Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Verdict Season: 21/22.

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sad! Arguably more so even than this time last year as Nuno departed because this feels more like the end of the project with so many imminent departures - most notably of course the magnificent Neves. Also I am left feeling very uncertain as to whether Bruno is really up to it and more concerningly even than that whether Fosun are still interested!
I think we all need to see some real dynamism from the club over the next few weeks as all the uncertainty is hard to take.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Incredibly boring football. Too safe, too deep, too negative. It feels like Raul has only had ten chances to score over the entire season.

Also I'm worried about our £35M investment who seems farther away from being a premier league footballer than he did a year ago, this in spite of us having a manager who is supposed to be great with younger players.

Ginger Wolf

Reaction score
Although it's been disappointing the way the season has fizzled out for us, in years to come my son and I will remember it for some amazing away days, mainly Southampton, Villa, Man Utd, and Spurs.
It is those moments that we will remember and always be grateful to this squad for giving us.
However, right now it feels like the end of an era and I am worried that Sellars and Shi will not get it right over the summer, but I hope I am proven wrong.

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weird season, first 3 games were some of the best football I have witnessed for some time but with no end results, alarming how little we have improved by putting the ball in the net but the defensive stats were great until the last dozen games when we let goals in for fun. Lots of players who just didnt look fit like Raul, Neto, Podence, Boly and RAN. Moutinho and Neves were superb mid season but once again the depth in midfield cost us. Losing kilman and podence at a key point killed us too. Looks like we are stuck with hwang but he would be on his bike alongside trincao for me, we need goals in this team next season we want to be entertained!!!

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the end, the season as been fairly poor on entertaining with the lack of goals and disasterous run at the end of the season.

No one at the club wanted that and they will have tried to do what was best. They will get pelters for "not investing" and "giving Adama" away, when in reality we will never know the full facts - or how the decisions made in the winter window will impact the summer window.

Maybe they know something we don't (like player availability or clubs wanting deals in the summer).

Jeff will player the long game to get a better deal that's for sure.

I have real doubts about the manager. I never call for a manager to be sacked, but if there is anyone decent out there I think I would make the switch.

I don't get hung up about the recruitment team and Sellars because they have more than enough information on every player in the world, the only two things they need is adequate finance and a bit of luck the player can settle.

I still think Hwang may come good (or at least better) but you are always going to need squad players so let's see how he settles next season.

It's going to be a long summer. I have renewed my season ticket for next season, just as I did when we were in the 4th division.

I do hope they up the entertainment value next season, but I am expecting a relegation scrap because I just can't see how they can transform the squad so dramatically in one window.

beppe7619

Reaction score
Bad parts this season no backing for Bruno Lage not replacing MGW letting Adama go in January. Buying players who should be in the under 23s and trouble scoring goals. Plus points our defence and podence. Also a shout out for Sa

Howler

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Verdict:

Fosun gave up in January

The players gave up in February

Yep, the moment we were safe FOSUN said thankyou very much and it filtered down to the players a few weeks later.

Been on the beach for months, the only goal of the club is to stay in the premier league spending as little as possible, it's quite boring but we're pretty efficient at it.....so far.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boring football but a decent league position.

Writing on the wall the last 19 games or so though. Big changes needed in the Summer.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we all need to see some real dynamism from the club over the next few weeks as all the uncertainty is hard to take.
Get ready to be disappointed. We haven't done dynamism since before the pandemic. We are owned by an investment company that is completely constrained from investing in this particular asset by the dictats of the Chinese Communist Party. We are now in rearranging deckchairs on the sinking ship territory I'm afraid.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Player of the season - Jose Sa
Most improved - Kilman
Worst player(s) - Hwang, perhaps Saiss or Raul, but this list could be long.
Game of the season - Villa away (3-2)
Worst game - the majority, Brighton home takes some beating as does Palace away.
Manager - Had some promise but soon faded
Overall out of 10 - 3

Summary - A promising season quickly petered out after the excellent Sa finally had a dip in form, for the most part this season was an exercise in frustration, boring football, predictable passages of play and huge missed opportunity. Glad its over, glad we stay up, but my word, huge changes are needed and they need to start now, starting with Lage going.

kentish wolf

Reaction score
Boring,boring, boring!!
The last 10 or so games have been .dull and flat.

Yes we have finished 10th but we will struggle next season if we don't start scoring goals.
I think that boring Bruno will begin as coach next campaign but I wouldn't put any money on him being in the job come Xmas .

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno's 1st season was one of success in my book.. Top 10 in Premier League and beating little Aston Villa Home & Away :)

Could possibly do much better next season if backed by Fosun Jeff Shi and the board.

Always look on the bright side of life :)

Wandering_Wolf93

Reaction score
Better than expected yet still left thinking what might have been.

Intrigued to see what the squad will look like come the first game of the season and when the window closes. Bruno needs to be backed to get players in that he feels can play the way he wants to play.

the 15th Wanderer

Reaction score
Boly is looking better every week a proper pre season will help. Johnny too. Sais went right off the boil towards the end. Missed Semedo and Kilman massively in the run in. Still need a center half and at least one midfielder assuming Gibs White returns plus a different option up front. If they do that and keep em all fit I am hopeful for next season.
Overall 6/10 had a lot less luck with Injuries than previous years which our squad can ill afford.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What’s your overall verdict on this season?
We finish in a worse state than we started.
Neves about to leave, Neto worryingly still injured, and Fabio has yet to show he is worth the investment.

We lack ideas, we can't score, and Lage has lost the dressing room.

We need a new manager, and 3 or 4 quality signings, not utter garbage like Hwang.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
POTS - Sa
Most improved - Semedo / Kilman

Bruno: 6/10

Got the team playing with confidence at the start of the season and we were extremely unlucky to start with 3 losses in a row.

Dealt such a ****ty hand by the recruitment team, everybody and their nan could see we were crying out for new blood during Nunos last season, and we ended up going into the season in a weaker position. To somehow come away with 10th in hindsight almost seems miraculous.

That said.... Results seriously masked performances, and while we were genuinely within touching distance of Europe, we weren't performing like it. Team ran out of steam half way through the season, age, fatigue, and injuries all caught up with us and it sort of fell apart.

There are questions on here about his in game management, for me he gets a pass. We have zero game changers throughout the squad. Nobody to bring on to shore up midfield if we're under the cosh, no real pace to bring on to stretch an opponent.

The fact we struggle to beat Norwich isn't a surprise - it's symptomatic of our lethargic squad, we struggled against these types of players under Nuno, the squad just doesn't have the dynamic to play on the front foot, and it won't unless there's a drastic, much needed overhaul.

Some of our players have seriously improved under his tutorship, Kilman, Semedo, RAN, Neves and Moutinho playing at their best for a good portion of the season

Negative points:

Use of youngsters throughout the season:

Silva in particular was looking a real threat during the back end of the season, to see him overlooked for Hwang in what were essentially dead rubbers was extremely disappointing.

Persisting with the 3/5 at the back in the dead rubbers.

Sellars: 1/10

Abysmal recruitment.
Baffling decision to embark on a season playing a heavy press with three midfielders.

Baffling decision to not attempt to sign a first team centre back in the summer when it was obvious that Boly / Saiss were shot last season.

Massive talk about being wise and not bankrupting the club, but managed to somehow weaken the squad, unnecessarily execute the option on Hwang, and see us tumble down the league costing us many millions.

Absolutely pathetic and should be nowhere near the director of football position at this club. He has zero experience of the role elsewhere. If WBA had appointed an unknown academy coach as their DoF we'd be absolutely rinsing them.

Fosun: 1/10

Why sack a manager and talk about a new cycle if you're not going to back the new manager?

Ridiculous decision to pull the rug and go self sufficient when we've reached the end of a cycle and in need of a big rebuild.
Everything about the messaging currently screams a massive lack of ambition.

Unfortunately, in the most competitive league in the world, if you stand still you fall backwards fast.

Massive summer coming up. Don't let us down.

Wolfiebill

Groupie
Reaction score
I agree with virtually all that has been written "above". I think there are a lot of very valid points. At the start of this season there was a thread where you cou could predict our final position. I can't remember what I put, but I guess anyone with a predictive finish lower that 10th SHOULD be happy. However I the thing I find to be the major dissapointment is the manner of our finishing (in every sense) in the last few games.

My biggest concern is that with Fosun's recent investment decisions and the fact that we are losing Neves, we are only going one way and that's not into Europe.

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The season felt stale. It's was a methodical yet ponderous season from most of the players and my god it was hard to watch at times. If you're a neutral watching us you're switching the TV off.

Some crazy player selections, some crazy play when playing out from the back, we just love to play ourselves into trouble.

Lage seems out of his depth, extremely limited in a lot of what we need in a manager / head coach.

FOSUN have what seems to be zero ambition which is crazy because over the last 15 games we've looked like a bottom 6 team. If we flirt with the bottom 3 next season what happens to their income?

Whatever weapon thinks Hwang is worthy of a shirt is stealing a living.

De Wolfs Mullet

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So....

In spite of last summers failed squad strengthening and ridiculous ticket price rises, it promised to deliver so much, before another botched January transfer window.

After all this, we have the excitement of Neves probably leaving and the only other things to look forward to are a squad rebuild, new shirt and sponsor, an already botched american tour, and more ticket price rises.

Not feeling overly optimistic tonight that we'll do a good job with any of these. Prove us wrong Jeff and Scott...

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What could have been.

Sounds ridiculous but those first three games (four including the Forest one) were so enjoyable that despite results, I was almost convinced we were moving onto the phase of the project.

Unfortunately it proved to be a bit of a false dawn and despite a couple of excellent runs of results, performances were generally pretty average up until January.

Having put ourselves in an incredible position by the end of the January window, it was really disappointing to actually weaken the squad and gamble that we wouldn’t have injuries.

The last three months have been pretty horrible all round. Terrible results and even worse performances (and underlying metrics) from a relatively kind set of fixtures have left a genuine fear over next season.

Highlights: The Villa comeback (where we didn’t actually play very well), United and Spurs away (where we did).

Lowlights: The last 10 games, the lack of real backing for the Manager in both windows and the impending loss of Neves (and others).

Seems really weird to feel disappointed and worried having just had the third best finish in my lifetime. But that’s where I am right now.

Good summary Tring.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
6/10

Very happy to finish top 10. Didn’t think that we would, and was very worried about Lage’s appointment.

Bored out of my mind though in the most recent matches. Not saying I want to return to needing last day wins to ensure survival, but having a few shots (meaningful ones) on target each game would be nice.

Big rebuild required, 4-5 first team ready players needed.

Not optimistic about next season as things stand.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
League position 7/10.
Entertainment 2/10.
Recruitment 3/10.
Prospects 4/10.
Head coach 5/10.
Players 6/10.
JS & SS 2/10.

Overall 4/10.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Trying to be objective, we got 28 points in the first 19 games and 23 points in the last 19. So not a massive difference really. So what's that say 20% less? But it felt like the second half was much, much worse? And u can only out that down to the poor entertainment value; we're just awful to watch.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn’t enjoy this season like I did two seasons ago. There was a lot of trepidation for most games. No sense of looking forward to any the upcoming games because I felt anybody could beat us.
First and second season back up there was a spring in my step as the weekend neared and although I knew Wolves wouldn’t win the league, I knew that, on our day, we could beat anybody
It was FUN and some of our goals were glorious……real PL quality gems.

But this season was terrible .
And if we fans feel like this, imagine how the players felt? Must have been a crummy season for them as well.

ok….2021/22, all done and dusted. We move on.

