Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The first Wolves team you saw.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does it always hold a special place for you, no matter what they were like?
I consider myself lucky in that the first Wolves team I watched contained the likes of John Richards, Willie Carr, Kenny Hibbitt, albeit a season after relegation.
I absolutely love Nuno's Wolves, but that side of the 70s will always be the one I remember most fondly.
Maybe its also partly down to my young age, the newness, and the excitement of setting out on a Wolves supporting journey at that time.

Same era as me, I'll add Steve Daley to your list of players.
Richards, Hibbitt, Daley....... still my all time favourite players.

Wolf79

Groupie
Reaction score
August 74, I think it was 1st match if the season at home to Liverpool. It was a night match & we drew 0-0. The one & only time I went to a game with my dad & also the only time I ever sat in the old Molineux street stand. Can’t tenner the exact starting line would have been something like

Parkes
Parkin
Palmer
McCall
Munro
Bailey
Hibbitt
Dayley
Richards
Kingdon
Wagstaff

I think the following game we beat Newcastle at home 4-1 with super Kenny Hibbitt getting all 4.

Hooked from day 1 & always proud to support Wolves even in the dark days of the B****s

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
August 1968, at home to QPR

PARKES
PARKIN THOMSON,
BAILEY WOODFIELD HOLSGROVE ,
KENNING WIGNALL DOUGAN KNOWLES WAGSTAFFE .

Unforgettable day

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
Everton at home on Boxing Day 1970, an absolutely freezing day played on a frozen pitch.
Parkes,Shaw,Parkin,Bailey,Munro,McAlle,Hibbitt,Gould,Dougan,Wagstaffe.
Two goals from Dougan captured by the Star Soccer cameras. I've seen the highlights on YouTube, and I was amazed to spot my late father and grandfather sitting on the front row of the Molineux Street stand! I was on the South Bank and couldn't get over the size of the terracing compared with the rest of the ground. Hardly missed a home game since.

Golden Moth

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not sure exactly who my first game was against, but it was definitely 1954 and they wore red and white stripes! But the team I first remember clearly is Finlayson, Stuart, Harris, Clamp, Wright, Flowers, Deeley, Mason, Murray, Broadbent, Mullen. That would be about 1957.

That's pretty much the first team I remember too.
My first game was against Luton in the 55/56 season. We lost 1-2 but as a kid I was hooked by the collective energy of the crowd, I'd never experienced anything like it.
I tried to google the lineup for that day, but without success. Wasn't there a Wolves site with, amongst other things, all time records of lineups? Can't find it, anyone know if it still exists?

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a kid they were the best team so I supported them .I remember the 1960 Cup final mostly because all my family supported Blackburn .

But my first game was in 1964/5 we lost 4-1 at Highbury and were relegated.First 15 games we got three points .

Flowers and Waggy played ,so did McLaren, Thomson,Harris ,Woodfield,Miller,Wharton,, Crawford ,Woodruff and Kemp.

Last edited:

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd gone to Vale away in the December of 1997. A day that remains the coldest I've ever been at a match.

My first one at Molineux was Wolves 1 Birmingham 3 in February, 1998. I found out recently it was the same day that the actor Dermot Morgan (Father Ted) passed away.

I remember going home from that game thinking Peter Ndlovu was the greatest player I'd ever seen.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kendall
Bellamy
Venus
Streete
Robertson
Vaughan
Robinson
Thompson
Bull
Mutch
Dennison

Wasn't the first team I saw, pretty sure Barnes, Chard, Holmes, Stout, Clarke and Purdie all played that night, but the team above is the one that I saw the most of

Arcadius

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wolves v Blackpool Saturday 14th Sept 1957, I still have the programme! My very first match with my dad, I was nearly 6!

Wolves team was :

Finlayson
Stuart Harris
Clamp Wright Flowers
Deeley Broadbent Murray Booth Wilshaw

As I recall we won 3-1. What a day! I will always remember the teams running out on to the pitch, it was a magical moment, although I have always remembered the score I have no memories of the match!

