Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we sign Batshuayi or Brereton Diaz and keep Neves and MGW, we at least start the season stronger than we finished the last. I think it’s telling that Silva doesn’t seem to feature in Lage’s plans. I have a feeling the loan to Anderlecht could be intended to raise his profile with regular game time, with a potential sale coming next summer. In my opinion, MGW’s ability and what he can he add to the team is clear to see and I just don’t see the same signs with Silva. Hope I’m wrong re Silva though!!!
That's a very typical viewpoint to have around here. Very extreme. No middle ground. Black or white.

Asthmatic Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The FFP regulations have actually always given newly promoted clubs a bit of an advantage in the transfer market.

Mainly because their turnovers increase massively in comparison to their wage bill, effectively giving them more to spend.

For example, Forest's wage bill last season was around £37m. Ours was close to £100m.

Forest's turnover was around £18m, so they had more than 200% wages to income ratio (ours was around 192% in our Championship season too, so not uncommon).

Every Premier League club will see their turnover rise to above £100m. So when they call the playoff final the richest game in the World, they aren't joking.

Without taking previous losses, current player amortisation, or promotion wage rises into account, in a nutshell, it means newly promoted clubs have a lot more financial wiggle room to spend, before they start reaching any limits for FFP losses etc.

The competitive advantage on transfer spending is even starker this year, as anyone like us hoping to be in that group of clubs who qualify for Europe need to keep a close eye on the new UEFA FFP regulations that have just come in.

In short, that limits clubs to a combined wage and transfer spend of 90% of our turnover for this season (then 80% next, 70% by 24/25) . Our wages currently account for 72% of our turnover.

So we have a much tighter gap on spending before losses mount up, or we hit the 90% of turnover number.

But a club who have just seen their turnover go up over 5 times, with still a comparatively low wage bill, again have much more wiggle room!

So in answer to your question, they got rich when they were promoted. If they stay up for a number of seasons, with wages rising organically, higher profile players signing and player amortisation increasing, they will face the same challenges as any other club in that situation.

Forest have the added challenge that if they do stay up, do well and sneak into Europe in a few seasons, their owner, Evangelos Marinakis, then has to decide which of Forest and Olympiakos he keeps hold of, as both aren't allowed to compete in UEFA competitions at the same time if owned by the same person!
Great post

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my opinion, MGW’s ability and what he can he add to the team is clear to see and I just don’t see the same signs with Silva. Hope I’m wrong re Silva though!!!
In fairness, MGW is something like 33 months older than Fabio - if we give Fabio another 3 seasons' development, I think you'll see a really good player.

IMV both will have a good PL career - and I'm hoping they'll prove that with us!

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow, we’ve spent £150m in this window before we even purchased Collins!

:rolleyes:

That's the line that I expected to be used by Sellars, Shi, Lage and members of this forum to defend another poor window.
"Look we didn't sign all the players we wanted, but at least we got to keep..."

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This write up from Johnny Phillips is a good summary of this transfer window so far:
Saves reading nearly 400 pages of this thread.
If Phillips is right we really did hang all our hopes on Neves being sold, just like last summer.

Great plan.....

And while I completely understand that we couldn't spend big without selling big, I still can't fathom that an established PL club couldn't afford to strenghten in a way that enable us to start the season with more than 3 midfielders and zero strikers in the squad, without having to sell first.

Last edited:

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This write up from Johnny Phillips is a good summary of this transfer window so far:
It is obvious plan A was selling neves for a substantial fee to barca to bring in 3/4 quality players and Barca have had our trousers down again but what I don't get is why hasn't a plan B been devised. It doesn't excuse the complete ineptitude of an awful strategy that has proceeded the last 3 years where we leave our squad threadbare. To go into a Premier league opener without a recognised striker and having to fill your bench with kids is a disgrace. Anyway rant over come on me babbies today

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Most sobering thing about this article is how it's all about money and sales.

Planned to sell Neves, couldn't - that's okay, with a release clause we can sell him next year. Gibbs-White is doing well - could sell him, but if we hold on maybe we can flog him for more! Shift to a back four? Hm, probably means we can sell Coady...

It's inevitable in an article about transfers, but it sums up the general mood of the summer with a handful of departures and wondering how much we can flog members of the first team for.

I think this is the most unenthused I've been about the start of a season for many years.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Planned to sell Neves, couldn't - that's okay, with a release clause we can sell him next year. Gibbs-White is doing well - could sell him, but if we hold on maybe we can flog him for more! Shift to a back four? Hm, probably means we can sell Coady...

It's inevitable in an article about transfers, but it sums up the general mood of the summer with a handful of departures and wondering how much we can flog members of the first team for.

I think this is the most unenthused I've been about the start of a season for many years.
Most of the "who can we sell and for how much" comes from the fans rather than the club, the latter being notoriously tight lipped. I must admit I am excited about our new formation, seeing MGW in old gold as well as what I hope will be a lot more goal opportunities from our front 3. Shame the new cf isn't present today but he will come soon.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tv

But we know its sell to buy so without a big sale there's no big purchase(s). Selling is the vital step.
I suspect that if Ne es had gone for the money we want we would try to buy Nunes and Ramos, hence the long term links.
We haven't so now it's maybe MGW (for enough to buy Nunes) or more likely Coady.
Fosun seem to be positioning for a sale so will be reluctant to significantly increase the club debt. Its a hard sell to Fosun money men "Give me £100 million and I reckon we have a 50/50 chance of making the Europa league, meaning we could make £30 million back".

R

reanswolf

I see a new CM seems to be going down the list of everyone’s priorities.

Everton moving for Donk? Maybe that was not true either.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don’t see that to be honest.

Rejecting a big bid for MGW, a player at a critical stage of their contract and not resigning, is a bold move IMO.

We could have taken the money and run.

Totally get the Neves situation, he’ll stay another year and we move on. Can’t really spend his money until he’s gone.

No more outgoing first team loans though Wolves. Adama or Coady if they go need tonne sold, although the latter would break my heart a bit.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
difficult to say as the window is still open for everyone, plus would need a pretty strong knowledge of every teams reserves and youth. We know bueno and cundle would only be used in an emergency thus our bench looks weak currently because we know our own players. You would have to know the equivalents for other teams
I would think they cover the spine well. So CH CM and striker options seem to be on most of the non sky six teams, just not us. You can throw Everton into that too as they are a mess and Leicester aren’t much better. Fulham have Mitrovic and a couple of options on the bench to back him up for instance. Forest to. Bournemouth just look championship quality throughout the whole squad

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It is another good article, especially as it clearly presents the club’s take on things, as well as his appreciation of fans views.

The info on Neves and Barca is insightful and ties in well with what we saw. Not sure how much of the De Jong saga which messed up the plan is their doing vs Man Utd, but both clubs are really getting on my tits. But, Wolves and Mendes should surely have anticipated the potential for delays and hiccups over De Jong and had a plan B ready to trigger so that the entirety of our summer business was not thrown out of the window. Since there is still plenty of time for things to happen, and for Neves to still move, I hope we have a plan B to replace Neves now that Palhinha is no longer available… a plan B which is not dependent on another chain which may or may not happen.

The striker situation is as expected and similar to the Neves one, does not fill me with confidence. I like that we have plans to sell and replace key players to develop the squad, but we seem overly dependent on one or two moves each summer and it’s holding us back.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I would think they cover the spine well. So CH CM and striker options seem to be on most of the non sky six teams, just not us. You can throw Everton into that too as they are a mess and Leicester aren’t much better. Fulham have Mitrovic and a couple of options on the bench to back him up for instance. Forest to. Bournemouth just look championship quality throughout the whole squad
But are there players on those benches, bournemouth apart, that could come on and change a game, or is there a drop off like with most of put bench?

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t see that to be honest.

Rejecting a big bid for MGW, a player at a critical stage of their contract and not resigning, is a bold move IMO.

We could have taken the money and run.

Totally get the Neves situation, he’ll stay another year and we move on. Can’t really spend his money until he’s gone.

No more outgoing first team loans though Wolves. Adama or Coady if they go need tonne sold, although the latter would break my heart a bit.

I agree, it's bold, and I'm happy we've kept hold of him. Like others have said, I'm liking the prospect of seeing what MGW can do, I think he's the type of player we've needed. And potientally keeping hold of Neves is obviously excellent.

I just wish there was more emphasis on this kind of thing, the team on the pitch, how we're now going to hopefully build with a back four and new formation, and how well MGW, Neto and Pod might work together, without the constant eye on value. I want MGW to thrive because we'll score more and win more, not so we can sell for more, but that's just the nature of it all, it's not just a Fosun thing.

Just transfer window fatigue. Hoping we perform today, no injuries or concerns, and that we can have a few days to bask before the wheel turns back to who is or isn't bidding what for who.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Wouldn’t have any issues with Neves signing a new contract with a reasonable release clause (something around £40m-£50m).

He has outgrown us and deserves to play at the very top. Just need some way of ensuring we get something resembling fair value when he does leave so we can reinvest properly.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are probably folk on here who weren't born when Deano played for us. If that hasn't yet happened for JoLo it won't be long.

Scarily at work l am inducting a new entrant who is currently finishing a post-graduate degree. He was born in 2000.....
If we sign Batshuayi or Brereton Diaz and keep Neves and MGW, we at least start the season stronger than we finished the last. I think it’s telling that Silva doesn’t seem to feature in Lage’s plans. I have a feeling the loan to Anderlecht could be intended to raise his profile with regular game time, with a potential sale coming next summer. In my opinion, MGW’s ability and what he can he add to the team is clear to see and I just don’t see the same signs with Silva. Hope I’m wrong re Silva though!!!
I disagree re Silva he has good movement and I think would gel well with Pod, Neto and MGW. If he can score some goals and boost his confidence this season, we could have a quality player on our hands next season.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn’t have any issues with Neves signing a new contract with a reasonable release clause (something around £40m-£50m).

He has outgrown us and deserves to play at the very top. Just need some way of ensuring we get something resembling fair value when he does leave so we can reinvest properly.
So if he signed a contract today with your suggestion any club could come along and meet your valuation which is less than we are supposed to be asking now.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So if he signed a contract today with your suggestion any club could come along and meet your valuation which is less than we are supposed to be asking now.
You'd set the release clause to trigger at the end of the season, not immediately. But that's part of the compromise, you guarantee getting a decent fee over him going for nothing, but you don't get top price

Back
Top Bottom