Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Staying @ Wolves - Traore or Trincao or Barca / Sporting Swap Deals??

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The deal is not over yet.
Guo didn’t appoint a fool to manage Wolves.

Take a step back and consider this for a mo……
If Traore comes back what have we lost, in tangible terms? Anything?
And what have we gained? I think we’ve saved about £50,000 every week he was at Barca……not too shabby.

P.S. I didn’t refresh my memory on the terms of the wages in the deal .
What have we lost? One of our key players for half the season just as we were pushing for Europe. I couldn’t really care less what wages we may have saved, if that’s genuinely even entered the clubs thoughts then they are even more short sighted and inept than I thought.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A reminder for everyone on what Sellars said at the time. He said even if Barca couldn't afford to buy Adama, then at least he could perform well and put himself in the shop window. Scott "Mystic Meg" Sellars clearly didn't have the foresight to think about what would happen if Adama didn't play. What a shambles of a deal!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What have we lost? One of our key players for half the season just as we were pushing for Europe. I couldn’t really care less what wages we may have saved, if that’s genuinely even entered the clubs thoughts then they are even more short sighted and inept than I thought.
Key players? No way. He blew more cold than hot, time after time. Look through the Traore threads and read what many Mixers have being saying about him for several seasons.
For a key player he spent a lot of time on the Wolves bench, with Nuno and Bruno.
And how is his Barca performances going?

Besides, if he wanted more than Wolves offered him on his last contract offer and wouldn’t accept it, then Jeff’s hands were tied. ( there are limits to what you pay any player.).

Topcat

Groupie
Reaction score
Just can’t see Adama signing a new contract, he’ll run his existing down and the only hope is he puts himself in the shop window next season.

If we’re lucky we’ll get 8-10 million for him if he leaves in January and he puts in a few notable performances early on.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A reminder for everyone on what Sellars said at the time. He said even if Barca couldn't afford to buy Adama, then at least he could perform well and put himself in the shop window. Scott "Mystic Meg" Sellars clearly didn't have the foresight to think about what would happen if Adama didn't play. What a shambles of a deal!

Sellars also stated we had injured players coming back to replace Adama. Neto of course. One problem Scotty boy. Neto had been out for 9 months and still cant start a game even now. One of the most ridiculous outgoing transfers by a club at that stage of the season I have seen with no real replacement signed but just excuses we had an injured player coming back, who in reality was nowhere near ready.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He didn’t look too unhappy scoring against Southampton & Brentford

I get the point you’re making but Traore isn’t an idiot. We say we won’t stand in your way of a suitable offer comes. I bet Traore & agent couldn’t believe we let him go for nothing.
He didn't - but he would have had a face like thunder if we turned down the approach from Barcelona so he could resume his place on the bench with us. I'm sure his agent would have made that clear "start him or let him go" or something along those lines.

Barca would have also known he had his heart set on a move.

Sucks for us

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Key players? No way. He blew more cold than hot, time after time. Look through the Traore threads and read what many Mixers have being saying about him for several seasons.
For a key player he spent a lot of time on the Wolves bench, with Nuno and Bruno.
And how is his Barca performances going?

Besides, if he wanted more than Wolves offered him on his last contract offer and wouldn’t accept it, then Jeff’s hands were tied. ( there are limits to what you pay any player.).
So then you sell, you don't do a ****ty deal that leaves you hamstrung with a wretch of a player with us and a useful attacking option (personally, I love him, but if he wants off then ta ra) warming someone else's bench. Ludicrously poor business from whoever's responsible- I'm not necessarily accusing you Jeff but I'm sure you had a part in it.

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i nicked this to share on ere...
Jorge Mendes has held a meeting today with Barcelona about players. Pictures showing him in Barcelona today for the meeting

Many players were mentioned including Traore, Trincao and Wolves target Riqui Puig

Reports today confirm that from that meeting, Barcelona will not part with money for Traore, they would like him to stay but would only enter a swap deal. Wolves have said they do not want Trincao to stay so will be looking at other players. Barcelona need to move players on to make room for Xavi’s new summer targets. Most reports state that most likely departure this summer will be Puig, Braithwaite and De Jong...
hh.jpg

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So then you sell, you don't do a ****ty deal that leaves you hamstrung with a wretch of a player with us and a useful attacking option (personally, I love him, but if he wants off then ta ra) warming someone else's bench. Ludicrously poor business from whoever's responsible- I'm not necessarily accusing you Jeff but I'm sure you had a part in it.
Sell him to who?
As far as we know, nobody else wanted him.

So if he’s going to be a free agent and he won’t sign, then why not try to sell him to Barca?

Anybody out there who don’t like the deal, please let me ask you…….what did you want Jeff to do in Jan?

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sell him to who?

So if he’s going to be a free agent and he won’t sign, then why not try to sell him to Barca?

Anybody out there who don’t like the deal, please let me ask you…….what did you want Jeff to do in Jan?
Erm, anything but what they did do: either sell him or keep him so he winds down his contract with us not elsewhere! Come on Jeff, you've had a stinker here.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keep him. His value staying at the club would have far outweighed a loan move, weakening the squad, not to mention weakening his value.

Had he offered nothing = same scenario now, as in regards to his value
He offered something = clubs may have been tempted to spend on him

The Traore fiasco with his contract/loan pretty much sums up the management of Jeff Shi and the committee approach the last 20 months, inept.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Sell him to who?

Not weaken the squad when in with a golden chance of European football. And Adama, even if he wasn’t starting, was playing well and making really useful contributions off the bench against Brighton, United, Southampton and Brentford. He was a valuable member of the squad who offered pace, an ability to transition us up the pitch and a Plan B on those occasions where we weren’t playing flowing football.

Personally, I would have liked us to gamble a little and invest from a position of strength. We were left exposed to any injury/absence of our midfielders (turned out all three have missed games) and/or Podence.

The club gambled (the other way). It backfired and cost us Europe. And possibly Bruno his job.

And Spurs 100% wanted Adama in January (in the club’s defence, not selling him to a direct European rival at the time was the one decision in that window that was correct).

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I’m not sure either but it would make no sense. I think Adama took a 50% drop in wages to sweeten the deal for Barca.
With no loan fee, surely his wages were being paid by Barca.

But if Barca send him back, what have we lost ?
Barca aren't paying his wages, they couldn't fit him under their spending cap.

We've lost out on having a player for the season and gained nothing. I swear Jeff could **** in your mouth and you'd thank him for the drink

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not weaken the squad when in with a golden chance of European football. And Adama, even if he wasn’t starting, was playing well and making really useful contributions off the bench against Brighton, United, Southampton and Brentford. He was a valuable member of the squad who offered pace, an ability to transition us up the pitch and a Plan B on those occasions where we weren’t playing flowing football.

Personally, I would have liked us to gamble a little and invest from a position of strength. We were left exposed to any injury/absence of our midfielders (turned out all three have missed games) and/or Podence.

The club gambled (the other way). It backfired and cost us Europe. And possibly Bruno his job.

And Spurs 100% wanted Adama in January (in the club’s defence, not selling him to a direct European rival at the time was the one decision in that window that was correct).

So Spurs wanted him and Conte wanted to play him as a wing back. Problem is Adama did not want to go to Spurs and told his agent, Mendes, to find another club.
Mendes found him Barca his boyhood club. Adama and Mendes agreed and Shi was then in a no win situation with the cards dealt by the pair of them.
Player power is the modern day football I'm afraid, like it or loath it it's just the way now.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

i nicked this to share on ere...
Jorge Mendes has held a meeting today with Barcelona about players. Pictures showing him in Barcelona today for the meeting

Many players were mentioned including Traore, Trincao and Wolves target Riqui Puig

Reports today confirm that from that meeting, Barcelona will not part with money for Traore, they would like him to stay but would only enter a swap deal. Wolves have said they do not want Trincao to stay so will be looking at other players. Barcelona need to move players on to make room for Xavi’s new summer targets. Most reports state that most likely departure this summer will be Puig, Braithwaite and De Jong...
View attachment 27793
If we end up with Braithwaite...

Puig I don't really rate massively, think he is overhyped because he came through Barca's academy

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In fairness we utilise the try before you buy method, (trincao, willian jose, ait-nouri, jimenez, many more). Traore the only one that its been done to us. Having said that, it was a poor deal really with his contract ending so soon. But we did have to let him go as his heart werent in it and i still think we should sell him now

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

In fairness we utilise the try before you buy method, (trincao, willian jose, ait-nouri, jimenez, many more). Traore the only one that its been done to us. Having said that, it was a poor deal really with his contract ending so soon. But we did have to let him go as his heart werent in it and i still think we should sell him now
Problem is we then owe loan fees. We owe I think over £5M for the pleasure of having the cart horse Trincão on loan

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Or indeed if he played well for us. And this is the clown in charge of our recruitment. Christ.

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or indeed if he played well for us. And this is the clown in charge of our recruitment. Christ.
He might well have played well for us. But he asked his agent, Mendes, to find him another club. His agent, Mendes, did just that. He found him Barca, Adamas boyhood club.

How difficult is it to understand player power in modern football?

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He might well have played well for us. But he asked his agent, Mendes, to find him another club. His agent, Mendes, did just that. He found him Barca, Adamas boyhood club.

How difficult is it to understand player power in modern football?
It completely depends on which player it is. We have Adama on a legal contract so he is obligated to do his job for the club, as they pay his wages. By all accounts, he still trained and worked hard for us during his time here, including up till his final game in a Wolves shirt. If we hadn't of let him go to Barca in Jan, his previous attitude doesn't leave any doubt in my mind that he'd still be a professional and play for us.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It completely depends on which player it is. We have Adama on a legal contract so he is obligated to do his job for the club, as they pay his wages. By all accounts, he still trained and worked hard for us during his time here, including up till his final game in a Wolves shirt. If we hadn't of let him go to Barca in Jan, his previous attitude doesn't leave any doubt in my mind that he'd still be a professional and play for us.
Exactly remember also Adama scored two goals in his last 2 games although one was wrongly not allowed from a dubious var decision before his return to Barca.

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes he had a positive attitude, but come on, he is offered the chance to play for Barca, his boyhood club, and we refuse. I’m sure he would have been non too pleased to put it mildly and then his attitude would have definitely changed.

Player power I’m afraid.

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly remember also Adama scored two goals in his last 2 games although one was wrongly not allowed from a dubious var decision before his return to Barca.
Then if he was happy why did he agree to go to Barca after his agent, Mendes, had brokered the deal?

fleck1

Reaction score
Sell him to who?

I think you are wasting your breath on here.
You have Spurs offering nowhere near what we want and the chance for Adama to play wing back, Barca offering a loan and a chance to return home with an option at £29m if it goes well. Traore won't sign a contract so the clubs hands are tied, so they've gambled with him lighting up the Nou Camp and Barca paying up or sparking interest from other big clubs. Adama has flopped and is now sat on their bench rather than ours, the same people bashing the club are the same ones with Adama tinted specs who think he's a unique world beater.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The consensus is that we've paid his wages, so no savings. Obviously, I don't know if that is true, but it's the rumour doing the rounds!

Saved a lot of time retrieving balls from all over town after shooting practice.

You’d have expected his absence would have galvanised the squad; more time to focus on team moves and shape etc in training. But our performances don’t back that up…

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think you are wasting your breath on here.
You have Spurs offering nowhere near what we want and the chance for Adama to play wing back, Barca offering a loan and a chance to return home with an option at £29m if it goes well. Traore won't sign a contract so the clubs hands are tied, so they've gambled with him lighting up the Nou Camp and Barca paying up or sparking interest from other big clubs. Adama has flopped and is now sat on their bench rather than ours, the same people bashing the club are the same ones with Adama tinted specs who think he's a unique world beater.
Absolutely. Yes. This.

They won’t listen though, this thread will last as long as Molineux Mix.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Boro will likely need a boost to get out of the Championship next season. Just sayin…..

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
The deal was highly contingent upon the swap with Trincao in my opinion. I would suggest that there's two sides of the deal: perhaps, we've let Barca know that we don't want Trincao and we're bargaining for a different player. Or maybe both sides are posturing to lower the fees involved. Who really knows? But I could come up with several plausible, valid scenarios to this situation other than Jeff Shi is an idiot and caught with his pants down (this could be a possibility, but I would bet that it's more complex than that and it's not the most plausible explanation). And remember, Mendes has every incentive to make something positive happen for his clients and their clubs. Let's wait and see, huh?

I don't think that you can fault the club for signing Trincao on a loan with option to buy deal. He was highly rated and he has skills--you don't know if someone is truly suited for the Premier League until they play in it...

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t believe what I’ve read on the past few pages.

Ruben Neves will want to join Barcelona. I think we all agree on that. It would be a dream for him. He would move to a nicer city, he will earn more money, he will play with better players and he will play in the Champions League, all for one of the biggest clubs on the planet.
So, understandably, he would be desperate to get a move there this summer.

THAT DOES NOT MEAN WE LOAN HIM TO THEM FOR NO FEE, WITH NO OBLIGATION AND FOR NO BENEFIT TO US THIS SUMMER.

Sorry for the caps but I can’t believe there’s been multiple posts trying to defend or justify this deal in some way.

His stance may mean you’re open to doing business and you tell the player that a deal can be done if they pay up.

Traore didn’t even kick up a fuss publicly. He didn’t refuse to play, but of course he wanted the move. Like EVERY player in our squad would want to move to Barcelona.

You don’t just give players away because a better team wants them.

Or are we just going to tell Strasbourg that we’re taking that big lump up front off them and they should give him us for free on a season-long loan as he’s always wanted to play in the Premier League?

