Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The first Wolves team you saw.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Does it always hold a special place for you, no matter what they were like?
I consider myself lucky in that the first Wolves team I watched contained the likes of John Richards, Willie Carr, Kenny Hibbitt, albeit a season after relegation.
I absolutely love Nuno's Wolves, but that side of the 70s will always be the one I remember most fondly.
Maybe its also partly down to my young age, the newness, and the excitement of setting out on a Wolves supporting journey at that time.

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Wolves team in the first game I went to was:

Finlayson; Stuart, Harris; Clamp, Wright, Slater; Lill, Broadbent, Murray, Booth, Henderson

Some all-time greats in that side, who were First Division champions in 1958/59 but sadly that didn't prevent them from going down 1-3 to Newcastle at Molineux.

Brilliant though the players of that era were, I most fondly remember Ronnie Allen's side who won promotion in 1967. Cheering them on from the North Bank was a wonderful experience.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be something along the lines of :

Fred Davies

Gerry Taylor
Dougie Woodfield
John Holsgrove
Bobby Thomson

Terry Wharton
Mike Bailey
Peter Knowles
David Wagstaffe

Hughie McIlmoyle
Ernie Hunt

A very good team with plenty of goals in it and some very underrated players. A good blend of skill and grit.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can't remember the full team but Bert Williams was in goal and Johnny Hancocks and Jimmy Mullen were in the side along with Billy Wright. It would be around 1949/50. I asked for a Bert Williams green goal keepers jersey for Christmas, and Santa duly obliged.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mine was the 88-89 3rd division team in the Sherpa Van against Northampton, we won 3-1 and id like to say Bully got a hat trick but I think im wrong! I was 8 so struggling to name the eleven that day but that squad including Kendall, Robertson, Bellamy, Thommo, Streete, Dennison, Bully and Mutch were absolutely magical to me as a schoolboy.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves 5-1 Arsenal

Can't find the whole lineup.

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
1971 v Derby County. Richards with a brace in a 2 - 1 win. Dougan, Hibbitt, Parkes, McAlle. What a team we had!

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My actual first ever game was Blackpool away 1976.... But as I was only 4 I don't remember a lot about the team as such... Went to a few homes games around that period with my dad late 70s....fa cup semi finals against arsenal at villa park, Spurs at Hillsborough and the league Cup final 1980.......but although I do remember a lot of the players I feel my true experiences of following wolves come when you start going on your own as such..... That started for me with the 4th division teams.... From around 1987ish onwards......didnt miss a game home and away from January 87 up until about 1992 ish...... Loved that period watching wolves but I think the last 3 seasons under nuno has finally toppled it...

Last edited:

Welford Wolf

Reaction score
My first game was the big one at Highfield Road Coventry 29th April 1967.

The team were:- Parkes, Wilson, Thomson, Bailey Woodfield, Holsgrove, Knowles, Hunt, Dougan, Wharton and Wagstaffe with Graham Hawkins sub.

Their programme had the faces of all the captains of the teams in the division, so Ron Flowers was there but was not near the team at that time, and had played his last game for the club, so I missed seeing him play by about 5 months.

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Fred Davies

Gerry Taylor
Dougie Woodfield
John Holsgrove
Bobby Thomson

Terry Wharton
Mike Bailey
Peter Knowles
David Wagstaffe

Hughie McIlmoyle
Ernie Hunt

A very good team with plenty of goals in it and some very underrated players. A good blend of skill and grit.
Around the same time as me. My first season was the one after being relegated. So 65/66. So some setbacks like Knowles retiring a few years later. But I was able to see the emergence of that terrific side of the early’70s.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the Wolves team /squad of players I remember first seeing at Molinuex

1963-64 season squad​

SqdPlayerFromPosition
Jim Barron
(ENG)
Goalkeeper
Peter Broadbent
(ENG)
Forward
Ray Crawford
(ENG)
Centre forward
Chris Crowe
(ENG)
Midfielder/Forward
Fred Davies
(ENG)
Goalkeeper
Ted Farmer
(ENG)
Centre forward
Malcolm Finlayson
(SCO)
Goalkeeper
Ron Flowers
(ENG)
Midfielder
John GalleyCentre forward
Freddie GoodwinMidfielder
Gerry Harris
(ENG)
Full back
Alan Hinton
(ENG)
Outside Left
John Kirkham
(ENG)
Wing half
Peter Knowles
(ENG)
Inside forward
Dick Le Flem
(ENG)
Outside Left
Jimmy Melia
(ENG)
Midfielder
Jimmy Murray
(ENG)
Centre forward
George Showell
(ENG)
Defender
Barry Stobart
(ENG)
Centre forward
Bobby Thomson
(ENG)
Left back
Terry WhartonOutside right
David WoodfieldCentre half
Bobby WoodruffMidfielder

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The team were:- Parkes, Wilson, Thomson, Bailey Woodfield, Holsgrove, Knowles, Hunt, Dougan, Wharton and Wagstaffe with Graham Hawkins sub.

Their programme had the faces of all the captains of the teams in the division, so Ron Flowers was there but was not near the team at that time, and had played his last game for the club, so I missed seeing him play by about 5 months.
Me too. Birthday treat.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Tuesday 19 August 1980

wolves v Man Utd

Paul Bradshaw
Colin brazier
Derek parkin
Geoff palmer
George Berry
Emlyn hughes
Peter daniel
Willie carr
Melvyn Eves
John richards
Andy Gray

1-0 to Mighty Wolves George Berry 90 mins goal

wolfinexile

Reaction score

Fred Davies

Gerry Taylor
Dougie Woodfield
John Holsgrove
Bobby Thomson

Terry Wharton
Mike Bailey
Peter Knowles
David Wagstaffe

Hughie McIlmoyle
Ernie Hunt

David Woodfield. Solid centre half but a bit slow.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Earliest memory was cheltenham at home in fa cup 87, we went a goal down to a young Brett Angel goal, but ultimately won 5 1. Think I went to a few before that though.

Last edited:

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1992 at home to Portsmouth I believe, 1–1. I was about 6/7 at the time.

All I really recall is Birch scoring for us. I think it was a miss hit cross that went in. Fairly sure Guy Whittingham scored for Pompey.

The first player I truly ‘loved’ as a youth was David Kelly, and was devastated when we sold him. Then Lee Naylor and Keith Curle. I know, I know, I was spoilt for choice of stars to choose from!

The kids these days don’t know how lucky they are!

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
December 1945 versus Coventry City, last war season. Won 1-0, Jimmy Dunn the scorer and I was right behind the goal in the North Bank when he scored. Even as old and decrepit as I am now the memory will remain with me until the end. I so loved the Wolves of the 40s/50s/early 60s, that time will never be beaten and it was such a privelege to be around and watch them in those days. Heroes and more, all of them. None to compare with Peter Broadbent though, what an entertainer!

SWest Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
First memory was in the late ish 80’s. A team containing Shane Westley and Keith Downing! Two tough tacklers! Can remember the likes of Bull, Mutch, Dennison, Thommo, Kendall etc

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
62/63.2games at easter v.a.villa.h.3-1.a.2-0
davies
showell
thomson
kirkham
woodfield
flowers
wharton
murray
stobart
broadbent
hinton
crowe replaced stobart for the away game

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first time I saw Wolves was in a 2-1 defeat at Manchester United in 1963. I was only nine years old so can't remember the team that day. Though a love affair started that day, and despite the Wolves breaking my heart on a few occasions since then, the love affair is still going strong 57 years later.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boxing Day 1970, we beat Everton 2-0.
There was light snow on the pitch and it was an orange ball.
We sat in the Molineux Street Stand towards the NB and I could see myself on Star Soccer.
Just writing the above I can smell the hot dogs and program print.
8 years old. WOW! coming up 50 years ago.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

over 50 years ago but remember gerry taylor was injured and bailey played at fullback.
just looked up the team
parkes
bailey
thomson
knowles
hawkins
holsgrove
wharton
hunt
dougan
burnside
wagstaffe

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1979 v Man City, 7 years old stood on a crate on the old North Bank, score was 1 -1. Couldn't see much and didn't see the goal scored but remember the buzz I felt being part of it, was hooked.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Away v Tottenham - 10 October 1959. Lost 1-5.

Finlayson
Stuart
Harris
Slater
Flowers
Clamp
Lill
Mason
Murray
Booth
Deeley
trans.gif

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oakes
Butler
Irwin
Naylor
Craddock
Newton
Rae
Kennedy
Ince
Miller 421-soccer-ball.png
Iversen

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Fred Davies

Gerry Taylor
Dougie Woodfield
John Holsgrove
Bobby Thomson

Terry Wharton
Mike Bailey
Peter Knowles
David Wagstaffe

Hughie McIlmoyle
Ernie Hunt

That’s more or less my first memory oldgold.

I remember a striker we had around that time Frank Wignall who banged in a few goals for us. Hughie Mcllmoyle was good with his head, but hopeless with his feet!

There was also David Burnside who competed with Knowlesy in midfield I think as well. Nobody could compete with Peter imo.

Great names and great memories.

Coshamwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First game was 1968 at molineux against Liverpool. I was only 8 and was already upset that our blonde starlet Alun Evans,first 100k teenager had transferred to them making his debut against us scoring a brace in a 0-6 hammering. I was hooked though from then on. The seventies team still remain very much in my heart. The deadly duo, Waggy, Kenny, jimmy Mac,Mike Bailey,Frankie Munro helped the team finish regularly in the top half and were top six at times. What a side we were.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure exactly who my first game was against, but it was definitely 1954 and they wore red and white stripes! But the team I first remember clearly is Finlayson, Stuart, Harris, Clamp, Wright, Flowers, Deeley, Mason, Murray, Broadbent, Mullen. That would be about 1957.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That day when Spurs beat Wolves 5-1 I was at Molineux watching Wolves reserves hammer Barnsley Reserves 6-0. It poured down all aftrrnoon. Made worse by the score which kept coming through from WHL! And Spurs beat us 3-1 at Molineux in the return!

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kenny, Bobby Smith scored 4. Did you get a good ogle at Jayne Mansfield's leg draped over the front of the directors box? :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom