Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Care to expand on the 'new revenue streams' claim because I really struggle to see how a kid watching two other kids playing fifa is going to make the football club any money.

If he suddenly decides he wants a handset with the Wolves logo on or a beanie hat then he buys it online from Fosun and then what? The money is transferred to us?

Honestly, why would Fosun do this and how much do you think we are going to get?
Advertising, merchandising. Same way most tech works and loads of people watch. There are people on You Tube making money out of filming themselves playing a game.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On another positive note :wink: I'm surprised there's not a few having a look at Kilman. We spontaneously combusted when he was out of the team.
I agree with you that Kilman's absence really hurt but it was compounded by the fact that Semedo was injured and so were Neves and Podence for a number of games in the run-in. Once again re-inforcing the fact that we lack strength in depth.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Here's all the official ins and outs from the Premier League so far. With regards to incoming signings, some clubs have done a lot of business, but most have just a little and a few none (us, Brentford, Everton, Leicester, Man United).

We have let a lot of players go, but I was surprised how many other clubs have let lots go too, quite a few of them more players than us. Looking at our outs, there are 4 players who are genuine first team squad members from last season (Ruddy, Marcel, Saiss, Hoever). Other clubs also have a mix of first team squad members and youngsters going out.

Looks like the market for everyone will really start moving in the next few weeks because so many clubs have multiple outgoings and very few incomings.

Last edited:

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As some of the more steady eddy's have said transfer activity really begins on the 1st July when the transfer window opens in Europe. If you want decent European players it all starts in July. No amount of spaffing up all the vitriol will make it happen any quicker.
Also players contracts are usually geared to a 1st of July date
Ive been saying for weeks its when i believe/hope we start to do business
If we dont do something following Friday then ill start to worry

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Man United close in on deal for De Jong​

Manchester United are close to agreeing a deal with Barcelona for midfielder Frenkie de Jong.
Sky Sports News has been told the clubs have a "broad agreement" on the fee - believed to be €65m plus performance related add-ons.
Discussions continue over the finer details of the agreement, but there appears to be an increased confidence a deal can be struck.
Personal terms are not expected to be a problem.

Well with soler going to barcelona if this happens, there isnt a market for our boy neves

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Man United close in on deal for De Jong​

Manchester United are close to agreeing a deal with Barcelona for midfielder Frenkie de Jong.
Sky Sports News has been told the clubs have a "broad agreement" on the fee - believed to be €65m plus performance related add-ons.
Discussions continue over the finer details of the agreement, but there appears to be an increased confidence a deal can be struck.
Personal terms are not expected to be a problem.

Well with soler going to barcelona if this happens, there isnt a market for our boy neves

I think a new deal for Neves, extra couple of years, pay rise but a release clause of £60-70m. Should keep both parties happy.

T

TheConcourse

Care to expand on the 'new revenue streams' claim because I really struggle to see how a kid watching two other kids playing fifa is going to make the football club any money.

If he suddenly decides he wants a handset with the Wolves logo on or a beanie hat then he buys it online from Fosun and then what? The money is transferred to us?

Honestly, why would Fosun do this and how much do you think we are going to get?
So when Wolves go to seek new sponsors for the football club, they’re giving themselves opportunities for brands to reach more diverse audiences.

Royal Caribbean isn’t going to be interested in marketing to the eSports crew, but Roblox might invest in sponsoring the club to reach that audience.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I agree with you that Kilman's absence really hurt but it was compounded by the fact that Semedo was injured and so were Neves and Podence for a number of games in the run-in. Once again re-inforcing the fact that we lack strength in depth.
Oh no doubt. But £30-40m is peanuts for Chelsea / city / United so he would represent good value from their perspective and difficult to see Jeff turning that down.

Certainly not willing any offers from me though, he's a top player

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here's all the official ins and outs from the Premier League so far. With regards to incoming signings, some clubs have done a lot of business, but most have just a little and a few none (us, Brentford, Everton, Leicester, Man United).

We have let a lot of players go, but I was surprised how many other clubs have let lots go too, quite a few of them more players than us. Looking at our outs, there are 4 players who are genuine first team squad members from last season (Ruddy, Marcel, Saiss, However). Other clubs also have a mix of first team squad members and youngsters going out.

Looks like the market for everyone will really start moving in the next few weeks because so many clubs have multiple outgoings and very few incomings.
If you look at that list only about 3/4 teams have done what i call serious business and 3 of those are top 6 sides

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As I have explained already, it’s because the value of sponsorship deals that Wolves sign (eg shirt sponsor) is directly linked to the Wolves brand value and reach. Traditionally football clubs could only increase their brand value by winning trophies and being on lots of tv around the world. But while that’s clearly still critical, you can boost it by broadening the brand outside of football. Then when brand analysts do surveys to test awareness and familiarity with the Wolves brand, then people who play or have kids who play esports will start to respond yes, even if they’ve never watched a Wolves game. That broadening of brand familiarity then translates into more valuable sponsorship deals for Wolves.

The other revenue streams are I think largely subservient to the broader objective of broadening the Wolves brand. Music and fashion may generate a bit of extra cash for Fosun Sports but I doubt it will itself be material.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a new deal for Neves, extra couple of years, pay rise but a release clause of £60-70m. Should keep both parties happy.
I think thats sensible ie a release clause, and explain to ruben if someone comes after you you can go and get what you want

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh no doubt. But £30-40m is peanuts for Chelsea / city / United so he would represent good value from their perspective and difficult to see Jeff turning that down.

Certainly not willing any offers from me though, he's a top player
50 million plus add ons ...same as that **** Ben White.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
florentino luis, is available - someone i though lage would look at

Defensive midfielder is back at Benfica, after being loaned to Getafe

Florentino Luís appeared this Monday at Benfica's training center, after being loaned for a season to Spanish club Getafe, where he played 24 games.

RELATED
Benfica. Open training at Luz: Schmidt wants "a connection between team and fans"

Benfica. Weigl's future and Javi García's choice in the words of Roger Schmidt

On the day that marked the start of pre-season work for the eagles, the 22-year-old defensive midfielder marked his return to Seixal with a message of ambition, published on his personal Instagram account, which reads: "I return home with a huge desire to write a new chapter".

It is recalled that Florentino made his debut for the Reds in the 2018/19 season, by the hand of Bruno Lage, but since then he has not been able to assert himself at Benfica, having been loaned in the last two seasons to Monaco and Getafe, respectively

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think thats sensible ie a release clause, and explain to ruben if someone comes after you you can go and get what you want

It's also a decent incentive.

Go out there and become that £60-70m player so clubs won't hesitate to pay it.

We get a better player and the value we want. He gets a move to a very top club. Everyone's a winner.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Thankfully it doesn't rely on your, or any other fan's understanding for it to have an effect.

How many people would be complaining about Esports if we had signed Nunes already?

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I have explained already, it’s because the value of sponsorship deals that Wolves sign (eg shirt sponsor) is directly linked to the Wolves brand value and reach. Traditionally football clubs could only increase their brand value by winning trophies and being on lots of tv around the world. But while that’s clearly still critical, you can boost it by broadening the brand outside of football. Then when brand analysts do surveys to test awareness and familiarity with the Wolves brand, then people who play or have kids who play esports will start to respond yes, even if they’ve never watched a Wolves game. That broadening of brand familiarity then translates into more valuable sponsorship deals for Wolves.

The other revenue streams are I think largely subservient to the broader objective of broadening the Wolves brand. Music and fashion may generate a bit of extra cash for Fosun Sports but I doubt it will itself be material.
Thanks. I get your point. But to put it in perspective, Manbetx gave us £8m a year for shirt sponsorship, and our total advertising and sponsorship revenue was only £15m last year. That's equivalent to a Hwang a year.

If we finished top 6 we would have got more than that from broadcasting and league position revenue. And our brand would be worth much more. Money comes success on the pitch, not likes from gamers that don't understand football.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Id be quite interested in picking up any of the following

gustavo assuncao
martim neto
Samuele Ricci
weston mckennie

there are others

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks. I get your point. But to put it in perspective, Manbetx gave us £8m a year for shirt sponsorship, and our total advertising and sponsorship revenue was only £15m last year. That's equivalent to a Hwang a year.

If we finished top 6 we would have got more than that from broadcasting and league position revenue. And our brand would be worth much more. Money comes success on the pitch, not likes from gamers that don't understand football.
Also companies want to work with and will pay more to be partnered with winners or teams pushing to win things.

E-sports can make money for a club, look at hashtag united for example BUT we are a premier league club and I struggle to see it generate millions a year to push the club on.
UNLESS we move into DOTA or league of legends

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Flo Luis and Haris Seferovic are two players I don't particularly like bit would accept us signing because they'll be cheap, Lage knows them and fit a need in terms of depth. Could we sell Donk and be able to bring in Almeda, Martim Neto, Flo Luis and Seferovic?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Flo Luis and Haris Seferovic are two players I don't particularly like bit would accept us signing because they'll be cheap, Lage knows them and fit a need in terms of depth. Could we sell Donk and be able to bring in Almeda, Martim Neto, Flo Luis and Seferovic?
Seferovic going besiktas so that wont happen.

Reaction score
I didnt say they would siphon cash out. I said any cash wouldnt come to wolves. And it wont. If e sports takes off it will probably need investment. If its profitable its profits will go to fosun. I think its really unlikely it will be financing football. So, pal, you dont understand
You're just contradicting yourself now.

Let's just leave it there eh!? We're never going to agree and I have no desire for a childish back and forth.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've seen people say things like this so many times recently, and it just comes across as being intentionally stupid.

How can you hope to have a well informed view of Wolves, if you don't know what other teams are doing to compare to? No wonder you're so angry, when you don't realise how few major transfers have occurred, outside of Liverpool, City and Villa.

Yet the reverse argument os used to defend the lack of transfers. "We can't our business to what others are doing " has been spouted countless times as other clubs have been strengthening key areas.

I don't care what others do as few other clubs have as urgent needs as us, due to neglect in previous windows.

Wiltshire Wolfie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Shi and Sellars are not the inspiring captains that we need for our ship. Do prospective new players chat with them and sense their emptiness and maybe desperation? Is Wolverhampton not a desirable place to move to for them?? Things have stalled badly since Shi "took overall control and influence" and Jorge Mendes has gone very quiet. We need to stop the nonsense of signing "players with potential etc" and then farm them out to Grasshoppers. Our focus should be on our own team and manager, who needs backing. Every passing day of late shows me that my worries for the coming season are totally justified. Are we trying to sell Neves for big bucks first and then and only then, spend a few quid..?? The apparent inertia at our club is of great concern.

Back
Top Bottom