Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Substitutes

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What’s Bruno’s aversion to making any?!

Get some fresh legs on and give the opposition something else to think about FFS.

Is he making a point to Jeff by putting 2 keepers on the bench when kids could be earring matchday experience? I’ve seen both Leeds and Everton play their kids recently.

If we don’t start rotating, the players are going to be ****ed at the end of December.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is infuriating the late subs all the time, what use is it giving Trincao 5 minutes? Also our £35m striker can’t get onto the pitch at all against two of the worst teams in the league where we need a goal, makes no sense to me.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Get some fresh legs on and give the opposition something else to think about FFS.

Is he making a point to Jeff by putting 2 keepers on the bench when kids could be earring matchday experience? I’ve seen both Leeds and Everton play their kids recently.

If we don’t start rotating, the players are going to be ****ed at the end of December.
To be fair, looking at that bench, the only person who could have come on really was Trincao and he has not been playing that well recently. We didn’t have any game changers on the bench, and that is a massive problem.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, looking at that bench, the only person who could have come on really was Trincao and he has not been playing that well recently. We didn’t have any game changers on the bench, and that is a massive problem.

Not our £35m striker then, who's meant to be getting 10-15 minutes here and there to aid his development? He's a depreciating asset on the bench.

Bueno was great in pre-season. Ait-Nouri was visibly knackered from getting up and down the wing, why not bring him on?

Campbell has bags of pace and can run with the ball. Give him 10 minutes to see what he can do, what's the worst that happens?!

If you're not going to use the subs, what's the point of naming them on the bloody bench.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not our £35m striker then, who's meant to be getting 10-15 minutes here and there to aid his development? He's a depreciating asset on the bench.

Bueno was great in pre-season. Ait-Nouri was visibly knackered from getting up and down the wing, why not bring him on?

Campbell has bags of pace and can run with the ball. Give him 10 minutes to see what he can do, what's the worst that happens?!

If you're not going to use the subs, what's the point of naming them on the bloody bench.
I don’t think it was the game to bring on Bueno and Cundle for their debuts. If we had been leading 2-0 with 10 to go, fair enough.
As for Silva, he can’t be blamed for the price tag but the 3 front players we had on the pitch are more likely to score IMO, and we changed one of them for Trincao anyway.
Would you really have brought on Silva for Raul or Traore?
Maybe could have taken a CB off, I suppose, but Burnley were still capable of causing a problem on the break .

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anybody know why marcal wasn’t on the bench? Injury or another covid?

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think it was the game to bring on Bueno and Cundle for their debuts. If we had been leading 2-0 with 10 to go, fair enough.
As for Silva, he can’t be blamed for the price tag but the 3 front players we had on the pitch are more likely to score IMO, and we changed one of them for Trincao anyway.
Would you really have brought on Silva for Raul or Traore?
Maybe could have taken a CB off, I suppose, but Burnley were still capable of causing a problem on the break .

Why not? They would come on with no pressure at all and have the chance to make themselves heroes.

I would’ve taken Raul off personally, he didn’t get a sniff last night. I’m not a Fabio fan but he does have a knack of being in the right place.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why not? They would come on with no pressure at all and have the chance to make themselves heroes.

I would’ve taken Raul off personally, he didn’t get a sniff last night. I’m not a Fabio fan but he does have a knack of being in the right place.
I think the pressure of your debut and being brought on to change the game (and not give away a chance to Burnley) would have been too much. My opinion.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Far too much of a jump up from a u23 premier League 2 team , and not a very good one to the premier League....cundle is the only remotely close...wouldn't have minded seeing him for the last 10 minutes but in hindsight trincao is still above him in all departments.......Bruno only really had 3 options on the bench last night hoever, Silva n trincao.....and none of those are exactly game changers..

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most of us predicted we would have this problem after a summer which left us with a squad desperately thin in areas until injured players are fit again. Against a team which are capable of a breakaway goal, or winning a corner and scoring from that, it’s understandable that he didn’t go four at the back. Unless you do that, then we started with our best attacking players and unless they’re injured or knackered, you’re just going to persevere with them.

T

TheConcourse

Most of us predicted we would have this problem after a summer which left us with a squad desperately thin in areas until injured players are fit again. Against a team which are capable of a breakaway goal, or winning a corner and scoring from that, it’s understandable that he didn’t go four at the back. Unless you do that, then we started with our best attacking players and unless they’re injured or knackered, you’re just going to persevere with them.
Exactly this. The outcome of poor recruitment. Predicted by a group who are slammed as non-football experts.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People are forgetting that silva knows where the goal is and has good link up play. I think his price tag is actually now causing him to be underrated. He's not incapable, he just isn't 35m worth. Instead we can't score, can't create chances, and still we persist with not even giving him 15-20 mins.

It's as bad as bruno's bizarre use of traore as a sub. Trincao was never going to solve the problem yesterday.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Burnley decided to waste time and shut up shop completely last night after about 65 mins.

The game was crying out for a change from 70 mins onwards.

We could maybe have sacrificed a centre back and put Fabio down the middle.

Or even try throwing on a youngster like Chem Campbell or Luke Cundle, ones who perhaps aren't shackled by the same levels of expectation as a senior player.

They might just want to prove a point or have the confidence of youth to try something spectacular.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know he explained his use of subs a few weeks back saying it’s about how they affect the dynamic and also set pieces, etc. I’m all for thinking outside the box and get that football isn’t as easy as “need more goals, throw more forwards on” and that small tweaks can have huge impacts on games.

However, there comes a point where you can overthink things and not value the most simple and effective things about making changes. Fresh legs and increased intensity can really help and would have helped last night. I posted this on another thread but it wouldn’t have been a bad thing to bring on a youngster (Cundle, Fabio, Campbell) who is desperate to impress. When a young player chases around, makes tackles, plays fearlessly in possession it really lifts the crowd and should be infectious to the players on the pitch too.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know he explained his use of subs a few weeks back saying it’s about how they affect the dynamic and also set pieces, etc. I’m all for thinking outside the box and get that football isn’t as easy as “need more goals, throw more forwards on” and that small tweaks can have huge impacts on games.

However, there comes a point where you can overthink things and not value the most simple and effective things about making changes. Fresh legs and increased intensity can really help and would have helped last night. I posted this on another thread but it wouldn’t have been a bad thing to bring on a youngster (Cundle, Fabio, Campbell) who is desperate to impress. When a young player chases around, makes tackles, plays fearlessly in possession it really lifts the crowd and should be infectious to the players on the pitch too.

Yeah, it gets the crowd going and they have the freedom to try different things, without the fear of upsetting an already frustrated crowd if those things don't go as planned!

Reactions: Ned

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We could maybe have sacrificed a centre back and put Fabio down the middle.

In my mind, Dyche played an absolute blinder with his subs. Maintaining 2 up top with a pacey option, meant there was always a perceived threat on the counter from a hoof (as they are infinitely better in the air and at knock-downs than we are at defending those situations), and locked Bruno in to sticking 3 at the back, especially as RAN/Semedo were effectively playing as advanced midfielders / wingers for the entire game.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my mind, Dyche played an absolute blinder with his subs. Maintaining 2 up top with a pacey option, meant there was always a perceived threat on the counter from a hoof (as they are infinitely better in the air and at knock-downs than we are at defending those situations), and locked Bruno in to sticking 3 at the back, especially as RAN/Semedo were effectively playing as advanced midfielders / wingers for the entire game.

Yeah, agree. It was a bit chess like. When I saw Trincao was coming on, I was hoping it would be for Ait-Nouri.

We've seen Trincao come on for a wing-back and play as a left-mid before, but only when we are behind (think we did it against Brentford).

It wouldn't have been a bad option given how many times Ait-Nouri was one-on-one and/or had the opportunity to cross the ball. Trincao would certainly not have been tackled or crossed it to the first man so many times!

Last edited:

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When he brought Trincao on for Hwang last night I knew that was it and we werent getting a win. It was an obvious and predictable sub when if he had been braver you sacrifice one of the many defenders we have on the pitch, keep Hwang on and bring Trincao on.

Really concerns me that Lage's use of subs and lack of switching formations in games is possibly costing us points in games we should be doing more.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Predicted by many on here, who stated how far short the last transfer window left us (including previous windows).

I respect the board for being diligent with money, but their reluctance to sign players on loan/ freebies with no resale value has left us very light. I’m going to predict now that we’ll be disappointed with how the January transfer window ends.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I know little of our new coach and, like everyone else, learning his ways etc, but the thought has crossed my mind that he just might not be the sharpest knife in the box when it comes to subbing and adjusting the shape of the team whilst not opening up new opportunities for the opposition.
Whenever I think of such problems my mind goes back to Sir Alf, bringing off of Bobby Charlton and our loss of the match to Germany.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it’s been said before and I can’t be ***** to find the thread but what is the point of Fabio being here?

0-0 at home to Burnley, why not bring him on? When will he get a proper game or run of them?

He is rotting here and we are stifling development. Not that I’m saying he’s a world beater but how can he develop sat on a bench.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
He goes quite radical when we're chasing a game, eg Traore nominally at LWB at Villa. I don't think he's one to gamble away a point to try to win 3 though. Although I'm not one to base my philosophy on Mick's, I remember him saying he once told TC to stop looking at the bench on the basis that if any of those players were better than the ones on the pitch, they'd have started. I think that's very much where we are now.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it’s been said before and I can’t be ***** to find the thread but what is the point of Fabio being here?

0-0 at home to Burnley, why not bring him on? When will he get a proper game or run of them?

He is rotting here and we are stifling development. Not that I’m saying he’s a world beater but how can he develop sat on a bench.
We all saw at the back end of last season that coming off the bench for 20-30 minutes, Silva could have a positive impact on the game. He's probably a better player now than he was then, and he cut a very frustrated figure warming up on the sidelines on Wednesday night when I'm sure that with the options at Lage's disposal he would have felt he'd have a good chance for some decent minutes, especially in a game 0-0 where we were huffing and puffing. He should be getting some game time over the Christmas period, whether he does or not, will have to wait and see

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bringing the powder puff Trincao on in a blood and thunder game like that ranks up there with one of the stupidest subs I’ve ever seen.

Shirked a tackle within 30 seconds and did **** all else.

Had he put Hoever right back and Semedo left back like he should’ve we wouldn’t have conceded either.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bringing the powder puff Trincao on in a blood and thunder game like that ranks up there with one of the stupidest subs I’ve ever seen.

Had he put Hoever right back and Semedo left back like he should’ve we wouldn’t have conceded either.
Yep, Bruno's in-game management is rubbish.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hindsight is great but Hoever coming on for Ait-Nouri is the worst sub since Nuno took Jota off at Wembley.

Serious consequences are always possible when you take off your best players on the day in big games.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He did that at Leeds....semedo left side and Leeds scored...

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You don’t know that he wouldn’t have scored if he moved Semedo there. Semedo was not without his faults today, btw.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Does he? The reality is Bruno knows he can't depend on him. £35m of that Jota money wasted as things currently stand. We literally can't afford that. Still no proper replacement for Jota. It is that which has really set us back plus no central midfielder being signed.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really strange. Fabio would have been better than Trincao to come on, at least he knows the league and would put himself about a bit. Semedo to LB and Hoever RB was also a no brainer but you can’t legislate for Hoevers brain fart.

Bruno in the week on the training ground is clearly a fantastic thing. Bruno on match day is Terry Connor.

Ernie the Wolf

Reaction score

Don’t have much on the bench to use according to many on here. They run down Dendonker, Moutinho, Silva, Trincao and then say we are poor at substitutions!!!! Can’t have it both ways!

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Nuno was gonna sell Kilman for peanuts, at least Lage is putting the right players on the pitch to begin with :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

His subs have been below par though and i think the most disappointing aspect of his tenure so far in my opinion.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll just about forgive him the Ait Nouri sub, and can almost understand not disrupting the defence on the right by switching Semedo, but taking off Traore was ridiculous.

He might not have created a lot, but he was pretty much our only outlet and was the only one holding the ball up top. That was a ridiculous sub.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The player Trincao replaced had also been bottling tackles.

Semedo moving to left back didn't go very well v Leeds

Back
Top Bottom