Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

the fight for final season positions

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This season has been, to put it mildly, very unpredictable. Some teams are surprisingly faring better than others. And Wolves are having a less than stellar year but still not too shabby, in 12 th.

Will this be the year that 3 of the top 6 big clubs will NOT qualify for any European competitions? I hope so. Tired of the stranglehold they’ve had over the PL for so long. It would be nice to shake things up a bit.
As it stands today, maybe Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea might not qualify but City, United ,Leicester and Liverpool should be ok.

That leaves West Ham, Everton, Villa with decent chances whilst Wolves, Palace, Leeds and Southampton with, well, needing a bit of luck .
How Will Wolves fare on the run in? Can we achieve a treble 7th. finish? .......now wouldn’t that take the cake......actually, the whole bakery :)

I deliberately didn’t factor the FA cup into this European chase.....it’s about league performance.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf I'm undecided about any of the traditional big six missing out, as much as would love to see their demise.

If we can't break the cartel, I don't want to see anyone else do it. I don't want them to gain the prestige and financially, giving them any advantage over us, in the next few seasons.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf I'm undecided about any of the traditional big six missing out, as much as would love to see their demise.

If we can't break the cartel, I don't want to see anyone else do it. I don't want them to gain the prestige and financially, giving them any advantage over us, in the next few seasons.
There you and I differ. If it can’t be us, then anyone else would be fine ( well, excluding Villa of course),

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gutted, from the title i was expecting to read about a new UEFA directive where any of the big 6 ending outside the European places could challenge issue a challenge to any team in them, which would be settled by a bit of queensbury rules between chairmen.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both Chelsea and West Ham win today and move further away.....irritating.

Pete

Groupie
Reaction score
1613431295201.png

this season looks very different but points wise we are nearer the top than last year

Attachments

• 1613431222287.png
    1613431222287.png
    152.7 KB · Views: 53

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm happy that Chelsea won. Not irritating at all imo.
I dislike Chelsea more than any other team.....by far.
Also, as I said in the thread, would love to close the gap with anybody above us and if it can’t be us, then see somebody else knock any of the top 6 out of Europe.
But, to each his own.

Last edited:

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd and Liverpool will reach Europe for sure, Leicester the only real contender to take a top four from Liverpool.

Arsenal and Spurs could miss out on Europe with Everton and West Ham the real threats to the sixth spot.

Us? Couldn't care less at this point, season is over, safe from relegation and any finish is going to be lower than last season. Be good to see is learn a few things in the run in to take into next season.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, as I said in the thread, would love to close the gap with anybody above us and if it can’t be us, then see somebody knock any of the top 6 out of Europe.
But, to each his own.
I don't like Chavski. I despise and detest the ****, the Clayheads, the Nosers and the Vile. Orders of magnitude difference.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would love to see Villa drop like a stone - they are looking increasingly jaded. I agree that the Cartel Six will be helped over the line where Europe is concerned. If any of them look like failing then that's when you will see outrageous decisions going in their favour.

Would be happy with a 10th to12th place finish for us, given what a mess of a season it has been.

PulverWolf

Reaction score
Looking down rather than up ...have a sneaky feeling Fulham might just get out of the mire ... IF and its a big IF they beat Burnley then only 5 points off them and Newcastle

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really think the match on Friday could well define the rest of our season. Take the win and confidence returns for us to kick on, lose and we'll just continue to struggle on until the end.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, as I said in the thread, would love to close the gap with anybody above us and if it can’t be us, then see somebody else knock any of the top 6 out of Europe.
But, to each his own.
No problem. I just don't want anyone underneath us closing the gap on ourselves. I feel the club has already had enough pressure for one season.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our aim should be a top half finish. I don’t think we will achieve it however if we do, all things considered, it would be a decent achievement.

Even allowing for covid, the quality in this league is nowhere near what it was c.15-20 years ago. With the right recruitment, good management, and a sprinkling of good fortune, there are a whole host of clubs who can easily challenge for those 5th-7th spots.

It’s the leap into the group above that’s so difficult.

Despite this season being pretty god damn awful, it’s why I still have hope we could ‘easily’ be right back up there next season, as long as we get this summer right both on and off the pitch.

Alienwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Looking down rather than up ...have a sneaky feeling Fulham might just get out of the mire ... IF and its a big IF they beat Burnley then only 5 points off them and Newcastle

Even though we are now edging towards safety, I can’t stop myself from hoping that those below us in the table continue to lose, as happened last night. I’ll gladly take 12th at the end of the season and move on to, what will hopefully be, a season of greater normality.
I did take a sneaky look at Fulham’s remaining fixtures, following their weekend win. Their final match of the season is Newcastle at home. That could be huge.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Even though we are now edging towards safety, I can’t stop myself from hoping that those below us in the table continue to lose, as happened last night. I’ll gladly take 12th at the end of the season and move on to, what will hopefully be, a season of greater normality.
I did take a sneaky look at Fulham’s remaining fixtures, following their weekend win. Their final match of the season is Newcastle at home. That could be huge.
Remember listening to a Newcastle fan a while ago about how much they hate Villa still for the way they behaved when they relegated them on the last day of the season about 10 years ago. I think they have enough to escape, but I'd be worried if I was them, Fulham are looking like the ones to make the relegation battle interesting and maybe get 30+ points, still think the bottom 3 is sorted though. Maybe 9 teams going for top 6 and most of them still dreaming of top 4. We're very close to our first meaningless end of season wind-down in a while (except for the money men looking at £2m a place!)

portugamerifinn

Groupie
Reaction score

Fulham have been a bit unlucky (or just wasteful). Since their terrible opening three matches, they've been very competitive, but they've underperformed their xG total by 8 goals, costing themselves ~9 points and a few spots in the standings.

If they can get 3 points when they finally make up their postponed match at Burnley tomorrow, they'll be 4 points behind Newcastle and 5 points behind Burnley/Brighton. Even a draw would have them 6-8 points behind those same clubs with 14 matches to play.

They have a chance.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we can pick up 2 or 3 wins, we've definitely got something to play for.

We've played Chelsea twice, Arsenal twice, been away to Liverpool and Utd. We have a chance to do the treble over Spurs...

We've more than a 1/3 of the season to go. You better believe Nuno will want to finish as high as possible.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn't give a toss about league position, long as we beat the Villa and the Albion in the return fixtures.

Mountie

Groupie
Reaction score
With the way things are this season I am happy to just stay up however I feel we can make a push for the top half of the table

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the way things are this season I am happy to just stay up however I feel we can make a push for the top half of the table
Theoretically there’s still another 42 point available to us.....just have to knuckle down and get them :)

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Id like us to win the next 2 and keep momentum up until the end of the season. It'd be nice to end the season on a run and give the players something to go away with and build on over the summer and next season. Momentum and confidence are so important to us.

7th could still theoretically get us into Europe next season (yes I know it relies on other teams and cup results) but thats what we should be aiming for. Its 7 points away with 14 games to play so is more than achievable.

Mountie

Groupie
Reaction score
Id like us to win the next 2 and keep momentum up until the end of the season. It'd be nice to end the season on a run and give the players something to go away with and build on over the summer and next season. Momentum and confidence are so important to us.

7th could still theoretically get us into Europe next season (yes I know it relies on other teams and cup results) but thats what we should be aiming for. Its 7 points away with 14 games to play so is more than achievable.
Very true Steve. With this topsy turvy season anything could happen. A few result go our way and we could be in the mix Europe. We all need to stay positive and behind the lads.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's no less achievable than Reading staying up and lots of folk seem to reckon that's a possibility.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

7th isn’t more than achievable. Would need 29 points from 14 games to match last seasons total, not going to happen.
The aim for me would be top half, big ask (10/3 at the bookies) but a far more realistic target.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
7th isn’t more than achievable. Would need 29 points from 14 games to match last seasons total, not going to happen.
The aim for me would be top half, big ask (10/3 at the bookies) but a far more realistic target.
What if it's lower than 59 points for 7th?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve certainly got it in us to make a push but, and I really hate sounding negative, I think our 7 points from a possible 9 flatters to deceive a little bit. I’m not sure we have the consistent top gear in us which we will need to make up lost ground, not this season anyway. It’s been so stop/start for us so far and I’ve always assumed that things would “click” for us in the second half of the season but I dunno...

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we can get through the season having lost Doc, Jota, Jimenez and the crowd and having played the longest season in history and we finish 12th, I think we’d have done well.
The players can have a proper break and a proper pre-season, 2 or 3 quality additions and go again.
Just look at the blades for how tough this league is, from euro contenders to relegation certs.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What if it's lower than 59 points for 7th?
Would need to be a hell of a lot lower!

You mention the 7 point gap to Everton but they do have 2 games in hand as well.

not being negative but I just think looking at the table as it stands 10th would be a great achievement. 7th would need almost championship winning form for 14 games, just not realistic.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would need to be a hell of a lot lower!

You mention the 7 point gap to Everton but they do have 2 games in hand as well.

not being negative but I just think looking at the table as it stands 10th would be a great achievement. 7th would need almost championship winning form for 14 games, just not realistic.
Everton have won 1 in 5 so its safe to say their form is a tad off.

Im not saying we will do it, im merely saying it is achievable (which it is) in the same way plenty on here were wetting their pants on here a few weeks back that we were in a relegation dog fight and Fulham were going to go past us.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think that the 7 points from the last 9 has papered over some massive cracks because we haven’t played well at all really, inc the Cup, for a while. However, IF we can play consistently like we did in the second half against Soton, keep our existing squad fit and get Boly back as well, there are not too many games in the final 13 that should worry us massively. 7 of those teams are above us in the league but many of them are beatable. They all have quality in them and the teams that we have to play that are below us will still be fighting but we are capable of making a good late run in to the top 10.
1 decent half of football doesn’t mean that we will make a good late run, but we can and we should try to, to build confidence for next season (in Fosun, the team and the supporters) and to help attract new players to the project.

Back
Top Bottom