Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Tommy Docherty RIP

Sheffield Wolf

Reaction score
I remember an interview in the Express and Star where he predicted we would be top 6 within a month. Didn’t quite work out.

RIP Doc.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember that great young team he assembled at Chelsea in the early 60s, with the likes of Bobby Tambling, Barry Bridges and Terry Venables. They were mostly all teenagers or very early 20s, a bit like us today. They came down to Molinueux opening day of 64-5 and whopped us 3-0.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thoughts and prayers to all his family and friends at this sad time

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I remember that great young team he assembled at Chelsea in the early 60s, with the likes of Bobby Tambling, Barry Bridges and Terry Venables. They were mostly all teenagers or very early 20s, a bit like us today. They came down to Molinueux opening day of 64-5 and whopped us 3-0.
I remember we played them at the start of the season (1964/5?) They came onto the pitch in their white socks with stunning golden tans .Our players had lily white legs in comparison.I read an article not long ago that said they had virtually stepped off the plane from a pre-season tour of Barbados and they played us off the pitch .They looked like film stars ,we looked like extras in a B movie -miles apart

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember a conga on the terrace that day
Looking back ..... good times
Yes I remember that too.
They were usually led by a guy who occasionally at away games, would walk around amongst us, flapping his arms and clucking like a chicken!!
A real head the ball. Others would follow on behind. Often did it when we were losing, so quite often in those days!!
And I didn't just make that up, it really did happen.
Fond memories indeed.

Gazaza1973

Groupie
Reaction score
Hadn't heard that one before :D

RIP Tommy, he was a real character and the king of quips

He also signed Ricki Herbert for Wolves which thrilled me as a kid
Oh god Ricki Herbert must surely go down as one of the worst starts to anyone's career at a new club ever remember is debut against Brighton the start of wolves longest run without a win poor sod had to wait about 6 months til that win at Carlisle, one of my favorite away days just before that he had a nightmare at Notts County, as for Docherty would anyone remember he ever managed the club if it weren't for is oneliners

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was on a hiding to nothing when he joined, we were a sinking ship and he had a bucket with holes in it. Can’t blame him for our plight. Anyone who followed Wolves at that time can truly consider themselves’ supported through thick and thin’.
RIP The Doc.
RIP Doc.
As I recall it got a lot thinner after Doc's time with us. The levels to which we sank after he departed showed exactly what he was up against. Put it like this, we were not in the same state as a club as when Dean Saunders took over but the outcome was the same - relegation to the 3rd division.

Sheffield Utd at Molineux was the Doc's first game in charge and the first game of the season and was a 2-2 draw. I thought we did OK that game but I had probably had a few in the Gifford beforehand. After that it got painful.

Reaction score
My memory of the Doc , April 85 , Wimbledon away , plough lane 1-1 Alan ainscow , found my way into the dressing room after the game , Docherty opened the kit basket and gave me the no,9 shirt , after I had been treated by Roger Hipkiss to a meal and as much beer that I could drink in the directors box .

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember the day he was appointed and we went up to the Molineux and I was one of a small group who spoke to him on the North Bank Car Park .I asked him if he would be buying any players and he said ‘ I don’t smoke son’
I was at a mate's house the night he was announced on the TV and walked out from behind a screen, chirruping away.
My mate's dad took one look and said "oh dear" and walked out the room.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh god Ricki Herbert must surely go down as one of the worst starts to anyone's career at a new club ever remember is debut against Brighton the start of wolves longest run without a win poor sod had to wait about 6 months til that win at Carlisle, one of my favorite away days just before that he had a nightmare at Notts County, as for Docherty would anyone remember he ever managed the club if it weren't for is oneliners

Happy days! Notts was a 4-0 loss wasn't it? I remember as a kid having hope wolves would stay up right until it was statistically impossible :D

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My memory of the Doc , April 85 , Wimbledon away , plough lane 1-1 Alan ainscow , found my way into the dressing room after the game , Docherty opened the kit basket and gave me the no,9 shirt , after I had been treated by Roger Hipkiss to a meal and as much beer that I could drink in the directors box .

How did you manage to get to do that?!

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
Always remember what he said was his first job at Molineux, to put his hand in his trouser pockets to pay the milkman as we owed him so much he wasn't leaving any without cash up front, i always think that summed up our real plight even better than what was happening on the pitch.
RIP Tommy, will always remember you trying to lighten the start of what were to become Wolves darkest days.

Reaction score
easy , blagged my way past an uniformed steward, found my way into directors box , at kick off time , Roger Hipkiss got me a seat , and on it went , when i got back on the train all the lads wanted to know where i had been , those were the days !

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

easy , blagged my way past an uniformed steward, found my way into directors box , at kick off time , Roger Hipkiss got me a seat , and on it went , when i got back on the train all the lads wanted to know where i had been , those were the days !

nice work!

Back
Top Bottom