Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Summer Transfer Window opens on Friday 1 July 2022 and closes at 10:59pm on Wednesday 31 August 2022.

Perhaps someone more in the know than me could explain the situation. I was of the impression, from previous comments on the Mix, that limitations imposed on our transfer dealings would end at the end of the current season giving us much more freedom to spend. If my understanding is correct then it would go some way to explaining the underwhelming January Transfer Window business and give us some positive hopes for the Summer Window.

If Fosun are sticking to their originally stated plan then they will need to do some serious teambuilding in the Summer. If they have changed their plan, for whatever reason including Chinese Government dictates, then we should be told.

Bruno Lage has shown himself to be a very good manager and any further lack of support could see him on his way, Which would be a great pity in my eyes.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What situation do you want explained?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think all this came from a podcast where Kieran Maguire mentioned that we have still committed to UEFA's spending restrictions as part of our settlement/punishment for breaking UEFA's FFP rules when we qualified for Europe.

Link to article here: Kieran Maguire talks Fosun and FFP at Wolves

Whether this is true or not, we should raise some significant funds this summer from the sale of Traore and maybe even some of our younger fringe players.

I, like most Wolves fans, expect that to be reinvested in the team.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
The Summer Transfer Window opens on Friday 1 July 2022 and closes at 10:59pm on Wednesday 31 August 2022.

Perhaps someone more in the know than me could explain the situation. I was of the impression, from previous comments on the Mix, that limitations imposed on our transfer dealings would end at the end of the current season giving us much more freedom to spend. If my understanding is correct then it would go some way to explaining the underwhelming January Transfer Window business and give us some positive hopes for the Summer Window.

If Fosun are sticking to their originally stated plan then they will need to do some serious teambuilding in the Summer. If they have changed their plan, for whatever reason including Chinese Government dictates, then we should be told.

Bruno Lage has shown himself to be a very good manager and any further lack of support could see him on his way, Which would be a great pity in my eyes.
Bruno was out of work for a year or more before we gave him a job. He's done well but don't make him out to be a Mourinho-like star coach who Lords over their employers. Why would he walk away? Is he so coveted after half a season in the PL? There were plenty who questioned whether he would last till Xmas as short time ago as November. We have got points on the board but we've hardly lit up the Prem with our exciting attacking play. He's sorted out the defense, granted, but there is still much work to do on the attack. So no, I'm not afraid Bruno will walk away. He's doing a good job with good players at his disposal and I hope the trajectory is up until the end of the season. Let's see the situation then.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno wouldn't walk if we sold Neves, Raul, Semedo, Neto and didn't replace them.

On the window itself, Moutinho is clearly going to go, Saiss probably too - probably going to need at least four first-team signings, if not more. And that's while keeping hold of Neves.

Another year until we have to worry about losing Pedro due to his injury.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
TWO months long, not 1 as in January.

Twice the volume of negativity. Twice the gloom and doom on here.

There are at least 2500 different deities throughout recorded history, and - even as an atheist - I've started praying to each one of them already to help me cope...

... but then, who knows, we might sign someone and, whoopsi doo, the world's a lovely place.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think all this came from a podcast where Kieran Maguire mentioned that we have still committed to UEFA's spending restrictions as part of our settlement/punishment for breaking UEFA's FFP rules when we qualified for Europe.

Whether this is true or not, we should raise some significant funds this summer from the sale of Traore and maybe even some of our younger fringe players.

Thanks WolfLing. If I have read that correctly it would appear that we are 'out of jail' at the end of the season. Is that your understanding?

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno was out of work for a year or more before we gave him a job. He's done well but don't make him out to be a Mourinho-like star coach who Lords over their employers. Why would he walk away? Is he so coveted after half a season in the PL? There were plenty who questioned whether he would last till Xmas as short time ago as November. We have got points on the board but we've hardly lit up the Prem with our exciting attacking play. He's sorted out the defense, granted, but there is still much work to do on the attack. So no, I'm not afraid Bruno will walk away. He's doing a good job with good players at his disposal and I hope the trajectory is up until the end of the season. Let's see the situation then.
You are reading things into my post that are not there!

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The year 20-21 (when we bought Fabio and Nelson and had no discernible net spend) was the last year of the UEFA restrictions imposed on us for getting into Europe. This is shown in the paragraph attached.

The finances for that year will be reported in the next few weeks.

However, Wolves will have known the out turn of the year in the Summer of 2021 (given the year ran to May 21) and it is likely we will announce significant profit (£60-70m approximately) particularly because they will have had a quarter of the year befores TV money added in.

UEFA FFP has, therefore, likely had no influence on our dealings over the last two windows except us wanting to remain the right side of it for any future European adventures.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220207-125925_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220207-125925_Chrome.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I can't see Neves staying tbh but how the hell do you find a player to replace him? His will be a massive loss but the fact we have not strengthened the team in a big way for some time and not won anything will hasten his departure. I don't blame him. I think Lage has shown he is a decent manager and should give Fosun the confidence to allow him to re-build the side in his image. I pray we keep Kilman and believe Neto's injury lay off will deter suitors. Assuming Neves goes we will need a complete mf overhaul and a top quality striker. I assume the FFP penalty is behind us and with the Neves and Traore money we will have no excuses for not going into next season with a side aiming at top 4/6.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It really doesn't!

It starts off hinting at a question about FFP, then goes on to talk more generally about Wolves' aims.
It doesn't hint about anything, neither does it generalise about Wolves aims. It is all very clear as per Jonzy's response in #4 .

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It doesn't hint about anything, neither does it generalise about Wolves aims. It is all very clear as per Jonzy's response in #4 .

3 facets need to be considered, I don't know which you feel fall under "the situation"

1) are Wolves allowed to spend in summer 2022 based on FFP? Broadly - yes, within reason.
2) do Wolves have money to spend in summer 2022? Yes, they will have some, especially if Adama goes, although Hwang (+Trincao?) will take some of the budget.
3) do Wolves want to spend money in summer 2022? Yes, IF they can identify the type of targets they want to. But they don't want to splash cash around indiscriminately.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks WolfLing. If I have read that correctly it would appear that we are 'out of jail' at the end of the season. Is that your understanding?

I think as others have pointed out, Keiran Maguire is getting his seasons mixed up a bit. The agreement ended at the end of the 2021 accounting period, which was the end of last season. The figures for this are due to be released later this month or next month.

The figures for the previous seasons are:

18/19 +19.96m (released February 2020)
19/20 -39.30m (released March 2021)
20/21 ??? (due to be released shortly)

So we will need a profit close to 18/19 to tick the box. Whether any allowance for Covid will be made, I don't know?!

I do think this has still impacted Fosun's plans for this season and longer-term. I said at the time we qualified for Europe that it was probably a hindrance to our spending, rather than a help!

What happens if we go back to spending big and then qualify for Europe again? What happens if we qualify for Europe this season?

The reluctance to spend big will be partly because any further sanctions could be harder-hitting. So spending within our means and committing to a break-even model long-term (another way of saying self-sufficient!) means qualifying for the Europa League isn't a problem, as we don't have to adapt our model short-term if we always satisfy UEFA's requirements.

And at the same time, if we grow our off-field revenues longer-term, we will have more money to spend on the field longer-term.

Last edited:

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We all know about midfield. But - on current form - the position I think we'll really need to strengthen is CF, which will cost plenty of money. Raul wasn't the old Raul even before his injury and - putting it mildly - I don't see Fabio as a replacement. There could be a huge job to do this summer, so let's hope they have a list of at least 5 players for each position.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all know about midfield. But - on current form - the position I think we'll really need to strengthen is CF, which will cost plenty of money. Raul wasn't the old Raul even before his injury and - putting it mildly - I don't see Fabio as a replacement. There could be a huge job to do this summer, so let's hope they have a list of at least 5 players for each position.

Sorry Bacon but no CF is influencing a game if they're not getting the ball.
At the minute, Raul is only receiving the ball by dropping deep.

It's a midfield / defence problem for me.
Midfield is too flat and immobile, and plays too close to the CB line to cover for their lack of pace and fragility.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3 facets need to be considered, I don't know which you feel fall under "the situation"

1) are Wolves allowed to spend in summer 2022 based on FFP? Broadly - yes, within reason.
2) do Wolves have money to spend in summer 2022? Yes, they will have some, especially if Adama goes, although Hwang (+Trincao?) will take some of the budget.
3) do Wolves want to spend money in summer 2022? Yes, IF they can identify the type of targets they want to. But they don't want to splash cash around indiscriminately.
Thank you. A much more logical reply. :)

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't see Neves staying tbh but how the hell do you find a player to replace him? His will be a massive loss but the fact we have not strengthened the team in a big way for some time and not won anything will hasten his departure. I don't blame him. I think Lage has shown he is a decent manager and should give Fosun the confidence to allow him to re-build the side in his image. I pray we keep Kilman and believe Neto's injury lay off will deter suitors. Assuming Neves goes we will need a complete mf overhaul and a top quality striker. I assume the FFP penalty is behind us and with the Neves and Traore money we will have no excuses for not going into next season with a side aiming at top 4/6.

He's probably irreplaceable. So you don't try to replace him, you adapt.

I'm trying to think of a recent example and Leicester and Liverpool are probably the closest ones I could think of.

When Leicester sold Kante, Mahrez and Maguire, they didn't replace them directly. They bought lots of good players and adapted the way they played, for a positive long-term benefit.

When Liverpool sold Coutinho, they didn't go out to try and find a replacement no.10/wide playmaker with an eye for goal. They already had Mane, Salah and Firmino in the squad, they'd signed Robertson in the previous window and they bought van Dijk, Fabinho and Alisson in the same/next window. They adapted the way they played more in line with Klopp's long-term vision, spent the money from Coutinho strengthening other areas of the side and went on to finish 2nd, 1st, 3rd in the 3 seasons that followed.

However talented Neves is, Bruno Lage will know how he wants to adapt this side in line with his vision. He will have plans with and without Neves. At the moment, Neves and Moutinho are crucial for how our side operates.

But I expect that when one or both of them go, Bruno will bring in a more combative, defensive central midfielder to enable us to play a back 4 and for our forward players to play a more open, expansive game. It could be Joao Palhinha, it could be someone else.

So rather than try to replace, we will adapt our style to function better as a unit (hopefully) without him. Or if he stays, we incorporate him into that and adapt our style to function better as a unit without Moutinho, etc. etc.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Key additions needed down the spine of the team needed this Summer (although I was saying this after Sevilla). No wing backs or inside forwards required.

GK- Ruddy replacement if Sarkic not deemed good enough
DC- Right footed monster replacing Saiss to allow Kilman to move back to LCB
MC- New Neves foil, dynamic and forward thinking, replacing Moutinho
ST- Big centre forward as Lage has called for

Traore and Trincao money and wages to play with plus wages of all those who leave. With a few other sales (Cutrone, Vinagre etc). Should be looking at a £60 mill war chest plus approximately £250k a week wages before any transfer kitty is provided.

Last edited:

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sorry Bacon but no CF is influencing a game if they're not getting the ball.
At the minute, Raul is only receiving the ball by dropping deep.

It's a midfield / defence problem for me.
Midfield is too flat and immobile, and plays too close to the CB line to cover for their lack of pace and fragility.
I absolutely think the midfield needs strengthening, KB. But as per the article in the Brum Mail, I do think we do need something different up top as well.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just saw the below on Twitter and began wondering if Raul could be off this summer. Pure speculation on my part, but wondered if he'd sold his house and moved into rented accommodation in anticipation of a summer move. Not one I'd put too much thought into leaving purely as I doubt we'd recover our outlay, but at 31 years old with 2 years left on his contract at the end of the season he's likely at peak value in terms of potential transfer fee.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just saw the below on Twitter and began wondering if Raul could be off this summer. Pure speculation on my part, but wondered if he'd sold his house and moved into rented accommodation in anticipation of a summer move. Not one I'd put too much thought into leaving purely as I doubt we'd recover our outlay, but at 31 years old with 2 years left on his contract at the end of the season he's likely at peak value in terms of potential transfer fee.

Wouldn’t read too much in that, he’s had two kids , I think , since he arrived; probably just wanted a bigger place.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we stick to our current way of doing business I imagine we will sell a couple of established first teamers and bring in more young “ talent” from Portugal or South America.
As regards FFP Shi mentioned in his round table that it’s not an issue any longer.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well we have money in the bank which we haven't spent although we have tried. We have no further ffp actions AND we will have cashed in on Traore and probably somebody else SO we should have around 100 million plus to spend in the summer.

I reckon we will be lucky to spend 30 million and if we spend that much it will be on some u21 wonderkid who isn't ready.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon we can expect wholesale changes I fully expect someone to pay 60/70m for neves plus others being out of contract could leave us with a nice 170m kitty Adama money the likes of dendoncker shifted.

The summer window id want to sign another keeper back up for Sa, a central defender. We’re going to have to totally rebuild the midfield if Neves, Moutinho & Donk leave which means Lage can get his pressing players he wants and a target man striker. So say 7/8 incomings about 15 maybe more leaving.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

I think as others have pointed out, Keiran Maguire is getting his seasons mixed up a bit. The agreement ended at the end of the 2021 accounting period, which was the end of last season. The figures for this are due to be released later this month or next month.

The figures for the previous seasons are:

18/19 +19.96m (released February 2020)
19/20 -39.30m (released March 2021)
20/21 ??? (due to be released shortly)

So we will need a profit close to 18/19 to tick the box. Whether any allowance for Covid will be made, I don't know?!

I do think this has still impacted Fosun's plans for this season and longer-term. I said at the time we qualified for Europe that it was

What happens if we go back to spending big and then qualify for Europe again? What happens if we qualify for Europe this season?

The reluctance to spend big will be partly because any further sanctions could be harder-hitting. So spending within our means and committing to a break-even model long-term (another way of saying self-sufficient!) means qualifying for the Europa League isn't a problem, as we don't have to adapt our model short-term if we always satisfy UEFA's requirements.

And at the same time, if we grow our off-field revenues longer-term, we will have more money to spend on the field longer-term.
Excellent post. Don’t know if it’s all correct, but if the club could explain what they’re doing like you did, I’m sure it would remove a lot of the confusion amongst the fans.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon we can expect wholesale changes I fully expect someone to pay 60/70m for neves plus others being out of contract could leave us with a nice 170m kitty Adama money the likes of dendoncker shifted.

The summer window id want to sign another keeper back up for Sa, a central defender. We’re going to have to totally rebuild the midfield if Neves, Moutinho & Donk leave which means Lage can get his pressing players he wants and a target man striker. So say 7/8 incomings about 15 maybe more leaving.
This is a real football club not a computer game. Even Nuno, when he took on a complete rebuilding job after Shamberk, didn't make that level of change at one time.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope we go back in for Vitinha
The price will be prohibitive now he is shining for them. We should target benfica players who are regularly missing out on champions league and i imagine are in debt.

MikeH68

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
TWO months long, not 1 as in January.

Twice the volume of negativity. Twice the gloom and doom on here.

There are at least 2500 different deities throughout recorded history, and - even as an atheist - I've started praying to each one of them already to help me cope...

... but then, who knows, we might sign someone and, whoopsi doo, the world's a lovely place.
Twice the threads, I already started the Summer window on 1st Feb.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well we have money in the bank which we haven't spent although we have tried. We have no further ffp actions AND we will have cashed in on Traore and probably somebody else SO we should have around 100 million plus to spend in the summer.

I reckon we will be lucky to spend 30 million and if we spend that much it will be on some u21 wonderkid who isn't ready.
Is there any evidence that the club don't reinvest just about all the money that comes in? I read posts like this or the claim that Fosun are making money buying and selling players but haven't seen this actually happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom