Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

VAR 2023-24

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Longer transcript of Webb s remarks in the e&s.

Just covering his ****, while maintaining the methods which allow for bias. Disgusting.

the 15th Wanderer

Reaction score
Utterly frustrating to listen to. The big issue that VAR missed was that Schar was going to ground before there was any contact. At least they admitted it shouldn’t have been a penalty, but Webb does talk some twaddle.
Exactly. If he had been booked for diving it would be hard to defend him no matter how many angles or how slowly you watt he'd it.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Morning Way GIF

DJMolineux

Groupie
Reaction score
Literally not allowed to do this under IFAB rules though, so you'd have to take it up with them, not the PL or PGMOL.

3. The original decision given by the referee will not be changed unless the video review clearly shows that the decision was a ‘clear and obvious error’.
Completely accept your point, but after all the issues caused by VAR I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest the rules should change as part of a root and branch assessment of whether VAR is meeting its objectives

Spitfire

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Only just watched mic’d up.
Checking that Chelsea offside just confirms to me these lines are nonsense. The frame they chose to show when the ball was kicked showed the ball to be about 3 balls wide yet they’re ruling goals offside by millimetres. Madness.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am sure, with apologies for the source, that this will do wonders for the Mix's collective blood pressure....

JJ59

Reaction score

Spitfire

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am sure, with apologies for the source, that this will do wonders for the Mix's collective blood pressure....

Bloody hell, it’s like something off the set of Billions. What a waste of money.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not saying ex-players is definitely the way to go but ex-players would immediately spot that Schar is trying to buy the penalty and be more focused on that than was there/wasn't there minimal contact to back up the ref. He'd just be "I'm telling you, that's a dive"

I've decided... ;) two officials and two ex-pros on VAR, every decision gets 30s to be made and vote goes to the majority, in the case of a tie it stays with the on-field decision

Yes it's ****, but it's better than what we currently have. Could even have the Countdown clock and music running while they made the decision!
Anyone who watches football knows when a referee is being conned. It's not rocket science, unless of course you are a referee or VAR official.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why don’t they just admit defeat and scrap the abomination, or maybe put the ATC actually in charge :tearsofjoy:.

Air Training Corps would do better.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Funny, but I did start wondering recently how much money was in VAR. Not even half serious. But now, perhaps there's more to that idea? It must cost tens of millions to implement for tournaments and so on. And that "cost" is going somewhere.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone who watches football knows when a referee is being conned. It's not rocket science, unless of course you are a referee or VAR official.

I'd estimate that at least 20% of the fouls given in the Premier League are the officials being conned. It's become the foundation of the game at the top level. Nearly all the top players dive to an extent and "initiate contact" as the pundits call it. At it's worst, it's as if games have become about which players dive the most convincingly. Getting rid of it would be such a huge problem, I wonder if theyd rather pretend it's not happening? Hence all the "he was entitled to go down" after some player does a triple axel accompanied by 90db scream and then rolls on the ground holding his head after his calf got lightly brushed.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd estimate that at least 20% of the fouls given in the Premier League are the officials being conned. It's become the foundation of the game at the top level. Nearly all the top players dive to an extent and "initiate contact" as the pundits call it. At it's worst, it's as if games have become about which players dive the most convincingly. Getting rid of it would be such a huge problem, I wonder if theyd rather pretend it's not happening? Hence all the "he was entitled to go down" after some player does a triple axel accompanied by 90db scream and then rolls on the ground holding his head after his calf got lightly brushed.
I think you’re right. It's been put in the 'too difficult' tray.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I find this incredibly concerning. It shows a refusal to accept that the system and people running it is the problem and at the same time actually massages their egos about how hard their job is.
Let's get this in perspective. They are not dealing with 100s or 1000s of aircraft with 1000s of people on board. They are dealing with one football game with live video feed and effectively a 'time machine' as can rewind etc.

But now they appear have delusions of some bizarre fantasy top gun. Are the var cretins going to be wearing aviators and flight jackets next.

Mr Webb - Morinic gimmicks arent the solution to the problem, when the problem is you and your cronies.

What a bunch of c**** (the bad swear word)

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Players cheating certainly doesn’t help the referee, but surely that is where VAR should be helping them. Instead they are scared about dropping their mates in it. In cricket, decisions get overturned, but nobody says the umpire was terrible, it is just accepted he made a mistake in a split second decision.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Players cheating certainly doesn’t help the referee, but surely that is where VAR should be helping them. Instead they are scared about dropping their mates in it. In cricket, decisions get overturned, but nobody says the umpire was terrible, it is just accepted he made a mistake in a split second decision.
Which probably makes the argument for independent VAR officials (ex-pros) even stronger. VAR is a complete and utter mess in the Premier League and no one solution would fix everything, but getting rid of the idea of mates helping mates would go a long way.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which probably makes the argument for independent VAR officials (ex-pros) even stronger. VAR is a complete and utter mess in the Premier League and no one solution would fix everything, but getting rid of the idea of mates helping mates would go a long way.

Absolutely. You don’t hear those in an equivalent position in rugby and cricket calling the official, ‘Mate’ or ‘Pal.’

I hoped Webb would sort this mess out, but he hasn’t. In fact, it has got worse since he took over. It is just a shambles.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Absolutely. You don’t hear those in an equivalent position in rugby and cricket calling the official, ‘Mate’ or ‘Pal.’

I hoped Webb would sort this mess out, but he hasn’t. In fact, it has got worse since he took over. It is just a shambles.
Agree totally about Webb. I was sat watching that programme he does the other week and I kept thinking, what a massive ego this guy has. Even when they showed the penalty against us that was blatantly wrong, there was no humbleness or honesty, just waffle and excuses.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The game coped for 150 years without VAR. The single main reason the need for it grew from increased players cheating. Decreasing sportsmanship etc.

TheConcourse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That would be the end of live games for me. Every moment leads to a moment, so the concept of trying to eliminate errors across the board makes sense in theory.

But just like artificial intelligence for creative, you can get ****ed. I’m not travelling 250 miles to watch some **** on a TV decide the game for half an hour.

Surely someone somewhere is asking what we’re actually trying to create here?!

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
We can debate the rights and wrongs of VAR for as long as we want, but it wont get scrapped. TV companies wanted VAR as it gives the pundits plenty to talk about. TV effectively ”own” football and will not allow VAR to be taken away.Our only hope is that they improve the the process around VAR, but I haven’t a lot of faith in the people who run football sorting anything out.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can debate the rights and wrongs of VAR for as long as we want, but it wont get scrapped. TV companies wanted VAR as it gives the pundits plenty to talk about. TV effectively ”own” football and will not allow VAR to be taken away.Our only hope is that they improve the the process around VAR, but I haven’t a lot of faith in the people who run football sorting anything out.
VAR decisions can get managers sacked and cost clubs £millions.
Those that make the **** up's get a sabbatical in the Championship.

Reactions: Ned

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve had enough.

Mass protest now.

Chelsea game on NYE, let’s completely disrupt the game. Get tennis balls on the pitch or something

Reactions: Ned

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need an agreement with South American leagues to be able to send our officials there for a season or two in a lower league.They will soon stop making crappy calls, or else won't come home.

Back
Top Bottom