Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yet the reverse argument os used to defend the lack of transfers. "We can't our business to what others are doing " has been spouted countless times as other clubs have been strengthening key areas.

I don't care what others do as few other clubs have as urgent needs as us, due to neglect in previous windows.

I get what you're saying but i think its too basic a view. We have spent big money in recent years it's just where it has been spent. You and I would both have liked say another top level midfielder, but its not realistic for a club of our size to do that financially, and who as an up and coming type player would come to at best be 4th choice. The truth is we did sign one in that mould, Bruno Jordao, but he got a bad injury and then needed loans out to get back to where he was. Not the recruitment teams fault he got a bad injury.

You might dismiss him because he's not featured much, but he and Neto cost nearly £30 mill between them. Then theres the money we spent/gambled on Fabio when we'd already splashed the season before on Cutrone, and we spent money on Bonatini and Campana. Thats £60 mill plus on strikers who either aren't here or don't score or both. Yes those moves haven't been successful, but the argument that theres been neglect doesnt stand up. We have spent money, we've just made errors in how we've spent it, everyone does that.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shi and Sellars are not the inspiring captains that we need for our ship. Do prospective new players chat with them and sense their emptiness and maybe desperation? Is Wolverhampton not a desirable place to move to for them?? Things have stalled badly since Shi "took overall control and influence" and Jorge Mendes has gone very quiet. We need to stop the nonsense of signing "players with potential etc" and then farm them out to Grasshoppers. Our focus should be on our own team and manager, who needs backing. Every passing day of late shows me that my worries for the coming season are totally justified. Are we trying to sell Neves for big bucks first and then and only then, spend a few quid..?? The apparent inertia at our club is of great concern.
You forget, we have Hobbsy who, according to Sellars is "really good at selling the club".

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't care what others do as few other clubs have as urgent needs as us, due to neglect in previous windows.

It doesn't matter how urgent our need is, if the selling club don't want to sell yet or the player doesn't want to move until after his holidays.

Every single manager in the league will have wanted incomings sorted out ASAP, but it's only really Villa and Liverpool who have multiple significant deals done, and Haaland at City.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the renan story i mentioned earlier

lympique de Marseille hopes to complete the departures of seven players: Alvaro Gonzalez, Pol Lirola, Jordan Amavi, Luis Henrique, Duje Caleta-Car, Kevin Strootman and Nemanja Radonjic!

Also if we are still keen on caleta-car he is available

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
So why did Bruno make his public statement about wanting all his signings in place before pre-season training (or whatever it is he actually said)?
Possibly To put pressure on the club to back him, then if they don’t he can quit and say look, I wasn’t backed by the club, if I was in his shoes and I wasn’t backed again this window I would quit the day after the window closed with my reputation in tact rather than get sacked a few months into the season when the results are poor because people above me haven’t done their jobs correctly his reputation would be much worse then in my view

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
palhinha to fulham is still on for friday, but hes not happy with the contract because of relgations clauses, salary drops,

out of Portugal today

Given that Fulhams last 3 promotions have all resulted in instant relegation, it's strange that any really good player would be considering joining them right now. They could survive, of course. But realistically, that has to be the less likely outcome. Perhaps he's thinking one season in the PL shop window then looking to jump ship when Fulham get the almost inevitable relegation? Why not go to a club already esablished in the league? Maybe he's just not all that good.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given that Fulhams last 3 promotions have all resulted in instant relegation, it's strange that any really good player would be considering joining them right now. They could survive, of course. But realistically, that has to be the less likely outcome. Perhaps he's thinking one season in the PL shop window then looking to jump ship when Fulham get the almost inevitable relegation? Why not go to a club already esablished in the league? Maybe he's just not all that good.

Marco silva factor

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks. I get your point. But to put it in perspective, Manbetx gave us £8m a year for shirt sponsorship, and our total advertising and sponsorship revenue was only £15m last year. That's equivalent to a Hwang a year.

If we finished top 6 we would have got more than that from broadcasting and league position revenue. And our brand would be worth much more. Money comes success on the pitch, not likes from gamers that don't understand football.

Yes, I agree. But if we grew our sponsorship brand value to match Chelsea, then our main shirt sponsor alone could be worth over £40m a year. That’s a Palhinha or Nunes ;)

Now I’m not naive in thinking that Wolves Music and our eSports activities will grow Wolves brand to that level alone, but it provides an example of the potential headroom if you can make progress.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. But if we grew our sponsorship brand value to match Chelsea, then our main shirt sponsor alone could be worth over £40m a year. That’s a Palhinha or Nunes ;)

Now I’m not naive in thinking that Wolves Music and our eSports activities will grow Wolves brand to that level alone, but it provides an example of the potential headroom if you can make progress.
Maybe when we have won the Premier league five times and the Champions league twice we can start thinking about that kind of sponsorship money. But it won't come from fans of esports.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last 15 games of the 2020/21 season:

Leeds were 7th, then very nearly got relegated this year
Man Utd were 4th (and just 1 point off 2nd) and then were a terrible for them 6th this year
Southampton were in the relegation zone, then stayed up comfortably this year
Arsenal were 2nd, then dropped to 5th this year

It really doesn't follow that teams continue the performance, even from as long a period of 15 games, which incidentally I presume has been chosen as the cut-off because it's the one that paints us in the worst light, rather than any other reason?
15 games is since the end of last transfer window. You could cut it a bit later if you wanted it to get worse.

W

WasStefan

“Brief update on #Wolves ; Im told the plan is still to bring in “at least “3-4 new players , with the priority being the spine : CB, CM & CF. They expect the market to accelerate during July. Couldnt siphon any info on Neves, Adama or MGW. Not much, but it’s all i have”

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe when we have won the Premier league five times and the Champions league twice we can start thinking about that kind of sponsorship money. But it won't come from fans of esports.
That’s the problem with not thinking about the problem creatively. You’re right, if we just focused on football alone, we would need that level of success and exposure. But brands can be grown in other ways, and that can help to lift the value faster than just waiting for success on the pitch. Especially when FFP has tried to close the door behind City to stop others buying their way into the top six.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“Brief update on #Wolves ; Im told the plan is still to bring in “at least “3-4 new players , with the priority being the spine : CB, CM & CF. They expect the market to accelerate during July. Couldnt siphon any info on Neves, Adama or MGW. Not much, but it’s all i have”
Cheers. Best best news for a while.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
15 games is since the end of last transfer window. You could cut it a bit later if you wanted it to get worse.

Ah! Well I think the worst possible cut would be the last 14 games (starting after beating Spurs and Leicester), so very little difference.

That doesn't really change the picture much, as on the last 14 the season before you still have Leeds being in European form, Man Utd being just 1 point worse than Liverpool (and only 2 worse than City) and Arsenal comfortably top 4, and all of their fortunes changed significantly.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

It's how you can tell the genuine updates from the made up.

The genuine ones don't fill the gaps in info with nonsense.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s the problem with not thinking about the problem creatively. You’re right, if we just focused on football alone, we would need that level of success and exposure. But brands can be grown in other ways, and that can help to lift the value faster than just waiting for success on the pitch. Especially when FFP has tried to close the door behind City to stop others buying their way into the top six.
You are right. And I am not trying to pick a fight, honest. Its just that if we do raise our profile enough to increase sponsorship, then it's still negligible revenue, and any money made from the new ventures doesn’t pass to the club.

My point is, happy for Shi to do this stuff, but not to sell it to as a way of closing the gap on the big 6. It's 'nice' but not addressing the problem. It is deflection.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players added to the first team, on wolves.co.uk

1656415429789.png

1656415452592.png
1656415466317.png
1656415481027.png
1656415492551.png

No Sarkic, but i dont know if he had his picture taken in the manbetx kit.

Only one keeper showing

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Can see it being the case of we keep neves but sell of mgw, Adama etc

I'd argue 3/4 isn't enough with the current outgoings

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I'm him I'm not signing unless I get a release clause in the event of relegation for the same fee as Fulham are paying. He's a regular in the Portugal squad and getting relegated will really harm that.

W

WasStefan

Can see it being the case of we keep neves but sell of mgw, Adama etc

I'd argue 3/4 isn't enough with the current outgoings
Hoever, MGW, Adama are deadwood. £35m for the the latter, invest in CB, CM and CF to compliment current squad and i’ll be happy.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hoever, MGW, Adama are deadwood. £35m for the the latter, invest in CB, CM and CF to compliment current squad and i’ll be happy.
We could potentially get £50 million for those plus a significant drop in wage bill
Should be enough to get 3/4 players in

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
PSG want to get rid of players to make space for new signings for the new DOF. Who is a Mendes client.

Wouldn't be surprised if we get some offcasts on loan even if they're paying a part of the wages.

Back
Top Bottom