Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It does seem strange that Sellers is nw the devil , and Kevin Thelwell was the devil but is nw the god of recruitment.....we was linked with hwang under thelwell, and tried to sign him before he moved to Leipzig......it was widely reported that Dendonker and Cutrone were Thelwell buys ....

Do people seriously think it was Scott Sellers who signed Fabio, Trincao, Wiliam Jose and forced Jorge to move Doherty , Jota and Traore on.....

Will all recruitment there will be good and bad...
Well said. I often wonder what it is about Sellers that seems to generate such ire? There seems to always be the suggestion that he is somehow not "qualified" for the job he does, or not "experienced" enough. Neither seems a particularly well founded criticism. If he had a foreign name, or was an ex-pro with mates amongst the pundits, would that make him more suitable? As has been said on here before, our recruitment is far more likely to be crucially influenced by Mendes than Sellers and that is unlikely to change. I don't think Scott Sellers comes across badly when interviewed. What is it about him that causes so much of an issue?

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Notknew ..been on here years and understand the crap posted on here.. do not mind criticism but believe should wait until window closes as many things are about to change ..
I do wear rose tinted glasses about Wolves but I remember the Bhatti days when my beloved club was minutes from extinction so anything is better than that ..
I have everyone on ignore except you :D that helps

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The clowns who paid:
1. 35 million - fabio silva
2. 27-35 million- nelson semedo
3. 12 million - hwang
4. 17 million - cutrone
5. 4.5 million - loan fee trincao
Yes ait nouri and sa were good signings but that's 100 million outlay i have listed above and if we were to sell today (aside trincao)we would be lucky to get a third back. Semedo is decent but never worth the money we paid.
Do you trust sellars to spend 100 million this summer if we sell neves , traore and gibbs- white?

If you were offered an 18yo Harry Kane for £35m would you pay it?

There’s a reason why the fee was that high in the first place. Both Wolves and Porto obviously know his potential worth in an ever inflating market which is why we’ve came to the agreement we have.

Rhian Brewster was £23.5m and has 3 goals on 41 Championship appearances.

Fosun will also look at the DCA of the squad as well as individuals, so signing the likes of Neves, Neto and Chiquinho allows for higher risk higher reward investments - such as Fabio.

Semedo’s been a good signing.

Cutrone and Trincao not many (if any) moaned about at the time. They haven’t worked out, it happens.

Hwang we should’ve waited on before buying.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well said. I often wonder what it is about Sellers that seems to generate such ire? There seems to always be the suggestion that he is somehow not "qualified" for the job he does, or not "experienced" enough. Neither seems a particularly well founded criticism. If he had a foreign name, or was an ex-pro with mates amongst the pundits, would that make him more suitable? As has been said on here before, our recruitment is far more likely to be crucially influenced by Mendes than Sellers and that is unlikely to change. I don't think Scott Sellers comes across badly when interviewed. What is it about him that causes so much of an issue?
Was thinking exactly the same. He seems to have done a good job with the Academy which is a critical part of our model. He took over just as COVID took off and we had a season that lasted over a year that must have hampered recruitment. Yes we paid a lot for Silva but that was signed off by everyone and if Raul’s injury hadn’t happened people may still be chuntering but not as much as they are. Semedo looks a good player and was who Nuno wanted. We’ve also had FFP constraints as well which have now gone, whilst people might dispute this we’d look pretty silly qualifying for Europe and then find ourselves hamstrung because we ignored their directive.

Whilst everyone criticised Sellars no one comes up with a realistic alternative.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you were offered an 18yo Harry Kane for £35m would you pay it?

There’s a reason why the fee was that high in the first place. Both Wolves and Porto obviously know his potential worth in an ever inflating market which is why we’ve came to the agreement we have.

Rhian Brewster was £23.5m and has 3 goals on 41 Championship appearances.

Fosun will also look at the DCA of the squad as well as individuals, so signing the likes of Neves, Neto and Chiquinho allows for higher risk higher reward investments - such as Fabio.

Semedo’s been a good signing.

Cutrone and Trincao not many (if any) moaned about at the time. They haven’t worked out, it happens.

Hwang we should’ve waited on before buying.
I think the Hwang deal was more of a financial year issue, doing it this year may be better than next. Bruno obviously likes him whilst we can see his flaws. I can see how he’d work in a pressing team as he has that energy, it doesn’t work if you’re the only one doing it, and he needs a lot of work on his skills and technique.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree...it's all very strange.....they moaned for years we haven't got football people on the board....well Scott is one....he got promoted as such because he has been heavily involved with the academy set up, in which he seems to have done a fantastic job and we are starting to see it paying off ....I would suggest that side of it is still primarily his job as such.....he certainly isn't the one pulling the strings with first team recruitment....