Last edited:

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was 1 of 30,000 + to see Wolves thump Bury 4-1 in the old second division in 1967. Can't remember the team exactly but it would have included; Parkes, Thompson, Taylor, Holsgrove, Flowers, Knowles, Hunt, Bailey, Burnside, Mcilmoyle, Dougan etc...

West End Wolf

Reaction score
1987 (I looked it up) away to Wrexam pishing it down with rain 0-0 draw croud chanting digger, digger, digger me miss-hearing it thought are they allowed to chant that?

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Same era as me, I'll add Steve Daley to your list of players.
Richards, Hibbitt, Daley....... still my all time favourite players.
I think Steve Kindon would be fourth on my list, but yes, Steve Daley too.
I spent my 8th birthday as a guest of the club, watching the players train, tour round Molineux etc. Joe Gardner brought out a black and white squad photo... said if I could name all the players on it I could have it. So I did...and I’ve still got it!

Reactions: Ian

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last edited:

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
19 August 1972 v Spurs at home. Won 3-2. Absolutely no recollection of the game or the team that day as I was 3! Only know I was there from my dad telling me he took me

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My first game was against Luton in the 55/56 season. We lost 1-2 but as a kid I was hooked by the collective energy of the crowd, I'd never experienced anything like it.
I tried to google the lineup for that day, but without success. Wasn't there a Wolves site with, amongst other things, all time records of lineups? Can't find it, anyone know if it still exists?
That game was played on March 17 1956. Team:
Williams, Stuart, Shorthouse; Slater, Wright, Flowers; Hancocks, Broadbent, Wilshaw, Booth, Mullen.

Johnny Hancocks scored our goal

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well there's the first Wolves team I saw and the first I can really remember. On the latter it might mean players who played but not particularly on the field at the same time.

The first time I can remember being at Molineux was a night game and as I was five in November 1958 and dad -now gone as all my uncles- I have never been able to confirm it. As it's a lifetime of support and embedded into family genetics the first time was never really of interest until I became older and reflected.

I know I was in a seat so that would be the Molineux Street stand. I recall the floodlights, smell of tobacco and ale and the overwhelming feeling of feeling intimidated by the noise. I was with dad who wasn't particularly a football fan but as with most in Wolverhampton at the time Wolves were a source of great community pride - football fans or not. I remember him having to reassure me several times as to the safety of the event!

I have managed to get the game pinned down as far as I can to a European Cup game on November 12th 1958 against Schalke and a 2-2 draw. The records show the away leg was lost 2-1 and so went out at the first hurdle. The team at Molineux was;

Sidebottom, Stuart, Harris, Slater, Wright, Flowers, Deeley, Broadbent, Jackson, Mason, Mullen.

Of those players I recall Ron Flowers the best as he played until the late sixties and Peter Broadbent although not with the same clarity, and what players they were. I recall less the rest but saw them in the early sixties (those that played then as some had retired) it wasn't until I was ten in Sept1963 that my memory starts to work properly. So the first players and teams I remember better would be.

Davies, Maclaren,Harris, Galley,Hawkins, Buckley, Kirkham,Knighton. Knowles. McIlmoyle . Thomson ,Wagstaffe. Wharton. Wilson Woodfield, Woodruff.

Then from the mid sixties and through the seventies and for the next 15 years or so the wonderful players mentioned already on the thread who came in addition to some of those above and gave us times -while not exactly in the fifties class - with much charisma and personality many of whom are rightly remembered with respect and affection both for their ability and service they gave.

Last edited:

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First started following the team in the mid to late 70 so similar team to Mutchy and others, though with no one else in the family really into football I didn't start going to matches till I was old enough to go on my own around 1983

so would have been the likes of Burridge, Palmer, Humphrey, Dodd, Hibbitt, Butler , Cartwright, Clarke, Eves, Crainie

a few poor year and bad times then Bull and Mutch and started enjoying wacthing the team again

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First match. Broadbent scored 22 goals that year 20 in the league from midfield. I also say 7-0 against Portsmouth and 1-1 against Spurs which I remember reasonably well.
Broadbent opened the scoring after 10 minutes at the South Bank end with a header. I have a photo of that goal somewhere

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
19 August 1972 v Spurs at home. Won 3-2. Absolutely no recollection of the game or the team that day as I was 3! Only know I was there from my dad telling me he took me
Remember that game well. John Richards put us 2-0 up after about 10 minutes. Spurs pulled it back to 2-2, but Kenny Hibbitt got the winner.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bournemouth vs Wolves 1985 .Still got the programme somewhere.Bournemouth managed by Rednapp.Wolves plunging through the divisions.Was in the home end as my mate father was a fanatical Bournemouth supporter About 100 Wolves supporters.Good game.Purdie down the wing.Lost 3-2.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My first game had a little seen central midfield of Fernando 'classiest midfielder until Moutinho' Gomes and Robert 'only just retired' Niestroj (2-1 win at Bolton, FA Cup 1999).

Robbie Keane scored both our goals, while Bolton's goal was scored by our current Academy Head...!

Last edited:

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bournemouth vs Wolves 1985 .Still got the programme somewhere.Bournemouth managed by Rednapp.Wolves plunging through the divisions.Was in the home end as my mate father was a fanatical Bournemouth supporter About 100 Wolves supporters.Good game.Purdie down the wing.Lost 3-2.
I remember that game for the heavy rain as the game finished and getting soaked returning to the car!
David Barnes and Andy King scored for us.
In the Bournemouth midfield was Sean O'Driscoll who was one of our Academy coaches about three years ago.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I consider myself lucky in that the first Wolves team I watched contained the likes of John Richards, Willie Carr, Kenny Hibbitt, albeit a season after relegation.
I absolutely love Nuno's Wolves, but that side of the 70s will always be the one I remember most fondly.
Maybe its also partly down to my young age, the newness, and the excitement of setting out on a Wolves supporting journey at that time.
My first game was a 2 all against sheffield united 1995ish? That's all I could tell you about it. Not sure i could name a player in the line up.

I do have an attachment to the teams that went up under Jones and Mccarthy, as well as obviously this one.

Bangla Wolf

Reaction score
If someone can help, my first game was in the 1970s. At Molineux, sat on the wall at the side of the pitch, Waterloo Road stand. Willie Carr scored a volley at the north bank end. A sunny day. T shirt weather. Thanks much.

Vicious Sid

Reaction score
Not sure exactly who my first game was against, but it was definitely 1954 and they wore red and white stripes! But the team I first remember clearly is Finlayson, Stuart, Harris, Clamp, Wright, Flowers, Deeley, Mason, Murray, Broadbent, Mullen. That would be about 1957.
Could have been the same game as my first - Sunderland, 15th Sept. 1954. We won 2-0
I was 6 so don't remember much.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember that game for the heavy rain as the game finished and getting soaked returning to the car!
David Barnes and Andy King scored for us.
In the Bournemouth midfield was Sean O'Driscoll who was one of our Academy coaches about three years ago.
Yes that brings back memories.Heavy pitch on top of the rain.Thanks for goal scorers.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First game I remember was Man City away in 1972. I think it finished 1-1 but I could be wrong.
The one thing I always remember is a guy behind me who was obsessed with John McAlle.

Golden Moth

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That game was played on March 17 1956. Team:
Williams, Stuart, Shorthouse; Slater, Wright, Flowers; Hancocks, Broadbent, Wilshaw, Booth, Mullen.

Johnny Hancocks scored our goal

Thanks BSK........ takes one back.

Death Owl

Reaction score
My first recollection was sitting on the wall in the Waterloo Rd stand. It would have been about 1971/72 and I was 8 yrs old. We played Man Utd and I think George Best and Bobby Charlton was in their team. I also remember a night match when we had just signed Steve Kindon. He came on as a sub and he played on the left wing. No idea who we played but just recall him breathing really heavily after a run. I said to my dad I thought he was having a heart attack. Always had a bit of a soft spot for 'Tank' though. Once he got his legs pumping there was no stopping him.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could have been the same game as my first - Sunderland, 15th Sept. 1954. We won 2-0
I was 6 so don't remember much.
Just checked that against the record book. Yes, date is right and it was against Sunderland. But the score was 0-0.

The only other possible for me is November 20th 1954, a 4-1 win over Sheff Utd. But I remember the weather being sunny, so it was early season, probably the Sunderland game. I don't remember the score.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This game on Polish Canal+:

Man Utd 1-0 Wolves

I had been following for a number of years but it was barely impossible to see any game live on TV in Poland while we were in the 2nd tier and the internet stream business was only starting.

According to the BBC website, the squad was:

Wolves: Oakes, Irwin, Butler, Craddock, Naylor, Newton (Silas 75), Cameron, Ince, Rae, Blake, Camara.
Subs Not Used: Murray, Iversen, Okoronkwo, Clingan.

It was a pretty good game from our side, considering the early season struggle we had back then. Henri Camara missed at least one sitter. The only thing I don't understand is why did we have Matt Murray on the bench? I thought he was injured for the whole season except the first game in Blackburn? Anyway, even a half-fit Matt Murray was still better than Oakes.

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A special place? Not really... on a freezing-cold boxing day in 1980, I saw a 4-1 home defeat to Nottingham Forest where the team was (according to the interweb):

Paul Bradshaw
Emlyn Hughes
Mike Hollifield
Colin Brazier
Geoff Palmer
Kenny Hibbitt
Hugh Atkinson (replaced by Andy Gray)
Peter Daniel
John Richards (Goal)
Norman Bell
Mel Eves

I was only 7 so I don't really recall too much about it and the team that first held a special place for me was the Turner-era Wolves of the late-eighties.

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
born in 1980 and first game in '85, so i was told, can't remember anything about it as i was of the age when i would have been more concerned with eating dirt, that soon changed though.

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Is this the match: Wolverhampton Wanderers - Luton Town 1:2 (Premier League 1955/1956, 35. Round)

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was 4 When I first went to molineux (vs Northampton in May 1989), so sadly I can’t remember that team.

The team/era that has a special place for me is the 93-96 team. It took Joao Moutinho to displace Neil Emblen as my favourite ever Wolves Midfielder.

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If someone can help, my first game was in the 1970s. At Molineux, sat on the wall at the side of the pitch, Waterloo Road stand. Willie Carr scored a volley at the north bank end. A sunny day. T shirt weather. Thanks much.

Okay, so, if we assume that t-shirt weather means Aug-Sep and Mar-May then there are some contenders at home:

March 75: 7-1 vs. Chelsea
March 75: 5-2 vs. Luton
September 75: 2:0 vs. Birmingham (Carr got both)
April 76: 5-0 vs. Newcastle
March 79: 1-1 vs. Man City

Any of those?

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Henri Camara missed at least one sitter. The only thing I don't understand is why did we have Matt Murray on the bench? I thought he was injured for the whole season except the first game in Blackburn? Anyway, even a half-fit Matt Murray was still better than Oakes.
Camara terrified the Man Utd backline - he missed a good one-on-one and a couple of other half chances, if memory serves me well.

I'm surprised Murray was on the bench too. I suspect they were worried about his kicking before realising the extent of the injury (it was a back problem, right?). Oakes was good that season though, particularly in the 1-0 win vs. Man Utd and 1-1 draw with Liverpool in early 2004. Then Jones went and replaced him with Paul Jones, who was generally hopeless.

Bangla Wolf

Reaction score
Okay, so, if we assume that t-shirt weather means Aug-Sep and Mar-May then there are some contenders at home:

March 75: 7-1 vs. Chelsea
March 75: 5-2 vs. Luton
September 75: 2:0 vs. Birmingham (Carr got both)
April 76: 5-0 vs. Newcastle
March 79: 1-1 vs. Man City

Any of those?

Thanks for your efforts.
It was always sunny tshirt weather in those days ☺️. But yes, it was still daylight when we came out.
It was a 1 nil or 1-1 i think. Definitely Willie Carr scored.
Not a high profile game like Chelsea or Man U. We had gone because it was deemed a "safe" day to take a 7 and 9 year old.
Cheers, been looking for this for a while.

Back
Top Bottom