Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Verdict Season: 21/22.

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
What’s your overall verdict on this season?

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For specific moments, almost instantly forgettable, particularly at Molineux.

Yet still a season we'll look back on and wonder what could have been had we just invested slightly in January.

I personally don't see an opportunity coming around like this for a long time, especially given Newcastle's inevitable rise and Man Utd almost certainly never being as poor.

From an entertaining perspective? Horrendous.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plenty of games we got more than performances deserved, after the first three none where we got less. Trajectory is steeply downwards and the fact he’s cheap is no reason to retain Lage. Get rid or next season will see us in the bottom six.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Overall a feeling of a missed opportunity to play European football again. I realise we’re not a massive club with no divine right to be challenging the top 6 and I accept that. I also accept that if Fosun’s aim is to maintain us as a mid table Premier team then so be it but please can we attain that by playing entertaining football?

GY Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An improvement on last season, but only just.

For all the talk of Bruno being an attacking manager when he was appointed, we quickly abandoned that, and while we managed to make the most of our very strong defensive base for a while, we've now even lost that, and I feel that I have less idea what our idea/identity is now than when Bruno came in!

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
5/10, could do so much better, lacks attention in class, shows all the signs of promise (like United and spurs away), but ultimately poor standard pieces of work (Burnley/Newcastle/Norwich) blot the copybook.

The head prefect seems to believe they’re heading in the right direction, the other pupils in attendance are sceptical. Maybe buying them some additional tools will help, certainly loaning an item of theirs to a pupil from another school was bewildering, even more so when the pupil didn’t use it!

Must try harder, concentrate more on being forward thinking, or I can see the need for a new prefect before Xmas

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great start. Bruno was incredibly promising.

Decision to loan traore and sign hwang was simply disgraceful

Our season plummeted thereafter and we are lucky to finish as high as we have .

Incredibly Dissapointing the club have no bottle to support a change to a back 4 and even more Dissapointing Bruno thinks hwang deserves to play and that he hasn’t once tried a back 4 from the start

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In summary, it’s been a total waste of a season imo. We’ve finished slightly higher in the table because of Jose Sa’s unbelievable early season form and having a capable centre forward again in Raul.

Last summer should’ve been the time for a bit of succession planning to start the transition of the team but we did basically nothing and the players we did sign have been failures.

We’re now in pretty much the same position we were last summer, but we’re forced into transfer action due to losing so many players.

It can go one of two ways from here, fingers crossed we don’t look back on this season as where it all started to unravel.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I just feel flat how the season has ended and I am sure others feel the same.
As things stand I am not positive about next season .The club now has 2 choices-spend and buy first team ready players or carry on with the current philosophy of buy cheap and expect bargains and we all know where that will take us .
We want decisive action because we have gone flat and stale .

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plenty of games we got more than performances deserved, after the first three none where we got less. Trajectory is steeply downwards and the fact he’s cheap is no reason to retain Lage. Get rid or next season will see us in the bottom six.
We will not be in the bottom six six next season unless we starting playing in blue and white stripes

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
What could have been.

Sounds ridiculous but those first three games (four including the Forest one) were so enjoyable that despite results, I was almost convinced we were moving onto the phase of the project.

Unfortunately it proved to be a bit of a false dawn and despite a couple of excellent runs of results, performances were generally pretty average up until January.

Having put ourselves in an incredible position by the end of the January window, it was really disappointing to actually weaken the squad and gamble that we wouldn’t have injuries.

The last three months have been pretty horrible all round. Terrible results and even worse performances (and underlying metrics) from a relatively kind set of fixtures have left a genuine fear over next season.

Highlights: The Villa comeback (where we didn’t actually play very well), United and Spurs away (where we did).

Lowlights: The last 10 games, the lack of real backing for the Manager in both windows and the impending loss of Neves (and others).

Seems really weird to feel disappointed and worried having just had the third best finish in my lifetime. But that’s where I am right now.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just feel flat how the season has ended and I am sure others feel the same.
As things stand I am not positive about next season .The club now has 2 choices-spend and buy first team ready players or carry on with the current philosophy of buy cheap and expect bargains and we all know where that will take us .
We want decisive action because we have gone flat and stale .
For sure the season ended badly but we still finished in the top half but we could/should have and definitely had the opportunity to finish 6th
I said in December/January we will know exactly Fosuns ambition by the end of Aug
Fingers crossed

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What’s your overall verdict on this season?
****. Pretty much every way you look at it. Blew a top 6th spot so we will lose Neves. Jimenez shot. Silva ? No mf. Even the defence, so good for so long, blew it. A season of what might have been. I think 10th is perhaps better than we deserved. Please God give us some attacking inspiration next season.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Finished where we deserved.

Not enough goals of attacking threat. Quality keeper and solid defence (when Kilman and Semedo were fit plus Saiss).

Sa was a great signing.

End of an era.

The king is dead long live the king. Going to be an interesting Summer and refresh will be burnt out by August.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
League position was about par at the start of the season but the way the season has petered out so poorly is massively worrying and disappointing.

The January window was an unmitigated disaster (Chiquinho aside) as a whole and completely killed our season.

Personally I feel the Hwang permanent signing in January and the Adama loan need looking in to because they really stink.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've had a bit to drink which I don't often do so it's a bad time to post probably and maybe this will make no sense. But it can't be worse than the fact I've just texted someone I shouldn't have texted and thatll come back to haunt me tomorrow so **** it I may as well talk *******s here too

I have been at the end of **** seasons so many times usually in division two and I keep reminding myself that this is better because this is what all those years were about trying to get into the league. And we've finished in the top half and it has to mean something otherwise what's the point anyway. Losing to Arsenal and Liverpool is **** but it's better than losing to Reading and ****ing Hull and whoever but the last couple of years has just been such a slog at times. I'm so disappointed it didn't work this year, I really thought we would be further along than this by now. Not league position because that's been excellent really, not just this year but since we came up. I just wanted us to play better and score more goals, just have something about us. I really miss that feeling of two years ago when other teams fans thought ****, it's Wolves, that's going to be hard, but outside of the winter we haven't had that, we've been a soft touch since January just like we were last year.

I don't like looking at players like Coady and thinking we have to get better, because I was proud he was leading us when we were really buzzing. And Raul, there were a couple of flashes early on today and I was thinking, yes, I remember you, go on son. But it's all sentiment, and we're at the point where so many things need to change, and it's unsettling.

We had a really good late autumn and winter, we were higher than maybe we deserved but it was a good feeling, but since Jan it's felt like the end of an era that should have happened last summer in truth. Bottom line, I haven't enjoyed watching us, consistently and genuinely enjoyed it, since the days of Jota and Raul, and I was watching Hwang today and thinking Christ, we should be further along than this. Two years ago we were giving Liverpool and Man City lumps when we played them, let alone Brighton and Newcastle, but we're a shadow of that right now.

10th is great, but it flatters us, and we're no better than 12 months ago. It's frustrating. I know it should feel better, we're a hell of a lot better off than we used to be, but it feels like we've wasted the hard work of two years ago and the heights we reached, and the last couple of months have been like watching a bottom four team. Could really use an injection of quality this summer, a jumpstart.

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Disappointed with the way performances and results capsized since January and alarmed that Bruno couldn’t chisel out some more pragmatic performances after recent injuries to gain a few more points. That plus the public calling out of a young lad has dented my confidence in what he might deliver. The whole atmosphere around the club seems to have deteriorated badly. When you reflect on the very positive enthusiasm both Coady and Neves were delivering in interviews early in the New Year the balloon has been punctured very badly. Who knows what our plan is at Board level or whether Bruno can deliver. It really needs a programme of early and very positive action, whatever that might be…UTW

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think fans have become entitled and over expectant
I said at the start of the season 10th would be a good season and it is

Yes its tailed off badly and yes we could have snatched 7th,but is top half of the Prem so bad?
We have a stale team that needs refreshing,we knew that mostly around Xmas
Some unexpectedly good results over that period gave us a false sense of security and yes we failed to invest

Hopefully Fosun will see this and invest strongly in the summer,its needed badly

If someone asked me right now would i settle for 10th next season i would snatch their hand off
Ofc we would all like better football,but you only get that with better quality players and a well drilled system,and that takes time

I believe we have enough decent players to form a basis for that, but need 4/5 more to have a squad we can push on with
Lets hope we get it right this summer and look forward to another Wolves roller coaster ride in the Prem

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa was a bargain. After that our transfer business has been largely woeful for three windows. Lage spends too much time waving his arms theatrically as though the players do what he wants in training and do what they like in game. Thanks Ruben and good luck. It’s been a privilege. I won’t be that sorry if I don’t see four or five of our first team in the line up next season. We absolutely need to have a real shake up or we start 2023/4 season in the championship. Not convinced that Lage deserves the backing but he will probably get it as he is cheap and says yes to Jeff! I would take 15th now next season in a heartbeat.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On paper, if you told us we'd have been 10th start of the season, I think we would have gladly taken it.

However, this by itself is misleading. For the second half of the season we've had one of the worst forms in the league and relegation form at that, we struggle to score goals, we have no real identity as a team, and Lage has shown baffling management, and made comments on performances that sound divorced from reality.

Loaning out Traore was a disaster of a decision, whoever's fault that was, as was whoever made the idiot decision to push the button and buy Hwang. A massive amount of money wasted, to say nothing of what lack of investment has cost in terms of lost places, no Europe, etc.

For half this season now, Wolves have been horrible to watch bar a couple of good patches. There were some good moments, but they feel very few and far between.

Sadly it looks like my prediction will come true: lack of investment when it could have made a difference has meant we've regressed, and will see the rest of our gems picked off. If we ever see Ruben in old gold again I'll be amazed.

A lot of deadwood to clear out the squad, and investment is needed if we want to push on. Without this then we'll end up sliding down the table - and if you think that won't happen to Wolves, look at all the teams it has happened to.

To me this season will be remembered as the one of missed opportunities. We had so many games were we didn't turn up, or threw it away. That's probably the biggest disappointment.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Goodish league position but we can all see there are problems at the club. The summer will either be the refresh we need or truly the end of the dream rather earlier than any of us expected.

Bruno looked like he had lost the players and numerous times we saw his limitations. I don't buy this nonsense about it not being his team. It was a decent if unbalanced squad and few managers get the time to really rebuild. This is what happened in his previous job too. He's not a bad manager hence our league position, but in both matches and long term decisions he seems to get stuck. After a year we don't have any sign of what bruno wants to play, and he persisted in weird decisions and tactics which cost us points.

I expect he's on his way but it won't be with boos. Thanks but no thanks. The bigger questions are at board level. I've generally defended shi and sellars, or at least not got on their back, but multiple transfer windows without signing players in key positions left the squad stale, then the adama fiasco (if he doesn't get bought) and signing huang unnecessarily. He hadn't looked great when he had been playing, despite some goals, and we'd looked much better without him.

Crazy thing is I'd rather have finishing lower and played like the first three games of the season. Watching wolves this year was incredibly dull. I didn't even attend some recent games - stayed with the family as recent illness has made wolves a lower priority, especially when you lose a day and pay a fortune travelling. Entertainment is important and if you're not entertaining then you better win. We stopped winning. We couldn't even work keepers.

21/22 was boring, that's the worst thing. We're awful to watch and it's been soul destroying watching players like huang and trincao regularly picked despite constant terrible performances.

Back
Top Bottom