Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am generally bloody awful getting me head around the ins and outs of FFP, but now that threat of sanction is out of the way I cant see a reason why Wolves cannot spend some 25-50m without fear regardless of players leaving. Whether they will or not remains to be seen , but thats a completely different issue from "we cant because of FFP"

Absolutely. There are two sides to it. I know there's an inbuilt fan concern that FFP is used as an 'excuse'. But at the same time, it is a reality. It's a reason, not an excuse. But it's a reason that cuts both ways. Fosun are genuinely limited by FFp in that they can't simply do what City or Chelsea did to get where they are. They can't come in and plow 300 million into the team and buy a 120 million pound player. We HAVE to find another way to get there. Which is where the esports etc comes into it. But on the flip side, Wolves have put in enough work at becoming a sustainable premier league business that the same FFP rules that stop Fosun chucking in all that extra money would now allow Wolves to probably spend 50-70 million before selling Neves without having to worry about FFP.

That's not to say they will. There need to be thoughts given to value for money, for the right players, for the next few years and not just one transfer window, etc.

But basically....FFP is a genuine reason why Fosun can't just do what City or Chelsea did. But it's also a reason why the club coul now spend reasonably big if they choose to. We'll need to wait and see if they do choose to.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then hopefully Fosun will sell the club to somebody that can.
Why would anyone want to spend the millions needed to do this without any prospect of a return and if someone had the available funds and motivation to waste them why would they choose Wolves, as opposed to any of the other dozen or so top tier clubs, who are also unable to compete with the top Manchester and London clubs on their own terms?

Fosun do at least have a strategy. What is the alternative within current FFP restrictions and within the realms of reality?

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The sell-to-buy strategy would be far more palatable if we actually sold the players who were surplus to requirements instead of just loaning them out, hoping that they'll magically catch some other club's eye like a twinkle of silver foil. We have a ridiculous number of players on our books who will likely never play for Wolves, but we parcel them around because there's no market for them. For example, hawking Cutrone for £5m to some gullible club willing to take a punt would be a shocking loss compared to what we paid, but it's still £5m in the pot we won't otherwise get, because we sure as hell aren't going to sell him for £15m if that's what we're waiting for.

As damaging as spaffing £35m on Fabio was, it's really no different to buying five players for £7m a pop and then recycling them to Grasshoppers or Godknows FC in Portugal and hoping they hit a purple patch. Spending within our means is fine, but it would nice to actually spend it well and not go prime Del Boy and end up with a lock-up garage filled with left-handed tennis rackets that we can't then shift.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why don't we buy horta as he is pretty cheap.
With the world cup approaching and the fact he’s only just been called up to the national team, I imagine he probably prefers a move to Benfica where he’ll know he will start for a Big 3 team, in a league he’s used to, and also get UCL football to give him more of a chance to be in that squad come November.

I agree though, he is a great player. A right footed left winger whose scored 22g + 10a in all comps this season, & on paper sounds like a player that would suit Lage’s system very nicely. Coincidentally enough, he’s also very good mates with our Ruben.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My ex mrs thought the world was flat for 39 years of her life until we watched the International Space Station documentary beaming back live pictures of a round earth.

She was genuinely bamboozled
It’s my favourite conspiracy theory (closely followed by people who don’t believe the moon landings).

Some people shouldn’t be allowed to breed lol

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s my favourite conspiracy theory (closely followed by people who don’t believe the moon landings).

Some people shouldn’t be allowed to breed lol

I had a bloke saying that the moon's a hologram and all food produced is trying to posion us by the royal family. So he only eats food he grows in his garden, but fasts for a couple days after every day he eats Incase they got it in his food.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The sell-to-buy strategy would be far more palatable if we actually sold the players who were surplus to requirements instead of just loaning them out, hoping that they'll magically catch some other club's eye like a twinkle of silver foil. We have a ridiculous number of players on our books who will likely never play for Wolves, but we parcel them around because there's no market for them. For example, hawking Cutrone for £5m to some gullible club willing to take a punt would be a shocking loss compared to what we paid, but it's still £5m in the pot we won't otherwise get, because we sure as hell aren't going to sell him for £15m if that's what we're waiting for.

And how much money do you think we would make if we sold those surplus to requirements?
Doubt it would amount to much.
Presumably, however, we are making money from their loans (covering their wages and making a loan or small fee when the time comes?)
As for Cutrone, he wasn’t bought to loan out, he was clearly bought to play, but it didn’t work out. It happens.

HowfenWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Basically they just want us to tread water in this division.No intention of spending money to improve the squad or challenge the teams at the top. Transfer window will be another disappointment as we pay over the odds for unknown/unproven/average players.
Palhinha has been coming here for at least 3 years - all smoke & mirrors -prove us wrong jeff, sign him. someone who will help this team & excite the fans - because we"re probably one of the most boring bland teams in the league You talk about attracting new fans around the world - well they won"t be getting up at stupid o"clock to watch our recent displays thats for sure. Fans want entertainment & goals - its that simple

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As for Cutrone, he wasn’t bought to loan out, he was clearly bought to play, but it didn’t work out. It happens.
100%. It happens. And given Cutrone’s inability to make a go of it at any of the clubs we’ve loaned him to, it seems it’s all down to him.

I’ve said before on Cutrone, I think he’s just one of those players for whom it will click later in life. He’ll have a purple patch around 28-29 and become hot property again for a few years. He’ll have a great run in a european cup competition and fans on messageboards will be clamoring for their club to sign him. But he’s just not got the right mentality for it yet.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I had a bloke saying that the moon's a hologram and all food produced is trying to posion us by the royal family. So he only eats food he grows in his garden, but fasts for a couple days after every day he eats Incase they got it in his food.
Must be a Baggie.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Then hopefully Fosun will sell the club to somebody that can.

So looking at the options you would prefer to be owner either by some dubious oligarch who will use us for sportswashing away his association with human rights abuses, or some mythical magical owner who happens to want to spend his hard earned billions on us with no expectation of a return?

I realise Fosun have their own dubious associations with a shady regime, but at least they're trying to run us as a viable, growing business rather than a PR plaything to cover up torture.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So looking at the options you would prefer to be owner either by some dubious oligarch who will use us for sportswashing away his association with human rights abuses, or some mythical magical owner who happens to want to spend his hard earned billions on us with no expectation of a return?

I realise Fosun have their own dubious associations with a shady regime, but at least they're trying to run us as a viable, growing business rather than a PR plaything to cover up torture.
So you don't think sportswashing had anything to do with Fosun buying us then?

HowfenWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Dirty Leeds fans had plenty of entertainment and goals this season, and stopped up by the skin of their teeth!

Thanks but I'll settle for mid-table mediocrity.

We'll be lucky to get mid table after this squad has been gutted. I hope we get some decent replacements in (especially for Ruben) but based on the last few transfer windows I can't see it.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'll be lucky to get mid table after this squad has been gutted. I hope we get some decent replacements in (especially for Ruben) but based on the last few transfer windows I can't see it.
Just hoping that this window will be more productive. To me it doesn't make sense for Fosun to almost deliberately allow us to be relegated because of the effect on the value of their investment, but who knows what plans they have!

WinchWolf

Reaction score
Shocking of Shi to say that fans around the world and eSports fans are just as important as local fans and the problem is local fans not being on the same page as the rest of the wolves fans around the world. I'm not expecting too many signings now.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shocking of Shi to say that fans around the world and eSports fans are just as important as local fans and the problem is local fans not being on the same page as the rest of the wolves fans around the world. I'm not expecting too many signings now.
be interesting to see how many of those fans still support us if we get relegated

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So you don't think sportswashing had anything to do with Fosun buying us then?

I'm sure that's part of why they bought us, as **** as that sounds. But if the choice is between Fosun or an oligarch (who let's face it are the only type of owner going to bankroll a Man City style splurge) then on balance I'd rather Fosun.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's clear why they bought us. Take a championship club for 30m, invest a big initial outlay, get promoted, then get 100m in TV money every season, whilst keeping a higher value company on the books.
Lots of billionaires are looking at Championship clubs to do this now.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The largest indicator that Fosun will not do that is that they wrote off their loan to us, to have another loan whilst still having equity tied in the club is a very unorthodox and tax inefficient way of doing things and highly unlikely.
That indicator may be true but ultimately , all business is not down to financials, unless there is no cash available.
It is at the owners discretion. and what they want to achieve. They have set the budgets , and targets and they can change them.
Tax and past inter company financial transactions are secondary . Its product and image /branding that is the primary reason for WWFC existence .

Last edited:

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They bought us solely for the brand and badge. Clearly obvious from the Ask Wolves transcripts
Yes they spent heavily to position the brand into the limelight of the PL. Now it’s in place , ( for one season more ) , FOSUN will spend as little as possible of their own money to try and maintain mid table obscurity. What awesome ambition !
The bull**** about CL places and challenging for top four places was always a pipe dream. They could easily have achieved it this season with a decent window , but no , minimalistic Jeff shone through
What an absolute kick in the face to all loyal fans to now be told you are a clan, that isn’t wanted and they just want to promote e bloody sports and fashion
We’ve been duped big time

D

Deleted member (smith)

They bought us solely for the brand and badge. Clearly obvious from the Ask Wolves transcripts
Yes they spent heavily to position the brand into the limelight of the PL. Now it’s in place , ( for one season more ) , FOSUN will spend as little as possible of their own money to try and maintain mid table obscurity. What awesome ambition !
The bull**** about CL places and challenging for top four places was always a pipe dream. They could easily have achieved it this season with a decent window , but no , minimalistic Jeff shone through
What an absolute kick in the face to all loyal fans to now be told you are a clan, that isn’t wanted and they just want to promote e bloody sports and fashion
So you’ve been duped big time? They misled you when they invested their 200 million and now you want them to leave? Have I got that right? Hope you do better due diligence before you let anyone else buy.

champions league places could have been easily achieved? This century there have been 22x 4 =88approximately available places…..do you know how many have been achieved by non big six clubs? Well Leicester certainly….

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So we're not in the best place the club has been since Jaws was at the cinema?

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wolves at the door: Billionaire owners insist they will be bigger than Manchester City... so watch out Premier League​

• Jeff Shi, Wolves executive chairman, has high hopes for top-flight newcomers
  • Shi doesn't balk at the suggestion that the club wants to match Manchester City
  • Their opening four displays in Premier League suggest that they are here to stay
  • There are plans to expand Molineux, eventually perhaps to a 50,000 stadium
Published 15th September 2018.

Of course it has stuck in the mind after so many dark hours, days, nights, weeks, month, years and seasons of doubt!

I am not resetting any expectations. Just remembering what was said.

So why not remember what's been said since where hes admitted his naivety with that comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom