Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Small Squad - Myth?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another way of thinking about this is looking at options for each position. Including players who've been on bench/around first team, this means...

GK: Sa, Sarkic
No issues here.

RB: Semedo, Jonny, Mosquera
LB: Ait-Nouri, Jonny, Gomes, Bueno
Something to address in medium term. Jonny's versatility useful but not sure he's suited to Lage's style

CB: Kilman, Collins, Gomes, Boly, Mosquera
Boly will need replacing as a back-up before too long, I suspect. I rate Gomes (and he's left-footed), but Mosquera an unknown quantity.

CM: Neves, Moutinho, Dendoncker, Cundle, Ronan
This is where we're short, of quality and variety.

RF: Gibbs-White, Guedes, Podence, Traore, Hwang, Campbell
Don't need all that depth, especially with Chiquinho to come back, though some can play other positions. Would be ok selling two of MGW, Traore and Podence to fund CM.

LF: Neto, Guedes, Hwang, Podence
Good balance here I think.

CF: Jimenez, Hwang, Guedes, (Silva)
Will get us through season, but we need a Jimenez replacement. Maybe Silva...?
Agree with that assessment, I’d like to see a different type CM to come in for definite and if possible another CF (the latter on loan)

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good points being made here, I do also think the change to five subs will have a serious effect how teams use their squads. Since the Womens Euros, and I'm sure this did exist to some extent even with 3 subs, but I'm hearing more and more talk about teams having first XIs and "finishers" who come on to see out or change the game. Leeds being able to bring on four players towards the end certainly played a part on Saturday.
I’m still on the fence as to the impact 5 subs will make. I think it’s a novelty currently and teams will try and find their feet with it. It has its merits obviously but a big pit fall is it disrupts the rhythm of the team.

I watched united on Sunday bring on 3 on 90 mins and just thought “what’s the point?” It added absolutely nothing and effectively killed off their chance of an equaliser

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To balance the squad i would sacrifice Gibbs to get in a decent midfielder and a back up forward for Raul....I like Gibbs but I don't see him either a nailed on starter in midfield or as a forward....more of a luxury that doesn't benefit the team...that's not slating Gibbs just think we could use the funds from him more effectively.

In an ideal world we would he ave all 3 but we probably can't do that ...

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Marcal, Coady, Silva , Hoever , Saiss Trincao Ruddy out.
Collins and Guedes in.
That’s makes our squad smaller. And most felt it should be larger.
That’s a tad disingenuous though isn’t it?

Marcal was brought in as a stop gap due to Jonny’s injury, Jonny is back so Marcal is no longer needed.

Coady and Saiss are replaced by Collins and a move to a back 4 (Gomes was added in January too so compared to last summer we’re like for like numbers wise and likely playing one less CB most of the time).

Hoever, from a pure numbers point of view yes we’re down, but his minutes played once Jonny was back were limited at best. We’ve got some cover at full back still albeit we are a player light in an ideal world.

Trincao, gone with Traore back so not lighter currently unless Traore goes. Also MGW is in the squad now and Guedes too so numbers wise it’s MGW and Guedes for Trincao and Silva.

Ruddy is replaced by Sarkic.

The only place we’re lighter than last season is an out and out striker, but we’ve more players who can play centrally in this system than we had then.

Other than that it’s full back and having 5 of them again won’t fix our actual issue which is lack of depth centrally.

Last edited:

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m still on the fence as to the impact 5 subs will make. I think it’s a novelty currently and teams will try and find their feet with it. It has its merits obviously but a big pit fall is it disrupts the rhythm of the team.

I watched united on Sunday bring on 3 on 90 mins and just thought “what’s the point?” It added absolutely nothing and effectively killed off their chance of an equaliser
I think that’s why the balance is needed. You need similar players who can come in simply as a like for like replacement for a tiring player. But you also need some variation to allow a system/tactical change, eg going from 4:2:3:1 to 4:3:3, 4:4:2 or even 5:3:2. Last season a lot of our players were similar so substitutions to make a system change was by necessity putting square pegs in round holes.

With the U23s I was surprised that we didn’t play more of Saturday’s bench on Monday. The level of competition for the u21s is a step up this season and so it would be reasonable match practice for them. I never really understood Nuno’s reluctance, particularly with young players as it allows them to build confidence and remain match fit. It also allows them to put into practice what they’re being coached in the first team.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting that he said that about natural goal scorers, given he's spent most of his managerial career either playing without a classic centre forward, or even moving a classic forward out wide, like Eto'o.
But I think that’s because the instinct to score goals doesn’t always coincide with a centre forward .

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that’s why the balance is needed. You need similar players who can come in simply as a like for like replacement for a tiring player. But you also need some variation to allow a system/tactical change, eg going from 4:2:3:1 to 4:3:3, 4:4:2 or even 5:3:2. Last season a lot of our players were similar so substitutions to make a system change was by necessity putting square pegs in round holes.

With the U23s I was surprised that we didn’t play more of Saturday’s bench on Monday. The level of competition for the u21s is a step up this season and so it would be reasonable match practice for them. I never really understood Nuno’s reluctance, particularly with young players as it allows them to build confidence and remain match fit. It also allows them to put into practice what they’re being coached in the first team.
I agree with playing them in the u23s midweek, perhaps he didn’t want to risk them with them being in the first team squad currently after an intensive pre season.

It’ll be interesting Saturday in that heat as he may have to use all 5 whether he wants to or not.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think Bruno will do that once we are up and running a bit. ..and maybe a couple more of the senior players are back....he couldn't risk it Monday with us being short.....the kids have had a full season, so should be fit.....in a few weeks when some haven't played they will need the 90 mins in the u23s...... agree we need to do it but we didnt on Monday....but going forwards yes....

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally if we get one more bona fide first team player the level of Collins/Guedes I’ll be happy, if we get two I’ll be ecstatic. Again I know that still leaves us short in many peoples eyes but I’ll take the risk of 1-2 with real quality than 3-4 that do little but improve the bench.
Share those thoughts . And then fingers crossed they keep fit.
Semedo , Moutinho Jimenez all fit would be very nice.
Perhaps a guy who could chip in with around 10 goals would be a priority.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Share those thoughts . And then fingers crossed they keep fit.
Semedo , Moutinho Jimenez all fit would be very nice.
Perhaps a guy who could chip in with around 10 goals would be a priority.
Personally I think the first priority is a CM closely followed by another CF who could get goals.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another way of thinking about this is looking at options for each position. Including players who've been on bench/around first team, this means...

GK: Sa, Sarkic
No issues here.

RB: Semedo, Jonny, Mosquera
LB: Ait-Nouri, Jonny, Gomes, Bueno
Something to address in medium term. Jonny's versatility useful but not sure he's suited to Lage's style

CB: Kilman, Collins, Gomes, Boly, Mosquera
Boly will need replacing as a back-up before too long, I suspect. I rate Gomes (and he's left-footed), but Mosquera an unknown quantity.

CM: Neves, Moutinho, Dendoncker, Cundle, Ronan
This is where we're short, of quality and variety.

RF: Gibbs-White, Guedes, Podence, Traore, Hwang, Campbell
Don't need all that depth, especially with Chiquinho to come back, though some can play other positions. Would be ok selling two of MGW, Traore and Podence to fund CM.

LF: Neto, Guedes, Hwang, Podence
Good balance here I think.

CF: Jimenez, Hwang, Guedes, (Silva)
Will get us through season, but we need a Jimenez replacement. Maybe Silva...?
Good analysis. Where will the goals come from in your opinion ?
Who is likely to score around 10 goals ?

Last edited:

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As others have said, it's not just a straight up number of bodies that equals squad depth, it's bodies of the required quality in specific areas (CF, CM, LB/RB) that's the problem. All it takes is a small number of injuries to expose the problem. Bruno felt he could only made one sub in a game we were chasing; the lack of quality from the bench on Saturday arguably cost us a result.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I think the first priority is a CM closely followed by another CF who could get goals.
Yes but a CM that could chip in with around 6 or more goals from open play. Dedoncker, Moutinho Neves are all CM but dont score from open play.
On expected goals we should have beaten Leeds . But we just didn’t finish . I can see that being repeated as it was early last season .

Last edited:

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a good discussion and we can theorise all day long but lets look at the Leeds match. Tired legs in the second half with a fresh set of legs on the bench. How many did Lage bring on? Its a squad game these days. It should allow for a change in tactics. It should allow for a player to come off if he is not having a productive game.
As for the comparison with City they could even play with nine men on the field and still win. Fact of life.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes but a CM that could chip in with around 6 or more goals from open play. Dedoncker, Moutinho Neves are all CM but dont score from open play.
On expected goals we should have beaten Leeds . But we just didn’t finish . I can see that be repeated as it was early last season .
Personally i don’t want another midfielder who sits we have 3 of them. I’d quite like a PL version of N’Diaye who could both destroy but carry the ball as well. We need a midfielder who commits opposition midfielders to create space. For all their obvious talents Neves and Moutinho don’t do that so it helps opposition midfields in keeping their shape

Snorbans Wolf

Reaction score
We don’t have a small squad. Just because a certain poster says it twenty times a day doesn’t make it true.

We have a similar problem to the one that Spurs have with Kane, in terms of our midfield - Neves and Moutinho haven’t signed with us to sit on the bench, so anyone coming in will be aware that they’ll have a massive challenge getting into the team, or are reliant on Bruno playing a formation with three central midfielders.

We also seem to be playing the long term strategy with regards to getting players who COULD be in the squad but on the periphery of the team, out on loan. Bolla, Giles, Fabio immediately spring to mind. I’d have kept one of those full backs myself, but it’s a gamble that could pay off if Toti / Mosquera can fill in and/or don’t have to do so often.

I believe the strategy has been to wait for some top players (Guedes, clearly, Nunes perhaps) to decide whether they have better offers than us, and eventually we move on to backups.

I’d expect that between now and the end of the window we will bring in a couple of additional players (plus perhaps a couple of young prospects like Osorio) that boost the numbers that Bruno is prepared to actually give game time to. Seems clear that on Saturday he had a bench full of people he is only really comfortable having around the first team for experience of the match day environment.

It’s all about the timing of moving on from primary targets to the backups. With Guedes it’s worked to wait (I’m guessing). The worry of course is that we leave it too late to get good quality players in, and end up scrabbling around at the end of the window… this is especially concerning as it really does look like that’s what has happened before (Kieffer Moore).

But perhaps this Boubacar Traore fits the bill of someone for a midfield 2 who will play backup to Neves and Traore. And based on what Bruno has said before, I will be amazed if we don’t end up getting a target man striker in before the window closes.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a good discussion and we can theorise all day long but lets look at the Leeds match. Tired legs in the second half with a fresh set of legs on the bench. How many did Lage bring on? Its a squad game these days. It should allow for a change in tactics. It should allow for a player to come off if he is not having a productive game.
As for the comparison with City they could even play with nine men on the field and still win. Fact of life.
That's just about trust though in my opinion. We had three injuries to genuine starters/game changers in Raúl, Moutinho and Traore, if they're in the squad then I'd like to think we make more than one change. But the back up/alternative to them was in the starting lineup, so then it's down to the head coach to trust those next in line to do a job for him for 20 minutes when required

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good thread for what is at the core of some fans concerns about squad investment and ambition.

Think the club relied too heavily on our early Nuno era of very few injuries focus on a small senior squad. I understand the logic but it was always risky and it’s come back to bite us in the past couple of years.

Think the club has been slowly working to build more senior depth without growing the size of the squad, and that’s good. We did a fair amount of work on the bench quality last year, but made only limited progress on those challenging for match day starters. We are making more progress on this now, but we’re still missing competition in strikers and central midfield. Fix that over the next couple of weeks and I’ll feel more confident about our prospects and the clubs ambitions.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think there was a big overreaction to the bench on Saturday, obviously amplified by having four players out injured, and not counting the best player we've signed since the transfer window when we came up. It's very clear we are still lacking at least one dynamic central midfielder, and ideally a proven #9 that can play with their back to goal, as backup to Jimenez (or ideally, as direct competition).

GK - Sa/Sarkic
RB - Semedo/Jonny
RCB - Collins/Boly/Mosquera
LCB - Kilman/Gomes
LB - Ait-Nouri/Jonny/Bueno
CM - Neves/Moutinho/Dendoncker/(Traore?)
RW - Neto/Traore
LW - Guedes/Hwang
CAM - Podence/MGW
ST - Jimenez/New?/Guedes/Hwang

I would have liked a bigger upgrade at CM, but perhaps not realistic given the outlay on Guedes and Collins with no other outgoings at current. Unless Forest up their bid to £35m upfront with no unrealistic addons, then I think that forces our hand a bit given the contract renewal issue, but would allow us to upgrade in other areas, but perhaps also leaving us a little short at the #10 position, given Podence's previous injury issues.

Goncalo Ramos would be the perfect replacement as capable of playing as a 9/10, if Forest do up their bid for MGW, but obviously Newcastle are complicating that now if that was the plan.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We do have a small squad, Bruno could only bring on 1 sub last weekend as he doesn't trust the options he has, the squad isn't fit for purpose so the number of usable players is too small and is being padded out with players from the U-23 who aren't ready

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s a tad disingenuous though isn’t it?

Marcal was brought in as a stop gap due to Jonny’s injury, Jonny is back so Marcal is no longer needed.

Coady and Saiss are replaced by Collins and a move to a back 4 (Gomes was added in January too so compared to last summer we’re like for like numbers wise and likely playing one less CB most of the time).

Hoever, from a pure numbers point of view yes we’re down, but his minutes played once Jonny was back were limited at best. We’ve got some cover at full back still albeit we are a player light in an ideal world.

Trincao, gone with Traore back so not lighter currently unless Traore goes. Also MGW is in the squad now and Guedes too so numbers wise it’s MGW and Guedes for Trincao and Silva.

Ruddy is replaced by Sarkic.

The only place we’re lighter than last season is an out and out striker, but we’ve more players who can play centrally in this system than we had then.

Other than that it’s full back and having 5 of them again won’t fix our actual issue which is lack of depth centrally.
Its not disingenuous to put facts and nothing else in a post. Leavers and joiners
I suppose the crux is that I had written off Traore , Cutrone of MGW to play a part next season.
I just cant see them wanting to play here, their choice, but if they do that does make a difference.
I would be absolutely delighted to see those three playing in a committed fashion for our club
MGW - Cutrone -Traore could make a great frontline.

Last edited:

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We do have a small squad, Bruno could only bring on 1 sub last weekend as he doesn't trust the options he has, the squad isn't fit for purpose so the number of usable players is too small and is being padded out with players from the U-23 who aren't ready
But the evidence suggests we don't have a small squad....

As for Bruno not trusting the options on the bench that I absolutely agree with.

But we have 20 senior players + Mosquera, Cundle, Ronan, Cutrone (hah), Campbell

Poorly balanced - yes, but not small!

Anyway thanks to all. Been an interesting discussion :)

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its not disingenuous to put facts and nothing else in a post. Leavers and joiners
I suppose the crux is that I had written off Traore , Cutrone of MGW to play a part next season.
I just cant see them wanting to play here, their choice, but if they do that does make a difference.
I would be absolutely delighted to see those three playing in a committed fashion for our club
MGW - Cutrone -Traore could make a great frontline.
I mean it’s facts to a point though, if you’re counting Trincao as an out because his loan ended, then surely at this point you’ve got to include Sarkic, MGW and Traore as ins, arguably Ronan too as he’s currently in the squad.

So then it’s 7 out vs 6 in, still proves you right in terms of numbers but it’s far closer than saying 7 out and 2 in. That’s the fact in terms of physical squad numbers.

You’ve then got variables like Neto and Jonny weren’t available at the start of last season, but Traore was initially only going in January. We’ve then got Chiquinho but he isn’t currently available so that muddied the waters in a direct comparison,

We’re supposed to be after 2 more so that would leave us just about deeper than last season however dependant on the quality of those signings I’d say we could certainly have better quality and a better balance by the end of the window which is what’s most important.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a squad game these days. It should allow for a change in tactics.
Indeed, and Saturday was a good example - from a Leeds perspective.
Overrun as they were for the first 25 minutes of the 2nd half they took off Rodrigo (an attacker) and brought on Klich to shore up their midfield. We all know the result.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2 players for every position….I remember that quote on more than one occasion either from Wolves or from other managers.

Some positions we have that - RB, Wingers. Others we don’t (yet) - Striker, CM, CB (I don’t yet class either Mosquera or Toti as replacements other than cup and odd game and sadly Boly is not the player he was). So we have numbers but not quality to withstand rotation or injuries. We also don’t have the variation.

Hence the pressing need for CM (and a different form), a Striker and I’d now say a CB. I’d also be greedy and add a FB given that there are 5 subs and these will likely be asked to provide width compared to our inverted wingers. I’m happy for you to tell me Traore/Chiquinho could fulfil an attacking FB if we’re chasing game with Jonny/RAN on left and Semedo/Traore on right.

With 3 quality additions you can let Silva, Cundle and Mosquera go on loan (oh sorry we’ve already let Silva go…). Then we have a balanced squad which will withstand injuries, let Moutinho play 30-60 mins and be able to use 5 subs.

An exciting few weeks or a frustrating few weeks….

Last edited:

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The issue we have is Bruno doesnt seem to use the best of the u23 and seems to see them as mainly squad fillers at present.

Classic examples are in pre season and the first game of the season at Leeds. Pre season the young lads mainly played together in the lesser friendly games but hardly featured with the main side.

Leeds away Bruno brings on one sub, Chem Campbell, for only 10 mins when he needed to be on earlier for Hwang who was struggling and then Bruno's comments about our bench and lack of options after the game leads me to believe he either doesnt think the likes of Ronan, Cundle, Bueno, Campbell are good enough or ready yet. If that is the case then our options would appear too weak at full back where we have Jonny, 2 recent bad injuries, RAN, and Semedo, 2 hamstring injuries within 6 months.

Then the central midfield, just 3 real options and strikers only one option who is injured.

If you look at it that way then the squad is too small and we do need around 3 new signings in my opinion. A full back, a striker and a central midfield player. We also have to hope Boly can stay fit and both Mosquera and Toti can be good back up. Toti I like but he was poor in the u23 7-1 defeat on Monday.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed. I think Silva out on loan maybe solves a problem for next year, although depending how Raul and he get on this year, may add a different problem. IMO he should have been on loan last season and with us this season, so my personal feeling us that both the striker and CM issue have really been tackle one season too late.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The issue we have is Bruno doesnt seem to use the best of the u23 and seems to see them as mainly squad fillers at present.

Classic examples are in pre season and the first game of the season at Leeds. Pre season the young lads mainly played together in the lesser friendly games but hardly featured with the main side.

Leeds away Bruno brings on one sub, Chem Campbell, for only 10 mins when he needed to be on earlier for Hwang who was struggling and then Bruno's comments about our bench and lack of options after the game leads me to believe he either doesnt think the likes of Ronan, Cundle, Bueno, Campbell are good enough or ready yet. If that is the case then our options would appear too weak at full back where we have Jonny, 2 recent bad injuries, RAN, and Semedo, 2 hamstring injuries within 6 months.

Then the central midfield, just 3 real options and strikers only one option who is injured.

If you look at it that way then the squad is too small and we do need around 3 new signings in my opinion. A full back, a striker and a central midfield player. We also have to hope Boly can stay fit and both Mosquera and Toti can be good back up. Toti I like but he was poor in the u23 7-1 defeat on Monday.
I agree with he youngsters comment. I'm just discounting them. Zero point to them from a first team perspective if Bruno doesn't trust them!

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“If” we signed Belotti and Nunes (we won’t) - we’d all be ****-a-hoop.

We’d probably be more than satisfied if we did that AND lost MGW and Traore.

So is it ‘numbers’ or is it quality?

Definitely the latter, for me.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I know what you mean. In my head the best way to use the 5 sub rule is to react to potential changes in the game early and nip a momentum change in the bud with fresh legs if possible. We would not have lost against Leeds at the weekend if we had genuinely feasible options on the bench to the midfield and front 3. I think tired legs will be exposed a lot more this season when the high pressing teams are able to maintain this throughout the game.

Just reading my last sentence makes me think that it might actually help “lesser sides” maintain energy levels against the big 6 and make the game harder for them for longer.

Yea, I’m on the fence and have no idea!!!!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean it’s facts to a point though, if you’re counting Trincao as an out because his loan ended, then surely at this point you’ve got to include Sarkic, MGW and Traore as ins, arguably Ronan too as he’s currently in the squad.

So then it’s 7 out vs 6 in, still proves you right in terms of numbers but it’s far closer than saying 7 out and 2 in. That’s the fact in terms of physical squad numbers.

You’ve then got variables like Neto and Jonny weren’t available at the start of last season, but Traore was initially only going in January. We’ve then got Chiquinho but he isn’t currently available so that muddied the waters in a direct comparison,

We’re supposed to be after 2 more so that would leave us just about deeper than last season however dependant on the quality of those signings I’d say we could certainly have better quality and a better balance by the end of the window which is what’s most important.
I said it would be great to see Cutrone and Traore and MGW play in a committed front line.
I tried to compromise and play nice but I will cut to the chase . I think none of them will ever do that., they want out , they have their heads turned.
Today my opinion is our squad is weaker than the one that finished in May.
The options Bruno had at Leeds were almost nil. That wasnt the case in May 2022.
Going on the end of last season and Saturday - we still have a lot to do. IMO

Last edited:

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Key difference is quality not numbers
If both Managers play their “best” team, you have one that is happy to play any of his substitutes and one that doesn’t believe any of them are good enough.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Key difference is quality not numbers
If both Managers play their “best” team, you have one that is happy to play any of his substitutes and one that doesn’t believe any of them are good enough.

It's not rare for commentators to mention during matches that one of the Big 6's bench cost more than the first 11 of their opponents.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Expectations get adjusted because they have to.

We can say all we want about wanting loads more players in but we know it's not going to happen, so we become accustomed to our reality.

Man City are a poor comparison IMO because they have so many players who can play different roles, particularly types of midfielder and they are good enough to not need a striker, we aren't.

Our situation isn't desperate, it's just frustrating that we've had many problems for years.

I think we need a central defender who can cover at right-back, not that hard to find.

We obviously need a central midfielder, we can debate on the qualities they need but what's not up for debate that having three is a joke.

We obviously need a striker as we have one natural number nine and he's injured.

This is what I mean about adjusted expectations. Having four central midfielders or two proper strikers is still small. You could make a strong argument to say we need more.

But, it's pointless. So in the real world, IMO we need at least three new players. If MGW has to go to fund that, it's perhaps the only area we can afford a sale, so if he has to go he has to go. Ideally I'd want him to stay but again trying to be realistic.

It goes without saying that you want quality. However it has to reach a stage where we do something. If on deadline day we need to get a short-term midfielder because they're better than Conor Ronan, you do it. If we need to find an old striker on loan because we haven't got anyone after Raul, you do it. Because we simply can't afford to go a season with Ronan as fourth choice and no striker as backup. Again, this is the last resort but we need to be prepared.

We haven't been good enough at utilising the loan market or done enough Marcal type signings IMO. There are loads of players like that in Europe where most clubs are skint that could do a job if needed.

Last edited:

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess technically we have a pretty standard sized squad but the reality is the huge drop off between the starting eleven and the replacements. The last two seasons have highlighted that gulf quite clearly.

Three proven midfielders and one proven center forward is simply not good enough for a club with alleged aspirations for Europe.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said it would be great to see Cutrone and Traore and MGW play in a committed front line.
I tried to compromise and play nice but I will cut to the chase . I think none of them will ever do that., they want out , they have their heads turned.
Today my opinion is our squad is weaker than the one that finished in May.
The options Bruno had at Leeds were almost nil. That wasnt the case in May 2022.
Going on the end of last season and Saturday - we still have a lot to do. IMO
I haven’t included Cutrone either as I agree he isn’t likely to stay.

Traore I don’t know as you can not include him simply because you think he won’t be here when he trained with the first team in preseason and whilst he may still go other players may still sign as well.

MGW as above, however he started at Leeds so again I don’t see how you can’t include him in the squad as it stands.

The bench being weak at Leeds isn’t an indication that the squad is weaker than last season, it’s an indication that the squad lacks depth in certain positions so injuries make it weak too quickly. The same was true last season.

I’m not going to argue that the squad isn’t deep enough (in certain positions) overall, I just don’t see that it’s much weaker than last season. It’s also still a work in progress which is why excluding players because you don’t think they’ll stay muddies the waters when you then don’t account for the fact we may (should) sign others.

Perhaps this discussion would be better on 2nd September, if they do the business they’re supposedly looking to do I’m confident our squad should be stronger and better balanced than last season. If they **** up the end of the window like last year then there’s every chance you’ll be right if the players you believe will leave do and without replacements.

Back
Top Bottom