Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£40M for Collins! Wow. World's gone mad.... I'd have him down as less than half that

Burnley probably don't need to sell after so many years in the Prem so could ask silly money or no thanks for anyone still in contract

But crazy money. No way we're anywhere near at that price
From everything that l've seen Burnley were bought by the current owners by loading the club with debt and there are still payments due to the previous owners. They are likely in a bad place financially.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've never understand why anyone looks at defenders from a team just relegated.
Burnley had the tenth best defensive record last season. It was going forward they had the problems.

However, no idea how many games Collins played in the PL last season.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is this window considered more of a success if:

A) we sign Palinha, but sell Neves, and also get Seferovic - leaving us a net profit of circa +£15m
B) we keep Neves, but sign nobody of note

?

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the stumbling block is he is on his hols and can't be ***** to pick up his phone till he's back..
Don’t blame him to be honest,

If I only got about a 3 week window every year to have a holiday and then when I was on it all people wanted to do was talk to me about my job, the future direction of my career etc I’d probably say “**** off and leave me alone, it can wait a week” too.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite often clubs need to have a player lined up to replace the outgoing one.

If Nunes isn't lined up, we're not going to sell Neves (think Buienda going to Villa / Grealish to Man City)

D

Deleted member sbk12944

Is this window considered more of a success if:

A) we sign Palinha, but sell Neves, and also get Seferovic - leaving us a net profit of circa +£15m
B) we keep Neves, but sign nobody of note

?
If the above happened i think overall its a failure, but just considering the above situation/options I'd go with (B)

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this thread is great. Summarising -Zinchenko isn't good enough but Nunes is too good. However we're only chasing him for appearance sake and aren't interested really.
Traore is ace, underappreciated but not worth £18 million.
Palhina prefers Fulham, its a disaster but he also may not be good enough.
Think we all like Collins at Burnley but we won't sign him cos of Mendes and Portugal and something.
Seferovic definitely not good enough but all quiet there anyway.
No centre half in site but we may have an offer for Coady so definitely sell, he's holding us back.
Think that is it.

You got it! This is the problem with the glass ceiliing. You reach a level where the only players who will genuinely improve the team, are good enough that the Big 6 will be after them. And we don't have any money, so we have to gamble on young players before the big boys get them. Sometimes even spending our record fee on them. If they turn out flops, we get to keep them. If not, then Liverpool, City, Porto etc get them after we tested them out.

It's a miracle we finished 7th once, let alone twice.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just can't see Nunes wanting to come here. He was being linked with Man City not long ago, why would he want to come here to replace Ruben Neves, who wants to leave to fulfill his career goals of winning trophies? Nunes' stock is already high, why would he wanna come here to battle it out for 10th?
As advised by his agent maybe? Why sign for a club you'll not move from and miss out on signing fee's and bonuses?

Sign for Wolves for a couple of years and then get your big move, maximizing your earnings with some lump sums.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As advised by his agent maybe? Why sign for a club you'll not move from and miss out on signing fee's and bonuses?

Sign for Wolves for a couple of years and then get your big move, maximizing your earnings with some lump sums.

I think neves would be a swaying factor,

with moutinho and neves, i think they could get nunes to come.

If neves goes i dont see it.

Got to buy into the ambition and lage, and we need to get europe next year with nunes in for it to work out for him long term.

Hes 23 hes got time

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
You never know with football and agents. It could be Neves signs a new deal with a decent buy out clause, he’s given the nod to leave in the next window or next season with Wolves almost guaranteed to get at least £40m, in the meantime they use him as a draw to bring in better talent splashing the cash they know they can recoup when he goes.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You never know with football and agents. It could be Neves signs a new deal with a decent buy out clause, he’s given the nod to leave in the next window or next season with Wolves almost guaranteed to get at least £40m, in the meantime they use him as a draw to bring in better talent splashing the cash they know they can recoup when he goes.

Yes, I think getting other quality players in has to be part of the Neves equation. We know he's been interested in moving on. I'm not convinced that another season like the 2 we just had is going to bring out the best in him. Not very motivating to be in a team that is just aiming to keep their heads above water and he's essentially stuck here because we want more money than "trophy winning" clubs are prepared to pay and his family are settled here (allegedly). Doesn't sound like an environment to encourage the most inspired performances, more "just turning up for work". Which IMHO is what we've seen a fair amount from him and the rest, this past couple of years

Needs a shake up. If we persuade him to stay because we are investing in quality players to play alongside, then all good.

Reactions: Ian

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t blame him to be honest,

If I only got about a 3 week window every year to have a holiday and then when I was on it all people wanted to do was talk to me about my job, the future direction of my career etc I’d probably say “**** off and leave me alone, it can wait a week” too.
If I had the opportunity to move to a much higher profile role in a new country, triple my wages and play in the best league in the world; I'd be tempted to take a phone call, holiday or no holiday.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, I think getting other quality players in has to be part of the Neves equation. We know he's been interested in moving on. I'm not convinced that another season like the 2 we just had is going to bring out the best in him. Not very motivating to be in a team that is just aiming to keep their heads above water and he's essentially stuck here because we want more money than "trophy winning" clubs are prepared to pay and his family are settled here (allegedly). Doesn't sound like an environment to encourage the most inspired performances, more "just turning up for work". Which IMHO is what we've seen a fair amount from him and the rest, this past couple of years

Needs a shake up. If we persuade him to stay because we are investing in quality players to play alongside, then all good.
The last 14 games or so of last season was a clear demonstration of this. We collapsed spectacularly after those Arsenal set backs when we were on the verge of a 4th place, albeit temporarily. The thought of European football just didn’t seem to energise the team or coach after that. Maybe tired minds and legs from playing the same negative style for pretty much two full seasons.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I had the opportunity to move to a much higher profile role in a new country, triple my wages and play in the best league in the world; I'd be tempted to take a phone call, holiday or no holiday.
Perhaps.

But if the club wanted me, were offering me a 5 year contract and looking as long term as that I’d expect they could probably wait 7 days for me to get home before I commit either way.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last 14 games or so of last season was a clear demonstration of this. We collapsed spectacularly after those Arsenal set backs when we were on the verge of a 4th place, albeit temporarily. The thought of European football just didn’t seem to energise the team or coach after that.

It was a huge wake up call and you would hope our powers that be realise this but all too quiet for my liking. Hopefully we get some good news soon but time is ticking and pre season training begins next week.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cant understand why we dont target the Bundesliga and the French leagues more often. Some bargains to be had.

Indeed and with Palhinha joining Fulham and Nunes being reluctant it's worth remembering we already were a midfielder short. And as far as I know Moutinho haven't renewed.
In other words I hope we haven't put all our eggs in one basket but are currently pursuing other midfielders. There are as you say lots of bargains out there.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Very true. If I was the potential buying club I would also have representatives fly out to meet him and try and sell him the idea of a move.
For as big a deal as this would potentially be that would be something the club could do and other clubs have done.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indeed and with Palhinha joining Fulham and Nunes being reluctant it's worth remembering we already were a midfielder short. And as far as I know Moutinho haven't renewed.
In other words I hope we haven't put all our eggs in one basket but are currently pursuing other midfielders. There are as you say lots of bargains out there.

Forest about to sign two very useful players from the Bundesliga. Not saying it will definitely work out for them but both players they are signing would probably do a good job for us from what I have read about them.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would get this if we only needed one player to make a massive difference. We need at least four. And we aren't going to buy 4 players at Matheus Nunes' price tag to do it as we have to live within our means.

To use another analogy, if you are sitting in your house and the roof is leaking whilst the garden is overgrown due to 3 years of inactivity, it may look good to your neighbours to paint the front of the house and buy a new front door, which may also need doing, but spending all of your money on that isn't going to deal with the problems that are affecting you day to day.

We do need a ball carrying midfielder (which both Nunes and Almeida would provide) but using all of our money on that, whilst not buying a fast centre back, a touch tackling midfielder and a forward who can finish, means we would only deal with 1 of our 4 problems and still have 3 problems to solve.

So, why buy one Rolls-Royce if you have 4 people in your family that need to get to work at the same time every day? Two cars, an Uber and a bus pass would be a better use of resources.
I like the effort in the analogies but they really don't work in our situation. They aren't really relevant to football.

If the opportunity to sign somebody of Nunes' calibre becomes unexpectedly realistic then you have to go for it. We can be creative and sell to buy the others - however there is nothing to say that we are spending ALL of our money on one player.

I would rather have a Rolls Royce to join our other Rolls Royce in midfield and figure the rest out later on. Sometimes in football you have to change your stance and react to unexpected developments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom