Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always thought this might be the case when his wife took that job in that primary school.
I'm not sure how true that actually is, it's just he seemed to me to be put on the spot in interviews regarding his departure, and appeared to be saying what was expected of him, without confirming he wanted to move on.

He's always seemed mature and level headed, and his family being happy here means loads to him, I can understand the club wanting to realise as much as possible for him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him here for another season.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
LA is a ****hole. People who equate California with LA don't know what they're talking about. The state has everything: beautiful beaches, redwood forests, mountains with some of the best skiing, deserts...you name, the state has it.

I grew up and still live in the suburbs of San Diego one mile from the beach. Other than the cost of living for housing, it's fantastic. Funny, after returning from the UK a couple of weeks ago, I commented when we flew over LA how people must think it's so brown and ugly. So, my advice, fly in and get out. The Central Coast between Santa Barbara and San Francisco (San Luis Obispo, wineries in Paso Robles, Big Sur, Carmel) is rugged, uncrowded, and beautiful. San Francisco is the most "European" city, with a good transit system - the food there is fantastic. Yosemite National Park is truly one of the seven wonders of the world - it will take your breath away.

Enough travel guide commentary.

(P.S. loved London, but liked Edinburgh more. Isle of Skye was spectacular as was driving through the highlands--your roundabouts were a pain in the ass though. Had a great trip!)
Edinburgh is nice until you live in it!
Maybe when we're hovering around the drop zone at Christmas, people will finally get their heads out the sand and wake up.
I’m sure You’ve said the same for four years.
But we say this every single window, and the end result is the same, ie the squad not being strengthened properly. Surely people can see a pattern here? It's happening every season now.
And despite what some people think, we’ve done ok.
Thanks for that.

I'll take it on board and try to be more 'measured' like you, like calling people racist if they disagree with me ;)

I don't get the entitled thing, towards me anyway - and the majority to be fair. Seems a very lazy cop out.

In fact, I think I'm one of the most 'neutral' posters on here, I don't let supporting and wanting Wolves to do well to influence my opinion, as you can see haha.

Entitled is defined as 'deserving of privileges or special treatment', I have constantly said I'm happy with Fosun selling to buy - although I wish it wasn't as strict, so we could sign Palhinha now knowing Neves would go for example.

I certainly don't demand they put more money in and accept the situation we're in.

My main grip is actually that others don't see it. I hate the naivety that this is all a plan, that we're somehow doing something different/special. We have owners that have no interest in putting money in, no interest in improving the stadium and are no longer the excellent owners they once were.

That's a pretty bleak outlook but that's our reality. Yet I see a lot of other views that I feel are biased because it's Wolves and people understandably want to be positive.

My way of viewing Wolves is to imagine if it was another club. If any other club were in our position they would be viewed as unambitious, not serious threats to Europe, top ten etc.
Haha your emotional intelligence needs some work mate ;)

As for grand plan, who said that? I just think this is probably it now until we get more investment.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

I'll take it on board and try to be more 'measured' like you, like calling people racist if they disagree with me ;)

I don't get the entitled thing, towards me anyway - and the majority to be fair. Seems a very lazy cop out.

In fact, I think I'm one of the most 'neutral' posters on here, I don't let supporting and wanting Wolves to do well to influence my opinion, as you can see haha.

Entitled is defined as 'deserving of privileges or special treatment', I have constantly said I'm happy with Fosun selling to buy - although I wish it wasn't as strict, so we could sign Palhinha now knowing Neves would go for example.

I certainly don't demand they put more money in and accept the situation we're in.

My main grip is actually that others don't see it. I hate the naivety that this is all a plan, that we're somehow doing something different/special. We have owners that have no interest in putting money in, no interest in improving the stadium and are no longer the excellent owners they once were.

That's a pretty bleak outlook but that's our reality. Yet I see a lot of other views that I feel are biased because it's Wolves and people understandably want to be positive.

My way of viewing Wolves is to imagine if it was another club. If any other club were in our position they would be viewed as unambitious, not serious threats to Europe, top ten etc.
Racist FFS. I listed racism as A reason for the anti MGW crew, not THE reason.

It baffles me that you don't see your posting style as negative though lol.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Your post makes sense of where you are coming from.

I don't think it's naïve to think that a World renowned investment company, with billions of pounds at stake in multiple businesses, across a variety of sectors tend to be people that make plans or do things deliberately.

The business model we are running isn't different or special. It's been done before and it will be replicated more and more in the coming years for a variety of reasons.

What does make us slightly different (and always has) is our unique relationship with Jorge Mendes. It's unique because it can't be replicated. He has links with many clubs, but only our club has a direct link to his agency, meaning it is highly likely he will always treat our club favourably.

I think it is this link that makes any fan of any other club take notice that we will always be a relative 'threat'.

But overall, the outlook is pretty bleak for most mid-sized Premier League clubs.

I know City fans and Liverpool fans who have both been disappointed by the seasons they have just had. Imagine getting to that level, where just the league title in isolation, or both domestic cups was seen as a disappointment! Now that's entitlement.

I think being at a level where 'best of the rest' and a domestic cup being the pinnacle of where you could end up isn't such a bad thing. If anything, it might be close to peak level of football supporting enjoyment.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
'Lack of liquidity' seems to be a roundabout way of saying the ownership aren't willing to spend out of their own pockets anymore. We're basically just a marketing tool for Fosun now, nothing will happen until the money has come in from player sales. It's going to be a long summer, our business rests entirely on a protracted transfer tug-of-war for Neves. By the time that's over, I'd wager most of our primary targets clubs grow impatient and negotiate elsewhere (see Palhinha to Fulham).

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Racist FFS. I listed racism as A reason for the anti MGW crew, not THE reason.

It baffles me that you don't see your posting style as negative though lol.
It was said half jokingly, hence the wink face.

No, I do see it as negative now, because the overall picture at Wolves is negative in my opinion.

Fans have been ripped off, no willingness to spend, improve the stadium, reducing the wage bill etc.

I see us now as exactly like Mike Ashley's Newcastle of recent years & they were pretty negative about him! If things change, my opinion will change.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see us now as exactly like Mike Ashley's Newcastle of recent years & they were pretty negative about him! If things change, my opinion will change.

What if those changes don't involve us spending like we first did under Fosun, but involved most other clubs adopting the same sort of sell to buy approach?

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If, and I stress the if, Palhinia is one of our key targets, the optics will not be very good at all if we miss out to a newly promoted side. I can already see supporters getting pretty agitated and in some cases irate on twitter at the mere suggestion of this, let alone if it becomes a reality. That said you just don't know with Wolves, any hesitancy could be that we think a better option has become available to us or that Fulham are offering him silly money on a 5 year deal we don't think is worth matching? It could be that the chances of Neves not moving on have increased? Equally it could be as speculated, we actually do need to sell first and that isn't happening as speedily as we'd like? I have absolutely no idea tbh

Like everyone, I'm feeling anxious about our incomings and outgoings as things stand, but I'm also reminding myself that we are owned by a major global investment fund who would surely not want to put a multi million £ asset in some jeopardy for the sake of saving a few quid on transfers? It's tough, but I think we've really gotta hang on in there for a few weeks and see how we are looking heading into pre season. It could get bumpy in the meantime.

We do really need to lift our self imposed embargo on buying a decent CM and CB this summer though at the very least.

No we don't. Fosun are choosing to operate in this way. We have the money available.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your post makes sense of where you are coming from.

I don't think it's naïve to think that a World renowned investment company, with billions of pounds at stake in multiple businesses, across a variety of sectors tend to be people that make plans or do things deliberately.

The business model we are running isn't different or special. It's been done before and it will be replicated more and more in the coming years for a variety of reasons.

What does make us slightly different (and always has) is our unique relationship with Jorge Mendes. It's unique because it can't be replicated. He has links with many clubs, but only our club has a direct link to his agency, meaning it is highly likely he will always treat our club favourably.

I think it is this link that makes any fan of any other club take notice that we will always be a relative 'threat'.

But overall, the outlook is pretty bleak for most mid-sized Premier League clubs.

I know City fans and Liverpool fans who have both been disappointed by the seasons they have just had. Imagine getting to that level, where just the league title in isolation, or both domestic cups was seen as a disappointment! Now that's entitlement.

I think being at a level where 'best of the rest' and a domestic cup being the pinnacle of where you could end up isn't such a bad thing. If anything, it might be close to peak level of football supporting enjoyment.
Yeah fair point but even with the Mendes link it's always about money.

If, and it's still an if at this stage, but if we lose out on Palhinha to Fulham that will be the biggest sign yet that we aren't even benefiting from Mendes.

Yes, he might help us uncover some gems, maybe a Chiquinho for example, but a Premier League club should always be able to sign a player from Estoril lol! It's just good scouting that would be needed.

So, we'll have to see how good our relationship with Mendes is because IMO it's always about money and if we've got none then we're no use to Mendes.

Our business model appears to me to be cut costs, reduce spending significantly and target cheaper players.

However, and I mentioned this before, you can always spin things the way you want with the language. I used 'self-sustainable' as an example because it's a nice way of saying we aren't spending any more.

With Wolves now it seems a lot are happy to buy the fluff about being self-sustainable, looking at younger players (just a way of saying cheaper), 'refreshing' the squad (selling key players) and so on.

I said above, I think we're now Newcastle under Ashley. Going nowhere, owners who don't care and it's going to be a long, boring road to relegation whether that's next year or in 5 years, in my opinion.

Won't stop me going every week and enjoying the days out with mates, just my prediction and I obviously hope I'm totally wrong but that's how I see it.

And, as you rightly point out, it's the same for most clubs in the league. The league table nearly always reflects the money you have and we're dropping down the table on that front quickly. It's sad but we've benefited from having owners who were willing to put loads in initially, so we can't really complain about that aspect!

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Fulham offer a 5 year deal ! WOW!!

AND it's now upto Palhinha to choose between ourselves and The Cottagers.

BH, we REALLY should have had this deal sorted , instead of FAFFING about!!!

If he chooses Fulham then that's a statement, which indicates money, rather than the club is his priority.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm concerned on both the lack of goals is a huge issue and will only be resolved with new players I don't think we have them in the current squad.
I agree we need new players that can score goals but having Neto back after a full pre-season ought to see an improvement on last year.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Fulham offer a 5 year deal ! WOW!!

AND it's now upto Palhinha to choose between ourselves and The Cottagers.

BH, we REALLY should have had this deal sorted , instead of FAFFING about!!!

If he chooses Fulham then that's a statement, which indicates money, rather than the club is his priority.
He cant chose wolves we havent even tabled anything to him, deal or anything

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah fair point but even with the Mendes link it's always about money.

If, and it's still an if at this stage, but if we lose out on Palhinha to Fulham that will be the biggest sign yet that we aren't even benefiting from Mendes.

Yes, he might help us uncover some gems, maybe a Chiquinho for example, but a Premier League club should always be able to sign a player from Estoril lol! It's just good scouting that would be needed.

So, we'll have to see how good our relationship with Mendes is because IMO it's always about money and if we've got none then we're no use to Mendes.

Our business model appears to me to be cut costs, reduce spending significantly and target cheaper players.

However, and I mentioned this before, you can always spin things the way you want with the language. I used 'self-sustainable' as an example because it's a nice way of saying we aren't spending any more.

With Wolves now it seems a lot are happy to buy the fluff about being self-sustainable, looking at younger players (just a way of saying cheaper), 'refreshing' the squad (selling key players) and so on.

I said above, I think we're now Newcastle under Ashley. Going nowhere, owners who don't care and it's going to be a long, boring road to relegation whether that's next year or in 5 years, in my opinion.

Won't stop me going every week and enjoying the days out with mates, just my prediction and I obviously hope I'm totally wrong but that's how I see it.

And, as you rightly point out, it's the same for most clubs in the league. The league table nearly always reflects the money you have and we're dropping down the table on that front quickly. It's sad but we've benefited from having owners who were willing to put loads in initially, so we can't really complain about that aspect!

I don't think Palhinha is a Mendes client, so Mendes doesn't really have much influence on his decisions or choices in the same way he does for his own. Perhaps the choice is to become a Mendes client and move to Wolves, or not?

I think the Chiquinho deal is a sign of things to come, as the club has spoken quite explicitly about breaking the existing model of Portuguese recruitment, that being that a player like Chiquinho does well for Estoril, is sold to Benfica, Porto or Sporting for £3m, then moves on to a bigger foreign club for £15m+. We are aiming now to get them before that move to one of Portugal's big 3.

I suppose that is about increasing value. The pinnacle for our model is getting a player like Jota in his Paços de Ferreira days and eventually selling him on to a Liverpool for £40m.

I don't think it's about deliberately being cheap, it's more about value. What do they bring to the team, what is their future value and is it worth the fee we are paying. There's a middle ground certainly.

The reason I asked above if those changes don't involve us spending like we first did under Fosun, but involved most other clubs adopting the same sort of sell to buy approach, is because I think that's where we are heading with the new UEFA FFP rules (I've just put a separate thread together about this if it's of interest to anyone - Selling to buy. The new normal?).

Last edited:

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
PS: If Ruben stays (whiich would be the preferred option) and is given an extended contract, with increased financial incentives, then the Palhinha saga will be confined to the Bin!
Come on Ruben, you know that it would make sense.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
PS: If Ruben stays (whiich would be the preferred option) and is given an extended contract, with increased financial incentives, then the Palhinha saga will be confined to the Bin!
It won’t . We are still a centre mid short !!!!

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
People on this messageboard have the brilliant ability to dig out every single rumor on the web, convince themselves of which ones are true based on their own biases and second-hand info, and then get ANGRY at the club when these rumors don't pan out. There's a Lou Reed line that "some people are happier when they're in pain," and this website increasingly shows that to be true.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Errr... I think it's a tad too early yet pant wetters. Most players in Europe are only just starting their holidays. So they will not be signing contracts and scheduled to arrive with shirts and scarves at prospective new clubs for at least a couple of weeks. Until then the press is having an absolute field day with absolute 'clickbait' rubbish that is 98% made up. What was it last year? - David Ornstein who people were swore blind was a completely reliable journalist telling us that Maitland Niles was coming to Wolves which turned out to be complete fictitious nonsense.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Not necessarily.

Without having ever actually watched him play but on the basis of his reputation on this thread, I would see him as a like-for -like replacement for Dendoncker if we can find a buyer. Neves signs a new contract. Moutinho extends. Add another CM on loan with an option to buy(who is actually here to be called upon during games) and the midfield is sorted.

Jordao as 5th option. Cundle out on loan

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mauro Icardi.

If Wolves think I'm going to tolerate saying goodbye to one of the most dedicated, humble, honest, family orientated footballers without a single blemish on his record to bring in a gold-plated nutcase with a charge sheet that runs in to the 100's of pages...

they're absolutely goddamn right.

Sa
Semedo Kilman Inacio Jonny
Adama Nunes Palinha Neto
Icardi Raul

Make it happen.
More chance of Lou Macari than Icardi

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mentioned him on the 'who do you want us to sign' thread.

Would love this to be true. He's class and going to the top IMO. Hard to see us getting it done though but hope we can.
Is he? I've seen him twice. Once against Everton where he scored and looked really solid. Once against Leeds where he basically cost them survival!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom