Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banks's Mild

Groupie
Reaction score
None of know what is going on in the background regarding transfers and hopefully all will look good at the start of the season but I understand why some are wound up about it already as lets be honest we appear to be very slow, very naive and mainly dependant on what Mendes decides will happen. I am not overly worrying but I would feel so much happier if I had confidence that people at the club that make the decisions on our transfer strategy appeared to be on top of their game. We have no doubt had some very good players come in since Fosun have been here but there have also been quite a few baffling things happen as well.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bordeaux due to financial issues have been relegated to the french 3rd division meaning a lot of their players will most likely be sold quickly and cheap. Sounds like the sort of situation we love to take advantage of so had a look at who they have.

The one that stood out was Ahmedhodzic, 23 year old 6'3 right footed Bosnia-Herzegovina International centre back who they have an obligation to buy from Malmo for €4mil who spent his youth years at Nottingham Forest making him a home grown player.

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
But his work in the final third is better than semedo's or Jonny's. His crossing is better than both.
I'm not saying he can't improve in that area, but it is something Semedo and Jonny both need to work on as well.
I think unfortunately crossing is the weakest aspect of all 3. I think with Jonny; he was more of a fb than wb, but has improved his atracking. Noticed when he was on the right he often drifted into the box like Doc used to, and the fact that he scored a couole of goals when he came back showed that. For me, currently, he is more of a threat. At RAN's age he has time to improve his final ball and decision making, but we definitely have 3 good players on our hands.

I think they all suffer (and other parts of the team) from the relationship with those aroubd them. Traore and Doc worked with Adama going wide and Doc drifting in. I think Jonny would work on the keft with say Neto, who msy naturally drift more wide as Jonny cuts inside..

All in all i think who plays is a good problem to have

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
United and Arsenal linked to Vitinha in Portuguese press. With United also being linked to De Jong, they're not going to take Neves as well.

Still think he'll end up at Barcelona.

I can't see De Jong and Vitinha going to Barca, both do the same role neither are sitters like Neves can be for a top team.

I think it'll be A case of Vitinha is the back up option

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like parts of LA Santa Monica especially, I thought Santa Barbara wasn't all that though! Carmel is lovely though, the drive round pebble beach is nice too
I agree Carmel is lovely and it is easy to see why Clint Eastwood has property there. The golf courses around Pebble aren't too bad either. I particularly liked Spyglass Hill.

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He starts over Jonny at left back, because he is currently our best wing back. Jonny and Semedo can fight it out for the place on the otherside. I know who wins hands down for me.
I disagree. I think that Jonny's all round game is far better at the moment. Semedo and Jonny as starters for me.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most of those clubs are not planning a mini rebuild though and a different style of play
I dont think we will change the way we play, or have that much of a rebuild.

I know we need one, but we don't have the players to play 4 at the back and we haven't got the money to buy 2 new quicker CBs.

It looks like we will swap Neves for Palhinha, add Seferovic, and maybe replace Gibbs-White if we can't give him assurances about playing time.

Would love to see more new faces, but I reckon Fosun will spend less than they get in player sales.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am I right in that if a club have a sell on clause for a percentage this would only apply to the figure above what the original fee was and not the total new transfer figure.

Depends on the clause. It could be the whole sale fee, could be the amount above the original fee, could be tiered, etc

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£13 million for Hoever? Bloody hell!!! I'd imagine the sell on must be on any profit above that? Imagine having to hand over 15% of £5 million or whatever reduced fee we accept whilst they've got Diogo Jota running around banging them in!

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Consistency of concentration maybe more accurate. It's like in the bigger games, he's more switched on and concentrates more because he knows he has to. Then he can switch off a bit and not be as 'on it' in the smaller games. We have a few like that to be honest.

Yes, in Semedo's first season he really wasn't at his best. But that's more about how long he took to settle than his overall ability.

Semedo's defending in duals in particular is way ahead of most in our squad, and even most in the Premier League. Ait Nouri isn't far off that. Contrast that to Jonny, who tends to be beaten quite a bit.

Yes, I get what you mean about seniority. It shouldn't make a difference.
Stats wise, last time I looked Ait-Nouri's was better. It might have changed since then.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think unfortunately crossing is the weakest aspect of all 3. I think with Jonny; he was more of a fb than wb, but has improved his atracking. Noticed when he was on the right he often drifted into the box like Doc used to, and the fact that he scored a couole of goals when he came back showed that. For me, currently, he is more of a threat. At RAN's age he has time to improve his final ball and decision making, but we definitely have 3 good players on our hands.

I think they all suffer (and other parts of the team) from the relationship with those aroubd them. Traore and Doc worked with Adama going wide and Doc drifting in. I think Jonny would work on the keft with say Neto, who msy naturally drift more wide as Jonny cuts inside..

All in all i think who plays is a good problem to have

I think this about the partnerships between the players is spot on. Looking back, Doc did a great job of working with Traore. Arguably the best any player has achieved at working with him. Think Doc is a smart footballer , used his understanding to compensate for not being the most gifted technically.

Also, Jonny and Jota had a great understanding that brought out the best in each. Add in the link between Jota and Raul at that time and you can see why what worked 3 years ago just doesn't work now.

Neto and RaN have good techique, however haven't yet got that understanding of working with the team. I think this may be a lot of the problem with Hwang, too. They too often look like they don't really know what they are supposed to be doing, so end up either wasting possession or stopping and playing the safe but pointless pass back. Not helped by lack of movement and support. Disappointing that after a whole season of apparently mostly practicing attacking, it still seems to depend on individual brilliance or defensive mistake to get our chances. Defensively, until the run in, you could see that team understanding was there. But not there anywhere else on the pitch.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£13 million for Hoever? Bloody hell!!! I'd imagine the sell on must be on any profit above that? Imagine having to hand over 15% of £5 million or whatever reduced fee we accept whilst they've got Diogo Jota running around banging them in!

And the punchline is that within months of selling him, after mostly looking very mediocre with us, Hoever will suddenly turn world class!

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I disagree. I think that Jonny's all round game is far better at the moment. Semedo and Jonny as starters for me.
Point to an aspect of it that you can demonstrate. Does he lose the ball more often? I don't think so. Is our defence any worse for him playing. Again no.
He was one of our best players last season. The stats back it up too.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stats wise, last time I looked Ait-Nouri's was better. It might have changed since then.

There's certainly not a lot between them (Wolves - 2021/22 Defensive Actions)

Semedo better at blocks/clearances, with Ait Nouri having better numbers for tackles/pressures. Semedo has less (no) errors leading to a shot. Jonny behind both in most defensive categories.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think you'll see Jonny back to his best in the coming season, probably not as consistently brilliant when he came back last season, you wouldn't expect it after almost 2 seasons out with badbjnjuries. For me he's still our number 1 fb/wb and one of the first players on the team sheet. RAN is slightly better going forward but not much but he's still got development in him.
Semedo is the most athletic of the 3...its great to have those 3 options imo.

johnnybetchas

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I agree Carmel is lovely and it is easy to see why Clint Eastwood has property there. The golf courses around Pebble aren't too bad either. I particularly liked Spyglass Hill.
Huntington Beach is a nice part of South LA - it rivals Santa Cruz for Cali surfing.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And the punchline is that within months of selling him, after mostly looking very mediocre with us, Hoever will suddenly turn world class!
If he does go to PSV he'll be playing in an inferior league. That combined with more minutes could bring the best out of him. Doesn't mean we were wrong to sell him if he does start looking good. At best he's 3rd choice here.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think you'll see Jonny back to his best in the coming season, probably not as consistently brilliant when he came back last season, you wouldn't expect it after almost 2 seasons out with badbjnjuries. For me he's still our number 1 fb/wb and one of the first players on the team sheet. RAN is slightly better going forward but not much but he's still got development in him.
Semedo is the most athletic of the 3...its great to have those 3 options imo.

If the variation of formation thing is true, and Bruno is planning on playing a back 4 and a back 5 depending on game/opposition this season, Jonny would be the first choice starter as a wing-back (either side) for me, but behind Semedo and Ait-Nouri in a back 4.

Players like Coady and Jonny could be used primarily when we play a back 5.

Makes having options and different types and styles all the more important. Like you say, having those 3 options is great.

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
I think this about the partnerships between the players is spot on. Looking back, Doc did a great job of working with Traore. Arguably the best any player has achieved at working with him. Think Doc is a smart footballer , used his understanding to compensate for not being the most gifted technically.

Also, Jonny and Jota had a great understanding that brought out the best in each. Add in the link between Jota and Raul at that time and you can see why what worked 3 years ago just doesn't work now.

Neto and RaN have good techique, however haven't yet got that understanding of working with the team. I think this may be a lot of the problem with Hwang, too. They too often look like they don't really know what they are supposed to be doing, so end up either wasting possession or stopping and playing the safe but pointless pass back. Not helped by lack of movement and support. Disappointing that after a whole season of apparently mostly practicing attacking, it still seems to depend on individual brilliance or defensive mistake to get our chances. Defensively, until the run in, you could see that team understanding was there. But not there anywhere else on the pitch.
I think it has been an issue for a while. Players just don't seem to have clicked - maybe not helped by all tbe chopping and changing - as you said, especially with Jota and Raul; they seemed to know what the other was going to do, and needed. I think the same with Podence; needs players on his wavelength. And with Silva making runs and not being found. It worries me thst we don't have better patterns of play and it does seem like they are not singing from the same hymn sheet. How many times have we fired a ball across goal with no-one there.

Before Neto got injured against Liverpool there were glimpses of what he and Raul can do, and we need thst all over the park

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depends on the clause. It could be the whole sale fee, could be the amount above the original fee, could be tiered, etc
True but there is normally a standard. That doesn't mean it can be varied though. I would think though in Hoever's case to base it on the total fee would be a poor part of the contract for us.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everything works on balance and while Nuno'reign at that time favoured success we did not take notice of where it was not working so well.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the variation of formation thing is true, and Bruno is planning on playing a back 4 and a back 5 depending on game/opposition this season, Jonny would be the first choice starter as a wing-back (either side) for me, but behind Semedo and Ait-Nouri in a back 4.

Makes having options and different types and styles all the more important. Like you say, having those 3 options is great.
Surely thats the other round? Johnny and Semedo as full backs in a back 4; RAN and Semedo as wing backs in a 5?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely thats the other round? Johnny and Semedo as full backs in a back 4; RAN and Semedo as wing backs in a 5?

No, because statistically speaking, Semedo and Ait Nouri are better defenders (especially in duels, which occur more when using a back 4) and Jonny is better going forward!

Semedo and Ait Nouri are also not borderline midgets like Jonny, so losing a centre back has less impact aerially if they both play.

NothingButNeto

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Twelve of the twenty clubs in the Premier League haven't signed a player yet, including any of the three promoted teams

But why let the truth get in the way...
Because other teams have strengthened and shown deals can be done….

Our competition in villa and Newcastle have all made signings to improve their squads.

I dont give a **** about the promoted clubs, we are ahead of them and they are relegation fodder especially Forrest who lose 8 players or something stupid due to loans and stuff.

Look upwards and see that deals are being done.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I’m not a fan of it but I can imagine Lage going with Jonny rcb so they can flip in and out of a back 3 and 4 through out games.
Can also imagine Chiquinho and Giles getting plenty of opportunity as wingbacks for their crossing, especially once we get a target man style centre forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom