Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The Lionesses at Molineux

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It has been announced tonight, that Molineux will host England Women v Germany Women, in some kind of a International Tournament on February 23rd 2022 - during ITV's broadcast of their RECORD BREAKING 20 (TWENTY) - 0 WIN v Latvia in a World Cup Qualifer!

Full details will be confirmed in due course, but I hope we can PACK the place and it will be a FANTASTIC moment for the city, in seeing this incredible genration of Women do their thing on our lovely turf!

Last edited:

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It has been announced tonight, that Molineux will host England Women v Germany Women, in some kind of a International Tournament on February 23rd 2022 - during ITV's broadcast of their RECORD BREAKING 20 (TWENTY) - 0 WIN v Latvia in a World Cup Qualifer!

Full details will be confirmed in due course, but I hope we can PACK the place and it will be a FANTASTIC moment for the city, in seeing this incredible genration of Women do their thing on our lovely turf!
There's a joke in there somewhere but I couldn't possibly point it out

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I have nothing against Women’s football and I certainly don’t compare it to the Men’s game .The thing is such mismatches as 20-0 do nothing to enhance the game .Credit to England for keeping going but spare a thought for the Latvian team how disheartened must they feel this morning?

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
CgCImbV.gif

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good stuff for this game to be at Molineux, I'll be there !

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw England Women v Brazil Women in the 2012 Olympics at Wembley. I really enjoyed it, and we beat them!

Apologies for the pedantry but it would have been Great Britain (and NI??) team surely?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have nothing against Women’s football and I certainly don’t compare it to the Men’s game .The thing is such mismatches as 20-0 do nothing to enhance the game .Credit to England for keeping going but spare a thought for the Latvian team how disheartened must they feel this morning?
A bit like the old Scottish League Division Two was back in the day, when scores like 11-1 weren't at all uncommon. Arbroath beat a team called Bon Accord 36-0 in the Scottish Cup in 1885, which is the all-time record for a 'first class' match. These kind of scores only occur when there's a complete mismatch in skill and fitness levels, and are not uncommon in leagues where the players have only just got to grips with the game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 11021Mcm

I’m guessing they will play on the strip of grass between Steve Bull stand and the pitch. Similar to when the kids play at half time.
This is one of those moments that makes me wish I had the ability to “like” posts on this forum.

I genuinely guffawed at that one.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
A bit like the old Scottish League Division Two was back in the day, when scores like 11-1 weren't at all uncommon. Arbroath beat a team called Bon Accord 36-0 in the Scottish Cup in 1885, which is the all-time for a 'first class' match. These kind of scores only occur when there's a complete mismatch in skill and fitness levels, and are not uncommon in leagues where the players have only just got to grips with the game.
The side issue to the Bon Accord game was that notification of the fixture was actually sent to the cricket team instead of the football club .They fulfilled the fixture and the rest is history.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't see why people feel the need to come on this thread and mock women's football. Of course it's years behind the men's game, and may never achieve the same profile. But the fact is that girls and women want to play football, they play to a high level, and it's only going to get better with increased coverage and enthusiasm. My daughter wants to play for Wolves women one day. She extremely unlikely to, if her sporting abilities turn out to resemble those of her parents! But I'm damn well going to encourage her, and if she ever gets comments thrown at her such as the ones that have appeared on this thread, I'll be telling her exactly what they're worth.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Don't see why people feel the need to come on this thread and mock women's football. Of course it's years behind the men's game, and may never achieve the same profile. But the fact is that girls and women want to play football, they play to a high level, and it's only going to get better with increased coverage and enthusiasm. My daughter wants to play for Wolves women one day. She extremely unlikely to, if her sporting abilities turn out to resemble those of her parents! But I'm damn well going to encourage her, and if she ever gets comments thrown at her such as the ones that have appeared on this thread, I'll be telling her exactly what they're worth.
I for one am not knocking it but results such as last night do nothing to enhance the game in those Countries trying to get a foot up the ladder .Countries such as Latvia need to play countries of a similar standard in the main until they can improve sufficiently to compete .Their team must have been totally disheartened and disappointed at the final whistle.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I for one am not knocking it but results such as last night do nothing to enhance the game in those Countries trying to get a foot up the ladder .Countries such as Latvia need to play countries of a similar standard in the main until they can improve sufficiently to compete .Their team must have been totally disheartened and disappointed at the final whistle.
Yes I wasn't disagreeing with any of that, and the same can be said of the England - San Marino game.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't mind watching womens football, it's...different, I do think they need to change a few things compared to the mens game and if any team found a half decent keeper they'd be unbeatable

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well said!

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Women should be kept off the hallowed Molineux turf! Makes me a chauvinist! Joke ladies, sorry!

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Looks like the tournament will also include Spain and Canada

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have no issues whatsoever with women's/ladies/female football (delete whichever word is inappropriate now) but honestly have no or little interest. I watched the USA V England when the World Cup was on and it was ok but as you progress down the pyramid it just doesn't have the same levels of skill, speed and physicality and is essentially a different game. Even that match last night I watched some for the benefit of the females in the room and the 18th(!) goal was hilarious - the goalie went to clear, missed the ball which scuffed onto the striker's head and rolled in. I laughed my **** off... but not because I'm cruel or biased against the female game but mainly because I would also laugh at a local 'under 10's' match where I saw something similar last weekend.

The only time I do start to have a view is when the female game is artificially 'baked' into the media in a kind of indoctrination process. Sticking the women's football results above the Championship scores on the BBC site last Saturday for example. Or the other day, clicking on a "Wolves F.A. Cup draw-related story" and it turned out to be Wolves women. For years it was annoying getting the Wolfsburg news stories getting conflated with our own. That has now been resolved but now it's the turn of our own ladies team.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Have no issues whatsoever with women's/ladies/female football (delete whichever word is inappropriate now) but honestly have no or little interest. I watched the USA V England when the World Cup was on and it was ok but as you progress down the pyramid it just doesn't have the same levels of skill, speed and physicality and is essentially a different game. Even that match last night I watched some for the benefit of the females in the room and the 18th(!) goal was hilarious - the goalie went to clear, missed the ball which scuffed onto the striker's head and rolled in. I laughed my **** off... but not because I'm cruel or biased against the female game but mainly because I would also laugh at a local 'under 10's' match where I saw something similar last weekend.

The only time I do start to have a view is when the female game is artificially 'baked' into the media in a kind of indoctrination process. Sticking the women's football results above the Championship scores on the BBC site last Saturday for example. Or the other day, clicking on a "Wolves F.A. Cup draw-related story" and it turned out to be Wolves women. For years it was annoying getting the Wolfsburg news stories getting conflated with our own. That has now been resolved but now it's the turn of our own ladies team.
Agree with your last paragraph. TV companies don't care about women's football but do it to prevent accusations of sexism etc. Same with adverts, TV presenters etc- they react to the publuc feeling at the time to prevent bad publicity. There are no (or v few) Far
Eastern faces on our TV screens..presenters/adverts etc. But if the public and social media atmosphere changed-you can bet that would change immediately to stave off negative publicity. BTW - it's an opinion- doesn't make me a Neanderthal.

Back
Top Bottom