Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Thelwell and Dalrymple

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
Fosun invested initially to get us into the prem and secure us there. They have now said we need to be self sufficient. We've had less money to give to Mendes for players which is why transfers on the whole haven't been as successful

This is 100% a factor. Although Mendes has a whole stable of players with different transfer values so don't really buy this fully.

I just hope they don't invest in the squad when its too late.

Anybody with half an eye can see we need significant investment in the squad.

Talking numbers here - not value. Value would be nice nut there is value out there.

Not every player can have a resale value or a ROI.

Sometimes you just need to buy footballers for football reasons.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you say you'd got your season ticket? Are you now on to threads with questions trying to convince yourself you made the wrong decision?

Thats a bit harsh Mutchy. Not what some may want to hear on here but he has made a few decent points on this thread for debate.

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
Thats a bit harsh Mutchy. Not what some may want to hear on here but he has made a few decent points on this thread for debate.

Thanks JOS Wolf.

I only say things that are on my mind.

I think we have a great first XI just frustrated Fosun seem to have put the handbrake on and put profits ahead of football.

This Dalrymple/ Thelwell thread only came to me today.

There was a definite improvement in match day and sine Dalrymple left it has stagnated / gone backwards. Is he the factor? I don’t know.

When Thelwell was here we seemed to have a transfer structure and team. Feels now we are checking FIFA for player stats and building possible transfer targets from there - this probably isn’t true but what it feels like.

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
Fosun invested initially to get us into the prem and secure us there. They have now said we need to be self sufficient. We've had less money to give to Mendes for players which is why transfers on the whole haven't been as successful

Did they really invest heavily to get us there?

Take Neves out who would have resale value.

Smart transfer policy but they didn't invest heavily.

Cornwall Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thanks JOS Wolf.

I only say things that are on my mind.

I think we have a great first XI just frustrated Fosun seem to have put the handbrake on and put profits ahead of football.

This Dalrymple/ Thelwell thread only came to me today.

There was a definite improvement in match day and sine Dalrymple left it
has stagnated / gone backwards. Is he the factor? I don’t know.

When Thelwell was here we seemed to have a transfer structure and team. Feels now we are checking FIFA for player stats and building possible transfer targets from there - this probably isn’t true but what it feels like.
Lets get it correct on Dalrymple .. he was not committed to Wolves .. he was applying for Jobs behind the clubs back .. he had interviews for a number of positions and took the Harlequin's job without even informing Wolves .. he is not the saint people make him out to be and we are better without him .. Thelwell was different .. took a lot of stick on the Mix but did a good job under trying circumstances

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
Lets get it correct on Dalrymple .. he was not committed to Wolves .. he was applying for Jobs behind the clubs back .. he had interviews for a number of positions and took the Harlequin's job without even informing Wolves .. he is not the saint people make him out to be and we are better without him .. Thelwell was different .. took a lot of stick on the Mix but did a good job under trying circumstances

This has turned into a Dalrymple character assassination.

The point is how has the matchday experience changed since he left?

Has it changed? Got better? Worse?

You have to look for the common denominator.

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score

Also, if you want to change jobs ( like you, me or anyone else ) do you tell your employer?

Vicious Sid

Reaction score
Difficult to take anyone named Dalrymple seriously.

Unless the first name is Sid ........

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were at the club when Fosun were investing massively in order to establish us in the Premier league. As such those are the days we remember most fondly. I think if you had Sellars and Vinny in charge then and Laurie and Thelwell now the feelings would be reversed. All 4 ultimately only work to their remit
Exactly that. But when we're deemed as fans as not being successful it needs to be someone's fault.....

It used to be Jez, it was Jez yet again, now its sellers and/or Shi

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not sure anyone thinks he's a saint, quite the opposite looking at the comments. Not met him myself but curious if he's as bad as people are saying.

Agree re. Thelwell, family tell me he was great dealing with contracts etc.

Cornwall Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not sure anyone thinks he's a saint, quite the opposite looking at the comments. Not met him myself but curious if he's as bad as people are saying.

Agree re. Thelwell, family tell me he was great dealing with contracts etc.
Met Thelwell a number of times and disvussed football in general .. very knowledgeable.. he was also offered a new post in the States and he spoke with club and asked if he could follow his dreams and his dream job .. a gentleman

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Why have you sent me transfers for 17/18 when I said they invested to get us up and secure us. That would include signings all the loaned players and bringing in Raul, Jonny etc

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
Why have you sent me transfers for 17/18 when I said they invested to get us up and secure us. That would include signings all the loaned players and bringing in Raul, Jonny etc

Two different questions:

To get us there - 17/18

To stay there - jonny and Rui again investment with def payback and Raul was loan to buy. Traore last minute buy. Offset by Adobe sale.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two different questions:

To get us there - 17/18

To stay there - jonny and Rui again investment with def payback and Raul was loan to buy. Traore last minute buy. Offset by Adobe sale.

It's the same question as once again I said to get us there and keep us there Fosun made a big initial investment. You are forgetting all the loans we made permanent (all this was under Thelwell so is relevant to the question you originally asked).

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
It's the same question as once again I said to get us there and keep us there Fosun made a big initial investment. You are forgetting all the loans we made permanent (all this was under Thelwell so is relevant to the question you originally asked).

Yes - but again its a risk free investment ( ok lowering the risk ) . Loan first - then buy when you know they a) fit in b) the right age and temperament c) have resale value.

This really limits the amount of players who are willing to come.

I hope this summer is different as we need 5/6 players. Ready to play.

The initial question though wasn't about investment but if the standard of transfer had dropped since Thelwell left. And had the matchday experience and connection with fans deteriorated since Dalrymple left.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes - but again its a risk free investment ( ok lowering the risk ) . Loan first - then buy when you know they a) fit in b) the right age and temperament c) have resale value.

This really limits the amount of players who are willing to come.

I hope this summer is different as we need 5/6 players. Ready to play.

The initial question though wasn't about investment but if the standard of transfer had dropped since Thelwell left. And had the matchday experience and connection with fans deteriorated since Dalrymple left.
Ok so i've answered the first part about the standard of transfers having dropped due to less money being available to spend. The second part, what more do you think could be done to improve the matchday experience?

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
Ok so i've answered the first part about the standard of transfers having dropped due to less money being available to spend. The second part, what more do you think could be done to improve the matchday experience?

For me its not just the standard its the quantity of first teamers that have come in.

Mendes, Gestifute and Fosun are still there and Mendes has a large stable of varying transfer values. So its not all down to investment.

Plus we are well within our FFP limits so investment could come.

Free Transfers and older players are available but we seem to want to sign players with marketable value or resale value.

As for the Matchday experience - not upto me to suggest or sort. I just asked if people think the matchday experience has stagnated or gone backwards.

I'm a paying customer its upto the club to put things in front of me and other supporters.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A temporary stand that wasn't closed for half the season would have improved the match day experience for about 846 people.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me its not just the standard its the quantity of first teamers that have come in.

Mendes, Gestifute and Fosun are still there and Mendes has a large stable of varying transfer values. So its not all down to investment.

Plus we are well within our FFP limits so investment could come.

Free Transfers and older players are available but we seem to want to sign players with marketable value or resale value.

As for the Matchday experience - not upto me to suggest or sort. I just asked if people think the matchday experience has stagnated or gone backwards.

I'm a paying customer its upto the club to put things in front of me and other supporters.
There was always going to be more quantity at the start as a big revamp was needed. You could argue it's needed again this summer and we'll see what happens there but ultimately the more money you give to Jorge the better quality he can provide. Our MO has always been to mostly sign players with re-sale value, even when Thelwell was here.

What do you expect from the matchday experience that you aren't getting that you previously were?

To answer your original question, I don't think it would make any difference if Thelwell and Laurie were still here.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They invested heavily enough to get us a fine from UEFA for transgressing their FFP limits. We'd have also been absolutely screwed by Championship FFP rules if we'd not got promoted in 17/18

Another bizarre accusation from you

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My only real experience of Mr. Dalrymple was at the meeting with Jeff Shi and others after we were invited to bring in some people from this forum for a chat. I thought he came across quite dismissive towards those there, i'm not sure what others at that meeting felt.
I wasn’t keen on him at all, I was sat next to him. He seemed less open and keen compared to Shi and Thelwell, who I felt was superb.

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Met Thelwell a number of times and disvussed football in general .. very knowledgeable.. he was also offered a new post in the States and he spoke with club and asked if he could follow his dreams and his dream job .. a gentleman
He upped the stakes on his dream job then, it was to be Liverpool Academy director when he was Academy boss here.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's a bit in Tim's last Wolves article on The Athletic that got me thinking.....

"It’s all been a bit surreal, truth be told. There was the time one senior figure at the club gently whispered into my ear, when talking about another senior figure: “I’m in charge here, not him.”

Morgan about Moxey?

Or Shi about Dalrymple?
Butti about Zenga

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He upped the stakes on his dream job then, it was to be Liverpool Academy director when he was Academy boss here.
Thought provoking.
Stopping Premier league and European football for the American dream and then returning to Everton two years later.
He seemed a top bloke so I hope enjoyed USA .

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then you will also know that Dalrymple found it increasing hard to work with Shi and this was the reason he was looking for out. The same reason that there are and have been a few others that also want out.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Then you will also know that Dalrymple found it increasing hard to work with Shi and this was the reason he was looking for out. The same reason that there are and have been a few others that also want out.
This was the notion I heard too - still waiting for someone to explain their personal experience of him being a ****. I'm not saying he isn't as I never met him - but others are sounding off like they've had bad experiences with him so curious to know.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you want a laugh, search posts including "Thelwell" and your username!
**** the bed, I didn't know you could do that! ****ing accountability on a footie forum, I'm in the eighth circle of hell. Please no one search for me and Bright Enobakhare or Paul Lambert. I have been right about absolutely everything else in the last 30 years mind ;)

As regards Thelwell and Dalrymple, I just don't know how you make an assessment or their abilities based on their Wolves' performances, there are just too many other variables, many unknown to us; no issue with people speculating but I've no idea. Thelwell seemed alright to me though?

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, most people apply for other jobs without telling their current employer, why would you? And when a job offer comes in that you want, that’s when you resign.
Realistically, I don’t see any other practical way of doing it.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This was the notion I heard too - still waiting for someone to explain their personal experience of him being a ****. I'm not saying he isn't as I never met him - but others are sounding off like they've had bad experiences with him so curious to know.

Same here DDPP.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I sat next to him for two hours and found him hard work, difficult to engage with, a little moody and defensive and certainly a little arrogant.
Fair enough but there are people like that in every organisation i have worked in. Doesnt mean they were crap at their job. Some were, some were not, but i guess it is only important if being “public facing” is a key part of the job.
Dont get me wrong, he may have been like that with everyone, inc the staff working for him, and that might have made him very hard work as a boss, and i would hope that someone in that position might want ti engage with the fans, but not everyone is comfortable in those circumstances.
The key issue is was he actually any good at his job?!?!?!?

Back
Top Bottom