Traore, Neves or whoever are grown ups. You remind them they’re under contract and if they’re desperate to go you tell them we won’t stand in your way if a suitable offer arrives, and you agree a rough fee with the player & agent on what that may be.

With Traore, at worst case scenario, you say we’ll let you go as it’s obviously a dream move that may never come around again, but you sign a one-year extension to protect us. Even then, it would be awful for us because we lose a player as we chase Europe but at least we’re covered with the contract.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Ruben Neves will want to join Barcelona. I think we all agree on that. It would be a dream for him. He would move to a nicer city, he will earn more money, he will play with better players and he will play in the Champions League, all for one of the biggest clubs on the planet.

THAT DOES NOT MEAN WE LOAN HIM TO THEM FOR NO FEE, WITH NO OBLIGATION AND FOR NO BENEFIT TO US THIS SUMMER.
Other clubs would pay a fee for Rúben his stock and reputation is a lot higher.
NO ONE WANTED TO PAY ANY MONEY FOR TRAORE he refused over a twelve month period to sign a contract he didn’t want to stay at wolves.!

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Spurs wanted him and Conte wanted to play him as a wing back. Problem is Adama did not want to go to Spurs and told his agent, Mendes, to find another club.
Mendes found him Barca his boyhood club. Adama and Mendes agreed and Shi was then in a no win situation with the cards dealt by the pair of them.
Player power is the modern day football I'm afraid, like it or loath it it's just the way now.
Agent power as much as player power.

Saying that, maybe we'll find that Mendes now believes he owes us another favour given the failure of the Adama loan. (ever the optimist!)

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, here's a thought.

Lose money on Adama? Probably.

Loan deal with him and Trincao cost us a place in some Poundland European competition? Possibly.

Do I care? Not really - at least, not about the money.

What will I be left with when Adama finally leaves?

The memories of a player who could infuriate me like no other Wolves player but whose play, on his day, could excite me and thrill me and astonish me like few other Wolves players.

For me, Broadbent and Frank Munro were consistently great, Kenny Hibbitt was the ultimate 100% player, and Ruben Neves, wow, just wow! - but Adama, in that 30 second burst of creativity, set the pulse going no less quickly than any of these.

Get him back, get him to realise that it's now a 16-man game so he plays some of the minutes...

... and continues to excite and disappoint us because that's what it's like to be a Wolves supporter.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Other clubs would pay a fee for Rúben his stock and reputation is a lot higher.
NO ONE WANTED TO PAY ANY MONEY FOR TRAORE he refused over a twelve month period to sign a contract he didn’t want to stay at wolves.!
You’re missing his point. Just because nobody was offering what we wanted for Traore there was absolutely no reason for us to just give him to somebody to help them for the rest of the season with zero agreement in place to safeguard ourselves.

It’s like leasing a car without the dealer charging you the big deposit, without the dealer charging you the full monthly payments and without any contract being signed with the dealer; basically a 6 month test drive for nothing.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’re missing his point. Just because nobody was offering what we wanted for Traore there was absolutely no reason for us to just give him to somebody to help them for the rest of the season with zero agreement in place to safeguard ourselves.

It’s like leasing a car without the dealer charging you the big deposit, without the dealer charging you the full monthly payments and without any contract being signed with the dealer; basically a 6 month test drive for nothing.
And then saying the brakes don't work and the steering is faulty

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can’t believe what I’ve read on the past few pages.

Sorry for the caps but I can’t believe there’s been multiple posts trying to defend or justify this deal in some way.

His stance may mean you’re open to doing business and you tell the player that a deal can be done if they pay up.

Traore didn’t even kick up a fuss publicly. He didn’t refuse to play, but of course he wanted the move. Like EVERY player in our squad would want to move to Barcelona.

You don’t just give players away because a better team wants them.

Or are we just going to tell Strasbourg that we’re taking that big lump up front off them and they should give him us for free on a season-long loan as he’s always wanted to play in the Premier League?

Traore, Neves or whoever are grown ups. You remind them they’re under contract and if they’re desperate to go you tell them we won’t stand in your way if a suitable offer arrives, and you agree a rough fee with the player & agent on what that may be.

With Traore, at worst case scenario, you say we’ll let you go as it’s obviously a dream move that may never come around again, but you sign a one-year extension to protect us. Even then, it would be awful for us because we lose a player as we chase Europe but at least we’re covered with the contract.
I would agree with you, but signing the highly rated Trincao was the calculated risk that we took, it didn't pay off and we now have egg on our face. If he had performed we would have a traore replacement locked into a 4-5 year contract and still potentially get a fee for traore. As it happens, he's been ****.

The club have been had over a barrel, and have been naive. But I can see the logic

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom