Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Verdict Thread (For what it's worth)

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Toti and Chinqiho only real positives.

Looking at other games still to play Leicester will probably finish above us, and Palace might also finish above us - two points dropped today may well have cost us close to £5m in positional payments.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This group of players have reverted to the same boring football under two managers now. When that happens it's them that you have to start questioning. If we don't invest in the team this summer, we are in trouble next season regardless of who the manager is.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only giving thumbs up to the crowd in the lap of honour, no waving that could be interpreted as a farewell. So I'd say definitely staying.

He's definitely going though.
Photo of him apparently crying.... I fear the worst...

Post #118

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We could easily end up needing to sign 7 or 8 players in the summer tbh, Its likely to be a huge task and we’ve got a team running the show on this who haven’t managed to procure a decent a decent CM or CB in 3 years. Its quite concerning. We may not exactly be the new Newcastle, but we haven’t exactly been existing on pennies either.

In reality though, Lage must be on very thin ice here? If I was fosun looking to make some serious changes I’d be extremely anxious about letting him and Sellars splash the cash that they’ll make available tbh. If we end up with a few more Hwangs we will be in deep, deep trouble, no doubt about it. These past few months have been little short of a shambles and everything was right there for us to play for. Its a bit gutting really, but we’ve shown no real desire at all for whatever reason.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

We could easily end up needing to sign 7 or 8 players in the summer tbh, Its likely to be a huge task and we’ve got a team running the show on this who haven’t managed to procure a decent a decent CM or CB in 3 years. We aren’t Newcastle, but we aren’t exactly on pennies either.

Lage must be on a very thin tightrope here? If I was fosun looking to make some serious changes I’d be extremely anxious about letting him and Sellars splash the cash that we’ll have available tbh. Sign a few more Hwangs and we will be in deep, deep trouble. These past few months have been nothing short of a shambles and everything was right there for us to play for. Its a bit gutting really, but we’ve shown no real desire at all
The problem is the higher ups at Fosun won't have a clue about anything other than league position will they? When was the last time Guo attended a game ? Not that I am bothered about that but just as a general point.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem is the higher ups at Fosun won't have a clue about anything other than league position will they? When was the last time Guo attended a game ? Not that I am bothered about that but just as a general point.

Even if they only have a passing interest in football they will surely know we’ve been utter ****e in recent months, and whats ahead of us this summer in terms of established players moving on and the risk this will carry?

Balls it up and their asset will lose god knows how much in value at a stroke

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'll get nowhere near those values. Those are gold-tinted expectations.

Who is going to pay serious money for Coady? A 29 year-old who isn't fast, can't tackle, gets bullied against strong players, can only play in a certain formation that protects him and scores once in a blue moon?

He is a good off the field character, and has been a key part of a great journey from the 2nd division to PL stability here, but clubs are not going to throw down big sums for a good guy around the training ground.

Neves will either go underpriced on the Mendes carousel or for an "ok" fee a la Jota or Doherty.
A championship play off winner would buy coady or thelwell might buy him for everton.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

A championship play off winner would buy coady or thelwell might buy him for everton.
aha just remembered Thelwell was at Everton.

Lampard and Thelwell leading them into a bright new future.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree. For Fosun the project was get promoted and stay there. We won't get 8th, but 10th is good enough.

I think we will be lucky if we get all the money from sales, and doubt we will get the inflated values that some have been talking about. Neves, Adama, Dendonker, Jiminez - £80m tops - that's if we can find buyers.

On the plus side I am looking forward to seeing Cundle, Campbell and Chinq playing regular football. Fabio not so much.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were not as poor as we were in our last home game of the season under Nuno, but it had that vibe to it.

Ruddy didn't have a great deal to do, even if Norwich did repeatedly trouble our backline.

The wing backs are a problem right now - Jonny has the look of a bloke who has decided he's had enough - he was awful again today and has been for weeks now. Granted, he was rushed back into a lot of games after a long time out but this seems like there's more to it. He's coasting. Aít-Nouri is talented but there's no real incisiveness, especially in his defending. This is a product of the lack of leadership on the field - it can stifle the development of talented players like RAN, so the upgrades to the spine of the side can't come soon enough.

The back three were all at sea, again. Coady has been shown up as flat footed for a lot of the season. Bruno changed the system early in the season and eeked a bit more out of him, but he's a championship midfielder who has been fortunate to have two managers who have essentially had to build the team around him. When he went off, we were vastly superior, and that wasn't a coincidence. Boly showed glimpses of his old self, but he's clearly feeling the effects of father time. Toti was the pick of the bunch, but his distribution was also at times poor and isn't a guaranteed shoe-in into the side, despite his impressive cameos.

Neves hasn't looked 100% since his injury, Moutinho huffed and puffed but didn't really come into the game until the second half. Neto was his brightest yet, but still isn't 100%. Raul similarly hasn't been the same since his injury - a season and a half on - and I doubt he ever will. Hwang was dire - no lack of effort, just simply not good enough.

The subs changed the game slightly again. Just like against Chelsea we came alive for a ten minute spell, sadly this time it only brought a single goal, but could have been two with Neto's headed effort, but we wouldn't have really deserved it.

Chiquinho is talented, but lacks the close control of Traore. He likes to get the ball in early, and his crosses are far more accurate than anyone else in the squad, but with Raul dropping into a wide midfield role at times, like Traore, his options were limited in terms of aim. Fabio was direct but he's still got a long way to go to.

As I've said for much of the season, and as has been said ad nauseam by greater minds than mine, the nucleus of the side is in dire need of refresh. That's a big job, and whether Bruno is up to the job or not is a moot point, because today just strengthened my view that he's already gone further.

The rebuild will be interesting. Last season felt like the end of an era, just as this does. Can fosun do it again?

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
Watched the game in Cape Verde mainly to get out of the sun. 6 Wolves fans watching on some ****e streaming Chanel while Hammers and City on in next bar. Half time I was the only Wolves fan watching.
Says it all

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tempo and ambition were seriously lacking today. Bruno was waving the players forward but it’s still very safe and controlled. We are so scared of getting caught ahead of the ball that the players don’t take any chances in possession or make enough supporting runs.

Forwards didn’t bust any form of lung to get into the box and seem to have forgotten the word “gamble”.

All in all it’s a performance to sum the end of the season up. A bit of huff and puff but not enough belief or genuine ability to cause too many issues other than a 10 minute spell in the 2nd half.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boring, just so boring to watch.

Of course finishing 8-10th is far better than being in the relegation mix (be careful what you wish for and all that), but I’m finding the football we play tedious and uninspiring. Even Nuno’s side that finished 13th seemed to create a few chances.

Toti Gomes - MOTM

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope I'm wrong about all this but I'm truly worried about relegation next season. I'm also worried about next Saturday at Liverpool. If they believe they could finish level on points with Man City and it may come down to goal difference, I think we could be in for an absolute thrashing of 7 goals or more. I'm Mr Optimistic, but I have lost all confidence in this team and manager.

I think we will get something against Liverpool and hopefully stop them winning the Premier League. We will all be positive again and want Bruno to stay again, except WickedWolfie.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we will get something against Liverpool and hopefully stop them winning the Premier League. We will all be positive again and want Bruno to stay again, except WickedWolfie.
There are many posters on here who were pushing for Lage to go way before l did and do so vehemently. Why do l get targeted? lol

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
Ok we were ****e again, but this thread is the biggest load of reactionary *******s I've read in a long time.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A game with both positives and negatives. Much like our season. And I suspect your perspective on which of those outweighs the other is largely dictated by whether you're an optimist or a pessimist.

I'm generally an optimist. There was a lot to dislike in the game, but it does feel like the club are aware of the issues and we may finally get the refresh we've been needing for two seasons. The first season was a perfect summary of all of our problems. Players who are too used to a defensive default, but are nolonger performing the defensive side well. Going forward, not enough numbers to break ANYONE down, and not enough variance in play to surprise the opposition. Several players looking like they're already thinking of their next club.

Second half we saw a lot more intent. We saw Gomes and Chiquinho take the game by the neck, and both Neves and Moutinho worked hard. Fabio is coming on in leaps and looks far more of a threat currently than Raul. The team looked a lot more interested and inspired, but, ultimately, still lacked the ability to carve teams open.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the very rare times that during the game I was sorry that I made the decision to go and my mind was wandering to what else I could have done with my day instead of using it all up travelling to Molineux and back. It was pretty depressing to watch. Atmosphere as flat as a pancake and no real belief in the stadium we could win it. There was something inevitable about Norwich's goal.

I was in two minds about Lage, as I have no idea how he would do with a team rebuild. I'm starting to believe that it would be beyond his capabilities and he is out of his depth. I've been swayed by his recent chopping and changing of tactics, players and formations as we get worse week on week. It seems like he's panicking, like a rabbit caught in the headlights. I'd love him to prove me wrong.

Hope I'm wrong about all this but I'm truly worried about relegation next season. I'm also worried about next Saturday at Liverpool. If they believe they could finish level on points with Man City and it may come down to goal difference, I think we could be in for an absolute thrashing of 7 goals or more. I'm Mr Optimistic, but I have lost all confidence in this team and manager.
I'm not at all worried about next Saturday. Next Sunday, however, scares me to death.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I saw a chap, with one leg, do what appeared to be a Cruyff turn. Incredible to see. Thank you to the players of both sides in that HT match for actual giving us something to sing about.

Shame about the football either side of it.
Agree 100%. Sat at half time looking around the stadium thinking why have we all paid £30-40 for this during cost of living crisis - only enjoyment I got was from half time game. Perhaps we should give £40 to charity and follow some local 5-aside team instead...

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whether the players are behind Lage or not is questionable, but to be that passive and pathetic against the worst team in the league in the final home game of the season, a fair well for some players but also some season ticket holders who won’t be there next season is so so poor.

I hope anyone who doesn’t want to be there is long gone this summer.
This is critical for me. You get every player in the dressing room and you ask are we in this together. Look at your team mates. If you don't want to be here there's the door. Don't lie to yourself and don't lie to your team mates.

rubyloo

Reaction score
This is critical for me. You get every player in the dressing room and you ask are we in this together. Look at your team mates. If you don't want to be here there's the door. Don't lie to yourself and don't lie to your team mates.
Saw a little incident second half which smacked of 'disharmony': Bruno shouting instructions to Raul and getting a very dismissive gesture back in return. Just how I saw it from BWU anyway.

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty much as everything already said above.

A game between two teams with nothing to play for and we couldn't really create much against a team that's already relegated and largely been fodder for the last few months.

Toti came in for Saiss and looked solid enough and certainly no worse than Romain has offered in the last few months (not sure why this change wasn't made several games ago).

The performance had more than a whiff of players that aren't really trying that much for theirmanager, especially compared to their exploits up to around two months ago.

Quite worryingly it looked to me that too many of them aren't actually fit and struggled with mobility around the pitch - more understandable in the case Neves (recently back from injury) and to a degree Neto (still finding his way back after a long-term injury and desperately needs a pre-season). Probably too many of them know they're getting a game and have sunk too far in the comfort zone.

A season that promised so much not so long ago petered out into one most of us will be glad to see put to bed this coming weekend.

Would love to see us end on a high this Sunday against champions hopefuls but I honestly can't see it based on what I've watched recently (love to be proven wrong).

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

From the official wolves website (after getting a point against the worst team in the league)

John Ruddy was pleased Wolves managed a “small bounce back” from defeat on Wednesday by adding a point to the board against Norwich City.​

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Saw a little incident second half which smacked of 'disharmony': Bruno shouting instructions to Raul and getting a very dismissive gesture back in return. Just how I saw it from BWU anyway.
Yeah I got the same feeling throughout the game - Bruno getting really frustrated on the touchline, throwing his hands up in the air, trying to give instructions, but largely being ignored by those on the pitch...

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched the lap of honour on YouTube. Neves just showed his appreciation by clapping. No waving.
John Ruddy was by himself. His son was keeping goal for Wales U15 against ROI in a 3-3 draw. They lost the penalty shoot out

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After halftime we seemed to briefly go to 442, and for the first time it looked good, and we scored!
Then we seemed to immediately drop Jonny back into a 3 and things fizzled out.
I guess it was supposed to be some hybrid system where we switched between the two systems. Pity we didn’t just continue with the more attacking approach.

I think Bruno does have an inclination to over complicate things.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everything just seemed flat, the players, the crowd everything about yesterday, and now Im going to say is Bruno the right man ?, Nuno left a big hole to fill and as yet Bruno has not filled it can he ? Im beginning to have my doubts mainly because I dont see on the pitch what Bruno says he is trying to do, and if yesterday was the summary of his first season then we have gone backwards albeit only slightly due to some players stagnating and others who are on the way down. We never had any sustained pressure, always looked likely to concede and 3 forwards started that I cant remember when they last scored a goal and these are regarded by Bruno as first choice forwards, Pedro looked lively in the first half but tired, Raul was barely in a position to score a goal, and Hwang does what he does huffs and puffs but again rarely threatened, basically like most of us hoping Ruben could give us a parting goal but ended up being bored by it all.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

What is a shame about yesterday was the stadium emptied before the fans could give the players, who don't forget have given us a fantastic 5 years of memories, a really good send off. You could say it's the end of an era really. Shame it ended on such a flat and unpositive note.
I understand why there is frustration, but again it shouldn't have ended that way imo.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
After halftime we seemed to briefly go to 442, and for the first time it looked good, and we scored!
Then we seemed to immediately drop Jonny back into a 3 and things fizzled out.
I guess it was supposed to be some hybrid system where we switched between the two systems. Pity we didn’t just continue with the more attacking approach.

I think Bruno does have an inclination to over complicate things.
Keep thinking about this, same as last 15 at Chelsea and the Man City game. Defend with 532,attack with 433. The slight flaw in the plan is that when you get caught in the transition the opposition hit the ball the the left wing, where there is a huge space as Chiquinho hasn't got back and Jonny has gone inside.

Back
Top Bottom