Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Turning over the squad

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The key to success for the coming season is how effectively Jackett and Thelwell turn over the squad in the next 2-3 months.

Here's what I'd do to reduce the wage bill, bring in some cash, trim the squad slightly and invest in some young and hungry players with pace, skill and lower league experience.

Outs

Sell Sako for 4.5-5m
Loan out Doyle, O'Hara and Johnson (bring in 0.5m in loan fees if we're lucky)
Sell Griffiths for 1-1.5m (he'd tear apart L1 but doesn't want to be at Wolves)
Sell Henry for 0.5m (with thanks but best for all parties if he moves on)
Sell Ward for 0.5m (ditto)
Sell Hennessey for 2.5-3m (with regret but to raise cash given we have Ikeme)

Ins

Buy Nakhi Wells for 1.5m
Buy Luke Murphy for 3m+
Buy Albert Adomah for 1.5m
Buy Harry Macguire for 1m
Bring in Tommy Spurr on a free
Buy Keith Andrews for 0.5m and make him captain

I'd make Murphy the marquee signing in the same way that Southampton did when they were in L1 and bought in Rickie Lambert 3 summers ago. I don't think we shld be afraid of spending decent money on young players who will only go up in value with the money now in the Prem

R

RichDavi

Bugger me - I know we're the rich boys of the league but surely we're being taken for a ride if we're paying that much for League 1 players on the off chance they live up t their potential?

I mean I know Jez screwed us over trying to save money but surely we're not going to spend that much on players who could be average? I mean I know they have potential but Jarvis only cost £500k after all, some of those clubs would bite our hand off for half a mill

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hawkins discuss

The key to success for the coming season is how effectively Jackett and Thelwell turn over the squad in the next 2-3 months.

Here's what I'd do to reduce the wage bill, bring in some cash, trim the squad slightly and invest in some young and hungry players with pace, skill and lower league experience.

Outs

Sell Sako for 4.5-5m
Loan out Doyle, O'Hara and Johnson (bring in 0.5m in loan fees if we're lucky)
Sell Griffiths for 1-1.5m (he'd tear apart L1 but doesn't want to be at Wolves)
Sell Henry for 0.5m (with thanks but best for all parties if he moves on)
Sell Ward for 0.5m (ditto)
Sell Hennessey for 2.5-3m (with regret but to raise cash given we have Ikeme)

Ins

Buy Nakhi Wells for 1.5m
Buy Luke Murphy for 3m+
Buy Albert Adomah for 1.5m
Buy Harry Macguire for 1m
Bring in Tommy Spurr on a free
Buy Keith Andrews for 0.5m and make him captain

I'd make Murphy the marquee signing in the same way that Southampton did when they were in L1 and bought in Rickie Lambert 3 summers ago. I don't think we shld be afraid of spending decent money on young players who will only go up in value with the money now in the Prem

We are not in the PL now old fruit
Agree this is a way to go but do you think that the two amigos will go that way?

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why loan them out :S we could easily make £6m+ on those 3

dane

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why loan them out :S we could easily make £6m+ on those 3

Doubtful. Might get a fee for Doyle, we'll end up practically giving the other two away to get their massive wages off the books. What we made on player sales last summer will be eclipsed by the money we lose this (losing SEB and Berra on frees and the losses we make on the above 3 plus others we'll have to take hits on to reduce the wages)

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd put money on that the OP plays football manager.

Silly money.

MARQUEE..... Aaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh Nooooooooooooooooo

E

Essex Wolf

Saw the title thread and thought some of the players had been duffed up.:D

B

bridgnorthwolf

Keith Andrews is on similar wages to RJ, so that's not going to work...

P

paddy

expect only loans and freebies

jiz can blame fifa rules and expect us to feed on league 1 and 2 cast offs

E

Essex Wolf

expect only loans and freebies

jiz can blame fifa rules and expect us to feed on league 1 and 2 cast offs

Seeing as the club has acted on the cheap a while now Paddy it wouldn't surprise me in the least if what you say is pretty near the mark. As for Moxey and blaming someone else, again wouldn't surprise me.

