Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymont

Reaction score
Who lands Sven Botman if not Wolves? AC Milan? Newcastle? Going to be sad days if he comes to the Prem to play for the competition.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well they did show an interest when he was at Angers too.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, it doesn't. I think we need 4 first team players before we lose anyone. Doesn't matter how many players are currently here, some are clearly leaving, some aren't good enough and some will become our depth.

3 strikers is still fairly light.

Our wide attackers don't contribute goals so we need to improve that and Traore and Trincao are probably off anyway. Neto and arguably podence if you class him as a wide player are the only ones first team ready. We don't have much quality there.

We are overloaded with centre halves but 2 options there are leaving in Saiss and Marcal and we just need upgrades.
That’s fair, but then I wouldn’t call them 4 additions plus replacements, they’re all replacements it’s just that some are for players we want to move.

Either way, we’re broadly in agreement then, it’s just semantics (and I’m pedantic!) in that I’d call that improving on the quality of what we already have as opposed to additions. If we bring 4 in I’d say we need to be moving players on in their positions.

I’d say we need to improve on our CB’s, add a CM and improve on another and I’d agree we need to improve on a winger.

I can take or leave a 3rd CF, depends on the profile of winger/forward we sign and if they can play centrally too.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I get the frustrations on this page but to make sense of it, I would describe that we are really fishing in three separate pools*:-

1) Mendes' top clients - Guedes and Palhinha fit this bill
2) Mendes big potential - Andre Almeida and Martim Neto may be that
3) Our own Scouting network - Slonina could be an example

If I look at our last 3 windows' business since the pandemic, we aren't doing enough category 1, are overpaying on category 2 and just doing rubbish on category 3:-

1) Semedo, Sa
2) Silva, Chiquinho, RAN, Trincao, Vitinha
3) Marcal, Mosquera, Hoever, Hwang, Jose

* We do actually have a fourth category which is "Punts for Grasshoppers" that includes Bolla, Kawabe, Sang-bin and Toti which we are spending too much time on.

Last edited:

JTWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I get the frustrations on this page but to make sense of it, I would describe that we are really fishing in three separate pools*:-

1) Mendes' top clients - Guedes and Palhinha fit this bill
2) Mendes big potential - Andre Almeida and Martim Neto may be that
3) Our own Scouting network - Slonina could be an example

If I look at our last 3 windows' business since the pandemic, we aren't doing enough category 1, are overpaying on category 2 and just doing rubbish on category 3:-

1) Semedo, Sa
2) Silva, Chiquinho, RAN, Trincao, Vitinha
3) Marcal, Mosquera, Hoever, Hwang, Jose

If we were to get two from each pot this Summer, and they all worked miraculously, that would be good enough.

* We do actually have a fourth category which is "Punts for Grasshoppers" that includes Bolla, Kawabe, Sang-bin and Toti which we are spending too much time on.
Do you think we have over paid on RAN and Chiquinho?

I agree in principal that the 1 or 2 marquee signings. We need one or two as a minimum this summer. Fishing in pond 2 and 3 will not end well I feel

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Do you think we have over paid on RAN and Chiquinho?

I agree in principal that the 1 or 2 marquee signings. We need one or two as a minimum this summer. Fishing in pond 2 and 3 will not end well I feel
Tbh no- and we haven't actually overpaid on Vitinha or Trincao either just the prices were set too high.

Personally, I think the names in 1 and 2 are okay- we just need to make sure the £20mill plus spends are for big dogs not potential.

Our main problem is that when we do anything outside Gestifute it is terrible.

Last edited:

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spiers throwing Mendes under the bus in his latest piece and then absolving Sellars of any blame as he's basically (according to Spiers) only responsible for the academy..

Quite believable if it wasn't for the fact that Sellars himself said:

"important that we all try and get to the same decision. I don’t want to sign players that he doesn’t want and I don’t ever want to sign players that he wants and I don’t want. It’s very much a team decision.”

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220525-103604_The Athletic.jpg
    Screenshot_20220525-103604_The Athletic.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 150

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spiers throwing Mendes under the bus in his latest piece and then absolving Sellars of any blame as he's basically (according to Spiers) only responsible for the academy..

"important that we all try and get to the same decision. I don’t want to sign players that he doesn’t want and I don’t ever want to sign players that he wants and I don’t want. It’s very much a team decision.”
It's not really new information from Spiers is it. We know that most of our transfers come from Mendes and as one if his clubs we get both the good and the bad of it. E.g. Traore going to Barcelona on loan and Sa coming here for a steal

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbh no- and we haven't actually overpaid on Vitinha or Trincao either just the prices were set too high.

Personally, I think the names in 1 and 2 are okay- we just need to make sure the £20mill plus spends are for big dogs not potential.

Our main problem is that when we do anything outside Gestifute it is terrible.
Should have bought vitinha

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score

Don't want to jump on the Tim Spiers bashing bandwagon but two things about that post that worry me. Sellars is a key Jeff Shi ally (yes man). If the Adama deal is a Gestifute deal, what's the point of Sellars?

I think Spiers is also quite condescending towards us fans (his only audience btw) and that doesn't help his own cause. We are intelligent enough to form opinions and I think many of us would have expected that by now as an established Premier League club we would have someone with a bit more experience, track record and gravitas in the Dr of Football role than an Academy Director playing the role of his master's apprentice.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not really new information from Spiers is it. We know that most of our transfers come from Mendes and as one if his clubs we get both the good and the bad of it. E.g. Traore going to Barcelona on loan and Sa coming here for a steal

True but he completely absolves Sellars from any blame regarding our failed transfers.
If he's only head of the academy as Spiers implies then why does he speak of himself as having any say on incomings and outgoings.

In the piece itself Spiers describes how Lage wanted to keep Ruddy but decision to release him was taken above him.

Well by who? Not Mendes I imagine.

And no I don't disagree with letting Ruddy go. But it's not very clear who calls the shots at Wolves.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
True but he completely absolves Sellars from any blame regarding our failed transfers.
If he's only head of the academy as Spiers implies then why does he speak of himself as having any say on incomings and outgoings.

In the piece itself Spiers describes how Lage wanted to keep Ruddy but decision to release him was taken above him.

Well by who? Not Mendes I imagine.

And no I don't disagree with letting Ruddy go. But it's not very clear who calls the shots at Wolves.

Well going by what sellers has previously said surely it's him, manager, head of scouting, probs some finance person and Jeff, as a committee.

With the Adama transfer I personally think Adama maybe didn't want to play here anymore, wolves didn't have an offer for him, so asked mendes to sort it out.

Just my opinion

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hold on to your hats everyone

EXCL: Aston Villa exploring possibility of signing Diego Carlos from Sevilla. #AVFC want a centre-back & rate Brazilian as one of Europe’s best. Potential fee + salary could be problematic & may need exits first but 29yo among the options.

As usually Villa willing to throw money at people, highly doubt this comes off,

Villa must have such a leaky transfer department everything is coming out

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well going by what sellers has previously said surely it's him, manager, head of scouting, probs some finance person and Jeff, as a committee.

With the Adama transfer I personally think Adama maybe didn't want to play here anymore, wolves didn't have an offer for him, so asked mendes to sort it out.

Just my opinion

I think you're right.
And of course Adama wanted to go and in most cases that's the sensible thing to for a club in that situation.
My problem with that deal is:
1) Dressing it up as it benefitted Wolves. It really didn't
2) Not buying a replacement. Not necessarily a direct replacement but a player for another much needed area (CM).

Also with all the talk of Mendes. I'm quite sure it wasn't his decision to go through the season with only 3 midfielders or to buy Hwang even before we needed to.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think you're right.
And of course Adama wanted to go and in most cases that's the sensible thing to for a club in that situation.
My problem with that deal is:
1) Dressing it up as it benefitted Wolves. It really didn't
2) Not buying a replacement. Not necessarily a direct replacement but a player for another much needed area (CM).

Also with all the talk of Mendes. I'm quite sure it wasn't his decision to go through the season with only 3 midfielders or to buy Hwang even before we needed to.

1) In hindsight we can see it failed but in another time and place adama rips it up and we get 30 mil. Only thing I can see is he either knows he's not all the big now and signs a contract or wants to move permanently.
2) We did replace him with Chiqunhio as a direct replacement, but yes we did and still do need cms, however without knowing what or who was on offer or the budgets, can't say.

3) Hwang is a weird one, there's either something in the loan contract to play so many games or he has dirt on Bruno. I dont understand the reliance on him. This summer mendes will be all around the neves deal so will know we have money to spend

Money in the books helps with Amortisation. As usually the fee is spread across the contract not all up front

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just for thecrecord TimSpiers has always been Anti Fosun .. Anti Mendes . Same with E and S ..

I bet it's because they don't get anything now, all big news seems to be percy and nationals etc

Seems strange though when the club tell us one thing and him another.

Has he just wrote it up wrong and it should be along the lines of wolves needed to move Adama and Mendes helped the deal.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just want to say, Tim Spiers is a massive gob****e who looks down his nose at Wolves fans.

He's got no independent sources at the club. They dried up when Lambert and our old backroom staff were given the boot.

He's never got over the Boilesen medical saga when he fell for a fake account on twitter.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

EXCL: Aston Villa exploring possibility of signing Diego Carlos from Sevilla. #AVFC want a centre-back & rate Brazilian as one of Europe’s best. Potential fee + salary could be problematic & may need exits first but 29yo among the options.

Sevilla are using Villa to wring a bit more cash out of Newcastle.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Andre Almeida looks like the budget Matheus Nunes. If Man City signed Nunes, I bet Sporting would sign Almeida, so it makes sense for us to get in there otherwise this lad will be City's two years down the line.

Exactly the principles that were mentioned when we signed Chiquinho.

Getting in there before the big boys in Portgual do.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well Chelsea have got £200m to spend, ENIC are putting £150m into Spurs; Newcastle will spend as will Villa, Everton, Leeds etc.

Meanwhile we are chasing a 21 year old who played 30 times for Vitoria last season and most won’t have seen or heard of with a manager that makes Saunders look like Fergie, Wenger, Klopp and Pep all rolled into one. It’s like Fosun have suddenly turned into the Venkys. They do realise that our brand value will plummet if/when we get relegated.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just for thecrecord TimSpiers has always been Anti Fosun .. Anti Mendes . Same with E and S ..

Is he? He's been complimentary in the past, not least after it was obvious they meant business and that succes started to follow.
It's obvious though that he's biased, especially toward those who treats him well and give him bits and pieces.
Edwards was always a fave and its obvious now that he gets lots of info from Sellars now.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score

Villa must have a first team squad of about 78 players. It seems to me that they've only sold Target and everyone's favourite drunken Man City cheerleader in the last five years.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well Chelsea have got £200m to spend, ENIC are putting £150m into Spurs; Newcastle will spend as will Villa, Everton, Leeds etc.

Meanwhile we are chasing a 21 year old who played 30 times for Vitoria last season and most won’t have seen or heard of with a manager that makes Saunders look like Fergie, Wenger, Klopp and Pep all rolled into one. It’s like Fosun have suddenly turned into the Venkys. They do realise that our brand value will plummet if/when we get relegated.
It's not what you spend it's how you spend it. Last summer a lot of people had Chelsea to win the league based on their signings, they finished miles off it. Villa were supposed to be challenging for Europe, again miles off it. Everton and Leeds, really not the best examples to choose

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is he? He's been complimentary in the past, not least after it was obvious they meant business and that succes started to follow.
It's obvious though that he's biased, especially toward those who treats him well and give him bits and pieces.
Edwards was always a fave and its obvious now that he gets lots of info from Sellars now.

It's hard not to be complementary when things are going well.

It's when things aren't going so well that his pointed remarks come to the surface again.

I actually don't think it's necessarily a problem he has with Fosun. But I do think that his writing style sometimes plays to the crowd a little. Most of his readers are probably older men, who themselves have always had suspicions and concerns about Fosun's intentions. So that undercurrent has always remained, whether he's writing for the E&S or The Athletic.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

The big 6 will always spend money

Newcastle are owned by saudis so just a play thing

Villa spent 100 million last summer to finish 14th

Clubs always spend and yet we finished above those clubs excluding spurs and Chelsea

Let the window play out just because those advertising money are linked to every man and their dog, let them spend their money. Then judge it on the pitch transfer are a risk.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Billy Gilmour leaving Chelsea permanently if Chelsea don't want him in the first team.

Sombody we should definitely look at to replace João Moutinho.

Chelsea must have a lot of selling to do this summer with the limits coming in to loaning over 21 players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom