Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The buck stops with Jeff Shi @ WWFC

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good analysis

FOSUN are sensible in their investment approach, they have money to spend and made a billion in profit last year but are investors and want to keep the investment sensible at £175 million and make a small profit unlike Villa and Newcastle who will just pour money in and probably make losses in pursuit of some Champions League mirage dream.

The promotion of Wolves in Asia is key to grow additional revenue streams and ultimately compete in revenue terms with the BIG 6, this will take years but in that time we should at least be competitive in the premiership which is better than can be said for Morgan.
Sorry Puddle Duck . Your are turning into an apologist .

It is an indisputable fact that a successful investment company needs at least two basic elements , luck perhaps being an uncontrollable third.
The two controllable being capital and wise industry appropriate management.
We do have adequate financial resources , we don’t have day to day appropriate off field football management .
Dan Ashworth is Newcastle’s solid attempt to get things right .
Ours is Scott Sellars ?

Last edited:

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It is an indisputable fact that a successful investment company needs at least two basic elements , luck perhaps being an uncontrollable third.
We do have adequate financial resources , we don’t have day to day appropriate off field football management .
Ours is Scott Sellars ?

I really don't understand the negatively to Sellars to be honest. He has had 40 years in the game, huge experience of coaching, a Masters Degree in Sports Directorship, and from what I have heard respect of other coaches.

But more to the point he had access to huge amounts of information on players, a recruitment team, and Mendes' little black book.

I don't think Dan Ashworth is going to know about players that Sellars doesn't.

The difference is which club has the deeper pockets and what are the instructions from his boss.

I for one would look at a few Championship players, if truth be told I bet so would Sellars, but we go down the Portuguese route perhaps too often.

It is increasingly hard to spend money and guarantee success - remember when Fulham were doing bits, I thought Villa would be a real top six contender - and Everton spending mega millions still get it wrong.

Let's see what the summer brings before we slag them off.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really don't understand the negatively to Sellars to be honest. He has had 40 years in the game, huge experience of coaching, a Masters Degree in Sports Directorship, and from what I have heard respect of other coaches.

But more to the point he had access to huge amounts of information on players, a recruitment team, and Mendes' little black book.

The difference is which club has the deeper pockets and what are the instructions from his boss.

I for one would look at a few Championship players, if truth be told I bet so would Sellars, but we go down the Portuguese route perhaps too often.

It is increasingly hard to spend money and guarantee success - remember when Fulham were doing bits, I thought Villa would be a real top six contender - and Everton spending mega millions still get it wrong.

For me he is just not up to the job for a top 6 wannabee club .I mentioned Dean Ashworth The negativity comes from a complete lack of any talent not provided by Mendes . And the inability to add muscularity and goals to our midfield and attack .Any football man could see after Vintinha and others, that Trincao and Hwang were not right . Burnley just shine a spotlight in those weaknesses year after year .

Last edited:

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's the same argument twice a year.

Squads been crying out for reinforcements at CB, CM, and ST for three to four seasons now.

We're at worryingly low levels of depth throughout the squad, the past 6 or so windows have been woeful.
Can't see that changing in the summer.

Puddled Duck

Reaction score
I don't see Newcastle making a realistic challenge to the top 6, there are many pretenders to that crown including West Ham and Leicester.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me he is just not up to the job for a top 6 wannabee club .I mentioned Dean Ashworth The negativity comes from a complete lack of any talent not provided by Mendes . And the inability to add muscularity and goals to our midfield and attack .Any football man could see after Vintinha and others, that Trincao and Hwang were not right . Burnley just shine a spotlight in those weaknesses year after year .

We have just had five years of Nuno. Mendes' very first client and all time bestie. Nuno sided with Mendes player suggestions every single time - and the reason Thelwell started looking for a new job (Allegedly)

But the lack of talent from anyone other than Mendes is Sellars fault?

Both Thelwell and Sellars have only been allowed to recruit kids for the academy, which appears to be doing ok.

As for Vintinha we still have no idea if he could cut it at the top end of the Premier League, nice footballer and I bet he is great at five a side - but on the evidence of a season here I am still not convinced its a huge error and if it was it was more about price not that Sellars couldn't see he was a good player. He has 2 goals in 32 appearance for Porto

From what you saw for wolves would you honestly say he was worth the £20m quoted - at the time of a pandemic?

We forget that when some of these decisions were being made we had not idea how the pandemic would play out, I think Jeff has been very cautious because of the insight he had from the Pandemic in China

If Vintinha turns out to be the next Messi then fair enough we have made a mistake, but I wasn't overly fussed we didn't take him

R

reanswolf

To be fair Scott Sellars wasnt here when we spent £35m on a young lad, but he was here when we spent £12m on Hwangi Chan.

he will be somewhat castigated until we start spending sensible money again, and more importantly money sensibly.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see Newcastle making a realistic challenge to the top 6, there are many pretenders to that crown including West Ham and Leicester.
For me I do see Newcastle doing better than us next season and going for top 6 or 7 with more investment in new players. Already Eddie Howe has moved the team from the brink of relegation to 9th without adding much to his squad, They are fresh and ambitious with their new Saudi owners. Which has lifted the clubs morale and expectations for their supports.
Just like it did when Fosun came into our club to invest with Portuguese help with players and from Jorge Mendes. These 3 or 4 factors have all gone stale imho at our club throughout the pandemic especially. Jeff and Fosun contrary to the Newcastle owner are giving us little signs for optimism for the future of our great club. With no signs of much investment in new players last 2 transfer windows and no redevelopment of Molineux the 10 year project is stalling to say the least.

After the pandemic lockdowns now the war in Ukraine we could do with a statement of intent by Jeff & Fosun this summer to lift the morale of WWFC and all associated.

Last edited:

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ashworth is a key signing for them, I can see them making a couple more signings of the level of Guimaraes and pushing on

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
15 years? Some on here won’t wait 15 minutes for us to achieve world domination

Just emphasising the silly point.
Steve Bull has "a background in football" but I would just about trust him to lead a dog on a walk, despite being a lovely guy.

Man Utd for all their might...get linked with Rio Ferdinand as DoF. Insanity.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

All depends on their recruitment this summer. If they bring in more players of the quality of Guimaraes then they will challenge for top 6 in my opinion.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have just had five years of Nuno. Mendes' very first client and all time bestie. Nuno sided with Mendes player suggestions every single time - and the reason Thelwell started looking for a new job (Allegedly)

But the lack of talent from anyone other than Mendes is Sellars fault?

Both Thelwell and Sellars have only been allowed to recruit kids for the academy, which appears to be doing ok.

As for Vintinha we still have no idea if he could cut it at the top end of the Premier League, nice footballer and I bet he is great at five a side - but on the evidence of a season here I am still not convinced its a huge error and if it was it was more about price not that Sellars couldn't see he was a good player. He has 2 goals in 32 appearance for Porto

From what you saw for wolves would you honestly say he was worth the £20m quoted - at the time of a pandemic?

We forget that when some of these decisions were being made we had not idea how the pandemic would play out, I think Jeff has been very cautious because of the insight he had from the Pandemic in China

If Vintinha turns out to be the next Messi then fair enough we have made a mistake, but I wasn't overly fussed we didn't take him
I don’t blame Sellars at all.
I blame Fosun and Shi for employing someone like him and not someone like Dean Ashworth to compliment our Portuguese advisors .
The result is unlike almost every team in this division we have no Englishmen bar Kilman and Coady - who Fosun inherited.
West ham Leicester Villa Leeds Brighton Southampton and the big six all have energetic robust British or North European players .to bring in to midfield or attack when needed.
But this has run from Thelwell to Sellars as you state and its Fosun blind spot.
If Neves and others go how will we spend the £60 million, how will we reinvest Traore, Moutinho Trincao , Jimenez and Neves salaries .
In men recommended by Sellars ! ? That will probably be a disaster .

Last edited:

optimuswolf

Reaction score
Football man = a man who has been around football since he watched games on his dads knee, has played it for years at any level, knows the smell of wet cut grass and deep heat.

See also football woman.

Regardless of what your views on the success of the current regime are (I think they are doing well), Shi is a proxy face of an international business which owns our football club. They dont give an f about you, they want cash, and lots of it.

Just also want to add, Bruno didnt write the book on tactics. He is a student. He will read the books of other more legendary football men. Jeff wont. He will read and manipulate our balance sheet.

Everyone on this forum, inducing me, have varying levels of delusion about how Fosun want to help us. They want to use us to make them money, and we all on here are happy with this to various degrees.
We had a benefactor owner for a decade or so. We were horrifically badly run dur I ng that period, reached the top flight once and finished bottom.

Right now you could make a case that we're the best run club in the whole country.

Since that first season jeff has got the vast majority of things right, by fosun, and as we're relatively aligned, by wolves too.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We just need freshening up and to address a couple of fully stand out key areas
You could have said that after our second season in the premier league . Nuno probably did . And left .

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t blame Sellars at all.
I blame Fosun and Shi for employing someone like him and not someone like Dean Ashworth to compliment our Portuguese advisors .
The result is unlike almost every team in this division we have no Englishmen bar Kilman and Coady - who Fosun inherited.
West ham Leicester Villa Leeds Brighton Southampton and the big six all have energetic robust British or North European players .to bring in to midfield or attack when needed.
But this has run from Thelwell to Sellars as you state and its Fosun blind spot.
If Neves and others go how will we spend the £60 million, how will we reinvest Traore, Moutinho Trincao , Jimenez and Neves salaries .
In men recommended by Sellars ! ? That will probably be a disaster .
I presume you mean Dan Ashworth? Who prior to the Albion had a lesser playing, coaching and recruitment career than Sellars. Barring this forum which is full of folk who don’t actually know anything about Sellars, he has a fantastic reputation in football. What does he supposedly lack for you? Had a big playing career, long coaching career and overseeing recruitment and professional qualifications that the vast majority of his peers don’t have.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I presume you mean Dan Ashworth? Who prior to the Albion had a lesser playing, coaching and recruitment career than Sellars. Barring this forum which is full of folk who don’t actually know anything about Sellars, he has a fantastic reputation in football. What does he supposedly lack for you? Had a big playing career, long coaching career and overseeing recruitment and professional qualifications that the vast majority of his peers don’t have.
Dean Ashworth is proven now . And Newcastle took on a proven man .
Sellars is unproven in this capacity . Playing careers mean nothing but that a man can play football .
If I could see one major recruitment that I could attribute to Sellars I would be more open .minded .
Can you list one to help ?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dean Ashworth is proven now . And Newcastle took on a proven man .
Sellars is unproven in this capacity .
If I could see one major improvement that I could attribute to Sellars I would be more open .minded .
Can you list one to help .
Since he’s overseen the academy it’s significantly improved. The current crop of under 18s is the best group we’ve produced ever

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Newcastle will be top half next season and then be top 6 thereafter.

I desperately wanted them to drop this season. Now that's not happening, it will take a lot to curtail their rise.

Wisdomwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
about 15 years ago a lot of people in Detroit were laughing at some Musk guy that "didn't have a background in the auto industry"
Same guy who’s business model is linked closely to Chinese markets. That’s his principal Tesla market.

Wisdomwolf

Groupie
Reaction score

Ours is Scott Sellars ?
Newcastle don’t have Jorge Mendes, so there. Ashworth has a mixed track record, but hey cause the media blow his trumpet he’s got to be brilliant. The same Ashworth overlooked by all top six clubs.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Newcastle don’t have Jorge Mendes, so there. Ashworth has a mixed track record, but hey cause the media blow his trumpet he’s got to be brilliant. The same Ashworth overlooked by all top six clubs.
I guess we can expect the big six to be headhunting Sellars then?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do we have Mendes ? Since Silva I am not sure.
I see no evidence of a clear analytical view of our weaknesses, and actions to strengthen .

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same guy who’s business model is linked closely to Chinese markets. That’s his principal Tesla market.

Okay, here's what we've got: the Rand corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people, under the supervision of the reverse vampires, are forcing our parents to go to bed early in a fiendish plot to eliminate the meal of dinner.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't blame Bruno for todays performance as the team never turned up for him
I've seen them play more intense football in training sessions with Bruno's coaching than today's performance.
Gotta give credit to Brighton they look like the team going for Europe. Our players were going for Europe with their flip flops on already on the beach in Marbella.
It's all up to Jeff now to freshen up for Bruno the squad for next season but it's more likely that he'll op out and sack Bruno and get another manager and give him no more new players rather and sell our best players on for Fosuns investment.

AS THE AMBITION 5 to 10 year PROJECT for EUROPE and top 6 team has all gone for Fosun International Imho

No New Managers needed a New Chairman or owners are needed for WWFC

Bruno worked wonders to get us to 8th in PL could have got us top 6 even maybe top 4 if Jeff and Fosun would have back his small squad in last summer and January transfer window especially!

Last edited:

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For all the legitimate complaints about Bruno, this bloke is the real issue. Knows next to nothing about football and it shows with the people he chooses to surround himself with. Vinny is a condescending and greedy ******* while Sellars is a glorified youth coach posing as a DoF. Utterly clueless.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Jeff's done well in running the finances of the club up till now. Some ppl have short memories of where we were barely 5 years ago when Fosun took over. Without Fosun we may have even been relegated to League one and ala Sunderland, still be languishing there.
Our fan outlook just a month ago was optimistic and positive.
A few poor performances since then have asked serious questions of the club and the management.
I am also a passionate Wolves supporter and have been highly disappointed over the past few weeks.
Let's see what happens in the remainder of the season and in the summer. Things change very quickly in football - Bruno was lauded just a month ago don't forget.
But blaming our current "plight" on Jeff and Fosun is uncalled for. In perspective they are doing a good job in my book. Doesn't mean they couldn't do better but it could be far worse.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our issue has been lack of goals for years. If we hadnt been so good defensively for the first half if the season we would be going down. We desperately need new ideas

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't blame Bruno for todays performance as the team never turned up for him
I've seen them play more intense football in training sessions with Bruno's coaching than today's performance.
Gotta give credit to Brighton they look like the team going for Europe. Our players were going for Europe with their flip flops on already on the beach in Marbella.
It's all up to Jeff now to freshen up for Bruno the squad for next season but it's more likely that he'll op out and sack Bruno and get another manager and give him no more new players rather and sell our best players on for Fosuns investment.

AS THE AMBITION 5 to 10 year PROJECT for EUROPE and top 6 team has all gone for Fosun International Imho

No New Managers needed a New Chairman or owners are needed for WWFC

Bruno worked wonders to get us to 8th in PL could have got us top 6 even maybe top 4 if Jeff and Fosun would have back his small squad in last summer and January transfer window especially!
Can't blame Lage? My ****! Yesterday was the culmination of three utterly woeful games when our "tactical genius" made the same mistakes over and over again. Totally on him.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lowest paid manager in the league

Dread to think what the next appointment will be . I quite liked Lage but surely he has to go immediately if we are to have any hope of keeping our better players

Back
Top Bottom