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was thinking exactly the same. He seems to have done a good job with the Academy which is a critical part of our model. He took over just as COVID took off and we had a season that lasted over a year that must have hampered recruitment. Yes we paid a lot for Silva but that was signed off by everyone and if Raul’s injury hadn’t happened people may still be chuntering but not as much as they are. Semedo looks a good player and was who Nuno wanted. We’ve also had FFP constraints as well which have now gone, whilst people might dispute this we’d look pretty silly qualifying for Europe and then find ourselves hamstrung because we ignored their directive.

Whilst everyone criticised Sellars no one comes up with a realistic alternative.
The club admitted the FFP was not an issue last summer so I think it’s time people stop alluding to the fact it was.

Semedo has improved this season but is still well below what I’d expect for the amount we paid.

As for Hwang, you really shouldn’t pay £14m for a player that needs “a lot of work on his skills and technique”.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think the Hwang deal was more of a financial year issue, doing it this year may be better than next. Bruno obviously likes him whilst we can see his flaws. I can see how he’d work in a pressing team as he has that energy, it doesn’t work if you’re the only one doing it, and he needs a lot of work on his skills and technique.
Could well be, and wouldn’t surprise me.

He may also have been signed for a formation/system we aren’t playing yet.

Again, it’s one we should have some patience and perseverance with - myself included.

Cuban Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I think that we just have to be patient and see what happens, like a few on I here to remember the Bhatti days, and before, not old enough to have gone to games through the 50's but remember going to both legs of the EUFA cup final, that famous Leeds game, and even was at Scarborough when a Wolves fan fell through the roof.
I have seen Wolves through all of the divisions, believe me, our famous club has been through hell and back. Man City even ended up if I recall correctly, ended up in the old third division at one point and look at them now.
We are a provincial team, with out the bright lights of London, or the (don't know what??) about Manchester, but we have a history, a proud history. Teams change over time, they evolve, they have to, much has been said about the big six, the game has changed insomuch that money dictates. It is the earning power of Europe combined with richer owners, the premier league income that separate them and us.
For me I think we have done well, over the very recent seasons, including this one. It has been a bumpy ride, but what else do you expect with Wolves.
Lets see what happens, we can shout, moan dance on tables or whatever, but overall lets enjoy the ride, because we are and will always be THE WOLVES.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think with Sellars the problem is everyone sees him as a youth team coach not a power broker
In his interviews he toes the party line too much and says things fans dont want to hear
He may be totally qualified for the job but that doesnt make him the right fit,being a yes man is not whats required

As for FFP i believe it has held us back over the last few seasons,but will we now release the purse strings one more time?
Its a difficult situation for Fosun in the current climate,but it needs to be done this time around
A total overhaul of the squad is needed,certainly 3/4 or even 5 players required with genuine quality
Thats a tough ask i know,but it really is whats required whether Bruno stays or goes

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we drop the criticism and negativity until after the window ends .. no one knows what will happen .. if we are not happy after the window ends then let rip .. everything is speculation now .. people will leave .. new players arrive just let it be .. there are suprises happening and I believe will be a good window .. its up to Bruno or whoever to gel them as a team .. I know the aim is top 6 .. will we acheive it who knows .. but they will give it a good go next season
But...but...but project over HWang Devil, Moxley out!

I'd love to see us make a genuine top 6 tilt. It felt like we were imposters this season even when results were excellent!

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The club stated that it wasn’t an issue. We bid for the CH from Lille so either that was a lie or we could have spent more than we did.
Might have just been that FFP didn't stop us going in for Botman at the reported £25m or whatever it was and FFP didn't stop us going (at least a bit) higher, but we refused to bend over backwards for Lille (who it seems can be quite difficult to deal with)

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Notknew ..been on here years and understand the crap posted on here.. do not mind criticism but believe should wait until window closes as many things are about to change ..
I do wear rose tinted glasses about Wolves but I remember the Bhatti days when my beloved club was minutes from extinction so anything is better than that ..

It will be interesting to see the squad come 6th August and then at the end of the transfer window

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Might have just been that FFP didn't stop us going in for Botman at the reported £25m or whatever it was and FFP didn't stop us going (at least a bit) higher, but we refused to bend over backwards for Lille (who it seems can be quite difficult to deal with)
And now he’s out of our price range so another great deal for the club.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And now he’s out of our price range so another great deal for the club.
There is that!

Wasn't he supposed to be going to Newcastle in January for about £30m and Lille upped the price at the last minute?

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is that!

Wasn't he supposed to be going to Newcastle in January for about £30m and Lille upped the price at the last minute?
They do seem to have form for that. Seem to work on the principle that you’ve worked so hard to agree to pay x you’ll pay y won’t you.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or both are true?

Could be that spending £25m on Botman wasn’t an issue with FFP, but pushing it to £30m or beyond was.
It’s possible but I’m sure if we wanted him we could have put some basic add-ons into the deal. It seems odd we pay £35m for potential but balk at less for a player that would have walked into our starting XI.

The fact we were after Botman shows we wanted a CH. Alternative CH are available and if we’d got one in last summer they could well be bedded in by now which would make a huge difference because as we’ve seen with Semedo it takes players time to adapt to the PL.

Last edited:

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s possible but I’m sure if we wanted him we could have put some basic add-ons into the deal. It seems odd we pay £35m for potential but balk at less for a player that would have walked into our starting XI.

The fact we were after Botman shows we wanted a CH. Alternative CH are available and if we’d got one in last summer they could well be bedded in by now which would make a huge difference because as we’ve seen with Semedo it takes players time to adapt to the PL.
We could have negotiated add ons but if I’m negotiating on one price and it changes overnight on the whim of the seller I am less likely to continue because where will it end. Negotiate the add ons and then oh we’ve thought of something else you’ll need to pay a bit more.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
We could have negotiated add ons but if I’m negotiating on one price and it changes overnight on the whim of the seller I am less likely to continue because where will it end. Negotiate the add ons and then oh we’ve thought of something else you’ll need to pay a bit more.
as Newcastle found out

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So go elsewhere? As I said there are lots of CHs out there that would have improved us.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Perhaps, but if they thought Botman was a done deal they may not have had time to complete another.

There are plenty of CB options, you’re right, but perhaps the club decided to wait for the best option than to settle for a lesser one and sink a chunk of our available funds in to someone who we may need to improve on again.

I guess we’ll find out this summer if we go back in for a good CB again and get them this time. If we do then perhaps waiting was vindicated, if we don’t, or we settle this summer instead then it wasn’t.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps, but if they thought Botman was a done deal they may not have had time to complete another.

There are plenty of CB options, you’re right, but perhaps the club decided to wait for the best option than to settle for a lesser one and sink a chunk of our available funds in to someone who we may need to improve on again.

I guess we’ll find out this summer if we go back in for a good CB again and get them this time. If we do then perhaps waiting was vindicated, if we don’t, or we settle this summer instead then it wasn’t.
Leaving negotiations until the last minute hands the seller the upper hand unless they desperately need the money. Like flying, leaving it until the last minute may get a bargain but equally it might prove very expensive. We’re very lucky that in first part of the season Saiss was excellent, if he’d been like he has since the ACON we would really have struggled. Fine margins and if you keep operating on the edge you eventually get caught out as we saw when Raul got injured and in CM this year.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The club stated that it wasn’t an issue. We bid for the CH from Lille so either that was a lie or we could have spent more than we did.
I think botman n Sanches last summer were dependant on Neves leaving myself......had neves left which was mooted , I think we would have purchased the two ...we didn't do A cause B didn't happen and then tried desperately late in to get Sanches on loan..

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think botman n Sanches last summer were dependant on Neves leaving myself......had neves left which was mooted , I think we would have purchased the two ...we didn't do A cause B didn't happen and then tried desperately late in to get Sanches on loan..
We were bidding for Botman right at the end of the window and even we aren’t stupid enough to sell Neves that late without a replacement.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder how many CMs we'll be bringing in.

Could be down to just Cundle.

Neves sold, Joao contract expired and Donk not good enough and apparently interested from Italy.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All this talk of incoming transfers makes me laugh - don't people remember anything from the past ?

D

Deleted member (smith)

There’s no way we’ll be able to afford to pay the kind of fees that players ready to hit the ground running usually command. Last year we balked at the £25m for a centre half and its likely we will need about 4 or 5 players to step into the team. Consequently I think we could well bring in a couple of Moutinho type signings, players towards the end of their career available on a free, or for a low fee, but obviously commanding higher than average wages. If not the money available will be spread very thinly and given recent transfer windows the likelihood of unearthing four players at bargain prices is very low. I just hope Fosun realise that this window could have a massive impact on the value of their asset and don’t keep trying to do things on the cheap. It certainly is time to focus on the here and now rather than buying players that might be ready for the first team in three years time.
To be fair it’s not just the fee it’s the wages….Manchester city has two players on a basic 375000 pounds a week…..the lowest paid player in their squad earns more than the highest paid player at wolves ( believed to be 100,000 pounds per week) .there is absolutely no way wolves can financially compete with big six for any player. In my world view 8th is really second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom