Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t realise we haven’t a made a signing in 4 years to be honest.
We haven't to improve the defence or midfield, hence the frustration. Since the first window from promotion, is that four years?

You all make out like people are demanding ridiculous things. A quality central defender and a quality central midfielder would please most.

As we said in January. As we said last summer. As we said the January before that. As we said the summer before that and so on...

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We haven't to improve the defence or midfield, hence the frustration. Since the first window from promotion, is that four years?

You all make out like people are demanding ridiculous things. A quality central defender and a quality central midfielder would please most.

As we said in January. As we said last summer. As we said the January before that. As we said the summer before that and so on...
No I said people are demanding signings. In the last 4 seasons we’ve made signings have we not? So your point is errr…. Pointless

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is important to touch on.

Newcastle recruited Bruno Guimaraes, a player who is above their current level. From everything he said when he joined and since, he's firmly invested in their project:

"Next season I believe it will strengthen very well to seek, who knows, a spot in the Champions League, in the Europa League. From now on, it's a team to compete for to be champions of the Premier League. I believe a lot in the project and I hope that everything works out as it was passed on to me.".

When Fosun first took over, the players (and manager!) we brought in were hit and miss in the first season.

When Nuno joined us in The Championship, it was clear Fosun meant business and the likes of Neves, Jota and Boly bought into the project and soon followed.

When we were promoted, Jeff Shi spoke about challenging the elite of English football and Moutinho and Patricio joined in what were jaw-dropping transfers for a newly-promoted club.

7th in our first season back! An FA Cup semi final for the first time in nearly 20 years. A European trip. Another 'best of the rest' 7th place finish.

Dreaming was for free. But those dreams were coming true in front of our eyes!

The momentum we had from two successive 7th place finishes was then derailed by Covid. Summer 2020 could have been a lot more successful from a recruitment perspective if their was less uncertainty and the market hadn't been suppressed.

We ended up selling a big asset and then spending over the odds on Semedo and Silva that summer, none of which made us any better the following season (Silva was still too young and Semedo took time to settle and didn't replicate the output of Doherty).

We then had some bad luck with Jimenez the following season, taking all 3 of our biggest contributors from the previous season out of the team. Our progress stalled again.

Over the same period, Fosun's approach changed. Their stated goals changed as the realism of how competitive the Premier League was took hold.

A controlled spending plan was adopted. Sell to buy, a strict wage structure and organic growth, no longer underwritten by Fosun. A new manager was brought in with the remit of bringing with him attacking, entertaining football. We saw glimpses, but quickly moved back to a dull, pragmatic approach.

Unlike Nuno's early days, where everyone appeared to be on board and the link between every aspect of the football club was clear, the club's board, the manager, the team and the fans don't appear to be pulling in the same direction any more. The team no longer have the same identity we had under Nuno's management.

This has meant doubts have crept in about the ownership, the manager and the players. The overall feelings of togetherness and that we were doing something different have started to dissipate.

Whether you agree with the current approach or not, the one concern I have now is this.....

If we can't sell our approach or 'project' to all of our own fans anymore, how can we possibly sell it to new players?

Good post.

I’m split between “the project” is over, something changed after the Silva / Semedo window, and it’s the world outside.

In a sense, the project may already be complete, or at least it’s goals achieved. Jeff talked about making us one of the biggest clubs in Europe, and by some definitions, we already are. We’re up there in the brand value table, and we’re up there in the Deloitte money league. But we’re far from a big European club as we football fans would define it, but that’s just a different perspective.

I commented the other week about the Silva / Semedo window, and whether Jeff felt he was burnt by that window, and how the following season played out. Since other things like geopolitics and the pandemic also happened between then and now, it’s hard to determine whether that window was key to what followed or not, but it’s a reasonable hypothesis that it caused the club to be more cautious in the windows which followed.

It’s hard to deny the pandemic and geopolitics have played a significant part. Certainly in 2020/21, transfer business and club finances were affected well beyond Wolves, and so these factors must have had a direct and indirect impact on our transfer business, even if Fosun and Jeff remain as committed and ambitious as they were when “the project” was in full swing. I don’t think they can take full responsibility however, as we clearly had gaps/thinness in our squad, and others in need, were able to get deals done.

I’m non the wiser!

Last edited:

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No I said people are demanding signings. In the last 4 seasons we’ve made signings have we not? So your point is errr…. Pointless
Yeah but that's wrong. People aren't demanding signings, they're demanding signings in certain positions. Nobody wants us to sign a keeper for £40m because we have Sa.

People are 'demanding', if that's the right word, we strengthen the areas we are weak - predominantly CB & CM. Four years.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the amount of followers - yes.
I know a lot of you want to believe based on tweets from a single "Argentinian journo" source that Matt Hobbs flew to Buenos Aires for a meeting with River Plate only to be told, nah mate, he's not interested, and was sent on his way. Are you really buying that?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah but that's wrong. People aren't demanding signings, they're demanding signings in certain positions. Nobody wants us to sign a keeper for £40m because we have Sa.

People are 'demanding', if that's the right word, we strengthen the areas we are weak - predominantly CB & CM. Four years.
I must have missed you being the appointed spokesman for what people wanted to sign.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stevebullknee- any update on the player we were meant to be signing on sunday? Thanks
Last I was told that fee had been agreed and personal terms also but the player in question has other offers. Only other bit that was narrowed down was the player played in Portugal, not that narrows things down much.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haha too right. How good is the pork scratchings material going around! Really witty stuff... :rolleyes:
Yeah, it's particularly ironic that involves some non-entities on the web taking the pee out of a multi-billion conglomerate. I'm pretty sure that Guo has a (much) better lifestyle....

Last edited:

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You were the one bleating about what people wanted. Just trying to find out when you spoke for the masses
All the Wolves fans I know would want CB & CM as priorities, so I can speak for them.

I also said 'people', that could be two people, nothing about the 'masses'.

Run a poll if you're that bothered on where we should strengthen and then you'll get your answer (which will be CB & CM :D)

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don't disagree but its really all relative isn't it. What you, I or anyone else thinks regarding where we are weak is pretty inconsequential as we all have different opinions, some will say we don't have a decent striker since Rauls injury and that should be a priority. For the first two thirds of the season we had one of the best defences in the league until Kilman's injury so some people may not have seen this as such a priority.

I think (apologies if I am wrong) you want a switch to a back four and believe Coady cant play there and this drives your push for a new, quicker centre half. I understand your point entirely but, ultimately, the only person that really matters when it comes to signing's is Bruno Lage as he is the only person who knows how he would wish to play and the type of player he wants. If we don't sign a player in the position you or I advocate it doesn't mean that Wolves have failed other than with regard to our expectations.

As my old man used to say; "You can please some of the people, some of the time but not all of the people all of the time!

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any forward will struggle in the system we play. We don't create enough centrally to generate high quality chances.
That’s not my point. My point was at the nonsense of “we haven’t made a signing for 4 years” which was obviously debunked so moved to “everyone knows we need CB and CM”. Well if social media is correct we’re looking at centre forwards as well so it’s not just CB and CM we’re looking at.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So when you said “We should just go and buy absolutely anyone from the championship to keep the miserable ****ers on here happy as they’re so desperate for any signing” we’re you not speaking on behalf of all those miserable ****ers?
Are you high?

D

Deleted member sbk12944

Remember with Stevebullsknee to always make sure what you type is literal. If you say signings make sure you are specific and to the position they play plus 1st team etc otherwise any signing will be used to disprove a point even someone like Kawabe.

Not wrong though am I Stevebullsknee ;)

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember with Stevebullsknee to always make sure what you type is literal. If you say signings make sure you are specific and to the position they play plus 1st team etc otherwise any signing will be used to disprove a point even someone like Kawabe.

Not wrong though am I Stevebullsknee ;)
You say literal, I say factual.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't disagree but its really all relative isn't it. What you, I or anyone else thinks regarding where we are weak is pretty inconsequential as we all have different opinions, some will say we don't have a decent striker since Rauls injury and that should be a priority. For the first two thirds of the season we had one of the best defences in the league until Kilman's injury so some people may not have seen this as such a priority.

I think (apologies if I am wrong) you want a switch to a back four and believe Coady cant play there and this drives your push for a new, quicker centre half. I understand your point entirely but, ultimately, the only person that really matters when it comes to signing's is Bruno Lage as he is the only person who knows how he would wish to play and the type of player he wants. If we don't sign a player in the position you or I advocate it doesn't mean that Wolves have failed other than with regard to our expectations.

As my old man used to say; "You can please some of the people, some of the time but not all of the people all of the time!

According to recorded interviews, Sellars would egotistically disagree.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s not my point. My point was at the nonsense of “we haven’t made a signing for 4 years” which was obviously debunked so moved to “everyone knows we need CB and CM”. Well if social media is correct we’re looking at centre forwards as well so it’s not just CB and CM we’re looking at.
My sympathies are normally more on the happy clapper side of the divide which you have to sign up to in order to post. However let's be fair, nobody actually said that we haven't made a signing for 4 years. It was pretty clear that he meant that we have consistently not strengthened the two areas that are crying out for it. You can pick apart posts all you like to get it to mean something different, but that was obviously the argument.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah - that's from the journo who seeded the story then broke our hearts!

Tbh, I don't know why anyone would ever choose Wolves over Milan. Champions of Italy, beautiful city, champions league... Long shot
My ex was of Italian origin. Italians regard Milan as a dump with awful climate.

Edited to add: There's a good reason why just about the whole population leaves in mid-summer and most footballers live around the lakes. I made the mistake of spending time there in summer. Vilely humid, stupidly hot and swarms of mosquitoes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom