Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Except Sarkic has a near full season in the champ and did really well by all accounts, about as good as you will get as a backup keeper in my eyes.

Don’t disagree with your general comment about doing really well and being a good back up keeper, however just for clarification… Sarkic played 23 league games for Blues so the ‘near full season’ was actually half a season ;)

My only concern with him is his shoulder… that’s the second time he’s injured it to my knowledge so hope there isn’t a long term weakness there

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But despite that, we've never been close to relegation, with, according to you, 4 to 7 disastrous windows. Why is that?

I won't disagree that we need to rebalance/refresh the squad this summer, which I fully expect them to do. And I would bet good money that we will probably finish anywhere between 7th and 13th place again (just like the last four years). It's about the long-game and setting the right expectations. For example, I would have preferred that we brought in a CB and CM last summer, but it wasn't calamitous or disastrous that we didn't, now was it?
That question was answered - we had an excellent first window.

Our team for the first Premier League game had Patricio, Jonny, Boly, Moutinho, Neves, Jota, Jimenez.

Now, without trying to downplay what Nuno did, they could all have easily played for Champions League sides at that time in their career. Maybe not all in England, as in good enough for the top four, but I reckon they all easily start for CL level clubs in England, Spain, Italy or Germany at that point.

So, with seven players, who were largely fully fit, was finishing 7th that good an achievement? It was a good achievement no doubt, but not amazing as these players are class.

The same applies for the season after, and we had the arrival of Traore to that group to become a key player and it's not like the rest of the squad are rubbish.

Now, look where we are.

Patricio has been replaced by Sa, so that's fine. We've actually got a better keeper, I think we all agree.

With the rest though, who is at a top level like those seven?

Boly, Jonny, Moutinho & Jimenez are not near what they were for a combination of factors, mainly injury and age. And it really is not being near those previous levels. They've suffered massively in some cases.

Jota is off and Neves is expected to follow.

Of that 7, or 8 if you want Traore from the second season, we've replaced one properly. ONE!

Of course, the likes of Jimenez, Moutinho, Jonny, Boly didn't go from Champions League level to Championship, so they still ensured we were competitive on the whole. However, it's natural to presume the longer they stay, the worse they get.

Also, don't forget next season we will likely have no Neves and we're judging Sa on a level that we don't actually know if he'll sustain.

Who do we have to step in? Despite the excitement of this forum, none of the young players could make a case to be a top level player right NOW. I'd accept arguments that Ait-Nouri and Neto could reach that level in the future but they're nowhere near it now, in my opinion. Maybe Kilman if we're generous?

Either way, as of next season, we don't have ready-made players to challenge for top 7 in this league as we did following promotion.

So, to summarise, disastrous might be too strong but every window since promotion hasn't been good enough at best, disastrous (January) at worst.

We had been living off two truly incredible windows (Championship promotion year and first year in PL) where we bought in those quality players to make an instant impact and guess what, we got results.

Fans have every right to be hugely concerned about the direction we are heading because this is the window where all that good work initially has finally run out.

That doesn't mean they won't get it right by the way, but we have to judge on recent history and finances available. We've made poor signings in recent windows and have no money. It's not a good combination.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But despite that, we've never been close to relegation, with, according to you, 4 to 7 disastrous windows. Why is that?

I won't disagree that we need to rebalance/refresh the squad this summer, which I fully expect them to do. And I would bet good money that we will probably finish anywhere between 7th and 13th place again (just like the last four years). It's about the long-game and setting the right expectations. For example, I would have preferred that we brought in a CB and CM last summer, but it wasn't calamitous or disastrous that we didn't, now was it?

1. Reuben Neves.
2. Diogo Jota
3. Fully Fit Neto
4. Spectacular Striker in Raul - pre injury

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There will be money for players regardless of whether Neves moves.….how much though , who knows?
And I do believe them more than many on here but that’s not why I believe the money is available.

We‘ve all been down this road before, we know the drill. We have to be patient and wait until something official is said.
Shi keeps a little kitty in the safe in his office.
It contains half a bag of pork scratchings, a grasshoppers/wolves half and half scarf, a 20,000 page breakdown of how e-sports is a sustainable business model for a premier League football club and a signed picture of Guo guanchang.
He offered these for Sven Botman last window, it was accepted but Jeff decided he couldn't part with them.
It didn't fit his idea of self sustainability.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shi keeps a little kitty in the safe in his office.
It contains half a bag of pork scratchings, a grasshoppers/wolves half and half scarf, a 20,000 page breakdown of how e-sports is a sustainable business model for a premier League football club and a signed picture of Guo guanchang.
He offered these for Sven Botman last window, it was accepted but Jeff decided he couldn't part with them.
It didn't fit his idea of self sustainability.
Did you forget about the John DeLorean model on auto factory financing? ;)

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
You misunderstand me mate. I was saying that the window not being open this summer in no way should effect a club signing a player before the window officially opens as Leeds, Villa etc have done. The Hwang deal was done months ago so not really a signing that has been done in recent weeks as Leeds, Villa, Spurs etc have done
Didn't we actually 'sign' a player on a pre-contract, but then the weirdness with Arsenal? Meaning there was at least one deal in place. Maybe not major signing, but nevertheless 'a" signing.

There are what, 4 prem clubs that have deals in place. 2 of them being frees, 2 of them loan players agreeing to a move and not much else.

Granted it would be nice to see something really positive happen early, and while i know previous wiindows have lead to easy pessimism, i don't think it's worth getting too worried yet, or about when a deal becomes official if signed now.

I get what you are saying about the contracts. But i dont think it is a massive concern nothing has been announced yet

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still no sign of a quality centre back

I don’t think people appreciate how important it is for us to change from a back 5 to a back 4

Centre back and centre mid are a state.

If we sign any wide players ahead of a cb or cm, surely sellers etc. loses any supporters they still somehow have.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don’t think people appreciate how important it is for us to change from a back 5 to a back 4

If we sign any wide players ahead of a cb or cm, surely sellers etc. loses any supporters they still somehow have.

I agree regarding the centre back we really need some higher quality there and it needs to be a high priority position this summer, it doesn't matter the order we get them through the door though as long as they get them in.

I don't think we will move away from the back 5 though. Personally think Thelwell decided on the philosophy of the club including the academy being centred around a 343 formation back in the day to avoid us ever signing players who then don't fit the next managers tactics should we change manager along with it being easier for the academy to then adjust to the first team. I think Nuno and Lage both then had to implement their tactics with in that formation and as a result we have only seen a move to a back 4 a small handful of times mid-game rather than from the off. We just require the manager to make it an attacking 343 rather than the defensive 523 we have been accustom to seeing under both Nuno and Lage so far.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if wolves fans get particularly angst ridden because there’s such a dearth of rumours for a top half Prem club - just translated bobbins from ojogo / abola. Meanwhile the bbc rumour page chunters on and on about the super league six (public service broadcaster my arsenal)

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have to hope the Mendes connection will ensure our targets don’t go elsewhere if there is a delay in selling Neves. If not what is already going to be a difficult window will become much harder. Even that’s not ideal as it means we would be narrowing our recruitment pool to Mendes clients.

Obviously CM incomings are essential even if Neves wasn’t leaving but with Saiss gone and Boly looking in rapid decline we also need at least one quality CH. Add in that we desperately need more goals and therefore some change up front and you’d hope we’d start bringing in some of these players sooner rather than later. I was convinced when we didn’t sign Vitinha another CM would arrive last summer right up to 10pm on deadline day. The fact we didn’t leaves me very sceptical that we will get close to what is needed to compete for a mid-table finish. Unfortunately the end of season form combined with anything less than outstanding recruitment points to a relegation battle ahead.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have to hope the Mendes connection will ensure our targets don’t go elsewhere if there is a delay in selling Neves. If not what is already going to be a difficult window will become much harder. Even that’s not ideal as it means we would be narrowing our recruitment pool to Mendes clients.

Obviously CM incomings are essential even if Neves wasn’t leaving but with Saiss gone and Boly looking in rapid decline we also need at least one quality CH. Add in that we desperately need more goals and therefore some change up front and you’d hope we’d start bringing in some of these players sooner rather than later. I was convinced when we didn’t sign Vitinha another CM would arrive last summer right up to 10pm on deadline day. The fact we didn’t leaves me very sceptical that we will get close to what is needed to compete for a mid-table finish. Unfortunately the end of season form combined with anything less than outstanding recruitment points to a relegation battle ahead.

Let’s not forget that many of our players, and many of the targets we’ve been linked to, are also Mendes clients or clients of an agent with close links to Mendes. They ain’t going anywhere without Mendes involved in the deal.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Given Soler is now considered to be in the frame to replace De Jong if he goes to United, potentially Neves has no real suitors.

Is there a world in which we sell our non-first teamers and release others for their wages, that just about gets us the money to land Palhinha, Carmo and possibly Almeida?

I am thinking Ruddy, Marcal, Saiss, Moutinho, Hoever (£5m) , Sanderson (£4m), Giles (£5m), Ronan (£3m), Boly (£5m), Traore (£15m), Bolla (£2m), Cutrone (£2m), Mosquera (£3m), Cundle (£2m)

With the Vinagre money too, surely we can do 2 or 3 deals!

LINEUP111654758626105.png

Last edited:

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Given Soler is now considered to be in the frame to replace De Jong if he goes to United, potentially Neves has no real suitors.

Is there a world in which we sell our non-first teamers and release others for their wages, that just about gets us the money to land Palhinha, Carmo and possibly Almeida?

I am thinking Ruddy, Marcal, Saiss, Moutinho, Hoever (£5m) , Sanderson (£4m), Giles (£5m), Ronan (£3m), Boly (£5m), Traore (£15m), Bolla (£2m), Cutrone (£2m), Mosquera (£3m), Cundle (£2m)

View attachment 28286
You’ve got pod in the team and on the bench.

I wouldn’t be unhappy with most of that - although I’d keep Cundle and Yerson, but sell Donk (and possibly Coady and Podence to buy replacements)

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just setting this out there. Loads of people predicted relegation after the "calamity" of the last summer transfer window; then, we were in contention for top 6/7, nowhere near relegation. So, perhaps we're a little OTT with the claims that things will be "disastrous" and our sell-to-buy policy is "outrageous" and FOSUN/Jeff/Sellars/Vinny are "****e."

I'm sure that we will have some new faces in the squad next year. Lots of things still need to fall into place as players move around and clubs solidify their top choices for incomings--seeing as we're a midlevel Premier League team, we have to wait to see what those clubs above us decide to do first (see Neves and Traore, for example). Let's see what will happen, huh?

The point people of concerned with.is the faffing about bit,as rosy would say.We are sick and tired of this merry go round.It ay a ****ing fairground,it's supposed to be a football club.It's a shorter break this season and we need to see some action sooner rather than later.It may not be Fosuns intentions but they are surely agitating the fan base.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So de jong from barca to united is starting to heat up, if barca get soler, i dont think neves has a suitor?

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That good CB-CM.Could have helped us stay in the top Six though.

Chriswwfc

Reaction score

View attachment 28289

On paper, that is mouthwatering.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 28289
Carmo too slow for back 4 in the PL & Raul needs replacing otherwise looks rather good I’d say

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gavi has a 50 million euros release clause in his contract. Following good performances for Spain, rumour has it that he wants a better deal. Just putting this out there...
They honestly think we would take Mingueza and Puig and no cash are they off their heads?

We need someone of value or forget it

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So de jong from barca to united is starting to heat up, if barca get soler, i dont think neves has a suitor?
They want Neves as Busquets successor, so don’t think that would impact their interest in Neves.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They honestly think we would take Mingueza and Puig and no cash are they off their heads?

We need someone of value or forget it

They don't have any cash - that's the issue. And if they did have to part with some it would be come ridiculous arrangement over 10 years.

I suspect that Mendes' priority is quite simply himself and his agency's revenue: his clients come second and the Clubs including Wolves are simply a bi-product that can solution the first two priorities.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They don't have any cash - that's the issue. And if they did have to part with some it would be come ridiculous arrangement over 10 years.

I suspect that Mendes' priority is quite simply himself and his agency's revenue: his clients come second and the Clubs including Wolves are simply a bi-product that can solution the first two priorities.

While I think you’re right about Mendes priorities, it shouldn’t be underestimated how important it is for Mendes to keep the clubs he has a close relationship with, sweet. If he ceases to be value to them, then he loses privileged access, and that risks his business model. That said, clubs don’t have any permanence in his network beyond their potential value in facilitating deals. So if Wolves don’t do good business with him, then he’s going to be less responsive when we need a favour. Guo’s shares in his company probably helps to smooth over dips in our spend to some degree, and was probably the price of early admittance into his network before we had the spending power to be of real interest to him.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That change from 5 to 4 is nowhere near as important as some think, in my opinion.

CologneWolf

Reaction score

I’ve said that myself. It’s not imperative that we sell Neves to add to the funds we surely have. He will stay, probably signs a very lucrative new deal with the promise of being sold next summer after hopefully a solid World Cup which will see his value go up even more. Perhaps if we miraculously qualify for champions league he even stays longer.

There are probably a few other options we have to get more funds in. All sentimentality aside between Coady Jimenez Traore and Donk there is at least 60m to be had. Add say 30m we surely have already plus10m from the Vinagre sale. That’s 100m

So with 100m to spend we could go big for a CB and this Palinha fella and get a CF and another CM on loan with options to buy.

I’m aware it’s not so simple and I don’t for a second think it will play out in the fashion I have described above but there is 100% funds available and other ways to go about accruing more without necessarily selling off our crown jewel.

Neves stays.

Cornwall Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Being linked by The Sun with Matt Garbett .. Midfielder from Torino and of course Everton and Leicester also interested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom