Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

University help spread Wolves word in Mumbai

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Went there several years ago to watch England play Test cricket.

Didn't see any Wolves tops back then but something to look out for should I ever return.

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am conflicted about all this getting the wolves 'brand' out there.

I would love for us to be competing to win domestic and European trophies and understand that we need to increase revenue streams to enable growth and possible future success, however, i also don't want us to become one of those clubs with plastic fans all over the world.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I would love for us to be competing to win domestic and European trophies and understand that we need to increase revenue streams to enable growth and possible future success, however, i also don't want us to become one of those clubs with plastic fans all over the world.
You dont get to the top without the "plastic" fans.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What is the specific issue(s) you have with having "plastic fans" all over the world? Genuine question, not stirring for an argument. Its not one I share, so curious to get someone else's perspective on it

FWIW, many of the foreign based fans I've met are some of the most passionate I've ever met, go to way more effort to attend games than I ever would and spend way more money doing it than I would (both at the club and in the local economy). Many of the markets we're attempting to reach out to are also the markets who are currently less likely to attend games in person so if you're worried about them making it harder for you to watch a game that is unlikely.

Most overseas fans attending games (according to the UK Tourist board) are from Ireland & Scandinavia and we already have plenty of dedicated fans in those areas, so any growth from there will be from on field success rather than being sought by marketing partnerships in new areas - if we're successful on the pitch, I'll take it.

T

TheConcourse

OnePack*

*Until Dave in Dudley decides that someone kitted out in old gold and black hasn’t been near Molineux so isn’t a true fan.

The super fan/plastic fan argument is THE MOST ridiculous in football.

When a community forms around a product or brand it’s because you all have one shared interest - to see it’s success. I couldn’t care if you’re half a minute from the ground or in Bangkok. If you feel the pain of a defeat and the rush of a goal then you’re in “the community”.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OnePack*

*Until Dave in Dudley decides that someone kitted out in old gold and black hasn’t been near Molineux so isn’t a true fan.

The super fan/plastic fan argument is THE MOST ridiculous in football.

When a community forms around a product or brand it’s because you all have one shared interest - to see it’s success. I couldn’t care if you’re half a minute from the ground or in Bangkok. If you feel the pain of a defeat and the rush of a goal then you’re in “the community”.
Bang on!

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All i will say is, i am of the belief you support a local club, not attach yourself to one based solely upon succes. With the exception of family connections to the club being passed on.

With the growth of a club, success on the pitch and increased media attention more people begin to follow a team as they just want to have a slight bragging rights over who they support.

man utd fans from Kent are no different than say Chelsea fans in south Africa or wolves fans in Mexico, in fact the man utd fans would be more loyal as they would still support them if they were ****.

As i said, i understand it is something required and that will happen, but it is something i am also not comfortable with. I dont want to see a new stadium off the current site with a hotel and all the other trimmings to cater for holiday fans.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I’ll worry about that when I’m crying tears of joy into my Champions League winners memorial scarf and not a moment before.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All i will say is, i am of the belief you support a local club, not attach yourself to one based solely upon succes. With the exception of family connections to the club being passed on.

With the growth of a club, success on the pitch and increased media attention more people begin to follow a team as they just want to have a slight bragging rights over who they support.

man utd fans from Kent are no different than say Chelsea fans in south Africa or wolves fans in Mexico, in fact the man utd fans would be more loyal as they would still support them if they were ****.

As i said, i understand it is something required and that will happen, but it is something i am also not comfortable with. I dont want to see a new stadium off the current site with a hotel and all the other trimmings to cater for holiday fans.
Wolves fans in Mexico are possibly a bad example. Lets see, if and when he moves on, if they are following Raul or the team....

Wigan Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Good grief

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know how this will all work out, but if in a few years time the Mumbai Wolves supporters club come over to watch a match, I think that would be great. As someone who lives in the area we could do with more people coming here and spending money.

I don't think it much different to how football has always been, with the only slight difference being Wolves are now actively trying to grow the fanbase. Moxey's vision extended as far as the Welsh border. In fact one of the many criticisms Moxey received was that he didn't do enough to market the Wolves 'brand' given our distinctive colours and badge. Now we are looking further afield. Viking Wolves, Mumbai Wolves, whatever supporters club from anywhere on this rock floating through space, it's all the same to me.

I think some fans have this fear, I think a somewhat irrational fear, that Molineux is going to be half full with fans who are on a day out.

During the preseason trip to China there was a British Wolves fan who lives and works there who made a Youtube video of him going to one of the games. He talked to an old Chinese man who supported Wolves and had said he had done for twenty years.

As some of you might have seen there is a nine year old Californian kid who has started a Youtube channel dedicated to Wolves. He has been following Wolves for three years, and when he celebrates a Wolves goal he does so as any other Wolves fans does.

So an old Chinese fella and a young kid in America might have nothing else in common but supporting Wolves, and I think that is great and why football is the best sport in the world.

That's just my thoughts on it. And I hope the Indian students come up with some brilliant ideas for their project. Maybe we can use some of them.

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Your view on it is far too tribal. Not everyone is the world is a die hard football fan with a viable team to support. However the world is full of people who watch and enjoy football, thats the market we're aiming for and its absolutely huge, they are just casual fans who enjoy the sport.

I do exactly the same with NFL. I enjoy it as a spectacle, I know the rules and I know some of the players. Do I know enough to pledge my allegiance to a particular club?

T

TheConcourse

Your view on it is far too tribal. Not everyone is the world is a die hard football fan with a viable team to support. However the world is full of people who watch and enjoy football, thats the market we're aiming for and its absolutely huge, they are just casual fans who enjoy the sport.

I do exactly the same with NFL. I enjoy it as a spectacle, I know the rules and I know some of the players. Do I know enough to pledge my allegiance to a particular club?
Exactly this.

Not sure how many people live in and around Wolverhampton. Let’s say it’s 1 million across a few areas. That’s really the addressable market for Fosun in the U.K. Football in the U.K. is tribal, so it’s likely the only way to increase the fanbase is by

a: get the attention of rival supporters
b: convert younger fans to come to games

Both are possible (a is very hard), but they’re both a slow burn.

When you start to factor in the sheer size of the audience globally - even if they’re likely to be a group of fans whose loyalty depends on success - the opportunity becomes vast.

Some of fanbase will become connected to the club because of the brand, some of them will connect because of the manager, and some because of the players.

The club needs to keep pushing the brand and the personal brands of every influential part of this club - Moutinho, Neves, Jimenez, Traore. That’s going to be the thing that gets the attention of future fans globally. And when you get them, hopefully you can retain them.

T

TheConcourse

Wolves fans in Mexico are possibly a bad example. Lets see, if and when he moves on, if they are following Raul or the team....
I don’t see the Raul one as an issue buddy. Wolves are like every other club outside of the big six.

We’re really just fighting for attention. If the personal brands of our players helps to deliver that then we should ride the wave.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this.

Not sure how many people live in and around Wolverhampton. Let’s say it’s 1 million across a few areas. That’s really the addressable market for Fosun in the U.K. Football in the U.K. is tribal, so it’s likely the only way to increase the fanbase is by

a: get the attention of rival supporters
b: convert younger fans to come to games

Both are possible (a is very hard), but they’re both a slow burn.

When you start to factor in the sheer size of the audience globally - even if they’re likely to be a group of fans whose loyalty depends on success - the opportunity becomes vast.

Some of fanbase will become connected to the club because of the brand, some of them will connect because of the manager, and some because of the players.

The club needs to keep pushing the brand and the personal brands of every influential part of this club - Moutinho, Neves, Jimenez, Traore. That’s going to be the thing that gets the attention of future fans globally. And when you get them, hopefully you can retain them.
Too many "fans" get caught up on the plastic bit and going to the ground etc but realistically matchday income is absolutely nothing compared to wider income streams. Id wager the likes of City, Chelsea etc earn tens of millions more from shirt sales in Asia than they do from matchdays.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t see the Raul one as an issue buddy. Wolves are like every other club outside of the big six.

We’re really just fighting for attention. If the personal brands of our players helps to deliver that then we should ride the wave.
I wasn't saying it was an issue. More that l suspect that the majority of our current Mexican following will only be interested in us while Raul is here.

T

TheConcourse

Too many "fans" get caught up on the plastic bit and going to the ground etc but realistically matchday income is absolutely nothing compared to wider income streams. Id wager the likes of City, Chelsea etc earn tens of millions more from shirt sales in Asia than they do from matchdays.
Someone close to Albion suggested that it was 5% of their revenue, and that was a few years ago. I wouldn’t imagine match day is too far from that number.

T

TheConcourse

I wasn't saying it was an issue. More that l suspect that the majority of our current Mexican following will only be interested in us while Raul is here.
I’m just thinking out load with my responses - like this topic - find it interesting!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am proud that my team that represents my town is supported by people all over the world.
I understand most would disappear if we ended up in The Championship or Division One - so what , thats their loss.
Nothing changes - I support Wolves even if we went back to having gates of 4000

bilstonwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am proud that my team that represents my town is supported by people all over the world.
I understand most would disappear if we ended up in The Championship or Division One - so what , thats their loss.
Nothing changes - I support Wolves even if we went back to having gates of 4000
Would you feel the same if the match day experience was commercialized even more, if you were unable to get a ticket, if ticket prices rose to the point of being unaffordable? This is what happens at 'big' clubs when new (plastic) fans start coming to the ground en masse

RutlandWolf

Groupie
Reaction score

so you object to our Scandinavian fans?

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
so you object
Where have a I said I object? I have stated in my posts I am conflicted by global growth of the club, yet also say I understand it needs to happen and will.
People need to learn to read, and understand, an entire post rather than picking one bit of it.

edit-rather ironically it seems that half the quote has gone missing, shall leave as is though for funsies.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would you feel the same if the match day experience was commercialized even more, if you were unable to get a ticket, if ticket prices rose to the point of being unaffordable? This is what happens at 'big' clubs when new (plastic) fans start coming to the ground en masse
I don't know. I want us to win things and if that brings "plastic" fans I will have to deal with it when it arrives.
But if we have to always fail in order to keep things "real " that depresses me.

Back
Top Bottom