Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The last 14 games or so of last season was a clear demonstration of this. We collapsed spectacularly after those Arsenal set backs when we were on the verge of a 4th place, albeit temporarily. The thought of European football just didn’t seem to energise the team or coach after that. Maybe tired minds and legs from playing the same negative style for pretty much two full seasons.
I agree to an extent but Neves missed five weeks of that which had an impact as well as injuries to Podence, Kilman, Semedo and the faltering fitness of Neto. Like others I’m desperate for some good news but injuries had quite an impact on what would have been most people’s first team choice..UTW

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So because of Roger Johnson you wouldn't have signed Andy Robertson? By all accounts Joachim Andersen had a really good season at Palace as well.

Surely you judge on a player by player basis?
To be honest, I had never heard of Andy Robertson before he signed for Liverpool. I'm not as obsessed with football as I used to be so didn't know who he was.

But yes, like you say, judge individually but the whole 'let's see who we can get from relegated teams' is an approach I have never understood.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forest about to sign two very useful players from the Bundesliga. Not saying it will definitely work out for them but both players they are signing would probably do a good job for us from what I have read about them.

Yes, haven't read who the other one is, but Awoniyi was really good for Union.
20 million Euros are a bit of money, and 6 more than we pay for Hwang. But Hwang couldn't get in the Leipzig team and didnt score there, while Awoniyi scored 15 goals for a struggling team.

So I guess while not exactly bargain price, I'd say Awoniyi would be worth that extra outlay compared to Hwang.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Question to all those more switched on about Portuguese football than me...

Why does every portuguese club always need to sell? Are they all perennially cash strapped and, if so, is that due to the lack of tv deals?

It just feels odd that the likes of Wolves, Fulham, Everton etc are regularly raiding the top Portuguese clubs for their better players.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cant understand why we dont target the Bundesliga and the French leagues more often. Some bargains to be had.

The hard part isn't finding good players but getting them to join. Easiest way is to give them silly money but if you're trying to do it financially smart it's difficult

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I like the effort in the analogies but they really don't work in our situation. They aren't really relevant to football.

If the opportunity to sign somebody of Nunes' calibre becomes unexpectedly realistic then you have to go for it. We can be creative and sell to buy the others - however there is nothing to say that we are spending ALL of our money on one player.

I would rather have a Rolls Royce to join our other Rolls Royce in midfield and figure the rest out later on. Sometimes in football you have to change your stance and react to unexpected developments.
You have clearly been taken in by the Ed Woodward approach to the market- buy the best players available, whilst ignoring other glaring deficiencies in the team.

The problem with this is we don't have the money Man Utd do.

Plus clearly you are an exponent of the Sellars DoF approach, which appears to be "don't plan, just react." IMO that is probably not the best things for us to do either.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Adama going to Leeds would be the ultimate reality check for him. If I’m him and I’m reading that link I am going back to Compton ready so sign anything offered.
I don't get it either. Does he really not want to be here that much. Divides opinion on here clearly, but he'd thrive in a more attacking system as he showed in the first 3 games of last season.

Reactions: Ned

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have clearly been taken in by the Ed Woodward approach to the market- buy the best players available, whilst ignoring other glaring deficiencies in the team.

The problem with this is we don't have the money Man Utd do.

Plus clearly you are an exponent of the Sellars DoF approach, which appears to be "don't plan, just react." IMO that is probably not the best things for us to do either.
I’m not really either of those things.

It’s not like Nunes would be a square peg and just a name. He’s a genuinely top class player who would fit perfectly into our side and is a player we would have no right to even be linked with, let alone possibly sign.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Why does every portuguese club always need to sell? Are they all perennially cash strapped and, if so, is that due to the lack of tv deals?

It just feels odd that the likes of Wolves, Fulham, Everton etc are regularly raiding the top Portuguese clubs for their better players.
I'm surprised about how many good players these clubs seem to have. I remember when we signed Costa, I couldn't believe how good he was and he hadn't played any games for his parent club. The amount of talent they have is astounding.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not really either of those things.

It’s not like Nunes would be a square peg and just a name. He’s a genuinely top class player who would fit perfectly into our side and is a player we would have no right to even be linked with, let alone possibly sign.
I've been watching some videos of Nunes play, and he seems way too good to be coming to us!

Reactions: Ned

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You never know with football and agents. It could be Neves signs a new deal with a decent buy out clause, he’s given the nod to leave in the next window or next season with Wolves almost guaranteed to get at least £40m, in the meantime they use him as a draw to bring in better talent splashing the cash they know they can recoup when he goes.
This is why I think Neves could sign a new deal. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense for him to do so, he would just run down his contract. But a new deal will most certainly have some type of release clause.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

By no means an expert on Portuguese football, but I do know that.....

Portuguese champions Porto have annual revenues that would put them bottom of the Premier League in terms of income.
and
Portugal have no clubs in the top 20 of the latest Deloitte Money League. England has 10, including us (17th).

I suppose for the top Portuguese clubs to compete in Europe, they have to offset breaking even (UEFA FFP), with paying wages and transfer fees to attract a quality of player good enough to be as competitive as possible.

So selling to balance the books every year maybe?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They are not poor.
We are grotesquely, obscenely massively rich. 1 billion people watch Premier league football. 5 men and his dog watch watch the Portuguese league. Most of the wealth coming into our club these days comes from the overseas TV viewer.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t blame him to be honest,

If I only got about a 3 week window every year to have a holiday and then when I was on it all people wanted to do was talk to me about my job, the future direction of my career etc I’d probably say “**** off and leave me alone, it can wait a week” too.

Wolves had more holidays than I had not dinners last year.

I love a good salad. :D

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
American Football is probably the closest to the system that will get the best out of Traore.
I dunno. I thought the 3-4-3 we deployed with Adama having the natural width and Doc underlapping worked.
We've since put in a more theoretically accurate style of play(I.e wider wing back, trendy narrow inside forwards) yet have become infinitely more slow paced and predictable.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From everything that l've seen Burnley were bought by the current owners by loading the club with debt and there are still payments due to the previous owners. They are likely in a bad place financially.
Exactly. 46 million quid in debt apparently. Given that the whole world and his wife know they are desperate for cash they are going to have to sell players relatively cheaply. 40 million for Collins can only ever be a negotiating opening stance.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think it's a valid question to ask. If a late offer comes in matching our asking price, do we then reject it, knowing we can't replace him in due time?

Seeing how we loaned out Adama late in the window, hoping it would lead to a sale, but knowing well it would weaken our squad, I think we have our answer...

Yes I know Neves is more important than Adama, but the footballing perspective doesn't seem to be the most deciding factor. Otherwise Adama would've stayed.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If a late offer comes in matching our asking price, do we then reject it, knowing we can't replace him in due time?

Seeing how we loaned out Adama late in the window, hoping it would lead to a sale, but knowing well it would weaken our squad, I think we have our answer...

Yes I know Neves is more important than Adama, but the footballing perspective doesn't seem to be the most deciding factor. Otherwise Adama would've stayed.
I don't think footballing success is the deciding factor, but I suspect Fosun know that without Neves or new players funded by Neves money, we 1) risk being relegated; 2) have a fanbase ready to turn on them; 3) weaken our reputation and brand. Those things will all affect our financial success, so I don't think they'd risk it. The risk, however, is that Neves tries to force it, though he doesn't strike me as the type.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get it either. Does he really not want to be here that much. Divides opinion on here clearly, but he'd thrive in a more attacking system as he showed in the first 3 games of last season.
I don’t think it is that Traore does not want to be at Wolves, and I think that Lage said he was a good guy and always trained well etc, but simply that he wanted more money than we were prepared to offer. He thought he was going to get that at Barcelona but now won’t, so where else does he go? He could sign an extension with us, IF it is still on the table or he has to go somewhere else. Maybe there are no other offers, maybe Leeds have offered more money than we did?

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Adama going to Leeds would be the ultimate reality check for him. If I’m him and I’m reading that link I am going back to Compton ready so sign anything offered.
Given 'sell-to-buy' at some stage of the summer we are going to start off loading players. If, for example, Coady & Raul & Adama move on....some are going to be gutted. But something has to give.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could sign Collins for 40 million or Ben Mee for nothing. I know one is a lot younger, but in terms of current effectiveness Ben Mee is the better player IMO. Plus you have Collins, Toti, Sanderson Kilman all in a similar age group, plus ait-nouri at wingback too.
Tarkowski is available for nothing too but he's probably going to Everton on Moutinho style wages; I'm not sure he's really worth that.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He would fight it out with cancelo i would have thought, and i think its more of a case of zinchenko wanting to play MF.

RAN higher ceiling with his age etc, i mean he is a right talent, before he joined the games against psg for angers he looked raw but class.
I'm not sure, what is he actually good at. Not particularly athletic, anything special at passing, shooting or crossing. For me he's just a steady player that's intelligent enough to understand what Pep wants. Let's not forget Pep must think RAN is a sizeable upgrade on him.
He’s not exceptional at anything, but is an intelligent, hardworking midfielder.
I’d see him as Moutinho successor. Not quite in the same class in terms of ring smarts, but significantly younger and more mobile.
Always looks quality playing CM for Ukraine, runs the show.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree to an extent but Neves missed five weeks of that which had an impact as well as injuries to Podence, Kilman, Semedo and the faltering fitness of Neto. Like others I’m desperate for some good news but injuries had quite an impact on what would have been most people’s first team choice..UTW

Undoubtedly injuries contributed to the collapse but we really hadn't played that well in many games when all were fit (bar Neto who wasn't available). I would argue that the biggest loss came with the Kilman injury rather than Neves. Kilman worked well with Coady and Saiss and gave us a very tight defence in the first two thirds of the season - once he had gone Boly was off the pace and it affected Coady and our defence as a whole - I wish we had persevered with Toti. Man United is the only game that stuck out to me where we played very well

Fundamentally though you can use the injury issues as mitigation but surely Wolves can only do this once without at least taking some sort of preventative action. It highlighted that we simply don't have squad depth of the required quality. Unless we address the first team via additional recruitment and some of the current squad become backup players (if they don't leave) I fear we will be in the same predicament next season as injuries can, do and will happen.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Yes, haven't read who the other one is, but Awoniyi was really good for Union.
20 million Euros are a bit of money, and 6 more than we pay for Hwang. But Hwang couldn't get in the Leipzig team and didnt score there, while Awoniyi scored 15 goals for a struggling team.

So I guess while not exactly bargain price, I'd say Awoniyi would be worth that extra outlay compared to Hwang.
Think you might have your Berlin clubs confused. Union in 5th had their highest ever finish. Quite the opposite of a struggling team.

However, Hertha... Now coached by Felix Magath, managed to stave off relegation by the skin of their sack. Winning the return leg of the relegation playoff after falling to Hamburg in the first match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom