Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Several things in that Sellars interview that are concerning to me. Will comment more tomorrow on it but one in particular stood out to me where it appears Sellars was suggesting that if Bruno wanted to sign a player that he didnt like it wouldnt happen. That concerns me if this is accurate.

Also this talk about bankrupting the club. I really fail to see how spending say 50 or 60 million on two or three quality players this summer would put jobs at risk or bankrupt us or maybe I am wrong.

I understand the self sustaining model they are going on about but I really feel this will not push us up any higher than we are now and always runs the risk of a potential decline.

We certainly have some very good talent coming though but they alone wont push us on further. The squad will need good investment this summer.

Without running the risk of having too much of a go I find that Sellars interview concerning as to how we might strengthen this summer as we will need to.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Sellers interview is far better than people will make out.

1. We absolutely shouldn't sign players Lage wants but the DoF doesn't. That's how you end up with a disjointed squad of players signed by different managers with different philosophies (Man U are a case in point).

2. The stuff about being prudent is just sensible business, and is aimed at the football world as much as Wolves fans. You'd think Wolves fans would know full well what happens when you strut about waving your wads (*cough* Steve Corica *cough*).

I absolutely have concerns about where we go next (but they're more concerns about the inequality of football than FOSUN), but this interview is largely irrelevant with respect to them.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sellars can say he doesn’t want to spend big so let’s look at the best performing players in the championship for a lot less??

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could this be the summer where we finally buy a central midfielder? We may lose 2 out of our current lot first, but this might be the year we might finally get there?

I have a feeling we are going to be a fair bit busier than recent summers, even if we will only really be spending what we bring in. Think we’ll end up with some kind of swap deal with Barca for Traore, and I can’t see Neves and Moutinho being here (maybe the later for a final year)?

T

TheConcourse

This doesn't bode well.

Scott Sellars: "I understand we are all ambitious and want to go to the next level – there’s no doubt I’m ambitious and I’m sure supporters are too – but I’m also realistic and I won’t bankrupt the club to go up another two places."

Why is someone in such a key position resorting to the sort of exaggerated BS you see on here? Nobody is asking you to bankrupt the club Scott. We wanted four senior central midfielders in a squad. Or maybe another striker.

Poor from him, should expect better.
That part of the interview is the most telling. Like the team, we’re holding a defensive line.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are a number of reasons why a DoF and manager might disagree about a potential signing. Off the top of my head these include age, current squad balance, wages, resale value, injury record and character. If you really believe a manager should be able to sign whoever he wants you’re deluded and just moaning for the sake of it.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Several things in that Sellars interview that are concerning to me. Will comment more tomorrow on it but one in particular stood out to me where it appears Sellars was suggesting that if Bruno wanted to sign a player that he didnt like it wouldnt happen. That concerns me if this is accurate.

Also this talk about bankrupting the club. I really fail to see how spending say 50 or 60 million on two or three quality players this summer would put jobs at risk or bankrupt us or maybe I am wrong.

I understand the self sustaining model they are going on about but I really feel this will not push us up any higher than we are now and always runs the risk of a potential decline.

We certainly have some very good talent coming though but they alone wont push us on further. The squad will need good investment this summer.

Without running the risk of having too much of a go I find that Sellars interview concerning as to how we might strengthen this summer as we will need to.
I don’t think it’s buying 2 or 3 players for £50-£60m this summer that he suggests will put the club at financial risk. It’s the expectation of doing it every summer.

And I know most on here who complain (me included) will say “but we only need 2 or 3 more players we’re not asking for the world” but you can guarantee we’d be asking for the same next summer and the next.

Unless we go all out, we’ll always be “2 or 3 players” away from the next step.

Even if we spend £100m in the summer to close the gap you can guarantee the clubs above us do the same so does that gap really close?

It’s not about how much we spend, it’s about how we spend it and how we develop the squad. We need to spend well, not more.

My issue with the past few windows isn’t so much not spending enough, it’s have we maximised what we can get from what we have spent. That’s the key point for me and the thing they need to do this summer whether they spend £10m, £50m or £100m.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With all the money that's comes in, surely it's more challenging to bankrupt a Premier League club ?

Nice to see they're getting they're excuses in early for the summer window
It is, unless you spend big and then are no longer a PL club anymore.

Everton will be an interesting test case if they get relegated. They could be in whole worlds of trouble.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With all the money that's comes in, surely it's more challenging to bankrupt a Premier League club ?

Nice to see they're getting they're excuses in early for the summer window
I don't know mate! Everton and Chelsea are trying. Villa too, more low key.

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we had to sell either Neto or neves this summer to fund a spending spree which one would you let go?

Tough as asked me last year would have said neves. But he’s been brilliant under Bruno.

Neto been out for a long time. Will he get his spark back.

These 2 are out crown Jules and a tough choice.

Would love it come next season both are fit and ready with you and we’ve added to the team.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we had to sell either Neto or neves this summer to fund a spending spree which one would you let go?

Tough as asked me last year would have said neves. But he’s been brilliant under Bruno.

Would love it come next season both are fit and ready with you and we’ve added to the team.
Obviously would want to keep both and would be gutted if either left but for me if we have any chance of keeping Neves we have to! Think the coming weeks are going to show just how important Neves is to us we are going to miss him massively...

So if it was a choice between the two I'd keep Neves and sell Neto..

T

TheConcourse

I sympathise with Jeff and Scott.

Neves is the jewel in the crown, but it wasn’t too long ago where we could have probably named our price for Raul, Neto and Traore.

We should have sold Traore after that outlier of a season for big money.

Raul and Neto suffered the horrendous injuries. Those moments wiped 100-150m off inbound revenue.

I’d sell Neves, personally, for 60-70m. He’s been the best player I’ve seen in a Wolves shirt and I’ll be gutted when he goes, but for our strategy to work we have to sell players are their highest point. I don’t see Neves increasing his value anymore here. And I don’t see him wanting to compete for 7th.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Neto all day long......our recruitment connections are stacked with winger type forwards in our price bracket, not so midfielders.....

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If this is true I can't see Adama staying at Barcelona beyond this season....

If they don't buy him, I'm really looking forward to see how the club will spin it as a brillant idea to loan him out for six months for nothing.
The only way this would ever have been a good deal from a Wolves perspective was if it led to a sale. Otherwise it really seems quite stupid.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they don't buy him, I'm really looking forward to see how the club will spin it as a brillant idea to loan him out for six months for nothing.
The only way this would ever have been a good deal from a Wolves perspective was if it led to a sale. Otherwise it really seems quite stupid.
Why not just wait and see what actually transpires?
Maybe there’s an agreement Traore will sign his contract with us if Barcelona don’t take up the option? Maybe there is a loan fee?

If people want to criticise how high the ceiling of our owners ambition is, I guess their entitled too; but at least give them credit for being savvy with our finances.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair that just made me laugh out loud, because it is so true. The excruciating pat on the back Sellars will be giving himself and the "transfer committee" will be comical.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're deluding yourself if after these previous windows you're expecting wolves to sign many first XI calibre of players. In hindsight, the last window turned out to be decent enough. The signings are coming good, and show potential. This is the model we are following, for better or for worse. We all know we need to freshen up the CB and CM, and I'm sure a decent starter for the squad will be signed as will very promising youngsters, but if you're expecting much else you know you're going to be disappointed.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Sellers interview is far better than people will make out.

1. We absolutely shouldn't sign players Lage wants but the DoF doesn't. That's how you end up with a disjointed squad of players signed by different managers with different philosophies (Man U are a case in point).
Isnt it telling though that we arent signing anyone for the first team even though the manager wants more players. Is it that the transfer committee cant reach a consensus so nothing happens. It appears Sellars has a veto - fair enough but it isnt Sellars that will get the flack and I wonder how long our ambitious manager puts up with a constraint that makes him play ther Scott Sellars way.

You bring in a manager to manage, presumably you do your due diligence, and bring him to the club knowing he is a good fit then put your faith in him and support him. The reputation for the type of football Lage had Benicia playing isnt what we are seeing here, he tried it but it was plain we didn't have the players now it seems he is had to alter his methods to suit. We seem to be happy holding our position as a Premier League team - works for a while until your better players, leave, retire or are picked off then you begin to struggle.

Our best players have pretty much all come in under the Nuno tenure, signings post Nuno have been few and far between or really haven’t been the success we hoped.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why not just wait and see what actually transpires?
Maybe there’s an agreement Traore will sign his contract with us if Barcelona don’t take up the option? Maybe there is a loan fee?

If people want to criticise how high the ceiling of our owners ambition is, I guess their entitled too; but at least give them credit for being savvy with our finances.
This is just game of who blinks first. They want us to buy Trincao, we aren’t sure or at least haven‘t said definitely yes.

There’s so much that can happen between now and the start of the new season.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isnt it telling though that we arent signing anyone for the first team even though the manager wants more players. Is it that the transfer committee cant reach a consensus so nothing happens. It appears Sellars has a veto - fair enough but it isnt Sellars that will get the flack and I wonder how long our ambitious manager puts up with a constraint that makes him play ther Scott Sellars way.

You bring in a manager to manage, presumably you do your due diligence, and bring him to the club knowing he is a good fit then put your faith in him and support him. The reputation for the type of football Lage had Benicia playing isnt what we are seeing here, he tried it but it was plain we didn't have the players now it seems he is had to alter his methods to suit. We seem to be happy holding our position as a Premier League team - works for a while until your better players, leave, retire or are picked off then you begin to struggle.

Our best players have pretty much all come in under the Nuno tenure, signings post Nuno have been few and far between or really haven’t been the success we hoped.
Your fallacy is to go on about the role of a manager. We do not have a manager and haven't had going back into the 2M era. We have a head coach.

While a head coach can express views over the type of players that he wants, and indeed suggest names, at the end of the day he takes the squad that he is given.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your fallacy is to go on about the role of a manager. We do not have a manager and haven't had going back into the 2M era. We have a head coach.

While a head coach can express views over the type of players that he wants, and indeed suggest names, at the end of the day he takes the squad that he is given.

And our Head Coach expressed a need for additional players and then……. nothing happened.
Let’s hope Lage can coax performances out of “the squad he has been given” for the remainder of the season now we are minus Neves.
I dont believe that Nuno worked under these same constraints or that people will remember, after the next game, against Villa that Lage has been given a squad with a central midfield CM which looks weak as **** with no option to call on. If we get a towelling - I’m sure they wont.

Last edited:

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And our Head Coach expressed a need for additional players and then……. nothing happened.
Let’s hope Lage can coax performances out of “the squad he has been given” for the remainder of the season now we are minus Neves.
Worrying thought, on the beach syndrome will hit us. Without neves in the middle the creativity is bleak!!

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they don’t buy him, perhaps he’ll come back here, recommit to the club by signing a new contract given the one club he’d want to go to didn’t want to keep him and then get his head down and try to prove why they made the wrong choice.

I’m not suggesting this was in the thinking of the club when letting him go, but wolves could ultimately get a hungrier, more committed Traore out of this which we wouldn’t have had without the loan as he’d have been determined to move on still come the summer.

On the other hand he could still want out and we could have to let him go for a lot less than currently agreed, but then we weren’t exactly flush with brilliant offers last summer or in January to be fair.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Can we really become a top 6 club by spending a mere 50 or 60 million? The current top 6 have been spending way more than that for years. I would assume that's what Sellars is getting at. We could well spend 50 million but that's the sort of money you spend to consolidate in the "best of the rest, probably not in the relegation battle" group. Not top 6. How are Leicester doing?

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

At last!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the Adama Barca deal one thing I had been thinking is we didnt want to stand in Adama's way of seeing if he could make it at Barca again. Could there be a chance he will return here and sign a new deal if things dont work out there? Will we want him back?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Central midfield and a striker are the main areas for me this summer along with one centre back if Boly and Saiss both go. Wing backs we are fine and wide attacking players.

MGW and Ryan Giles potentially have saved us spending a lot of money in those areas for next season as both should be in our first team squad next season.

Ronan is a player who seems to be excelling as well.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sign Ruben and Adama up to long term deals, sack off Hwang to some desperate newly promoted club for a small profit, move on Saiss and Moutinho (with warmest wishes) to free up some space on the wage bill, bring back MGW and sign Sanches, Botman plus 1-2 promising youngsters from the championship. Simple really.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sign Ruben and Adama up to long term deals, sack off Hwang to some desperate newly promoted club for a small profit, move on Saiss and Moutinho (with warmest wishes) to free up some space on the wage bill, bring back MGW and sign Sanches, Botman plus 1-2 promising youngsters from the championship. Simple really.
Botman will go for far more than we’ll be prepared to pay and Sanchez is having another season where he misses lots of games - if he’s like that in the French League God help him in the PL! Both these boats have sailed.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First 3 aren’t too unrealistic.
And to live up to my name I’d actually let half a dozen go if it meant getting them in.

(So odd to think Abraham went for £34M when we paid £35M for Silva)
We tried to sign Tammy........when he was only on loan to championship clubs ....he thought he was too big for us then ........Tammy is decent , but unfortunately he is one of these players in the modern game who thinks he is too good for clubs like ours......

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We tried to sign Tammy........when he was only on loan to championship clubs ....he thought he was too big for us then ........Tammy is decent , but unfortunately he is one of these players in the modern game who thinks he is too good for clubs like ours......
Nketiah on a free anyone??

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was an issue as to if he could of played for us as we’d of been his third club in that season, think he played for Chelsea in charity shield which is considered a competitive game.

You may know more about his attitude than me. But I’ve never thought of him as that type.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was an issue as to if he could of played for us as we’d of been his third club in that season, think he played for Chelsea in charity shield which is considered a competitive game.

You may know more about his attitude than me. But I’ve never thought of him as that type.
Once they have played for the likes of Chelsea they get too big for their boots .....it's too much of a come down for them clubs like wolves ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom