Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Argggh that sucks

10m plus addons, didnt even trigger his release.

Hobbs, practically bagged and kicked out the door, *stupid english* - i jest.

But this is a miss hopefully leads us to other targets
What River Plate did do though is get to keep him until Jan and retain 25% of his economic rights. Unlike here l believe partial or co-ownership of a player is allowed in Portugal. If for example he is a big success and goes to say Real Madrid for £80M in a few years that either means a further £20M for River Plate downstream or they keep ownership of the 25% (l'm unsure what the rules in Spain are).

Last edited:

modenawolf

Reaction score
Not really.
Not alot we could do about it if he didn't want to play for us.
Also, and I might be mistaken, but it seems River Plate retaining 25% of his rights was also an important factor in the deal.

And, I think, this would have been impossible for Wolves to offer because of the Premier League rules relating to third-party ownership.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldnt agree more.
Me three. If being able to discus our transfer strategy on a Summer transfer thread is not acceptable and only links/rumours to players is, then it will be a short thread.
Surely it's not only whom we are linked to, but the quality of player, how we will attract players and how they will be remunerated, how we will sell Wolves to that player etc...... that is equally important.
Accept that everyone should post with respect and courtesy, but to limit the discussion to whom without the whys and wherefores defeats the object. In my very humble opinion, of course.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What River Plate did do though is get to keep him until Jan and retain 25% of his economic rights. Unlike here l believe partial ownership of a player is allowed in Portugal. If for example he is a big success and goes to say Real Madrid for £80M in a few years that either means a further £20M for River Plate downstream or they keep ownership of the 25% (l'm unsure what the rules in Spain are).

It would just become a 25% sell on clause here, like with RAN. So in itself shouldn't have scuppered a deal. Can't blame the lad for choosing Benfica, mind.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What River Plate did do though is get to keep him until Jan and retain 25% of his economic rights. Unlike here l believe partial ownership of a player is allowed in Portugal. If for example he is a big success and goes to say Real Madrid for £80M in a few years that either means a further £20M for River Plate downstream or they keep ownership of the 25% (l'm unsure what the rules in Spain are).

Oh yes completely, dont think it was ever a plausible option, hobbs while out there, has suggested, they have said no to our terms, we dont waste our time bidding. But nice for one of these links to actually come to something. Onto the next one, fernandez in 2024/2045 on to a major player club.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would just become a 25% sell on clause here, like with RAN. So in itself shouldn't have scuppered a deal. Can't blame the lad for choosing Benfica, mind.
River Plate might see benefit in 25% ownership rather than a simple sell-on clause. In all honesty l don't know enough about the issue to understand exactly what that might be though. It might be as simple as trying to avoid the sort of crap that Blues pulled on us when Wayne Clarke went to Everton.

Edited to add:
The attached are old but may be of interest.

Last edited:

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have no idea what I can post where anymore to be honest. It's becoming a joke, why not leave people to discuss what they want. As long as it's not abusive or illegal. We are all adults discussing wolves related topics.
I agree with Mutchy despite joining in yesterday. Most of the posts are whining and back biting. See you all in a few weeks

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're more than entitled to your POV, and it's as valid as mine or anyone else's. No problem!

It's just that people have made these general points time and again on the previous thread, and they were flogged to death on there.

Sorry but I can't see the point of continually regurgitating the same old arguments - positive and negative - because they do no more than provoke the tiresome arguments that we've witnessed all too often since the transfer window thread opened, and which led to it being closed.
The problem with this is that points of views change with changing circumstances and also, without reading back over 280 odd pages; I have no idea if the point I am making has been made 'time and again'. I realise that arguments have been raised over the past few months, but not whether mine had!
Not wishing to provoke anyone, but just to make a point that seems currently valid regarding the discussion.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nothing really new here is there, just rehashing what is out there

I’m skeptical about nunes seems another one who will most likely say no or is waiting for a the big team to come in

As I haven’t read the article I’m interested in what he says about Cundle, I know the club has done some questionable things but surely a loan only if we get 1/2 cms in

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I haven’t read the article I’m interested in what he says about Cundle, I know the club has done some questionable things but surely a loan only if we get 1/2 cms in
You start getting into a debate about what is best for the player and for the club. The two aren't always the same.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’re disappointingly down the food chain aren’t we. We’re meant to be able to buy from the top Portuguese teams not play second fiddle to them. Seems like we are not attractive and can’t compete….god that’s depressing

To be fair, we've only ever taken fringe players from Benfica or Porto. We've never signed anyone that's a regular fixture for either of them, perhaps Neves aside because of the FFP issues Porto were having at the time.

We don't offer European football, so we can't compete for the top tier talents in Europe or South America. Last summer we were repeatedly having issues convincing players to sign for us so this is nothing new. I used to get excited when we got linked with top players, but 99% of them over the last two transfer windows have resulted in nothing. Something needs to change.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We send a bloke who isn't even in the first ten Matthew Hobbs' when you search on LinkedIn.
You have a point, but the reason he probably isn't in that Top 10 is because he's Mathew Hobbs, not Matthew Hobbs (subtle difference I know, but probably significant when it comes to search results on LinkedIn).

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would be more worried if we weren’t considering sending Cundle out on loan as that would mean we haven’t bought anyone and I don’t think Cundle is ready yet.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RE Enzo, i see us as seeing an opportunity, and trying to convince him to come now. we wont pay it without being able to register him until January if he wants to stay, dont think we could have done much more in this case tbh

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, we've only ever taken fringe players from Benfica or Porto. We've never signed anyone that's a regular fixture for either of them, perhaps Neves aside because of the FFP issues Porto were having at the time.

We don't offer European football, so we can't compete for the top tier talents in Europe or South America. Last summer we were repeatedly having issues convincing players to sign for us so this is nothing new. I used to get excited when we got linked with top players, but 99% of them over the last two transfer windows have resulted in nothing. Something needs to change.
Make sure we make a real, concerted, effort to qualify for Europe ?

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
I’m a bit confused with the possibility of Cundle going out on loan.

I thought Sellars said they didn’t want/need to sign another midfielder as it would prevent Cundles pathway into the first team?

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I’m a bit confused with the possibility of Cundle going out on loan.

I thought Sellars said they didn’t want/need to sign another midfielder as it would prevent Cundles pathway into the first team?

Maybe it could indicate other options coming to give him consistent football it’s what he needs really as do most young players

Think maybe league 1/lower champ would be ideal maybe

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have a point, but the reason he probably isn't in that Top 10 is because he's Mathew Hobbs, not Matthew Hobbs (subtle difference I know, but probably significant when it comes to search results on LinkedIn).
I did actually use the correct spelling when I googled him, but you make a great point - that's even worse - he can't spell his own name properly or his parents chose a name spelling that will be circumvented by search engine algorithms, either are preposterous!

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
Maybe it could indicate other options coming to give him consistent football it’s what he needs really as do most young players
That was the point I was subtly trying to make.

They should have signed a new midfielder and sent Cundle out on loan yet the reason given by Sellars for not buying in a new midfielder.

De Wolfs Mullet

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Whilst I agree that our recent recruitment strategy has been... we'll, pathetic, and that the project is as dead as the Kennedys, I think that it might be a little early to give up and buy a season ticket at Walsall.

On the plus side, we still have some good exciting young players. Chiquinho, Ait Nouri, Neto, and Neves isn't exactly in his prime yet.

We also have a few players that could raise a decent transfer fee... if only we could find a home for them.

My point is, if we could target the right players, young and hungry, those that would be keen to join a Premier league side and fight for a place as opposed to those that think they could do better and demand european football, then we would do a lot better.

The standard of portugese football is very good and there is a production line of talent. We offer a safe, high profile, home for young lads that want to develop further.

So Sellars, please, forget Brazilian ego maniacs and Argentinian superstars. Go get Andre Almeida, Paulo Bernardo and Goncalo Ramos.
Top post. Agree with all of it.

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not getting Palhinha for that price is a huge mistake.

Is it? Sounds like (per Athletic) we could be keeping Neves instead. I know some would love both but how good actually is he? Seems that Fulham appear unopposed - unsual if he's the real deal.

Not saying he isnt, but perhaps he's not the Messiah?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it? Sounds like (per Athletic) we could be keeping Neves instead. I know some would love both but how good actually is he? Seems that Fulham appear unopposed - unsual if he's the real deal.

Not saying he isnt, but perhaps he's not the Messiah?
They're not unopposed. We've been after him for years, including this summer, as reported by several media outlets including Fabrizio Romano.

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Good deal for Benfica, but they’re letting him stay and play with River, somethings that we were not prepared to do.

Too right. 17m for somebody who isn't going to join us now? No thanks.

As good as he may be we need someone now. Not as embarrassing as some make out, we simply need players now and not later.

Andi130

Reaction score
Too right. 17m for somebody who isn't going to join us now? No thanks.

As good as he may be we need someone now. Not as embarrassing as some make out, we simply need players now and not later.

Absolutely agree, 100%. Also run the risk of injury with him staying there. Imagine if he does an ACL between now and December......Slim chance perhaps, but the risk is too great for me. On to the next one, whomever that may be!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Make sure we make a real, concerted, effort to qualify for Europe ?

Chickens and eggs. We need the players good enough to qualify for Europe , to actually qualify for Europe. And no, I don't think our squad is good enough. We are in a similar position to many outside the big 6. Our best first 11 can give anyone a match on their day. But with injuries, form dips etc, we struggle once you dig deeper past that first 11.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Imagine the uproar if we had spent 17m on this guy and he didn't play until January

As players usually improve in fans eyes, simply by not playing, he would be the next Messi by the time he made his debut!

Back
Top Bottom