shooting practice please....

I'm not a fan but think talking about sacking him now is premature. He doesn't help himself though with bloody awful substitutions and blatant favouritism. All too often we are bloody slow, slow, slow...
Wonder if they had Lopetegui lined up as he was rumoured to be leaving Sevilla but ended up staying?

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lage has been given two players since he joined a year ago and that’s in the last 2 weeks. You can’t judge a manager until he has his own players and at least till end of November

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
Regard the heat, we didn't see many players take on their man, a big part of our game and it was quite absent yesterday, leading to fewer chances. Hopefully normal service will resume when the heatwave passes..

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How long has this been going on though? Ever since we sold Jota we‘ve not bee scoring enough goals, it’s been plain for all to see for an eternity. What have the club done about it? Nothing.

After the terrible injury to Raul, we did nothing to fix that in the short term and have still done nothing to back up what could be a less effective Raul moving forward.

That’s a potential 5 points lost already this season, for the club not acting when they could/should have. We’ve not won a game in 9 I think now, how many goals have we scored in this run? I think 6 and 2 of those were scored by Coady and Trincao!

Patience?

Lack of patience with fosun is quite right - it’s crazy how long we have neglected cm and cf and complete stupidity to let Silva go

Bruno deserves patience . He’s implementing a more attacking system. It isn’t going to be perfect straight away, particularly when he doesn’t have a striker.

I’ve rarely seen teams play well when they don’t have a striker

Stourwolf

Reaction score
Kilman / Collins great…Johnny and Ait nouri worrying..the rest average.
We look desperately short of ideas attacking wise, and our shooting and crossing is woeful.

MIKE SLATER

Groupie
Reaction score
I got some stick for politely saying the money on the free scarves could have been better spent. I didn't see anyone wearing one yesterday so I rest my case ! On a more serious note, I feel we could have been in the top seven the last four seasons if we had a decent striker. We were sixth when Jimenez got injured at Arsenal in 2020, and our other two leading scorers, Jota and Doherty had been sold. Wolves ended up 13th and Nuno was suddenly a failure. Last season a European place was there for the taking when we were sixth again in April, but lack of a goalscorer ended those hopes. The top Wolves' scorers in 2020-21 got five, and in 2021-22 got six. Perhaps someone one will score seven this season.....................

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've copped grief for saying this in the past, but i think Lage is a good coach, but i dont think he is a head coach/manager. I dont think he is a good man manager, i dont think he can formulate a good game plan or style of play. I reckon he got lucky where everything fell into place for him at Benfica, but when it went wrong he couldnt turn it around.

He seems good from his background at improving and working with younger players, but its not really translating to what he is going as a manager/head coach.

Think I agree with you there.

Me Babbies

Reaction score
South Bank 3.
Clearly wanting to give Fulham an advantage by calling for Adama to come on, instantly making us play with 10 men....

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely agree, last season is of no real relevance now. We are playing a different formation and have (some) different players and others playing who are back from long term injury who are probably fit for the first time in a long while. We should just concentrate on what has happened this season.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely agree, last season is of no real relevance now. We are playing a different formation and have (some) different players and others playing who are back from long term injury who are probably fit for the first time in a long while. We should just concentrate on what has happened this season.
It really doesn’t take much for the rot to set in. This squad hasn’t won a match since the start of April, of course it’s of relevance.

MelbourneWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
BLage has been given two players since he joined a year ago and that’s in the last 2 weeks. You can’t judge a manager until he has his own players and at least till end of November
I don’t get this. He took over a team with a lot of talent. Sure he hasn’t been supported but he should be doing better with what he has. He has worked with this group for over a year and they are going backwards. Surely he also had to approve letting Silva go on loan or things are worse than I thought with or “football department”

Back
Top Bottom