Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The impact of having no fans in the ground

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is by no means an excuse for the current performances, management and results. Put the tactics, team selection, recruitment etc aside for a minute.

And yes I realise it’s the same for all teams, HOWEVER the lack of fans in the ground has had a massive impact on teams this season. Arguably, it has affected some teams more than others.

Molineux really was a fortress for us over the last 3 years, and has undoubtedly assisted in getting results against City (3-2), United (2-1 Fa Cup) amongst others.

I really do think it’s affected Nuno too. He keeps mentioning it in every interview. The crowd really does give us that boost. There’s no way the fans would’ve allowed us to drift through these last few games like we have, especially today.

Sheffield United last season were obviously greater than the sum of their parts but have missed fans massively this season. On the flip side West Ham are probably doing so well because there’s no crowd pressure on them!

Could the result have been different today with 32,000 roaring us on in the last 10 minutes? We don’t seem to have any tempo or urgency to our play and I really think the lack of fans is a huge factor.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah - not a chance we are where we are with the fans

the handball would have been given as a pen, and the team would have been so much more up for it - well they couldn’t have been less

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah - not a chance we are where we are with the fans

the handball would have been given as a pen, and the team would have been so much more up for it - well they couldn’t have been less

True, refereeing decisions have also been impacted. They undoubtedly get swayed by the crowd.

You’d think VAR would ensure an element of fairness with this, but would it overturn borderline decisions given in our favour? Possibly not.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think its the same for everyone tbh but I do think it's adversely affected Nuno. His affinity with us was possibly greater than any other manager with their fans in the Prem. He was loved and you could feel the passion for him at the end of games at Molineux. He's a deep thinker who I expect dissects everything quietly after a game and mulls things over. He refers to no fans at virtually every interview often inferring there is little point to football without fans to share the experience. I do wonder whether this, coupled with results which he can't seem to influence right now and missing his family will be perhaps too much for him?

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wonder if all three penalty decisions would have been given differently with fans in the ground. Not an excuse for our **** defending, though.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think its the same for everyone tbh but I do think it's adversely affected Nuno. His affinity with us was possibly greater than any other manager with their fans in the Prem. He was loved and you could feel the passion for him at the end of games at Molineux. He's a deep thinker who I expect dissects everything quietly after a game and mulls things over. He refers to no fans at virtually every interview often inferring there is little point to football without fans to share the experience. I do wonder whether this, coupled with results which he can't seem to influence right now and missing his family will be perhaps too much for him?

And that’s exactly the reason I think he may decide to walk. I really hope he’s not that short sighted and can see past the current situation to a ‘normal’ time.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think as fans it also kills the routine and lessens the impact of a loss (today excepted). Dunno about anyone else but over the last 10 months how many times have you ended up spending time on your phone rather than being glued to the action for 90 mins?

I wonder how many new/young fans we’ll lose from not being able to attend their first match. The local factor goes out the window when everything is on TV.

or maybe I’m just blaming myself, felt good at half time, got the kids to put their Wolves shirts on at half time. Took a photo of my youngest - score goes 2-2 a minute later. Took a photo of my oldest in hers, score goes 3-2 a minute later. Didn’t take any more pics!

Back
Top Bottom