Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I only post when I am told something I believe from a credible source and so I have not posted .. I know we offered £10 m loan with option to buy for£25m but it was turned down and we would not raise offer .. In Portugal after being at the 4 friendlies .. have spoken with coaches and agents in Spain and here but no info forthcoming .. heard about young CM last night but as I know he is going to Turkey dismissed it
What I will say we should not panic buy we need the right players not any players being Striker or CM
Hope Lobo is right
Was that for Ramos?

Cornwall Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I only post when I am told something I believe from a credible source and so I have not posted .. I know we offered £10 m loan with option to buy for£25m but it was turned down and we would not raise offer .. In Portugal after being at the 4 friendlies .. have spoken with coaches and agents in Spain and here but no info forthcoming .. heard about young CM last night but as I know he is going to Turkey dismissed it
What I will say we should not panic buy we need the right players not any players being Striker or CM
Hope Lobo is right
Sorry offer was for Gabigol

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope Lobo is right
This is the problem. Usually absolutely yes we need the right players. But we have let our squad get in such a state that if we don't get the right players, we do need any players to pad the squad out. It's ridiculous.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Despite Jimenez’s injury, Wolves won’t rush to bring in a striker who doesn’t suit the style. They are working on bringing a striker in before the end of the window but it may not happen before the season starts. Hwang, Podence or Neto are the likely fill-ins for now. #wwfc

2:21 pm · 27 Jul 2022·Twitter for iPhone

Under Nuno we had the policy of a small squad. Since then we have reduced the squad even more. Does this make sense when every club has to cater for injuries, suspension and loss of form?
This article very much sends the message that if Raul had not been injured we would not be looking for any more incoming additions.
We have a few top class players but why would they want to stay at a club that is not interested in investing to improve which means as you dont stand still the only way is downwards.
Quoting your first sentence mate, do we actually have a style? .

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we are going in to the Leeds game with no striker on the pitch, would people be ok with us going back to the tried and trusted 343 and trying to scrape points together?
I think 343 is more reliant on a decent traditional style centre forward.
433 is probably the best way to go with available players.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope Lobo is right

Thanks for sharing!

As for not panicking. I politely disagree. We have no senior striker and if we play 433 with Moutinho, Dendoncker and Neves in midfield and MGW on the wing and Podence up top, we don't have any PL midfielders to bring on.
So while I agree we need the right players, we can't really be picky.

Clipboard

Reaction score
Open letter to Scott Sellars,

Dear Scott,

As you are well aware it's been a pretty torturous time for us Wolves fans over the last couple of seasons, despite managing to comfortably retain our Premier League status we have had to endure some dour and impotent performances where our goals for column resembles a Californian drought, infertile, bone dry and devoid of any hope.

Ultimately, unless we somehow manage to reproduce our form defensively (something that declined notably in the final quarter of the 2021/22 season), there is a real risk that the team could be sucked into a relegation battle through a distinct lack of goals, despite the obvious individual quality we have in our quaint little squad.

At the present moment I, and many others, are becoming increasingly alarmed at what appears to be an inability by the club's Technical Director to address this issue over this and a number of transfer windows. Instead of dealing with the "goals for" risk by bringing in fresh talent to you seem to have a plan based around the following:
  1. Raul Jimenez - will recover his form and fitness and provide the goal threat he did prior to his terrible injury - this big gamble can only succeed if he's fit to play and it appears he will now miss the first quarter of the season with a new injury, requiring surgery, so who knows how that will go (ref. Neto last year?).
  2. Fabio Silva - as the long term and natural replacement/competition for Jimenez. Now, however, after two seasons you have deemed Fabio not yet good enough for the Premier League and loaned him out for the season - so option 2 is not available due to your "strategic" decision making.
  3. Hwang Hee-Chan - brought in initially on loan as a second striker/inside forward to add to the goal output and raise our profile in South Korea. During the early part of last season he looked like a decent foil to Raul, though not as a leader of the line, then he got injured, you prematurely activated his "option to buy" he returned to the team and his form plummeted. He also appears to be carrying another injury, so presently out of form and unavailable.
  4. Patrick Cutrone - is a young striker who's career has been mis-managed totally by this club (both you and your predecessor) and is currently kicking his heels somewhere in Compton whilst you sort something out for him. He has not been involved at all pre-season so even if he is a viable option then he's far from integrated with the squad. He was not in your plans but as it stands is our only fit striker.
  5. Leo Bonatini - I've added him in as he's officially a striker, but we all know that from day one his signing was pointless.
So you can see why we're getting very concerned with your ability to address this extremely important issue. Having these five players free of injury is a risky proposition as it stands, given their track record in recent seasons, now that three of them are currently unavailable and two are deemed surplus to requirements, you have left us with one 5'5" option for the central striker role with the new season only 10 days away.

I hope for our sake and your's that you have an extremely inventive and exciting mitigation plan that is already in place and will see new arrivals in the next few days. If not then I think you should consider your future as a Director of Football. I really want it to be the former as I would hate for poor planning and mis-management to be the reason for poor season next year.

I trust that rather than sit smirking at this letter behind closed doors in Compton Park, you will realise how ludicrous this position looks from anyone outside the inner sanctum of the club, and devoid of any ounce of reassurance that the club will rectify this position, I hope you can understand the lack of faith the club's supporters have in your ability to turn this around.

Regards

Very Proud (thinking of going back to Still Proud again)
Send it.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we are going in to the Leeds game with no striker on the pitch, would people be ok with us going back to the tried and trusted 343 and trying to scrape points together?
Yeah.

In my opinion to play without a striker (I include Hwang in this as I mean a focal point and he's not that) you need to be excellent in possession. You need to dominate the ball, control play and hope to open them up in the final third.

We aren't going to do that at Leeds.

So, I'd expect a 5-3-2 or whatever you want to call it as it will allow us to soak up more pressure and try to break.

Whoever is fit in goal
Jonny - Collins - Coady - Kilman - Ait-Nouri
Dendoncker - Neves - Moutinho
MGW - Neto

That's what I'd expect as it stands.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
No, they won't, they'll know Wolves are in the market for a striker but they'll certainly know that they're not rushed either.

Never do business high on emotion.
At last a sensible post....

Always this in business and decision making in general.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does it not make sense for the club to say they won't be rushed into buying a striker, so that selling clubs don't hike up their fees thinking we're desperate for players? Happy to reserve judgement until the end of the window to be honest
I mean, if it's that obvious that we can see it immediately I'm pretty sure any club we deal with knows how desperate we are, regardless of what we leak to the local journo. There's no hiding from it now.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Open letter to Scott Sellars,

Dear Scott,

As you are well aware it's been a pretty torturous time for us Wolves fans over the last couple of seasons, despite managing to comfortably retain our Premier League status we have had to endure some dour and impotent performances where our goals for column resembles a Californian drought, infertile, bone dry and devoid of any hope.

Ultimately, unless we somehow manage to reproduce our form defensively (something that declined notably in the final quarter of the 2021/22 season), there is a real risk that the team could be sucked into a relegation battle through a distinct lack of goals, despite the obvious individual quality we have in our quaint little squad.

At the present moment I, and many others, are becoming increasingly alarmed at what appears to be an inability by the club's Technical Director to address this issue over this and a number of transfer windows. Instead of dealing with the "goals for" risk by bringing in fresh talent to you seem to have a plan based around the following:
  1. Raul Jimenez - will recover his form and fitness and provide the goal threat he did prior to his terrible injury - this big gamble can only succeed if he's fit to play and it appears he will now miss the first quarter of the season with a new injury, requiring surgery, so who knows how that will go (ref. Neto last year?).
  2. Fabio Silva - as the long term and natural replacement/competition for Jimenez. Now, however, after two seasons you have deemed Fabio not yet good enough for the Premier League and loaned him out for the season - so option 2 is not available due to your "strategic" decision making.
  3. Hwang Hee-Chan - brought in initially on loan as a second striker/inside forward to add to the goal output and raise our profile in South Korea. During the early part of last season he looked like a decent foil to Raul, though not as a leader of the line, then he got injured, you prematurely activated his "option to buy" he returned to the team and his form plummeted. He also appears to be carrying another injury, so presently out of form and unavailable.
  4. Patrick Cutrone - is a young striker who's career has been mis-managed totally by this club (both you and your predecessor) and is currently kicking his heels somewhere in Compton whilst you sort something out for him. He has not been involved at all pre-season so even if he is a viable option then he's far from integrated with the squad. He was not in your plans but as it stands is our only fit striker.
  5. Leo Bonatini - I've added him in as he's officially a striker, but we all know that from day one his signing was pointless.
So you can see why we're getting very concerned with your ability to address this extremely important issue. Having these five players free of injury is a risky proposition as it stands, given their track record in recent seasons, now that three of them are currently unavailable and two are deemed surplus to requirements, you have left us with one 5'5" option for the central striker role with the new season only 10 days away.

I hope for our sake and your's that you have an extremely inventive and exciting mitigation plan that is already in place and will see new arrivals in the next few days. If not then I think you should consider your future as a Director of Football. I really want it to be the former as I would hate for poor planning and mis-management to be the reason for poor season next year.

I trust that rather than sit smirking at this letter behind closed doors in Compton Park, you will realise how ludicrous this position looks from anyone outside the inner sanctum of the club, and devoid of any ounce of reassurance that the club will rectify this position, I hope you can understand the lack of faith the club's supporters have in your ability to turn this around.

Regards

Very Proud (thinking of going back to Still Proud again)
i'd post this as a separate thread.

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
Wolves have two unused strkers, Bonatini and Cutrone. Bring them into the squad if no one will buy them. WWFC are paying their wages, if they refuse to play they are in breach of contract and the club do no pay them. The club can sack them and retain their registration until expiry of the contracts.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fact is we needed to get a striker in before raul was injured with fabio going. Love neto but a striker he is not. Hwang plays as second striker, no chance he can lead the line, and podence, all 5 ft 5 of him is also not an effective striker. However, i do not want to see us panic buy and undo some of the hard work in reducing the wage bill. Bringing a benteke in on 100k a week for 2 seasons to cover for raul for 8 weeks is ridiculous. Maybe need to look at some of the bigger clubs who have 3 or 4 strikers and see if we can get someone in on loan, and forget our stance on not developing players for other teams for a season. Broja seems a really good shout, id even see about Martial at manu.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope Lobo is right
Was that because they wanted a straight sale rather than loan with option.

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Time to resurrect an old idea and stick a centre-back up top. Big Willy smashing home the winner. Maybe not.
He executed a lovely “striker’s finish” against Besiktas in the Europa…. Perhaps he can repeat that 10-15 times more this season? :)

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed, we will need to do the right piece of business for the right player.

50m on alexader isak please.

Tall strong young athletic gerrimmm in
I've been following Pedro Raul at Goias in Brasil. 25, tall, strong, can finish and cheap. Of course, he could also be the new Willian José (..and I've no idea about work-permit regs).

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nevermind at least the wage bill looks ok . Well most of us Said it that we needed players don't matter Hwang up top . Oh wait he hasn't played much in preseason.

got to love these clowns haven't you

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

One of these wouldnt be bad, almeida not travelling to hungary tomorrow.

And Andre Franco is a good player, 11 goals in 33 (believe he is a penalty taker though)
Franco would be a good replacement for Adama. Not because of the speed but because of the direct creativity he offers. He is someone I’d try and get while he is cheap. As for a striker well who knows 10m won’t get us far. May as well give Mertens a deal until January or something

We can use the 10m on wages we would still have change left over. My ideal wish list now would be

Xeka - free - CM
Mertens - free - Striker / Wing

Mertens Makes Clear Lazio Decision After Leaving Napoli | The Laziali

Says here he doesn’t want to play against Napoli.

Last edited:

Cornwall Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Franco would be a good replacement for Adama. Not because of the speed but because of the direct creativity he offers. He is someone I’d try and get while he is cheap. As for a striker well who knows 10m won’t get us far. May as well give Mertens a deal until January or something
He was the player I mentioned earlier but believe he is on his way to Turkey as advised by an agent .. would have been decent cheap signing

Back
Top Bottom