Last edited:

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weird thing, the most optimism we had for the future was when we were at our lowest position in the table. The seismic change in mentality that followed the Brentford game put paid to that bright (from a footballing perspective) start and our early season results outweighed the performances. The horrible thing is, you knew the results couldn't last the way we were playing, when we played Man U we were getting two points for every goal we'd scored, that's completely unsustainable and we absolutely had to start to attack more or the results would inevitably dry up and boy did they dry up. The football actually got worse. Our form since the end of January is hugely worrying, and the underlying stats are even worse - they're even worse than last season!

If I were to rate the season I'd have to give two marks, one for league position and one for how we'd played. League position gets a 7/10, how we've played gets a 3/10

Big changes incoming and needed, and we should start with the head coach

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An improvement on last season, but only just.

For all the talk of Bruno being an attacking manager when he was appointed, we quickly abandoned that, and while we managed to make the most of our very strong defensive base for a while, we've now even lost that, and I feel that I have less idea what our idea/identity is now than when Bruno came in!
Re your first sentence l wonder to what extent that improvement is the lift from having fans in.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno's 1st season was one of success in my book.. Top 10 in Premier League and beating little Aston Villa Home & Away :)

Could possibly do much better next season if backed by Fosun Jeff Shi and the board.

Always look on the bright side of life :)
To be that positive l would need to be on a promise with the whole Playboy calendar. As it is l found watching paint dry more exciting than watching Lage's Wolves at Molineux.

Rufio

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Another year in the PL secured for 5 in a row. Beaten Man U and Spurs away..finished in the top 10 for the 3rd year out of 4. I can probably think of 100 teams that would swap places with us happily.

Could it be better, yes. Could it be worse, absolutely.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably one of the most disappointing seasons ever. Not for what we achieved as 10th was higher than most anticipated, but how it panned-out. Started with some exciting football even with no points gained and most felt a tide had been turned after Nuno's turgid play of last season. Unfortunately those first three matches were the highlights as a more circumspect style was introduced. This worked and points were picked-up, but boy were we boring!! A great comeback against Villa shouldn't mask how poor we played in most games, albeit sneaking points.
A good position at Christmas and manager of the month for Bruno promised a real shot at Europe, but an absolutely awful last 4 months has turned me away from watching. Horrible football, reminiscent of Nuno's last season with defeat after defeat deflating the suggestion of catching West Ham and Utd and leading to us looking over our shoulders as to who will catch us. Inevitably, picking-up no points led to us being overhauled by Leicester and Brighton. We got what we deserved, especially following the home display against Brighton in particular; they were light years better than us and showed soooo much more commitment against our quitters.
A huge summer coming up, which will give us an insight about what the future holds. Fosun's commitment, Bruno's future, which players (Neves) will be leaving and which (if any) will be coming in. All this will be more interesting that the tripe Wolves served-up on the pitch for large parts of the 21/22 season.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Positives:

another season where we’ve been nowhere near relegation and have spent most of the season looking up at the European places. I’d say that’s a good place to be.

Sa is a fantastic keeper. Huge upgrade on Patricio which would have been crazy to say last summer.

Kilman has progressed into a top quality centre half.

Some great results/performances (Villa away, Man Utd away, Spurs away) which we’ll remember long after this season.

Negatives;

Blew a huge opportunity to kick on in January and really have a go at the top 6. You could see Bruno and the players were desperate for backing and support and it never came. The apathy set in quickly and we just trudged through the last few months.

Terrible home form. We’ve been far too easy to play against at Molineux. The fact that 3 of the bottom 4 came away from our place with points is shocking.

