Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheConcourse

It's not hysteria though- it's simply reading what is coming out of the club directly from Sellars, reading what is coming from Spiers and Oatley indirectly and triangulating it with the net spend of the last 5 transfer windows.

All of those indicators together are corroborating to provide the truth.
But you’re also disregarding the nuances of what’s happened in the world and at the club.

Did you expect Bruno to bring in 6 players last summer, totally transform the style without having a look at who we have and their attributes up close?

What if we backed him to the hilt and he was a resounding failure?

There’s so much assumption on both sides, and so many variables that it’s almost impossible to win any kind of debate.

I get your argument. I’d love Jeff to be a little braver too. I also think a bad window spells trouble next season, but there’s a lot of twists and turns before then.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we have no money now unless we sell how could we have had bids in for sanches and batman in January
Unless it was all bull**** again!!!
Interesting point . But was that official ?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said last night that I don’t expect us to spend much on a net basis, but that this could still allow a fairly extensive first team refresh. A couple of caveats to that.

Firstly, attracting the players we want to “the project” is getting harder the more we look to have plateaued. Secondly, Jeff and Fosun cannot be blind to the opportunity cost of failing to make Europe next season, when we were in a strong position in the last window. Between the money a good run in the Europa League would generate, and the higher Premier League prize money to have qualified, that’s around 30m alone, and that doesn’t factor in the boost to brand value from further exposure.

It’s possible that these factors, along with the waning impact of the pandemic, might change Fosun’s view on how tight to keep net spend, and that’s even if Fosun do not wish to inject significant capital. Pure speculation of course.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And I've got years in Audit so I'm guessing we are seeing this from two different perspectives.
Surely the cash flow is really discretionary because the owners of WWFC can inject cash .
Yes you can say WWFC is a separate legal entity with no cash . But it is controlled by its owners .FFP is the only true constriction.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that’s been impacted by the pandemic to be fair. It disrupted the flow of transfer business for at least a year.
I agree to an extent, but the pandemic affected all clubs and a number have done better during and since.

Brighton, West Ham, Palace, Leicester and arguably Newcastle have done better than us. Others have worsened; Everton is an obvious example.
As well as being a god-awful time for everyone, the pandemic was an opportunity for some businesses to take stock and put in place strategies that would help post-pandemic. Have Wolves?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely the cash flow is really discretionary because the owners of WWFC can inject cash .
Yes you can say WWFC is a separate legal entity with no cash . But it is controlled by its owners .FFP is the only true constriction.
The largest indicator that Fosun will not do that is that they wrote off their loan to us, to have another loan whilst still having equity tied in the club is a very unorthodox and tax inefficient way of doing things and highly unlikely.

R

reanswolf

That’s a good point actually, maybe we should discuss this more? :)
Very true, but that single idiotic transfer certainly raises more questions than answers.

Maybe FOSUN have out the clamp on spending because of that.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last summer hoped for and expected more. I really thought we’d bring in a CH and CM even with a couple of days of the window to go. I’m even more certain we will this time and it needs to be well before the end of the window, however it s far too soon to be throwing toys out of your pram at the moment. If we sell Neves I’d expect players coming in within weeks not days.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yup. Wolves clearly had around 25 million to spend last summer. They were linked with a few deals at roughly that amount -with the selling clubs in each case wanting more than that. We can speculate as to whether the Hwang transfer came out of that pot or not, but that still leaves us with the idea that Wolves have money to spend. Factor in that the club are now free of the break-even UEFA sanction, and now have four years of Premier League profit on the books, with the promotion losses aged out of FFP, and Wolves are in a healthy position to go big if they want to. Before even thinking about Neves money.

I'm not saying they will. Maybe they won't. We'll see. But if the will is there, Wolves can spend.
I am generally bloody awful getting me head around the ins and outs of FFP, but now that threat of sanction is out of the way I cant see a reason why Wolves cannot spend some 25-50m without fear regardless of players leaving. Whether they will or not remains to be seen , but thats a completely different issue from "we cant because of FFP"

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Could Guo purchase Palhinha? Of course!

Could Guo purchase Guedes? Of course!

Could he do both of those without selling Neves? Of course!

The debate is not really about external factors (FFP, CCP or Pandemic) it is about how much does our billionaire want to bankroll us? He can literally pay for anyone - Moshiri does it, Sawiris does it but Guo is choosing not to.

And that is his prerogative. But let's stop pretending it's anything other than that.

He is setting his own restrictions and Wolves have to live by them.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here's a crazy thought... maybe they still have it and intend on spending it this summer.
Why not wait until the end of the window.

If yow think that was crazy of jos,just wait till he does start.He ay even warmed up yet. :tonguewink:

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we fail to spend this summer transfer window, are people going to continue to say next transfer window is our most important?

Last window was our most important imo and Jeff and Sellars failed in style. They've made every subsequent window 10x harder. Best players leaving, contracts expiring - stinks of a management team well out of their depth who don't really know what theyre doing.
The difference is we were 7th in Jnauary , on a decent run of form and capable of a push for europe. The next January window 2023 , we could be in a very different position in the league. January windows are the time to make tweaks. The summer is the time to make the larger changes. Thats why this summer 2022 window is a "**** or get off the pot" moment for me. Its defining for the reign of Bruno ( it looks like he is staying) and its defining for our premier league status. 3 or 4 new members of the first team required, is the first step. I can accept that a number will leave. Thats the way things are in Premier League football if youre not a sky six member.

On a side note, I really hope we go for it in both cups this year

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would say the hysteria has started early this year....but I remember the past few seasons! I swear that I'm a lot happier now I only check in infrequently! The peddlers of doom have no hold on me this season!

The thing is,they now know we need reinforcements,and we need to do it early.If jeff and co are still faffing about late into the window.Then it should be them that are removed from their posts.If he car grasp that then he's no good at the job.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The largest indicator that Fosun will not do that is that they wrote off their loan to us, to have another loan whilst still having equity tied in the club is a very unorthodox and tax inefficient way of doing things and highly unlikely.

I suspect writing off the loan to Wolves is linked to seeking new investors, most likely from the US given the Peak6 link. Simplifies matters for the investor if they are simply dealing with owner equity and commercial loans. Soft loans, especially when large relative to the company value, bring uncertainty in valuing the company since the owner can play the card at any time.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the Saiss thread a few people talk with a bit of concern about us losing quite a few of the big characters in the dressing room.
Perhaps the clubs hope is that when these players move on it will encourage some of the younger and presently quieter players to step up into more vocal and dominant roles within the squad.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very loose link but Martim Neto and his partner are posting pictures of themselves on a plane with gold hearts asking people to guess where they’re going….
His mrs posted a story after and they’ve just gone to the Dominican Republic on holiday lol

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The debate is not really about external factors (FFP, CCP or Pandemic) it is about how much does our billionaire want to bankroll us? He can literally pay for anyone - Moshiri does it, Sawiris does it but Guo is choosing not to.

And that is his prerogative. But let's stop pretending it's anything other than that.
A big difference is the context of our club's ownership. Fosun is an investment company, with directors and shareholders who set policy and expect results in line with it. Many of the companies that own football clubs are contrived structures that simply facilitate a personal vanity project. There is in effect an autocratic owner. I don't doubt for a minute that Guo has ultimate control, but he operates within a far more conventional business environment than many of our rivals. You cannot make comparisons across Premier League clubs on this basis, because of the variety of "ownership" structures and the different motivations behind them.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He is setting his own restrictions and Wolves have to live by them.
The slight flaw in your argument is that Guo doesn’t own us Fosun do. We are part of a massive company with several divisions and we are part of their plan to grow into the leisure/sports market.

With regard to the gnashing of teeth regarding sell to buy. Under Fosun we’ve always sold players and used that towards buying other players. We sold Costa and Cav at the end of our first season in the Prem, many were doubtful then. We sold Douglas, Baath and several others at the end of of our Championship season. Yes we had a net spend but we also had loan to buys as well which spread the payments. Jota, Boly we’re loan to buys as were Jonny and Raul. It’s our model. If as reported we have £30 net to spend I’m comfortable with that as we’re going to be selling players to change the squad.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Well we offered about 20m for them they wanted near 30m so I’m guessing we have about 25m and 12m of that went on Mr Hwangy leaves us with 13m plus whatever else TV revenue has come through or whatever
What deferred payments are we owed by other clubs ?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've nw doubt we have numerous targets or a plan.... palhinha, Nico Gonzalez, guedes, Rafa Silva , Chiek doucoure, maxi gomes, a centre back.

But it will all be dependent on moving neves, traore, donk, maybe podence or Gibbs and one of Raul or Silva out....hoever, cutrone,jordao ,will it all fall into place , probably not but it won't all be done in a couple of days...

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They have been saying this for years.

I don’t trust what the papers say, who is going to come out and say we have X to spend? The price will automatically go up.

seems to me Barca ( drinking the lager ) and wolves are on the same page.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not to forget that self sufficiency just isn't possible in top flight football.
Well thats not strictly true,although i agree the vast majority of clubs run on debt,there are some that make it work
Ajax,Atalanta,Alkmaar,Villareal,Leipzig,Napoli plus others all make consistent profits with way less TV money income
Yes i know they are not Prem clubs but all can be classed as top clubs on the Euro stage
Its not impossible,just very difficult to sustain long term

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember when Arsenal had ‘only’ £30m to spend one Sumer, then spunked over £100m?

Sometimes if other clubs think you have no money or need to sell to buy, it can help to keep prices lower than they could be.

I can’t think of a time when it’s useful to go out and make people think you’ve got a load of cash to spend!!

Clubs will cotton on though when it's done every year.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect writing off the loan to Wolves is linked to seeking new investors, most likely from the US given the Peak6 link. Simplifies matters for the investor if they are simply dealing with owner equity and commercial loans. Soft loans, especially when large relative to the company value, bring uncertainty in valuing the company since the owner can play the card at any time.
Absolutely, the value of the company rises massively without debt, plus makes us a far more attractive product for new investments or even to the banks knowing that Wolves have enough saleable assets leverage against any increased. One thing never criticised Fosun for is that, no doubting that financially they've done an absolutely unreal job to turn Wolves into an attractive investment.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well thats not strictly true,although i agree the vast majority of clubs run on debt,there are some that make it work
Ajax,Atalanta,Alkmaar,Villareal,Leipzig,Napoli plus others all make consistent profits with way less TV money income
Yes i know they are not Prem clubs but all can be classed as top clubs on the Euro stage
My only argument against that is most of those have one thing, access to regular European football, Wolves being in the English leagues does not have that luxury.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Very loose link but Martim Neto and his partner are posting pictures of themselves on a plane with gold hearts asking people to guess where they’re going….
Dubai? Where he's going to propose to her?
Possibly not the answer Wolves fans were looking for...

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Premier League, with its high commercial income stream and position in the international player market should be an environment where it is possible. We have to take into account however that it was set up and has been maintained to facilitate the interests of a minority of its participating clubs. It is a market within which a self sustaining business model can work, but it is not a free market with equality of opportunity. This makes the path our owners are attempting to follow difficult, but not impossible.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My only argument against that is most of those have one thing, access to regular European football, Wolves being in the English leagues does not have that luxury.
Absolutely,but on the other hand they have far less income via TV rights than English clubs do, so probably negates the Euro places if not more,guesswork obviously but feasible

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Mate, why are you coming on the transfer window thread trying to discuss a transfer?

This thread is to debate how much £££ Fosun have in the Wolves FC current account.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So this thread is titled ‘Summer Transfer Window 2022.

We are up to post 4,675 already with nothing but rumours, guesses, media gossip and just about everything else you can think of, but nothing definite or confirmed by our great club.

Don’t we all think we should wait until we get the retained list from Jeff (or whoever). We will then know who is definitely leaving, who is in new contract talks and maybe, just maybe the areas they are looking to strengthen.

From all the rumours on the Mix and in the media the current squad could be decimated before we kick a ball for the new season. Definitely more negatives than positives atm. Let’s hear what Chairman Jeff and Mr Sellars have got to say (although Sellars has previously bored us with his comments earlier last season).

I just hope something positive will be heard. I think we could all do with a bit of cheering up. I know I could!

Does anyone know when the club will announce the retained list?

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
SMe, first time
I would say the hysteria has started early this year....but I remember the past few seasons! I swear that I'm a lot happier now I only check in infrequently! The peddlers of doom have no hold on me this season!
Same, first time I have checked in on here for a week. Missed so many transfers I feel lost. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom