Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The first Wolves team you saw.

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Early 70s team was the first I remember watching, be it only highlights on MOTD and the Big Match. First game I was at was 1990 last game of the season at Upton Park. Same score as this season 4-0. Was stuck in with the West Ham crowd.

The only thing that made me smile was the guy behind me who constantly abused Leroy Rosenior. I would hate to hear what he was like when they were losing.

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score
This was mine, September 83, God knows what possessed me to go again!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201120-170744_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201120-170744_Chrome.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 17

WufflerMuffler

Groupie
Reaction score
Born in 45 just down the road from Molineux so as a kid could hear the roar and see night sky lit and via the Honved and Spartak games came quickly to understand that we were, as a magazine put it, The Team The Continentals Couldn't Master! Dunno who was playing in first game, just remember sort of wooden walkway at left of Molineux Hotel and being surrounded by million pairs of grown-ups legs hurrying to get in. Loved the Peter's, Broadbent and Knowles. Saw Johnny Habcocks smoking ar a bus-stop, Chris Crowe and Peter McParland buying tea in Lyons, but also, luckily, all of those Wolves Wonders actually playing footie! Doog and Richards, the accurately-named Eddie Clamp, and of course Waggy. The best team had me in every position- that was true of every kick around for miles, kids were/are always playing for beloved Wolves! Enjoyed Wolves 8-1 Man City quite a lot!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My first game was a 2 all against sheffield united 1995ish? That's all I could tell you about it. Not sure i could name a player in the line up.

I do have an attachment to the teams that went up under Jones and Mccarthy, as well as obviously this one.
Nathan Blake scored 2 for Sheffield, ran Richards ragged that night.
John de Wolf brought the scores back to 2-1 in the 90th minute and deep into injury time Neil Emblen equalised with a looping header.

Never felt like we would lose that season.

Game was marred by Wolves fans punching a dad with his kid who was minding his own business in the subway

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First Wolves team I saw on a grainy TV back in Sweden?
I only remembers Kenny Hibbitt.
I guess JR was in there somewhere,Derek Parkin as well..perhaps Zico and George with his frill.
I don´t remember them though..I only remembers Kenny Hibbitt and the pumas.
It is good enough.I don´t have to remember anything more.
Childhood dreams from a time simplier.
It was good days.

Reaction score
When I was a young kid, I saw a number of matches at Molineux but I've forgotten most of them. The first one I can definitely remember, for the wrong reason, was in January 1957 when Bournemouth did a giant killing act on us by beating us 1-0.

Williams
Stuart
Harris
Slater
Wright
Flowers
Hooper
Broadbent
Bonson
Booth
Mullen

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does it always hold a special place for you, no matter what they were like?
I consider myself lucky in that the first Wolves team I watched contained the likes of John Richards, Willie Carr, Kenny Hibbitt, albeit a season after relegation.
I absolutely love Nuno's Wolves, but that side of the 70s will always be the one I remember most fondly.
Maybe its also partly down to my young age, the newness, and the excitement of setting out on a Wolves supporting journey at that time.
Same here. A kid watching Wolves 1970s - memories to be cherished forever. Hughie Curran, Doog, King John, Waggy, Jimmy Mac, Kenny, Big Frank, Daley, Parkin and Captain Fantastic Mike Bailey. My god those were the days.

MelbourneWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
11 June 1972 Melbourne Olympic Park vs Australia. Australia won 1 nil.
Team was Phil Parkes, Bernard Shaw, Derek Parkin, Daniel Hegan, Frank Munro (Gerard Taylor 2nd ½), John McAlle, Jim McCalliog, Alan Sunderland, Hugh Curran, Derek Dougan, Stephen Daley (David Wagstaffe 70')
Loved them ever since
The next time I saw them was 2 April 2019 vs ManU Wolves won 2 - 1

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Saw a couple of games earlier but the first I really remember (mainly because I remember my Dad being so upset on the walk back to the car) was Aldershot away in the Play-Off Final.

GK 1 Mark Kendall
RB 2 Steve Stoutt
CB 3 David Barnes
CB 4 Floyd Streete (c)
LB 5 Rob Kelly
RM 6 Nicky Clarke
CM 7 Jon Purdie
CM 8 Andy Thompson
FW 9 Steve Bull
FW 10 Andy Mutch
LM 11 Micky Holmes

Bit of a conditioner as for what life as a Wolves fan would be all about!

Started going more regularly the next season so the first team I fell in love with was the Division 4 / Sherpa Van winning team.

GK 1 Mark Kendall
RB 2 Gary Bellamy
LB 3 Andy Thompson
CB 4 Floyd Streete
CB 5 Ally Robertson (c)
CM 6 Phil Robinson
RM 7 Robbie Dennison
CM 8 Keith Downing
CF 9 Steve Bull
CF 10 Andy Mutch
LM 11 Micky Holmes

Halcyon days as an 8 year-old kid. We seemed to regularly win home matches scoring 4 or 5 with Bully scoring hat-tricks for fun.

Reaction score
First Wolves team I saw on a grainy TV back in Sweden?
I only remembers Kenny Hibbitt.
I guess JR was in there somewhere,Derek Parkin as well..perhaps Zico and George with his frill.
I don´t remember them though..I only remembers Kenny Hibbitt and the pumas.
It is good enough.I don´t have to remember anything more.
Childhood dreams from a time simplier.
It was good days.

worc.wolves

Groupie
Reaction score
Wolves 2 Manchester City 2 - April 22nd 1998

Wolverhampton: Segers, Wright, Froggatt, Simpson, Sedgley, Curle,
Goodman, Slater, Bull, Keane (Emblen 63), Osborn.

Subs Not Used: Claridge, Freedman.
Sent Off: Sedgley (63).
Goals: Margetson 34 og, Simpson 85.

Man City: Margetson, Edghill, Horlock, Jobson, Weikens, Vaughan,
Whitley, Pollock (Russell 86), Goater, Bishop (Brown 52),
Bradbury (Rosler 52).

Booked: Horlock.
Goals: Pollock 13, Horlock 63.

Att: 24,458
Ref: M R Halsey (Welwyn Garden City)

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
My first proper game was the 1979 FA Cup Semi Final at Villa Park. Had seen us in a few friendlies in Wales before that. My dad built me collapsible stool to stand on so I could see (was in the opposite end to the Holte End). I remember Villa fans shouting abuse at Wolves fans on the walk back to the car after the game. Think it's called banter these days.

Can't find the Wolves lineup from that day anywhere.

Edit. Just looked it up in my Wolves encyclopaedia.

Bradshaw
Palmer
Parkin
Daniel
McAlle
Berry
Hibbitt
Daley
Rafferty
Richards
Carr
Patching (Sub)

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does it always hold a special place for you, no matter what they were like?
I consider myself lucky in that the first Wolves team I watched contained the likes of John Richards, Willie Carr, Kenny Hibbitt, albeit a season after relegation.
I absolutely love Nuno's Wolves, but that side of the 70s will always be the one I remember most fondly.
Maybe its also partly down to my young age, the newness, and the excitement of setting out on a Wolves supporting journey at that time.
I still feel quite nostalgic for the Wolves team of 1982-83 season, my first season of supporting Wolves.

Had such a feel good vibe after nearly going bust in the close season then bouncing straight back up. Plus the team photo that season in front of the old North Bank looked so fresh (I got it in the shoot! magazine at the time).

They also had the best Wolves strip ever in my opinion

Wayne Clarke, Andy Gray, Mel Eve's, Burridge, Geoff Palmer, Kenny Hibbiyt, John Humphrey, Peter Daniel etc

If only we knew what lay ahead....

Neptune

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
at Vicarage Road, Hoddle's first game in charge

Oakes
Lowe
Lescott
Craddock
Naylor
Cooper
Olofinjana
Andrews
Kennedy
Sturridge
Cort

They scored in the first 5 minutes, Seyi equalized on 35 minutes and that was it (Hoddle, 1-1 scoreline, of course)
Still the only time I've seen Wolves in the flesh

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
A special place? Not really... on a freezing-cold boxing day in 1980, I saw a 4-1 home defeat to Nottingham Forest where the team was (according to the interweb):

Paul Bradshaw
Emlyn Hughes
Mike Hollifield
Colin Brazier
Geoff Palmer
Kenny Hibbitt
Hugh Atkinson (replaced by Andy Gray)
Peter Daniel
John Richards (Goal)
Norman Bell
Mel Eves

I was only 7 so I don't really recall too much about it and the team that first held a special place for me was the Turner-era Wolves of the late-eighties.
My first game too.. got absolutely drenched. The old Family Enclosures Waterloo Road...

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't remember the full team but Bert Williams was in goal and Johnny Hancocks and Jimmy Mullen were in the side along with Billy Wright. It would be around 1949/50. I asked for a Bert Williams green goal keepers jersey for Christmas, and Santa duly obliged.
I bet your mom knitted it for you as well.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Early 70s team was the first I remember watching, be it only highlights on MOTD and the Big Match. First game I was at was 1990 last game of the season at Upton Park. Same score as this season 4-0. Was stuck in with the West Ham crowd.

The only thing that made me smile was the guy behind me who constantly abused Leroy Rosenior. I would hate to hear what he was like when they were losing.
Was it Alf Garnett?

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
May 11 1968
Parkes
Thomson
Woodfield
Holsgrove
Parkin
Bailey
Knowles
Kenning
Dougan
Wignall
Wagstaffe
Crowd 41000. Result 2-1
Tottenham hotspur. Peter Knowles brother was playing for spurs and Jimmy greaves.

Last edited:

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
May 11 1968
Parkes
Thomson
Woodfield
Holsgrove
Parkin
Bailey
Knowles
Kenning
Dougan
Wignall
Wagstaffe
Crowd 41000. Result 2-1
Tottenham hotspur. Peter Knowles brother was playing for spurs and Jimmy greaves.
parkin and wignall scored.parkin was R.B.where he should have stayed and I think would have played for england in that position.wignall was short term but that season scored 9 in 12 and helped keep us up

Back
Top Bottom