Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Reaction score
Branding, merchandise and sponsorship mainly, and barely any of it will actually have anything to do with the football club, it'll just carry the emblem (then it's down to the money to make its way to the club through the rights of owning said emblem). The potential big money available though (and it's potentially huge) is still years away in my opinion
Exactly this.

The money might not be huge now, but the eSports market is rapidly growing and will be worth huge amounts in the future. We'll be very well placed to capitalise on this.

I don't get why people knock it. Fosun get criticised for not spending money we don't have, and yet when they try to create new revenue streams, in an attempt to reduce the gap to the big six, they get lambasted by the same people criticising them for not spending more!

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we could generate the following transfer pot;

Adama £18m
MGW £23m (as reported)
Sanderson £4m

with a retained Profit of £20m that gives us £65m - but keeping Neves

£39m is roughly 45m euros which would be enough for Nunes, £6m (about 8m euros) for Seferovic, which leaves about £20m for a centre half - perhaps Collin's?

The team could look something like this;

Sa
Chiquinho, Kilman, Coady, Collins, Jonny
Neves, Nunes
Neto, Seferovic, Podence

Subs from
Jiminez
Moutinho (assuming he re-signs)
Semedo (when fit)
RAN
Sarkic
Fabio
Boly
Gomes
Mosquera
Dendoncker
Cundle
Hwang

Personally, I don't think that is too bad to be honest. I would prefer a better striker and not to have to play Chiquinho as a wing back but I think that is more than enough to stay up. A fit Neto and the quality of Nunes should be enough to score more goals you would hope.
My god man...you are postulating that we may sign 3 players for the first team.....
Nurse, get this patient his medication...

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If this week ends up with Palhinia joining Fulham, MGW asking to go to Forest and there being no further sign of any Wolves incomings, I'd dread to imagine the state of Twitter/facebook? Will be a bloodbath. Probably won't be too pretty on here either tbf.
A bloodbath.. By jumped up self entitled keyboard warriors
We need good business not a scatter gun approach.

Reaction score
Psychologically Wolves have got this transfer window all wrong with so many departures and loans before anyone comes in, just makes everyone really nervous.
We're operating at 72 percent wages to turnover currently. That needs to come down to 70 percent or below to comply with uefa's new ffp rules.

The money is there for transfers but wages have to come down first.

You can blame uefa for that.

Dingle Chris

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Exactly this.

The money might not be huge now, but the eSports market is rapidly growing and will be worth huge amounts in the future. We'll be very well placed to capitalise on this.

I don't get why people knock it. Fosun get criticised for not spending money we don't have, and yet when they try to create new revenue streams, in an attempt to reduce the gap to the big six, they get lambasted by the same people criticising them for not spending more!
I’m pretty sure your wrong on this. That money will never show in WWFC’s accounts. It will not benefit us in one bit or help our FFP etc. It’s a nice little spin off for Fosun using the Wolves brand to push another revenue stream for Fosun sports group. Happy to be proved wrong.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While I can see that MGW may represent good business, I would rather that we were looking to buy players of his ilk than letting them go.

Yes he's unproven at this level, but did put in good performances in the shirt and you could see that he really enjoyed playing for his hometown club.

For one, it's not about selling MGW (even though I will be unhappy to see him leave Wolves given he is a Staffordian) it's more that we're not linked with players like him, those that excel in the Championship and can make the jump to the Prem.

I've said it many times (and it bears repeating on the transfer thread of the same name), that looking solely at players from a certain region is OK, but there has to be a widening of the net at some point.

To compound this, if we're selling players (or intend to) that we have developed and are arguably good enough to be in and around the first time, what does that say about our pathway for academy prospects?

I guess it really comes down to whether he wants to be here or not. I'm not blaming the club, but given his potential, I feel that we should be looking to develop players like him, rather than moving them on.

He's not even the one that Wolves wanted to sell (Neves) and now it starts to appear (whether true or not) that we are desperate to sell as we are to buy.

That's a strange position for a PL club to be in.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this.

Bang on. I don’t understand the hostility to it either. What’s the big deal?
Wolves are trying to raise revenue by thinking outside the box and it may be profitable.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Branding, merchandise and sponsorship mainly, and barely any of it will actually have anything to do with the football club, it'll just carry the emblem (then it's down to the money to make its way to the club through the rights of owning said emblem). The potential big money available though (and it's potentially huge) is still years away in my opinion
With respect, just like the rest of us, I don't think you know how any profits from eSports is going to find its way into the books of the football club.

If Fosun, the investment company, want to bankroll Wolves they will. But for whatever reason the evidence of the past 3 years shows that they won't.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this.

How do you know Wolves will capitalise from it?

I'm genuinely asking. As far as I can see Jeff Shi says Wolves are their own thing, so esports is it's own thing as well. Fosun have the money now if they want. Travel, medicine, and loads more, why is this going to be different?

I see it as a new revenue stream for them, not us.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff shi was trending yesterday

Honestly it's just going to keep boiling until we get more than one incoming, one won't help we need multiple
I'm a pretty calm guy, and I understand what we are trying to do (even if I'd rather we were more ambitious), but I can totally understand peoples anxieties right now. Its been a few seasons coming. We've had a number of poor-avg at best windows now on the spin, there's talk around of us needing to bring in cash before we can sign anyone and we don't seem to have a lot of real urgency from the outside looking in (though I can appreciate things might well be happening behind the scenes). This is of course not to mention just how dismal we were in those final 3 months of the season. It just paints something of a worrying picture as things stand.

I guess in recent months we've all been talking about how important this window would be and how much the squad needed bolstering and a real injection of energy/quality. I would have said 3 players minimum (a CM, CB and CF) if we'd let no-one go and brought MGW back, but realistically I can' see that there is any way we will be bringing in more than 3 or 4 total, and it doesn't look like these will be targets from the A list either? I guess wouldn't be surprised at all to see Lage with his work severely cut out come August tbh, but I'll live in hope that this is just the calm before the storm.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well that’s 4 fb/wing backs gone plus Saiss and Ruddy without a single incoming .Who is next through the door?
I can't see how Lage is sanctioning this without having a plan in place? Surely he must be apprised of the outgoings as much as having input for the incomings.

Read this morning that Ten Hag only has £100M to spend. ONLY!!!! Imagine what Wolves could do with that.

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
Exactly this.

Do we know how much revenue exactly is being brought in by eSports? It always gets talked about how this is a different path to create revenue streams at the club, but I've never seen a specific monetary amount discussed around here. I imagine it has to be in the financial information they've released.

I can't understand why eSports is so popular, but I recognize that it is and that it can't hurt to build the Wolves brand and explore unique ways to create revenue streams. But Wolves eSports team has about 15K followers on their social media channels, which feels like a very small number. Again - not against alternative revenue streams, but I have a hard time believing our eSports involvement is going to bridge any sort of financial gap between us and the big spenders in the PL.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A bloodbath.. By jumped up self entitled keyboard warriors
We need good business not a scatter gun approach.
Well yes people venting criticisms/frustrations at the club (and one another), not a literal bloodbath. Some will be ******** keyboard warriors but many won't be. We've been asking for good business for a few years now tbh? I think we've been pretty patient and understanding on the whole. There's been some e.g. Sa, but there has been quite a bit of scattergun has there not?

*By scattergun I was thinking of us loaning out Traore, committing to buying Hwang in Jan, last ditch bids for Sanches/Botman and Kamara

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do we know how much revenue exactly is being brought in by eSports? It always gets talked about how this is a different path to create revenue streams at the club, but I've never seen a specific monetary amount discussed around here. I imagine it has to be in the financial information they've released.

I can't understand why eSports is so popular, but I recognize that it is and that it can't hurt to build the Wolves brand and explore unique ways to create revenue streams. But Wolves eSports team has about 15K followers on their social media channels, which feels like a very small number. Again - not against alternative revenue streams, but I have a hard time believing our eSports involvement is going to bridge any sort of financial gap between us and the big spenders in the PL.
Sorry, I don't know the figures either. To be honest I have no interest in gaming as a fifty year old bloke, I'm just aware that it's one of the fastest growing industries around.

Hopefully one of our younger members could weigh in.

Apparently some of the games attract huge audiences via twitch. Once a way is found to monetise that kind of interest via advertising etc, the revenues will be massive.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this.

If you were an investor without any preference to football or esports or holiday resorts or pharmaceuticals or anything else other than maximising your wealth and earnings - and you found that esports was more profitable than say football - why then would you divert funds from a more profitable area of your empire to support a less profitable one?

The theme we hear is all about esports being a little gem that will somehow support this bigger more "expensive and risky" football business that may not be as profitable.

Has this happened yet?

Or has, in fact, the esports business actually fed off a brand that was years upon years in the making by the football arm to gain a foothold?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this.

You're absolutely wrong, has to be said, also eSports really isn't that profitable and has far to many variables to be a consistent earner, few players are actually in for more than 3-5 years, the turnover is so high.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Any funding is welcome but we need to get real here if we think that this may be anything but a very, very long term contributor to our income as it appears, currently, we are funding esports. The positive is it gets Wolves name into a new arena but in footbal terms we are currently Bloxwich Combination Sunday league... will anyone be interested?

The thing is, whilst we may be amongst the first football teams to show an interest in esports we aren't at the forefront of e-sports we are very much catching up. The real ramp in e-sports started in 1999 and the top ten teams began from that point onwards - the top ten teams have have 700,000+ followers and some very nice sponsors. The top several teams have won prizemoney totalling 30,000,000 + each in the entire years they have been in existence (as far as I can see).

The top teams seem to be competing in non football related games such as Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Dota 2, League of Legends, and Overwatch so I quite wonder how interested gamers will be in football. Their sponsors are huge names such and Honda, BMW etc, etc and if they wanted to pour money into football then they could.

I think Wolves FC are funding the e-sports venture and it spreads the brand and Fosun name, quite how much we get out of it over and above publicity I struggle to see.

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure your wrong on this. That money will never show in WWFC’s accounts. It will not benefit us in one bit or help our FFP etc. It’s a nice little spin off for Fosun using the Wolves brand to push another revenue stream for Fosun sports group. Happy to be proved wrong.

The brand issue was something I posted about when all this change happened, still do not know who actually owns the wolf head now.

As for monies generated by esports etc. that would go onto Fosun Sports company books not WWFC surely.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're absolutely wrong, has to be said, also eSports really isn't that profitable and has far to many variables to be a consistent earner, few players are actually in for more than 3-5 years, the turnover is so high.
Its still largely deregulated. So lots of potential for gambling and 'manipulation of results' though which may interest those looking to make money.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely, even the players will be mentally drained knowing a long season of burden is on them again. I don't why people seem rather complacent when we've seen this happen to numerous teams over the years, with a really prominent example of Burnley last season. Stagnation breeds contempt.
On hols in benidorm right now, been talking to couple Burnley fans , he asked about Raul injury etc. etc. They all agree fabulous player , but is he same?blah blah. Asked about who we are buying etc, dunno I said .Where you gonna finish blah blah ? Dunno ..... mid table ish I said. They said they hate the Premier, battling relegation every year is one big grind. Guy behind bar saw my wolves too, ...Barca man, what's happening with Adama ? Dunno I said. We are all in the dark. The mix are concerned about things though lol. He drew a blank at that lol. Private joke I said lol.

Reaction score
If you were an investor without any preference to football or esports or holiday resorts or pharmaceuticals or anything else other than maximising your wealth and earnings - and you found that esports was more profitable than say football - why then would you divert funds from a more profitable area of your empire to support a less profitable one?

The theme we hear is all about esports being a little gem that will somehow support this bigger more "expensive and risky" football business that may not be as profitable.

Has this happened yet?

Or has, in fact, the esports business actually fed off a brand that was years upon years in the making by the football arm to gain a foothold?
Are you saying that eSports might one day be bigger than football? Are you suggesting that fosun might one day see eSports as a more important investment? Sorry, just trying to understand your point better.

Fosun are not diverting Funds from the club in any way shape or form though as far as I can see, quite the opposite in fact.

Reaction score
Its still largely deregulated. So lots of potential for gambling and 'manipulation of results' though which may interest those looking to make money.
. That's a very cynical point of view.

I guess you're right though, I'd guess the bigger it gets the bigger the need would be for regulation

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any funding is welcome but we need to get real here if we think that this may be anything but a very, very long term contributor to our income as it appears, currently, we are funding esports. The positive is it gets Wolves name into a new arena but in footbal terms we are currently Bloxwich Combination Sunday league... will anyone be interested?

The thing is, whilst we may be amongst the first football teams to show an interest in esports we aren't at the forefront of e-sports we are very much catching up. The real ramp in e-sports started in 1999 and the top ten teams began from that point onwards - the top ten teams have have 700,000+ followers and some very nice sponsors. The top several teams have won prizemoney totalling 30,000,000 + each in the entire years they have been in existence (as far as I can see).

The top teams seem to be competing in non football related games such as Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Dota 2, League of Legends, and Overwatch so I quite wonder how interested gamers will be in football. Their sponsors are huge names such and Honda, BMW etc, etc and if they wanted to pour money into football then they could.

I think Wolves FC are funding the e-sports venture and it spreads the brand and Fosun name, quite how much we get out of it over and above publicity I struggle to see.
The train has left the station on that front, and as noted there are so many variables on eSports that it is not a realistic revenue stream as compared to say a league position.

Back
Top Bottom