Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When is our first game and when does pre season start?
Ideally it would be great to have everything in place before preseason but it may not happen that way.
Whats more important to me is that Jeff and Bruno are satisfied before the season starts.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did I say anything to the contrary?

No.

So off the soap box.
You implied, yes implied that the model is indeed a poor one with a lack of ambition.... You know you did, the ones liking my post know you did.

No soapbox my friend. Just a realistic view which sadly for mnay doesn't criticise the club. How crazy of me not to be critical.... Strike me down! ;)

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You implied, yes implied that the model is indeed a poor one with a lack of ambition.... You know you did, the ones liking my post know you did.

No soapbox my friend. Just a realistic view which sadly for mnay doesn't criticise the club. How crazy of me not to be critical.... Strike me down! ;)
We just had a thread closed for this overlitigious baiting. Stop.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No, the only viewpoint I've held on the Wolves model is that the long term it is not sustainable at all.

Never once mentioned ambition, albeit my major concern is that you soon run out of players to entice.

So no, you incorrectly assumed.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ideally it would be great to have everything in place before preseason but it may not happen that way.
Whats more important to me is that Jeff and Bruno are satisfied before the season starts.
Given that one of them has to make a profit for his superiors in China, and the other one works for him then I would be surprised if both of them didn't say they were satisfied.

They may say it would have been nice to sign X or Y but due to circumstances we couldn't quite make it happen, but we tried.

More important question would be... are any of us legacy fans here in the UK remotely satisfied with what we go to watch.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, the only viewpoint I've held on the Wolves model is that the long term it is not sustainable at all.

Never once mentioned ambition, albeit my major concern is that you soon run out of players to entice.

So no, you incorrectly assumed.
OK

;)

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We just had a thread closed for this overlitigious baiting. Stop.
I'm lauding the club as a positive as I'm amazed how many bitter twisted views there are given how on the whole weve been very successful in building the club.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given that one of them has to make a profit for his superiors in China, and the other one works for him then I would be surprised if both of them didn't say they were satisfied.

They may say it would have been nice to sign X or Y but due to circumstances we couldn't quite make it happen, but we tried.

More important question would be... are any of us legacy fans here in the UK remotely satisfied with what we go to watch.
Last two seasons were horrible to watch and after last season, I have very little confidence in Bruno.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Based on 140 character tweets and click bait sites we are amateurish and an embarrassment? We are often linked to players who we have absolutely no interest in, I think Jeff has confirmed this previously. So because an agent or click bait site says we’re interested and we we don’t sign them because we’re not it makes us look bad.

With regard to Fernandez I am sure we knew the situation but also knew there was a chance and so we gambled. It didn’t pay off, it happens. I am sure someone was criticising us for sending our head of recruitment rather than a club legend like Benfica did. I am fairly confident that we do not have the same stature of club legends who will be known to a 21 year Argentinian. Not sure Billy would quite cut it. The other thing people forget is that Hobbs might actually have several targets/meetings lined up and Fernandez was just an opportune gamble whilst he was in country. Those who have done business abroad will recognise this.

I am sure we will be linked to other players that won’t come off. In fact every club is linked with players who go somewhere else or don’t leave their selling club for a wide variety of reasons. Like buying a house, car or any item from an auction you’re likely to face competition for what you want unless you’re buying rubbish. Sometimes people will pay more than you are willing to on these items.

Fans have long memories for negative news and short memories for positive news about Wolves. People continually bang on about Botman and Sanches and our ‘failure’ there but as far as I can see Lille have played silly buggers with all of the potential suitors, we were just the first. Not surprisingly we haven’t been back there. Up until 2017 we were of absolutely no interest to the rumour mongers on Twitter and click bait sites. We were linked to bang average championship players at best and we faced little competition from anyone for the players we wanted to sign because we were a bang average championship club, with an average squad and very average owners. The thought of even being linked to a £40m player would 5 years ago have seemed ludicrous considering the clubs turnover in 2016/17 was £23.6m.
Perhaps a bit of investment in PR where we control reported events should be employed

Asthmatic Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In the best league in the world where we've finished in the top half more than the bottom in our recent time in it

Awful, just Awful....

Boo Fosun out!!

Some of us need to get a grip we really do!

Long gone are the days where we were the proclaimed big fish in the 2nd tier yet I feel some believe we really have more clout than we really do when attracting players in from abroad. We are no more attractive than Palace, Leicester, West ham, Brighton to a degree, certainly not Newcastle now, Leeds even, villa or Everton.
Yes and the Titanic was a lovely journey until it hit an iceberg ;)

I’m terms of players, I agree with your assessment of where we are now. The shame of it is that at a lower level when we had a progressive project (and a closer uncle Jorge) we were attracting talents like Neves and Moutinho, without these top half PL finishes as a selling point. Sadly this says it all about the management of the club.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the best league in the world where we've finished in the top half more than the bottom in our recent time in it

Awful, just Awful....

Boo Fosun out!!

Long gone are the days where we were the proclaimed big fish in the 2nd tier yet I feel some believe we really have more clout than we really do when attracting players in from abroad. We are no more attractive than Palace, Leicester, West ham, Brighton to a degree, certainly not Newcastle now, Leeds even, villa or Everton.

I don’t think many of us have criticised what Wolves have achieved since Fosun took over, or called for Fosun to leave. While it’s true that compared to the wealthiest clubs we remain a level below in what we can offer, what you can’t explain is why we appear unable to sign quality senior players now, when it appears we could before when in the second tier, or as newly promoted and unproven at this level? It’s not like we are trying to sign players better than Neves or Jota and struggling against the competition, but that it appears we can no longer sign players of comparable quality to those we signed before.

The simple reason is that Fosun are no longer investing new capital into the club, and as a result, we have to operate within the financial envelope of our turnover and operating costs. That affects the fees we can pay, the wages we can offer, and the ability to buy before selling. That makes our business dependent on successful sales of players like Traore and Neves, and if we can’t sell them for decent fees, we simply don’t have the funds to strengthen the squad.

Now I’m a long time Wolves fan who is happy, because of our history, that we are not racking up debts like many other clubs. However it comes with its own risks, one of which, is that we leave the squad so threadbare that we get into a relegation scrap eventually. If that happens, sustainability goes back out of the window, and all this careful management counts for nothing. From a lower base of squad ability, we had that happen last time we were up with Morgan in charge. So we are looking for evidence the club recognises this risk, and is taking reasonable steps to ensure our squad remains at least as competitive as it has been since promotion, and is capable of getting its business done.

That’s neither unreasonable nor panicking.

Last edited:

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd love both, but I'm perfectly happy for MGW to be given the chance to be our man. As for defence, I've lost confidence in Boly but I feel we have adequate cover. I was outspoken in my 'meh'ness towards Saiss. He had a brilliant 1st half of last season, but then he started channelling his inner me and was ****e. I hope we transition away from a 5 to a 4atb but, if we don't, Coady, Boly, Kilman is as good as anything outside the top 6 imo.

It's just the paucity of attacking options that scares me. Well, maybe not options, but actual goal threats. Hwang hasn't worked out but, ala Wolves, we are going to keep holding on to him, it seems. No shame in a bad transfer, just move them on and replace them. Podence, Neto, Jimenez, Hwang are good on paper. They just don't combine for enough goals in reality though. Until we fix that, I think we are always going to be hamstrung

Thats a very contradictory post :)
On one hand you say youve lost confidence in Boly ( I agree) but then state he would make up a back 3 as good as anything outside the top 6? ( I strongly disagree) .
You state Hwang was a mistake and should be replaced then name him along with our other ( no scoring ) forwards as good on paper?....

Anyway, we've needed to strengthen/ have different options in CB, CM and striker for the last couple of seasons ( first XI ) that still applies, until we do we won't progress from midtable mediocrity.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Awful, just Awful....

Boo Fosun out!!

Actually agree with most of this. But that said, as fans we should be always demanding more regardless of whether we get it or not.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The window is still open

Something like this would cheer the fans up

CB -Nathan Collins -25m
CB -Mbemba -free transfer
CM -Xeka -free transfer
CM -Martim Neto -free transfer
CM -Almedia -8m
CF -Berterame -free transfer
CF -Arezo -7m

Sell
Dendoncker 15m
Adama 15m
Jordao 5m
Cutrone 5m

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I don’t think many of us have criticised what Wolves have achieved since Fosun took over, or called for Fosun to leave. While it’s true that compared to the wealthiest clubs we remain a level below in what we can offer, what you can’t explain is why we appear unable to sign quality senior players now, when it appears we could before when in the second tier, or as newly promoted and unproven at this level? It’s not like we are trying to sign players better than Neves or Jota and struggling against the competition, but that it appears we can no longer sign players of comparable quality to those we signed before.

The simple reason is that Fosun are no longer investing new capital into the club, and as a result, we have to operate within the financial envelope of our turnover and operating costs. That affects the fees we can pay, the wages we can offer, and the ability to buy before selling. That makes our business dependent on successful sales of players like Traore and Neves, and if we can’t sell them for decent fees, we simply don’t have the funds to strengthen the squad.

Now I’m a long time Wolves fan who is happy, because of our history, that we are not racking up debts like many other clubs. However it comes with its own risks, one of which, is that we leave the squad so threadbare that we get into a relegation scrap eventually. If that happens, sustainability goes back out of the window, and all this careful management counts for nothing. From a lower base of squad ability, we had that happen last time we were up with Morgan in charge. So we are looking for evidence the club recognises this risk, and is taking reasonable steps to ensure our squad remains at least as competitive as it has been since promotion, and is capable of getting its business done.

That’s neither unreasonable nor panicking.
Great analysis

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats a very contradictory post :)
On one hand you say youve lost confidence in Boly ( I agree) but then state he would make up a back 3 as good as anything outside the top 6? ( I strongly disagree) .
You state Hwang was a mistake and should be replaced then name him along with our other ( no scoring ) forwards as good on paper?....

Anyway, we've needed to strengthen/ have different options in CB, CM and striker for the last couple of seasons ( first XI ) that still applies, until we do we won't progress from midtable mediocrity.
Reading it back, it is! In my defence, I was drinking heavily last night!

De Wolfs Mullet

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The window is still open

CB -Nathan Collins -25m
CM -Xeka -free transfer
CM -Almedia -8m
CF -Arezo -7m

Sell
Dendoncker 15m
Adama 15m
Jordao 5m
Cutrone 5m
£5m for Cutrone? I wish! Sadly I think we will be lucky to even get half that.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am becoming more and more convinced that the reason we aren't signing Palhinha isn't that Neves isn't going- it's to protect Coady's place in the team.

In a World Cup year, the Club Captain being dropped in the three months leading up to it is almost unthinkable and they just won't do it.

I am fully expecting us to just play 352 with MGW taking the Trincao role. And, to be fair, I don't think that team gets relegated.

LINEUP111656049267136.png

But wouldn't it be so much more fun if we just bought a Palhinha-type and a Collins-type and went 433?

LINEUP111656047974374.png

Wolf_Words

Reaction score
I am becoming more and more convinced that the reason we aren't signing Palhinha isn't that Neves isn't going- it's to protect Coady's place in the team.

In a World Cup year, the Club Captain being dropped in the three months leading up to it is almost unthinkable and they just won't do it.

I am fully expecting us to just play 352 with MGW taking the Trincao role. And, to be fair, I don't think that team gets relegated.

View attachment 28515

But wouldn't it be so much more fun if we just bought a Palhinha-type and a Collins-type and went 433?

View attachment 28516

Makes a lot of sense, wouldn’t it be nice to have both options. That 3-5-2 team is still a strong side that top teams consistently struggle to score against but it failed to undo Norwich on three occasions last season. Bruno hasn’t been afraid to sub Coady when we are chasing a result, but as you suggest, there aren’t enough options for him to go to for a change when we need it.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 28515

View attachment 28516
No teams transfer policy should never, ever, be based on the need to protect a player's place in team. That, IMHO, is a recipe for under achievement.

Last edited:

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Im kinda expecting to see some movement today before we go into the weekend and pre season starting next week. I live in hope anyway...

T

TheConcourse

View attachment 28515

View attachment 28516
Get the thesis, but I don’t think that’s true. I don’t think we’re going to sacrifice a season just for Coady to go on holiday.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im kinda expecting to see some movement today before we go into the weekend and pre season starting next week. I live in hope anyway...
I fully expect a day of me repeatedly checking on here and on twitter for transfer news and there being nothing but tumbleweed. Rarely disappointed lol

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The window is still open

CB -Nathan Collins -25m
CM -Xeka -free transfer
CM -Almedia -8m
CF -Arezo -7m

Sell
Dendoncker 15m
Adama 15m
Jordao 5m
Cutrone 5m
It’s not football manager.
Players are bought, not sold.
Dendonker is criminally undervalued both for his versatility and talent.
You’ll be lucky to get £2.50 for cutrone.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Newcastle have made two signings which I think are quite underwhelming, considering how much money they allegedly have.

It’s only villa at our level who have made some signings through necessity.

Back
Top Bottom