Overall it’s probably been a pretty average season. Not saying that’s a bad thing at all, if we finished top half for the next 2-3 years running we couldn’t moan, as long as there were signs of progress and progression.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will not be in the bottom six six next season unless we starting playing in blue and white stripes
If we recruit the necessary players from the same market stall we bought Cutrone, Trincao and Hwang from sixth from bottom will be the height of our ambitions. In the last third of the season we’ve been in relegation form and we will be losing Neves and probably a couple of others, and it’s unlikely Sa’s stats will be so exceptional. Recruitment over the summer will determine whether we’re looking up or down the league table. Given performances have deteriorated rapidly under Lage I’d be starting with recruiting a new manager.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the end result given the fact that this is the team that Nuno built cause our owners hasn´t backed our current manager one iota is more than good.
Before start of the season,I would have snapped anyone´s hand for a tenth place finish.Yes,the fact we continue to play the game like we played it under Nunos last season isn´t good on the eye..but given the fact we must sell before we can buy..nothing else can be expected.
I know Bruno get´s a lot of lip these days but for me he has certainly earned the chance of managing us another season.
With some of our higher profile players leaving,we will sell.I´d give Lage the chance to buy and give him the first real opportunity to start shape the team after his own head.

I do continue to be against the way we go about in FA and League Cup though.
We continue to shot ourselves in the foot regarding those tourneys..and they continue to be our only chances(remotely)to win something.
Trying to win something must count for something.We will never win the league title.
We should try our very best in the cups.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trying to be objective, we got 28 points in the first 19 games and 23 points in the last 19. So not a massive difference really. So what's that say 20% less? But it felt like the second half was much, much worse? And u can only out that down to the poor entertainment value; we're just awful to watch.
Yeah , but it was 28 from 16 having lost the first 3 games whilst playing open attractive football, in the main. Losing 1-0 in each of those games caused Lage to change. He won manager of the Month in January, was put back in his box with regards to signings and then , as another poster says above , everything fell off a cliff after February. Our squad under Nuno and our squad under Lage lacks any sort of real depth. We play three at the back to accomodate Coady when we are busting for a bit more midfield creativity. We cant finish our dinner , lets be honest , most games. 16 blanks this season wasnt it? We were shoddy against the Villa bar 10 minutes when we scored three goals to complete a turnaround. Spurs handed us literally 3 points at their place and we absolutely played Man U at the right time at their place. They were awful ( and still are yet qualify for europe). Norwich x3 including the cup , Burnley , Brighton (h) Brentford (h) Leeds (H-thanks Kevin Friend) Palace x2 we were varying degrees of awful frpom disorganised chaos to powderpuff . Our attack threatens very few sides. We looked ok against Liverpool because they played such a high line , which they can because youre not stopping the scoring. Other teams that press yet play a lower line, we cant get in behind. The chances we create are often half chances and even then we cant finish. Fabio isnt a natural predator/finisher , Raul is still off in comparison to pre injury ,Trincao is lightweight, Podence is full of tricks and flicks but hits the deck far too often and easily and Chiqinho is young and raw. I also do not think the answer is Gibbs-White unless we change formation to 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1 and in both cases we still need to improve the quality of our players to suit that system.
A number of players are likely to leave. That may not be a bad thing as the squad really does need freshening up. I never dreamt we would keep Neves 5 years so I cannot blame him if he goes. He deserves to be part of a team challenging for Honours. If he goes to Barcelona please dont include Trincao as a make weight in the deal! 4 out and 4 in please including more midfield and attacking options. Its time for Fosun to see the folly of the last three windows. We are not in the position to spunk 35m on potential. Lets get some oven ready talent in please!

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lucky for us we signed an absolutely top draw keeper, otherwise I'm not sure where we'd be right now...

tipton81

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Started promising, created loads of chances, but couldn’t finish.

Why we didn’t bring another striker was baffling.

The Adama deal seems to be the worst thing since Keane to Coventry.

The Leeds loss at home was a turning point, we gave up after that

Last two months just meh, Chelsea away was nice I guess.

Lage out for me.

I live in Fife now so 750 miles or so to get to a game

This season:

4 games

0 wins
1 draw
3 losses

1 goal for
6 goals against

Relegation form, but positively I got to take my nephews to games for the first time this year and that was great, especially as one is a Liverpool glory hunter and I think the conversion is on.

Back
Top Bottom