Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reporters?…..gimme a break.
I‘d rather believe Bruno and Jeff, ( who actually know what the situation is at Wolves), who have said money is available.

You'd rather believe Jeff? Wow :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: who can believe anything that bull ****ter says? Believing in Jeff is like believing in Father Christmas.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'd rather believe Jeff? Wow :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: who can believe anything that bull ****ter says? Believing in Jeff is like believing in Father Christmas.
At the moment I think Jeff Shi couldn’t lie straight in bed. How do you know when he is lying? His lips move.

Utterly underwhelming window. Heading for the championship at this rate. Come on Jeff. Wake up and smell the coffee!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well if you think he’s a liar then show me when he did.

Real proof…..not what you think or you suppose or you dreamt or heard third hand.

Total proof…..that is, a certainty. Unequivocally a fact.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the moment I think Jeff Shi couldn’t lie straight in bed. How do you know when he is lying? His lips move.

Utterly underwhelming window. Heading for the championship at this rate. Come on Jeff. Wake up and smell the coffee!
Lol. You realize the window's been open for 48 hours?

CologneWolf

Reaction score
I agree with what you're saying, this is as good as it gets and I am not using that against Fosun.

If we spent £100m this summer the reality is that finishing 6th would still be an overachievement. Maybe even £200m.

Then, you have to keep spending and spending to do it again. It's sad really and there should be no expectation ever from a Wolves fan that we should finish in the top six. That's without mentioning the Villa & Newcastle who will spend big and continue to do so and maybe even West Ham.

However, Wolves fans do have a right to expect us to try and do all we can to be successful and unfortunately you can't say we've done that. We genuinely may never be in as good a position as we were in January ever again and we proceeded to make ourselves worse. It was pretty gutting.

So, yeah I'd never demand success, I just want us to try and I don't think they've done that recently.

With this stance, I agree new owners probably couldn't take us further, unless we got a Newcastle type takeover, but it's more about where we're heading.

In my opinion, we're going down and I'd say it will happen within the next five years. There are very few clubs (if any?) that can continuously survive on a sell-to-buy basis where you're reducing the wage bill from a mid-table start. It's daft to think we'd be any different.

Then we have the pricing/greed from Fosun. It's easy to say everyone does it but it's not actually true. We're the only club to put prices up year on year in the past four years, they're exploiting the fans because they can and they have lied when trying to justify it. Every chance our next owners aren't as bad as Fosun on that front as well.

Unfortunately in some respects I think they probably have tried to do all they can within the constraints they have given themselves. But what we have right now, the situation we find ourselves in, is just objectively not good enough from our(the fans) perspective. I’m sure they are aware of it also.

We were always going to be going down at one point or another. And over the next 5 years the reality is there will probably be at least another 11/12 clubs thinking they will be staring down the barrel too.

We only have to be 4th worst as a minimum each year... Something to aspire to! :laughing:

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's nothing to do with previous signings being ****e, every transfer is a risk just look at Lukaku at Chelsea, it was about survival, Newcastle were up for sale but Mike Ashley kept spending enough to keep them in the Prem and to protect his investment.

We aren't up for sale ( I think Fosun would sell in a heartbeat if an acceptable offer came in but that's another story) but we aren't even spending as much as Mike Ashley was, I think Fosun/Jeff are being incredibly complacent, we have been seeing diminishing returns in terms of player transfers these last couple of years and it will catch up to us at some point
But why would we spend as much as Mike Ashley? We’re a top 10 Premier League side which has released some non first team players and a couple of non-essential out of contract defenders.
We have Neto back from injury, Neves could possibly be staying, Toti and Chiq appear to have enormous potential, one of the best keepers in the league and Jimenez further along in his recovery of confidence.
Would I like new signings? Sure. Do I think we need to spend Mike Ashley sort of sums? Not in a million years.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well if you think he’s a liar then show me when he did.

Real proof…..not what you think or you suppose or you dreamt or heard third hand.

Total proof…..that is, a certainty. Unequivocally a fact.

He's been a bull****ter from day 1, from when he said he'd work with Kenny, to when he said Walter Zenga was a top class proven manager, to Lambert 'has Fosun's DNA and will stay here for a long time'.

Not to mention, every time he opens his mouth since, it's utter rubbish. Look at the super league shenanigans, waffling about how important fans are etc, yet proceeds to belittle us constantly, rip us off and take us for mugs, and effectively say we aren't as important as some esports plastic playing a game abroad. Another double standard.

He was still making FFP excuses in the Ask Wolves series this year, which is rubbish as we've broken even for 3 years now - FFP is no longer an issue as it was before. It is just a convenient excuse not to spend. This isn't being forced on us - Fosun are choosing to operate in this way. More lies from Jeff. Just be honest and up front, rather than make excuses.

It's quite funny you asking me to offer you proof for Jeff being a bull****ter, one watch of every interview he's done for us is evidence of that. Yet you provided none for me the other week about evidence for us strengthening. Funny that.

You're incredibly naive. Unbelievably so if you really believe what Jeff Shi says.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's been a bull****ter from day 1, from when he said he'd work with Kenny, to when he said Walter Zenga was a top class proven manager, to Lambert 'has Fosun's DNA and will stay here for a long time'.

Not to mention, every time he opens his mouth since, it's utter rubbish. Look at the super league shenanigans, waffling about how important fans are etc, yet proceeds to belittle us constantly, rip us off and take us for mugs, and effectively say we aren't as important as some esports plastic playing a game abroad. Another double standard.

He was still making FFP excuses in the Ask Wolves series this year, which is rubbish as we've broken even for 3 years now - FFP is no longer an issue as it was before. It is just a convenient excuse not to spend. This isn't being forced on us - Fosun are choosing to operate in this way. More lies from Jeff. Just be honest and up front, rather than make excuses.

It's quite funny you asking me to offer you proof for Jeff being a bull****ter, one watch of every interview he's done for us is evidence of that. Yet you provided none for me the other week about evidence for us strengthening. Funny that.

You're incredibly naive. Unbelievably so if you really believe what Jeff Shi says.
I knew you wouldn’t do what I asked.
ok, I’ll leave it at that.

Last edited:

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lol. You realize the window's been open for 48 hours?
Yes but the last time I looked a paper thin squad had just lost 10 of their last 14 games, missed a chance for Europe with basically the same squad nucleus for three seasons. I would love to think that it will all come good however all the positive stats from the first two thirds of last season are unlikely to be repeated. If the owners don’t realise this squad needs 3 or 4 additions who are premier league standard then they are burying their heads in the sand.
If you do what you have always done you will get what you always got. That means more turgid sideways passing, few goals, lack of creativity and home defeats. It’s *******s and Shi , Sellars et al are myopic if they can’t see it. We were 7th best a couple of seasons back. Now I don’t think we are top 15. We could struggle badly at this rate that’s my fear. It’s ****ing hard to get promoted. I would rather not chance relegation and that needs change and investment

D

Deleted member (smith)

Oh dear…your venom shows through….I will make no further comment but leave this thread forever because it has become puerile…if we make a signing starts new thread and keep this one for the same old same old repeated arguments.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes but the last time I looked a paper thin squad had just lost 10 of their last 14 games, missed a chance for Europe with basically the same squad nucleus for three seasons. I would love to think that it will all come good however all the positive stats from the first two thirds of last season are unlikely to be repeated. If the owners don’t realise this squad needs 3 or 4 additions who are premier league standard then they are burying their heads in the sand.
If you do what you have always done you will get what you always got. That means more turgid sideways passing, few goals, lack of creativity and home defeats. It’s *******s and Shi , Sellars et al are myopic if they can’t see it. We were 7th best a couple of seasons back. Now I don’t think we are top 15. We could struggle badly at this rate that’s my fear. It’s ****ing hard to get promoted. I would rather not chance relegation and that needs change and investment
"Utterly underwhelming window" though, two days in.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I personally think we've lost Moutinho but hope I'm wrong.
Plenty of other teams will give him a 2 year contract and that sounds like what he needs giving him greater job security towards the end of his career.

This is what gets me with the Mouts situation and players of his ilk..... he's 36, supposedly he and his family are happy in Wolverhampton , he has more money than most will see in a lifetime..... even if he only signed for a year another club would buy him at the end of that anyway, .... Why would he be holding out for " job security"
Just greed really at the end of the day!

Have we signed , the CB, CM and striker we've needed for the last couple of seasons yet? ( besides the new 16 YO generational talent from Wimbledon?)

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Utterly underwhelming window" though, two days in.
If your car needs a service as it’s not running well do you take it to the garage and get it serviced or do you cross your fingers and hope it gets better. Wolves have decided that option 2 is best currently and I think that’s a pretty poor choice. But I don’t own the club. We have been pretty awful since Feb by and large and it showed exactly where we looked weak. It was a great exercise in showing where we should strengthen. The fact we have not done that is therefore mind boggling. We have evidenced based data of what we need and as yet have decided not to act. For me that is bonkers. It will bite us in the ****.

Last edited:

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score

What an appalling post. If I were Jeff & read this vituperative libellous stuff I would walk.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What an appalling post. If I were Jeff & read this vituperative libellous stuff I would walk.
A lot of it's right though isn't it?

He did say that about Jackett, Zenga & Lambert. Admittedly that happens a lot in football but he said it.

This was our Super League statement. It is laughable looking back now and he does big up the fans and has since gone on to treat us poorly with the regular and significant price rises that are unmatched in the Premier League in recent years.

He did say FFP was an issue when it wasn't.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If your car needs a service as it’s not running well do you take it to the garage and get it serviced or do you cross your fingers and hope it gets better. Wolves have decided that option 2 is best currently and I think that’s a pretty poor choice. But I don’t own the club. We have been pretty awful since Feb by and large and it showed exactly where we looked weak. It was a great exercise in showing where we should strengthen. The fact we have not done that is therefore mind boggling. We have evidenced based data of what we need and as yet have decided not to act. For me that is bonkers. It will bite us in the ****.
The car isn't gonna get driven for weeks yet though. For all we know (which is **** all) it's already booked in for a service, the really annoying service where they change all the filters and re-gas the AC and it costs loads.

Should we have signed four players at 9am on Thursday? Is that the only acceptable action to have taken?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You needed to take a few more pinches of salt with Fosuns opening salvo.

Besides as you've said, they were dreams not promises.
I wasnt expecting them to do everything they promised so i dont think i need to take what they said with a pinch of salt. Doesnt matter what they were, dreams or promises, you cant sell that kind of thing to your fanbase, you cant build up their hopes then pull the rug out from underneath them to the extent they appear to have dont.

Football for the majority of clubs is about the dream of what could happen. You take that from the game then you might as well just set up that breakaway superleague and be done with everyone but those idiot clubs who tried to set it up.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then you’re not disagreeing that we need to sell to buy? So we’re not signing Nunes unless we sell players would 30m+

I’m not saying we won’t sign players and I fully accept that in some cases, we don’t follow through a player of interest because we haven’t sold the Wolves player he’s intended to replace. Palhinha is just the latest example.

The problem with our sell to buy is we sold Doc for about 13.5 million and replaced him with a 35 million player. That just seems the opposite of what we are trying to achieve.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem with our sell to buy is we sold Doc for about 13.5 million and replaced him with a 35 million player. That just seems the opposite of what we are trying to achieve.
I wonder if Fosun blew the Silva and Semedo money because they knew of the CCP restrictions coming our way. Like a final blow out.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genuine question. Do you feel happy with the trajectory of the club?
Good question……short answer is not happy but accepting and understanding.

I want to tell you my age, 68. I’ve had deep, deep grieving in my life, had business setbacks, buried family members, and just recently a couple of footy friends too, etc. But I also feel very blessed with the great things in my life.
Like a lot of people.
So I am wiser, more philosophical and accepting of life’s ups and downs.
Just ask any old geezer. ;)

Back to your question….do I like the Wolves trajectory? ….something I have no control over? I have to accept what Wolves do….no choice but too ……but I don’t react like an immature teen by ranting and raving and constantly complaining.
Their business model is smart…..living within your means …blah blah..

I would love Wolves to win something but since I am not a major shareholder my feelings don’t count.
But do I feel disappointed sometimes….sure….of course.
Fosun have their plan for the club I love but I can only pray that my hopes and theirs dovetail at the right times.
I wish they would invest more but it’s their money so for the moment I am content that we are a top 10 PL club.

Dont get me wrong…..I’m not unemotional or detached…….many a time, really bad language was hurled at the tv last season during most of our games……birds were dropping dead out of the sky over my place.:rolleyes::cool:;)

Last edited:

dennison11

Reaction score
Good question……short answer is not happy but accepting and understanding.

I want to tell you my age, 68. I’ve had deep, deep grieving in my life, had business setbacks, buried family members, and just recently a couple footy friends too, etc.
Like a lot of people.
So I am wiser, more philosophical and accepting of life’s ups and downs.
Just ask any old geezer. ;)

Back to your question….do I like the Wolves trajectory? ….something I have no control over? I have to accept what Wolves do….no choice but too ……but I don’t react like an immature teen by ranting and raving and constant complaining.
Their business model is smart…..living within your means …blah blah..

I would love Wolves to win something but since I am not a major shareholder my feelings don’t count.
But do I feel disappointed sometimes….sure….of course.
Fosun have their plan for the club I love but I can only pray that my hopes and theirs dovetail at the right times.
I wish they would invest more but it’s their money so for the moment I am content that we are a top 10 PL club.
This the most sensible, reasonable and rational post I have seen on here for a while.

Yes we all love the club and want whats best for it, however, it is far beyond our control what actually happens. We all deserve a say and we all have opinions and all are valid. Unfortunately, its FOSUN that will decide the direction of the club.

I'm hopeful for a strong and busy transfer window. If it happens, great. If not, well, we will struggle yes but there is much more to get worked up about.

Off to bed now as on nights for the next week. Hopefully some good news over the next few days.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Name one bit he's referenced that isn't accurate?
It's not that as such, it's stuff like what was said about Jackett. It was reported on here after that Cleveland get together thing with Jackett, Ricketts and Murray that Fosun were straight and up front with Jackett from the off, and that's from Jackett himself. The official line that came out was that Fosun would work with him, that clearly wasn't the case, Jackett knew it and most people with half a brain knew it was likely that Jackett would go despite what was said. Should Jeff Shi have come out and said "our first act will be to sack Kenny Jackett, Kenny, here's your P45"?

A lot of official lines that come out of any club aren't the truth, someone would have to be incredibly naive to think that they are

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, if it only achieves one thing....

I've been a supporter of Fosun, albeit with some caveats from when they arrived and both talked the talk and walked the walk. However the last two and a bit season have made me question their dedication, resolve and intentions. I now really don't mind seeing them sell up and we move on to whatever the future holds, because the present is pretty under-inspiring.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An owner of a football club that loses the confidence of the fans of the football club..simply will not last very long.
It seems Fosun is there or thereabouts at this point in time.
Give it the upcoming season(if we struggle on pitch)and the situation will become hopeless for them.
They should put us up for sale any way one wanna look at it..from the investments company point of view over to pure football relating aspects.

One way or another,the club must to try move forward.It won´t happen under Fosun given the way they now runs the club.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't understand not selling at this point. If given the geopolitics or economic conditions that make it so that it is difficult to manage this club from China why not just sell up now and make all this money back on their initial investment? I don't want to spend the next 5 years doing this with Fosun if they are well and truly tapped out. They've done so much for us and we will be thankful but if this is the limit, then its time to start having these discussions much like when Morgan was done with the club and seemed to stop caring after relegation.
I agree. The geopolitics have been discussed in some detail, but there have been very recent shifts (NATO, Hongkong, Taiwan) that suggest to me Wolves may very well be in the same situation as Chelsea in 18-24 mths.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I agree. The geopolitics have been discussed in some detail, but there have been very recent shifts (NATO, Hongkong, Taiwan) that suggest to me Wolves may very well be in the same situation as Chelsea in 18-24 mths.

So let's assume the people panicking on here are right, Fosun have lost interest and want to sell up with minimal investment in the meantime.

They still want to maximise the value of the club to profit from the sale. Same as if you're selling a manufacturing business, you still need to put in some capex to keep your plants running properly so that a prospective buyer sees it as attractive. You're not going to be opening any new plants, but you want to maintain the status quo.

So the worst case scenario for Wolves is that we see enough investment for us to avoid the risk of relegation. Is that frustrating given what seemed to be on the horizon a few years ago? Yup. But it's a hell of a lot better than some owner who's suddenly lost all interest in his football hobby and pulls the plug, or being run by a Morgan and Moxey comedy duo who drive the car over the cliff.

It would be great if we had some white knight billionaire owner, but in the grander scheme of things I don't think Fosun are all that bad - even in the worse case scenario.

Of course that scenario might not be true - its equally as possible they're still in it for the long haul but need to do that sustainably.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I don't think we've seen enough of Lage to Judge him. I've seen glimpses of the Benfica title winning season football near the beginning of last season and I've also seen some tactically awful decision making towards the back end of it.
We were talking about Jeff, not Bruno!

I don't think it's fair to call Bruno a "yes man" though either, given he's publicly said he needs very specific things. For all of these questions it would be very easy for him to say "signings are outside of my are, ask Scott", but he doesn't, he says what he wants.

Woolywolf

Reaction score
I get the feeling its going to be a mistake not signing him tbh.
The interesting thing is we’ve done exactly the same thing twice with Paulhinia. We targeted him at Braga and seemed destined to sign him before deciding not to. Then saw him get into the international team and have a good season at Sporting. Then seemed to have a chance to rectify a mistake at pretty decent vale only to pass again…weird

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, it was the first Sunday in July last year where out the blue we announced Trincao signing. Wonder if in for a similar surprise today?

Back
Top Bottom