D

Deleted member 4099

First of all I expect Doyle and RJ to move permanently and hope that JOH does to. Now I do expect us to spend but not 7million. Maybe 2 to 3 at a push and that will depend on out goings first. Nothing has changed at boardroom level remember. Nothing wrong with any of the players you mention.

E

Essex Wolf

No need for Wolves to spend silly money but they have the chance to use their financial clout in league1 to their advantage.

Not spending wisely and/or sufficiently has cost them dearly, no pun intended, in the past.

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
If we spend 3M on one player, I'll laugh my ass off.
Especially after Boukari and Doumbia.

B

bridgnorthwolf

League One clubs don't spend £3m on a player.

I expect us to be the biggest spenders in the league, but we'll have a negative net spend.

E

Essex Wolf

League One clubs don't spend £3m on a player.

I expect us to be the biggest spenders in the league, but we'll have a negative net spend.

Negative spend ,as they did last season and look how that ended bridgnorth.

Not saying Wolves need to overspend but they won't have to go silly to acquire good players for league 1 so would hope this season they at least put a bit more effort and interest into getting what's needed.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Murphy and Andrews worth a shout IMO. Youth and experience in one go.

Paid for by getting rid of Johnson and O'Hara(including wages)!

B

bridgnorthwolf

Negative spend ,as they did last season and look how that ended bridgnorth.

Not saying Wolves need to overspend but they won't have to go silly to acquire good players for league 1 so would hope this season they at least put a bit more effort and interest into getting what's needed.

Last season HAD to be a negative spend!

We made just shy of £30 million selling three players. Championship clubs can't/don't spend that sort of money!

We spent over £10 million in the summer, which is an astronomical figure for a Championship club and was second only to Blackburn. Kenny would have loved to have had ONE million to spend at Millwall let alone TEN.

I expect us to bring around £15m from player sales this summer and no League One club has ever spent that sort of money. We may spend a couple of million on a few decent players, bring in a few loanees and one or two experienced heads. That's all it needs.

B

bridgnorthwolf

Murphy and Andrews worth a shout IMO. Youth and experience in one go.

Paid for by getting rid of Johnson and O'Hara(including wages)!

How? Keith Andrews is on £21k per week. Johnson was on £25k per week in the PL and while some claim he had no relegation clause in his contract, I can't believe that and am sure he earns less here than Andrews does.

O'Hara is on more, but when our wage bill needs to be slashed by 75%, we need more than that!

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Last season HAD to be a negative spend!

We made just shy of £30 million selling three players. Championship clubs can't/don't spend that sort of money!

We spent over £10 million in the summer, which is an astronomical figure for a Championship club and was second only to Blackburn. Kenny would have loved to have had ONE million to spend at Millwall let alone TEN.

I expect us to bring around £15m from player sales this summer and no League One club has ever spent that sort of money. We may spend a couple of million on a few decent players, bring in a few loanees and one or two experienced heads. That's all it needs.

Spot on.

Out: De Vries (£300k), Johnson (£750k), Jonsson (Free), Ward (£500k), Hammill (£300k), Henry (£500k), Doumbia (season-long loan), Edwards (£500k), Sako (£4.5m), O'Hara (£500k), Doyle (£2m), Griffiths (£750k).

In: Chris McCann (Free), James Henry (£750k), Harry Forrester (£1m), Steve Morison (Loan) or Tom Pope (£750k), Britt Assombalonga (Loan), K Phillips (Free), James Wallace (£750k)

Net Spend of about -£8m

Team of:

Hennessey
Foley, Stearman, Batth, Elokobi
Boukari, McCann (c), J Henry, Forrester
Sigurdarson
Morison/Pope

Subs: Ikeme, Doherty, Margreitter, Ismail, Wallace, Phillips, McAlinden
Squad members: McCarey, Tank, Kostrna, Forde, Evans, Price, Davis, Cassidy

Job's a good 'un...

And back to Football Manager I go....

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally, I would prepare to wait and let the manager make the call as to who he wishes to keep and dispose of. If he manages to get us promoted next season, then I feel is the time to buy in but I grant he may feel differently.

Back
Top Bottom